(Close Window)
Topic: 13 Steps best effects
After spending a week just skimming in Corinda's book, I'll now begin the actual study of the book, learning and practicing effects. Which leads me to the following question: what are the best tricks in this book? Do you use any on your shows?
After reading so many, I'm overwelmed with so many effects, tricks, possibilities...
Most seem out of date. They are long and cumbersome in process. HOWEVER, they teach a sly deceptive process that can only be learned in books of this callabre. The blindfold section is good, and you may learn a card trick here and there. Look more for the theories then actual routines. I think the most invaluable section is the last chapter on self promotions...
[quote]
After reading so many, I'm overwelmed with so many effects, tricks, possibilities...
[/quote]

Real value of Corinda is not in the effect, don't skim it, study it.
I agree with Luke. I too made the mistake of first "skimming" Corinda for "tricks" - this was when I first bought the book a few years ago. Then, a few months ago, I began studying it in earnest and have learned a lot about basic principles - even in Steps that I at first thought had nothing to offer (such as 2 person telepathy, since I work alone) - but still, literally each page has something incredibly useful to offer.

Not to sound too "mystical" or weird, but let the book speak to you. Give it time. Just keep going back to it if you are genuinely interested in mentalism as an art.
In my first post I said that I was finished with skimming the book (I like giving it a first look)...now I'm going to begin to really studying it. I just asked for the best effects to know what's the best ones to practice...I mean there are so many that I can't know them all.

MrX actually I didn't even looked for the 2 person telepathy since, like you, I also work alone, but now I'm going to read it too.
Hi Hitman. I doubt it's possible for anyone to say which are the 'best' routines in Corinda, because what suits one performer won't suit another. We each have our own styles and presentational preferences. My own modest suggestion would be that you see Corinda not so much as a book of tricks and specific routines, even though it's presented as such, but as a series of key ideas and principles. Corinda shows how those basic principles were shaped into finished routines in his era. However, in any performing art - even our own glorious mentalism - times change, audiences preferences and tolerances evolve, and it's for each performer to tackle the challenge of relating to his audience and giving them what they want - even if they didn't know they wanted it before they saw him!

That's what '13 Steps' really is - a marvellous and inspiring collection of all the tried and tested principles which provide the bedrock of mind magic entertainment.

There's no need to feel over-awed by it. Take any single chapter or step, and ask yourself what you can make of it, what ideas suggest themselves to you, and how you would like to adapt the principles and ideas to your audiences, your shows and your style.
[quote]
On 2002-12-05 13:16, HitmanPT wrote:
...I just asked for the best effects to know what's the best ones to practice... I mean there are so many that I can't know them all.

MrX actually I didn't even looked for the 2 person telepathy since, like you, I also work alone, but now I'm going to read it too.
[/quote]

When one first opens any text book they are bound to feel overwhelmed by the amount of the material covered and this text book should not be any excepetion. Make no mistake about it however, as this is a study course where everything builds upon each previous lesson.

Start from the beginning and work at each STEP. Learn it, preactice it and master it. After you begin you will see that learning it all is NOT too difficult and unless you wish to fail miserably in mentalism you do need to learn it all which is why so many magicians fail at it. They do not recognise the true differences between magic and mentalism and make the mistake that they know enough already to carry them. They try, fail and go back to their card tricks. Do NOT make that mistake.

Start from the begining and work at learning and mastering it all. The rest of us have and the results speak for themselves. If you do that, you have already made the first step in stopping your thinking as a magician and trick/secret seeker and moving towards
"the dark side".

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
You should read the book cover to cover, then ask this question and discuss your opinion with us. You will learn more that way, plus, we get to hear what you have to share. Sometimes the insight of a beginners mind is just what is needed to light a fire under someone more experienced to revisit a routine or work on something new.

Keep up the work, it's a long road, I've only been studying about 2 years now but I'm kinda starting to get it. Good luck!
I just borrowed Corinda's book from a friend
who abandoned 'mentalism'. I'll take your
advice and get back to you.
Now I get it...I must treat Corinda's book like a study book to learn the basics of mentalism step by step. Even if I don't use that specific technique I'll read it and learn it!
Thanks for the advices
Even though some of the effects seem out of date, many can be adapted to suit a more modern way of performing.
Some of the effects have sparked off ideas to develop my own versions or new tricks.

Tim
i can not choose a trick,you have to use this book to learn about mentalism,not to learn tricks
Personally I think the most useful item in the book (13 steps) is the info on pencil and sound and lip reading. And of course muscle reading. With that knowledge you can work miracles. ESPecially pencil reading. The other thing is most magicians/mentalist don't use it or even really know about it and if you work for other performers it may fool them. But I don't suggest working for other performer it was just a THOUGHT
Recently, I used the "coding" for the two person act (with a partner). On paper... looks easy, but in reality it took us over 3 weeks practice for a 5 minute bit. Fooled them all.
Since I've statred performing mentalism, I've found that, with time and experience, every time I go back to my information (books, videos, lecture notes...) that you have a different view and that ideas (tricks) which I skiped over the previous time, now make alot more sense. Time and again... I repeat this process at the very least once a year (could be more).
So, not only for 13 Step., but for all your material, keep going back, it get better aech time.
Have any of you mastered pencil reading and lip reading? I'm curious because it seems quite hard to learn!
I know Corinda says it´s worth the effort, but have any of you taken the time learn completely?
It would be nice if someone would develop a "study guide" for Corinda, such as has been done for Bobo and Tarbell.

Reading and studying the whole book would of course be a required action, but the Study Guide would be more of a "bang for your buck" guide, if that makes any sense.
[quote]
On 2003-03-11 14:08, Hayze wrote:
It would be nice if someone would develop a "study guide" for Corinda, such as has been done for Bobo and Tarbell.

Reading and studying the whole book would of course be a required action, but the Study Guide would be more of a "bang for your buck" guide, if that makes any sense.
[/quote]

I am a beginner too but you really don't need a study guide to Corinda each step builds on the other. For example his third step billet work refers to and ties together the first step on using a swami gimmick. He points out that you don't need to switch billets if you use a swami gimmick for one effect since you just write down the results that are wanted. There is a lot of wonderful material in the third step which is well worth the price of the book. Some of his tricks don't send off fireworks because the description of the effect is straightforward without all the hype magicians are so good at writing when they sell you a trick for 10.00. I did a sort a deck in a paper bag trick from the second step and it impressed my friends no end the method was simple and a good illustration of 'touch reading' which is used in several places through out the book for very different effects. My friends searched the bag throughly and for good measure let my cat investigate it. The cat was in on the trick. The same step has pencil reading and lip reading and how to use the techniques without spending years learning to read lips.

Advice: how about learn one way to billet switch, or force a card and stick with it. That's from the third step. Don't learn 6 just one but learn it. If you learn one trick from each chapter you have 13 solid mentalist effects in your kit. For a mere 24.00 dollars this stuff is GOLD. Don't like any of the tricks take an effect you like and go through Corinda and see how it could be done.
We use the two person code, as do a lot of second sight acts. Another little gem there that is often overlooked (and it is in Anneman as well) is revealing a prediction in the paper. We arrange to have a selected card or other "prediction" placed in the classified section of the daily paper for the day of the show for the reveal. It's cheap, under $15.00, has a big impact and makes for a great personalized souvenier of the show.

The book is filled with great material and ideas for those who will take the time to learn.

All the best,

Rob
I am still waiting for it to arrive. I am so excited about the book.
after I finish the study I will add my review somewhere around here.

-Matt
[quote]
On 2005-09-15 09:21, Matt Malinas wrote:
I am still waiting for it to arrive. I am so excited about the book.
after I finish the study I will add my review somewhere around here.

-Matt
[/quote]

Hello Matt,

I'm sure you will like it very much. I was skeptical before purchasing, because it was written in the sixties, but I didn't regret it at all. Many authors refer to this one, so it's a must have if you like mentalism and mental magic.

Gabor
Billet and NW section is worth the price alone.
[quote]
Hello Matt,

I'm sure you will like it very much. I was skeptical before purchasing, because it was written in the sixties, but I didn't regret it at all. Many authors refer to this one, so it's a must have if you like mentalism and mental magic.

Gabor
[/quote]
I was looking on ebay a couple of days ago under mentalism and I was not too surprised to see people selling 'secrets' which were all to be found in Corinda for a lot less money! One thing to remember in the U.S. most magic books are around 40-35 dollars and the average price is under 30. As for the age imho most audiences really don't care how old a trick is, but how well presented it is. Magicians care but most of audience I hope are not magicians!
Good advice here, as usual! Naturally, I have to speak up for the chapter on mnemonics, which obviously had a large effect on me.

One way I like to use this book is to start working on something until I get stuck, then read Corinda selectively until something snaps and I have many ideas. Other books not to be overlooked for this use are the Fitzke trilogy and [i]Magic and Showmanship[/i] by Henning Nelms.

Yours,

Paul
Ive mentioned in one of my first ever posts here in the forum that I found reading Corinda one of the longest reads ever, but only because I kept going back over and over again and reading then re-reading things!

Corinda was one of the first books I bought in mentalism - on the recommendation of a fellow Café member, and its NOT a book I would ever want to let go of!

The fact that it was written in the 60's makes no difference to the fact that what it teaches is still valid today.

Yes the effects can (and in some cases should) be updated before you use them on todays audiences, BUT the principles are the same in many if not most instances.

Youve heard the phrase the oldies are the goodies? Well it could certainly be applied to Corinda and hey - lets face it - sometimes, the simplest effects (often the older effects) actually come across best!

I also enjoyed Dunningers encyclopedia, because whilst I don't really use anything in it, I REVELLED in reading it in the earlier days JUST BECAUSE of the insight it gave me into HOW things worked, HOW things were performed, and HOW best TO present things.

Again - a bit out of date now, but it certainly gets your mind racing along the lines of working out NEW areas for old effects?

Best
ML x
Don't look to Corinda for best effects. They are all way out of date. Look to Corinday for techniques!
Not all the effects are "out of date". Many of the effects in those pages may still play as they were originally intended to play. 13 steps is a great tool to figure out what you like and dislike in the world of mentalism. With the material in 13 steps one might not ever need anything else.
I cannot say what the best effect is in 13 Steps.
I can, however, give my bit of testimony.
I bought Corinda in the early 70's. I read it cover to cover several times.
I still read it and still get new thoughts with each read.
There is one demonstration (trick, effect, whatever) that has been a part of me for over thirty years. It is found on page 315 and is entitled "Gamma Prediction." It is always with me, has never failed me and really appears miraculous.
I have hundreds of demonstrations, but this one in particular has paid for this book a dozen times over.
It is fun. It keeps your brain in gear. And, it amazes.
Peace,
Parson
I'll re-track my statement. They are not "out of date" as such, but need bringing into a modern context, as with Annemann. As I say, I think Corinda is first-rate for techniques.
[quote]
I was skeptical before purchasing, because it was written in the sixties, but I didn't regret it at all.
[/quote]
I read many books that are hundreds of years old. Do [b]not[/b] underestimate the value of [b]old[/b] books. Just take the principles learned and apply them to the present day situation. People will think you're a genius.
Cosermann,
How right you are.
I was recently visiting with one of the "Big Name" magicians.
Did a simple effect.
He was baffled.
Straight out of Tarbell.
Priceless.
Peace,
Parson
Is there such a thing as an "out of date" effect? In my opinion most magic is timeless in a way.
Best Corinda off the top of my head, mainly because when I started out, Corinda is where I read it first:

Window envelope with nail writer
Pencil Reading one ahead and everything in that chapter is great
Memory stunt
Pocket indexes
Classic blindfold technique
'Great Minds Think Alike' - Punx
Two person codes

Amongst other things

Find what grabs you and then search in those directions in Annemann and more modern writing

Get good at pencil reading and do the memory thing. Both require work but are skills for life. As said by someone else, Corinda is better for skills than effects.
That mustve been my problem I found Corinda to be a hard read. I need to go back to it.
Yeah its worth a seond look for sure. I use the CTs and envelopes the most.
I just bought Corinda two weeks ago now and I can't believe how awesome the Amazing Memory Test is. It took me a few days to memorize the keys, but now I find that every day on the train I try to remember 30 object and then recall them at the end of the day. That so far has been my focus from the book. I look forward to learning more.
[quote]
On 2005-10-04 23:35, Parson Gary Smith wrote:
I cannot say what the best effect is in 13 Steps.
I can, however, give my bit of testimony.
I bought Corinda in the early 70's. I read it cover to cover several times.
I still read it and still get new thoughts with each read.
There is one demonstration (trick, effect, whatever) that has been a part of me for over thirty years. It is found on page 315 and is entitled "Gamma Prediction." It is always with me, has never failed me and really appears miraculous.
I have hundreds of demonstrations, but this one in particular has paid for this book a dozen times over.
It is fun. It keeps your brain in gear. And, it amazes.
Peace,
Parson
[/quote]

I think I must be misreading the Gamma Prediction (either that or have a mental block!) Any clues please Parson?

Best
ML x
ML x,

I wish that we were face to face so that I could demonstrate what I do.
Since this is a public forum, I will describe the effect and if you read it in the book, I think that you will understand.

I begin by having the deck thoroughly shuffled.(I sometimes just visit while this is being done, ask someone else to shuffle, etc.)I never rush it or get in a hurry as this is something that will be remembered and talked about.
BTW, I never do this but once in any given situation.

After cards are mixed by someone else, I ask someone to count off a few cards and to not let me know how many they have.
I then ask them to give the same # of cards to another person.
Then I ask him/her to peek at the top card on the deck, memorize that card and place their cards on top of the deck.
At this point, I ask if there is any way that I could know how many cards he had or exactly where the selected card lies in the deck.
Then I MISS.
Everyone assumes that the effect is over.
Spec. #2 returns cards and then the real effect begins.
I will conclude in a PM. Anyone else who is interested, feel free to PM me.
Peace,
Parson
I just want to go back to what Ian Rowland said, I think that hits the nail on the head regarding this book.
Few magic texts, if any, need be followed to the letter in terms of the patter or extraneous props used (not essential to the actual mechanics of the deception), it is better to personalize the tricks, effects, and routines, to modify them to suit you better - it needn't be an earth shattering change, but changing even one small thing makes it more "you". Often, such modifications also help one to overcome a handling they find particularly difficult or awkward, perhaps even illogical.
A written trick, even a dated one, is perfectly capable of becoming a springboard for something almost totally new, a inspiration for creativity.
13 Steps is a goldmine of information and technique - I think it belongs on every magician's bookshelf, whether they specialize in mentalism or mental magic or not. It's just a classic.
Yes Mystician,Ian did hit the nail on the head,and you finished it off nicely(great post).Among the most Artistic things any of us can do is:take vintage material;THINK about it;ADJUST it for ourselves;PRESENT it fresh and anew.Nirvana. Rich
[quote]
On 2005-10-09 20:34, Parson Gary Smith wrote:
ML x,

I wish that we were face to face so that I could demonstrate what I do.

Hi Parson!

Me too! When you coming to England?! :)

Since this is a public forum, I will describe the effect and if you read it in the book, I think that you will understand.

Thanks to your post here and the pm - it is COMPLETELY clear now! Thank You ever so much for taking the time and the trouble to go through it with me - it is VERY much appreciated!

I tried it in front of a few friends last night and it went brilliantly! So simple and yet so effective and the possibilities for spin and variation on the theme are endless aren't they?

Thank you EVER so much...thank you!

Best,
ML x
You are very welcome. Any time.
Peace,
Parson
12 Steps is my fav. book on mentalism I have read.

A few pages even have some watermarks after having dropped it in the bath while reading!!
I second the amazing memory test, my own memory is shot to pieces though years of pleasure seeking yet I found this quite easy and definately worth the few days work to perfect it. I only do up to twenty but have tested it at work to my friends and have blown them away....

...Even I found it hard to believe! And it is propless, what more can I say. Page 61.

Do yourself a favour and check it out.

honest.... you better...

you really have got to..

like NOW.
Kevin,
I have used the memory test as well.
Osterlind has some good thoughts on the subject.
I am planning on using it with a newspaper test.
Just pulled out Corinda and all of the stuff in that step is good.
Peace,
Parson

Craig,
Mine is starting to get worn as well.
I second the amazing memory test, my own memory is shot to pieces though years of pleasure seeking yet I found this quite easy and definately worth the few days work to perfect it. I only do up to twenty but have tested it at work to my friends and have blown them away....

...Even I found it hard to believe! And it is propless, what more can I say. Page 61.

Do yourself a favour and check it out.

honest.... you better...

you really have got to..

like NOW.
??? I have no idea how that happend ???

Sorry folks about the double post.... That memory trick, fantastic.
I like the billet section...