(Close Window)
Topic: When Should You Wear A Cape?
What setting would you or should you wear a cape?
Mostly you shouldn't. Speaking of formal ocasions, you would wear one for the most formal of occasions, but for the purpose of keeping your nicest of eveningwear from getting damaged by the environment. Other than that, whenever your costuming calls for you to wear one. Be warned, you're going to look like Liberaci or Dracula. If those looks are what the script calls for, then you're good.
ALWAYS.

"Wear the cape. Never let the cape wear you." Roy Horn. :bwink:
Halloween events are ideal for the full formal cape thing. If you ever work a comic convention, a different kind of cape might work well for thematic purposes. I've known a couple of magicians that used a superhero motif for their magic (not me though, I don't have the legs for it)....
I think when the phone in the Bat cave rings, it's time for you and Robin to put on your capes, utility belts, and go fight crime.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Lance Burton wears a cape in one point of his act. He opens it quickly and has a couple of doves fly out. I thought this was a very nice effect. The cape didn't even seem out of place when he walked in.
Rob Pond
Kids shows maybe? If there are a couple of stars or something on it they will know you are a magician at once.
You should wear it if and when it fits your character and show.
I would hazzard a guess and say that one should NEVER wear a cape...
Icy Rabbit,

I agree. It's almost like wearing a top hat or nickers.

Boy, am I going to get hate mail over this.
I've got a copy of a very cool pic of Mr. Kreskin in a cape. :nod: ;)
My top hat is my trade mark, and an important prop in my show. I have had fellow performers who did not recognize me with out it. My tie, suspenders, and top hat tells everybody that either the entertainment, or a very tacky dresser has arrived.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Icy-rabbit, and Darkwing, you guys need to get out of your paradigm. There is a much larger world than you guys think there is, and depending on where you are in it, anything can be, and often is cool, appropriot, or the right choice. I understand where you guys are coming from, but you realy should broaden your horizons. In the act of my duty I have worn tails, garters, a sportscoat, a tux, and a mumu. In each case they were exactly what I needed to be wearing to do my job.
[quote]
On 2006-06-15 13:18, JackScratch wrote:
Icy-rabbit, and Darkwing, you guys need to get out of your paradigm. There is a much larger world than you guys think there is, and depending on where you are in it, anything can be, and often is cool, appropriot, or the right choice. I understand where you guys are coming from, but you realy should broaden your horizons. In the act of fullfilling my job, I have worn tails, garters, a sportscoat, a tux, and a mumu. In each case they were exactly what I needed to be wearing to do my job.
[/quote]
You wear a cape as you exit your carriage in front of the opera house. When you enter the theate you should give both you cape and top hat to the coat check girl (after checking your dates outer wrap which you of course have helped her to remove). This way you can enjoy the evenings entertainments without the hinderance and unsightly appearnace of having your capes and cloaks hanging over the front edge of your box.
Don't forget flattening your opera hat for easy storage between the theatre seats.
Guys, I started this post tongue and cheek. Wow what a can of worms!!!!!
[quote]
On 2006-06-15 23:01, Darkwing wrote:
Guys, I started this post tongue and cheek. Wow what a can of worms!!!!!
[/quote]

I didn't think I would be accused of being closed minded. Can't anybody take a joke.
I identify joke by the presence of humor. Besides, you knew.

[quote]
On 2006-06-13 23:22, Darkwing wrote:
Boy, am I going to get hate mail over this.
[/quote]

I was just making certain that no one took you two seriously. God forbid some young imporessionable mind think it uncool to do character work.
By the way Al, I like the hat you are wearing in your profile. It's looks great on you.

David Williams
Darkwing
I went to a festival last summer, and I saw a man with a Panama hat on, so I asked him if it was a real Panama, he rolled his eyes, and said to me "yes for about the tenth time today". A little voice inside of me then said "you must have one of those hats" so I ordered a custom made rolled Panama from Equador, and with my purple RayBan's I'm ready to impress the ladies this summer, even though my wife thinks I'm just a silly old man. I'm wearing it to a pool party I'm working at tonight.
THANKS FOR NOTICING
Al Angello
Al.

You are very welcome. By the way, my wife thinks I'm a silly old man also and I don't wear a hat.

David Williams
All I'm wearing right now is a cape.
I have done it once at a birthday party of a friends son. I had the cape, gown, hood, the fake beard and the moustache. (Sometimes it helps to have a Ph.D.) The birthday boy was a great fan of Harry Potter, so the entire act was based on an absent minded professor of invocations, who happens to be landing on their birthday train. I had a funny looking suitcase with me and had to hide in a cabinet until I could make a dramatic entrance. It was lots of fun for all of us.

Things I learned from that ride:

* It's quite hard to perform when your stage is moving.
* Capes and fake beards get you hot.
* You can hide a fire extinguisher under a hood and no one will notice.
* Never ever remove your make up until every single member of your audience leaves. Even if your makeup screams that it is fake. They love you the way you look and you wouldn't want to disappoint them.
* When you are going to wear a costume, use original, expensive costumes. Don't use things from a halloween store. Pay attention to detail. It will pay off. Don't you ever use plastic accessories, this is a not a halloween party, its the equivalent of a theather play.
[quote]
On 2006-06-27 13:38, tanselkaya wrote:

* When you are going to wear a costume, use original, expensive costumes. Don't use things from a halloween store. Pay attention to detail. It will pay off. Don't you ever use plastic accessories, this is a not a halloween party, its the equivalent of a theather play.
[/quote]

Thank you for posting that...Nothing looks worse than a vinyl cape over a polyester one piece costume with a belt and vest sewn onto the shirt.

Darkwing...I have to do this because you posted the start of the Cape thread...

"I am the hero that flaps in the night...
I am the milk that your cereal sat in for too long...
I am..
Darkwing Duck!"
Now, he looks smashing in a cape.
gwyd
I wear a cape for a very short time in my act and I use it to produce something, so I think it is ok right?
[quote]
On 2006-07-31 10:42, gsidhe wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-06-27 13:38, tanselkaya wrote:

Darkwing...I have to do this because you posted the start of the Cape thread...

"I am the hero that flaps in the night...
I am the milk that your cereal sat in for too long...
I am..
Darkwing Duck!"
Now, he looks smashing in a cape.
gwyd
[/quote]

gsidhe,

Thank you. The story behind my username is that I have a former boss used to call me DW (David Williams) and at the time Darkdwing Duck was a popular cartoon and he started calling me Darkwing Duck or Darkwing for short and the name stuck. When I left the company, he gave me a Darkwing Duck statuette. I've had it and the nickname ever since.

Thank you for the memories.

David Williams
My cape and top hat were a huge hit at my daughter's 4th birthday party this past May. Was it hot? Yeah. Did I keep it on anyway? Yeah. My wife made it and worked hard to make it look just right. Besides, one of the party favors for the 4-10 year olds was a pink or black cape (girls/boys) and if I'd taken mine off, it would have lessened the effect on the children. Now as for the hat? I kept it on until after the 1st 5 minutes of the show, where I talked about dressing for the occasion. I then set it on my table (brim-side down), misdirected for a moment, and then produced a rabbit out of my hat! Huge hit with the children. The top hat then sat brim-up for the rest of the performance on the front corner of the table....MAN! Those things get HOT! :o: :wow:

"Hey Rocky! Watch while I pull a rabbit out of my hat!" :magicrabbit:
Anyone seen the section of the movie "The Incredibles" where they discuss the dangers of why you should be careful with capes? hehehe ;)
To Harry Potter movie???
I believe it was Flash Gordon who would wrap the "cloak of invisibility" around himself so he get past the guards, and attacked Ming the merciless in his thrown room undetected. That Flash Gordon had a very cool cape.
Al Angello
You know what I still like to see? It's the kid doing his first or second magic show at the birthday party for his little brother or sister with the top hat, cape, and painted on moustache doing all the tricks he got in a kit for his birthday or as a Christmas present. I am so entertained by the junior Dante doing his best.

We had a kid in our magic club who would come out on stage dressed just as I described and perform in one of our club shows every year. It was always one of my favorite parts of the show.

I still think this is what the wide-eyed innocence and wonder of magic is all about.

Yeah, I know, I'm just an old softy.
A Top-Hat & Cape are useful props if used correctly. As part of my warm up shtick I tell them that the show starts when I put on my cape. (Kid shows & family shows only, please) "Are you ready to start the show?" etc...

I put the hat on right before my opening trick. After the trick is done I very simply drop everything into the hat and hand it off or put it down. We started doing this when I needed an easy way to hand off several small items w/out dropping of fumbling. I use the cape in my second bit and then take it off.

My cape goes on and off w/flourish and usually gets a reaction on its own. It's over 30 years old. :wow: It was made for me by a friend and her mother as a challenge. We used heavy slipper satin for the black outside and a lighter weight red satin for the lining. I went classical. What can I say, I look good in a tux. :) Originally the collar could stand up. Over the years however, and many dry cleanings, the stiffness has gone out. The collar just lies there now.

I also use the cape when I need a screen of some sort. I have two vic..er..volunteers hold it up so that I can do my "Famous Handcuff Escape". (Pat. Pending :handcuffs:) This is done for laughs and the cape makes an effective prop here as well. I use the cape for the trick even when I don't wear it in the opening. It can also be put on the birthday child or others for photos. This seems to be a big thrill for the kids and it's no big deal for me.

For all these reasons, and more, I am proud of my cape.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :bat:

Bruce

P.S. On second thought, this is a really bad Idea. :yikes: No one should take it seriously. Especially anyone in the NY, NJ, PA area. Gosh, I hope no one saw this. Maybe I should just delete it. :worry: Just forget I said anything.
Message: Posted by: The Scary Librarian (Jan 1, 2008 11:55AM)
[quote]
On 2006-05-11 09:59, magicalaurie wrote:
ALWAYS.

"Wear the cape. Never let the cape wear you." Roy Horn. :bwink:

[/quote]

Roy Horn [i]definitely[/i] wore the cape.....and very well at that.
I had a royal blue Victorian frocked cape made for a character in a show. I've used it for a Wizard character, and actually worn it out when the feeling struck me.

The important thing about capes is that they must fit the character and by default will have a purpose for the character.
The only time I wear a cape is when I go out for lobster. And then of course, I put it in the front.
My initial response was to say, "cape? ...NO WAY!"

But after reflecting on it for a while and seeing how nice Al looks in a cape, I have totally changed my mind!

Lyndel

[img]http://www.lyndel.net/temporary_stuff/aljuggler.jpg[/img]
This reminds me, I realized the other day one reason I enjoy the rain so much- I can wear a trench coat without anyone looking twice- which is about the closest you can get to wearing a cape in public.

But, when you think about it, performing in a trench coat isn't actually such a bad idea- especially the ones with an inside liner. The amount of stuff you can conceal inside one is absolutely incredible...
Lyndel
You have too much time on your hands.

That is an old head on top of a young body. Perhaps when I loose 40 lbs I'll buy a red cape.

I love a man with a sense of humor.
Al
[quote]
On 2008-01-11 12:00, Al Angello wrote:
Lyndel
You have too much time on your hands.
[/quote]

Hmmm, My wife say's the same thing! LOL!

Lyndel
Lyndel
When my wife finds me in front of the TV set she ask's me if I'm tired of talking to my friends.
HAVE FUN
Al
[quote]
On 2008-01-11 15:01, Al Angello wrote:
Lyndel
When my wife finds me in front of the TV set she ask's me if I'm tired of talking to my friends.
HAVE FUN
Al
[/quote]

If she's finding you on the couch, then you're doing it wrong... Try this:

[img]http://www.lyndel.net/temporary_stuff/camo.jpg[/img]

Lyndel
LOL -- and then some!
When Lance Burton is ready to pass on the Mantle of Magic to you.
It's ok when your rabbit say's it's ok to wear...
Not a moment earlier...
Rabbit's have very good fashion sense...
I wore a coachman's cloak as part of my children's show wizard garb, along with a 'Gandalf' hat.
The only time that I would wear a cape is if you are playing a role.Ex. I do Phantom of the Opera Magic so it would be ok to wear a cape.You decide what fits you best.
Never.

-AY
Mandrake?? Ciao Laurie, come stai?. What ever happened to Kreskin? Capes,Did they go with the tide folks? However it remains and o'l grand classic. If you like it go for it.
I think you should always where a cape when your flying like superman or batman.
Ok on that Magic.However we certainly would not want one our fellow brother magicians flying out the window like George Reeves did.
[quote]
On 2008-03-09 05:22, donrodrigo wrote:
Ciao Laurie, come stai?. What ever happened to Kreskin?
[/quote]

Ciao. ;) Far as I know, Kreskin is still touring, donrodrigo.
http://www.amazingkreskin.com
Message: Posted by: The Scary Librarian (Mar 29, 2008 02:28PM)
[quote]
On 2006-06-15 00:06, magicalaurie wrote:
I've got a copy of a very cool pic of Mr. Kreskin in a cape. :nod: ;)
[/quote]

Yup, I would say Kreskin knows when to wear the cape. Captured the right atmosphere with the tombstone and all.

:)
...when you want to get your @ss kicked...that's when you should definitely wear a cape!
What everyone else says means nothing. I say capes are cool. not to mention the limitless magical possibilities they have. you could hide just about anything under a cape, making the range of producable items extremely wide.
it is traditional to take a cape off when you enter a building so my advise would be to walk on stage with a cape, produce some ridiculous item from under your cape, then remove it.