(Close Window)
Topic: Teflon coating
Message: Posted by: ftlum (Apr 29, 2006 11:11PM)
Where can I find Teflon to coat a slippery Sam gimmick? Does it come in anything other than spray? All I've seen so far is Telflon in lubricant sprays.

thanks,

- Frank
Message: Posted by: Daegs (Apr 30, 2006 12:34AM)
I believe you want teflon tape...

stick a strip or 2(depending on width) inside.
Message: Posted by: Father Photius (Jul 16, 2007 11:43AM)
Dupont owns Teflon (PTFE) and you can buy it from them, since they are the producers: http://store.fluoroproducts.com/index.html
Message: Posted by: magiclee71 (Jul 16, 2007 11:51AM)
Thank you for the link. Do you know what I would look under to find it?
Message: Posted by: magiclee71 (Jul 16, 2007 12:08PM)
Does anyone know where this can be purchased from a local store like Home Depot or something?
Message: Posted by: Father Photius (Jul 16, 2007 01:06PM)
The bonding process for teflon for the application you want is not really something a do it yourselfer is likely to be able to do. Home Depot and other such centers often sell various lubricants and a few coatings that contain PTFE, but not an actual PTFE bonding. In the application you mention either you need to buy a gimmick that is already so coated by the manufacturer, or try the tape method suggested above. I think you will find the bonding process for just one gimmick a bit too complex and expensive.
Message: Posted by: magiclee71 (Jul 16, 2007 02:04PM)
Thank you photius for your responses. If I wanted to try the teflon tape do you know where I could pick this up at a local store?
Message: Posted by: Spydur (Jul 16, 2007 03:05PM)
Did you call the # and ask?

"Interested in other products made with DuPont™ Teflon®?


Call us toll-free: 1-866-205-1664"

Call them and find out,

C
Message: Posted by: magiclee71 (Jul 17, 2007 10:21AM)
No luck so far. I called the number and was told they do not make the finished product. I guess I will try to get some from Lassen or Schoolcraft.
Message: Posted by: Spydur (Jul 20, 2007 03:47AM)
Hey there,

About ten minutes TOPS on google search might lead you in the right direction. Also try some of the other names that the "Teflon Tape" search yields.

C
Message: Posted by: Salby (Oct 18, 2008 08:15PM)
.
Anybody else know where-else I can find the VERY Thin Teflon Tape??
.
Message: Posted by: morgandollarman (Oct 18, 2008 08:27PM)
I have been looking myself for some and this is all I found over here not sure if it's any good though. It says at the top teflon tape.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBPS-1900&Category_Code=gas-accessories&Store_Code=mrst
Message: Posted by: Tom G (Oct 18, 2008 08:36PM)
You can buy a thin teflon tape at any plumbing supply, how you'd adhere it is another story.
Message: Posted by: Matthew Wright (Oct 19, 2008 05:03AM)
There are loads of auctions for teflon tape on Ebay both in the US and UK. Very cheap too.
Message: Posted by: MickeyPainless (Oct 19, 2008 11:13AM)
I use a sticker/label as taught to me by Steve Dusheck (creator of the SS for those that may not know). I find these to work just fine and from what I have heard from many is that the teflon is actually a bit too slick! The label does wear out over time but is simple to replace! Give it a try until you find the teflon you want!

Mick
Message: Posted by: krintz (Oct 19, 2008 09:41PM)
I just ordered some 'mouse tape' on Ebay.
I'll let you know if it works.
Message: Posted by: Sniper01 (Oct 20, 2008 06:00PM)
Here you go,

They told me this was a tape product.

http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=96
Message: Posted by: krintz (Oct 23, 2008 10:02PM)
Ok, I just resurfaced my Supercoin with mouse tape. It seems to work exactly as the original coating.
The stuff from Kennedy is around 20 bucks to redo 4 surfaces. Mouse tape was $4.50, with enough for 12-14 surfaces (8.5" long, 3" wide).

Krintz
Message: Posted by: Salby (Oct 26, 2008 11:02AM)
.
Mouse Tape?? What's that and where can you find that?? Wal-Mart?? What Department??

I've never used tape to keep my computer mouse together... Nor have I taped up my pet mouse... How would he breathe, let alone, can you imagine the severe constipation he would have from taping the other end?? :dizzy:
.
Message: Posted by: krintz (Oct 26, 2008 09:58PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-26 12:02, Salby wrote:
.
Mouse Tape?? What's that and where can you find that?? Wal-Mart?? What Department??

I've never used tape to keep my computer mouse together... Nor have I taped up my pet mouse... How would he breathe, let alone, can you imagine the severe constipation he would have from taping the other end?? :dizzy:
.
[/quote]

On E-Bay, as I posted earlier. It's used on the bottom of a computer mouse.
I will never tape up a real mouse/gerbil/stoat again. That's a promise.
Krintz
Message: Posted by: BWind (Oct 27, 2008 09:45PM)
Folks,
Have any of you tried the 3M transpore tape, you can find it stocked in the drug health & beauty dept. along with the bandages, band -aids etc.; I've used it to silence the coin going into an expanded [; also very good for bill s-----ing from TT, helps the bill slide out much easier;
BWind
Message: Posted by: Sniper01 (Oct 29, 2008 12:38PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-23 23:02, krintz wrote:
Ok, I just resurfaced my Supercoin with mouse tape. It seems to work exactly as the original coating.
The stuff from Kennedy is around 20 bucks to redo 4 surfaces. Mouse tape was $4.50, with enough for 12-14 surfaces (8.5" long, 3" wide).

Krintz
[/quote]

Took the advice and ordered some mouse tape off ebay. My intention was to replace the tape on a Dream Coin Set, split coin. The tape arrived and I see it is kind of thick and has a rough surface or texture. The original tape on the coin is very thin and smooth. I haven't tried it yet, but it doesn't appear to me this will work as the tape is thicker and rough which will put more space between the coins when together. Could be wrong, just my observations at this point.
Message: Posted by: krintz (Oct 29, 2008 11:56PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 13:38, Sniper01 wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-10-23 23:02, krintz wrote:
Ok, I just resurfaced my Supercoin with mouse tape. It seems to work exactly as the original coating.
The stuff from Kennedy is around 20 bucks to redo 4 surfaces. Mouse tape was $4.50, with enough for 12-14 surfaces (8.5" long, 3" wide).

Krintz
[/quote]

Took the advice and ordered some mouse tape off ebay. My intention was to replace the tape on a Dream Coin Set, split coin. The tape arrived and I see it is kind of thick and has a rough surface or texture. The original tape on the coin is very thin and smooth. I haven't tried it yet, but it doesn't appear to me this will work as the tape is thicker and rough which will put more space between the coins when together. Could be wrong, just my observations at this point.
[/quote]

Sniper, it's just the backing that has a rough surface. The actual tape is perfect. I thought the very same thing when I got it, but it works fine. Cut a piece the size you need, remove the backing, lay the tape on a flat surface, and put the coin on it. Trim the edges very carefully.
Trust me, it works.
Krintz

P.S. This stuff is just as thin as the original coating.