(Close Window)
Topic: How to put video on the web
I have an edited 25 sec. video clip that I want to render into a smaller file to put on my website. Is there a free download somewhere or can anyone recommend what to use to convert the file to one that works on the web? Thanks for any help.
You don't say what hardware/operating system you are running... if you have a PC with Windows XP then download the free Windows Move Maker from here:

[url=http://www.download.com/Windows-Movie-Maker/3000-2194_4-10187903.html?tag=lst-0-1]download.com[/url]

You can use it to you edit your video and add titles and effects... when exporting the finished clip you can, among other things, specify the maximum file size the finished movie should be saved at and it will be compressed accordingly.

Other software, formats etc. are also available.
Yep, windows movie maker came standard on my computer and may be already on your computer- to find it:

click start
All programs
and then accessories

the movie maker- when saving the file you have a lot to choose from - from streaming to just a smaller sized photo.

If you want to turn your movie into a flash video check out
[url=http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=products&product=video]swishzone.com[/url]
this simply- you open a video file and it then you click convert and it converts it to flash with a web page.

There is a 30 day full-featured trial and you can simply work it out in 20 minutes.

You can pick flash streaming or a movie with little controls that plays directly on the web page, which is good, as they don't need additional software like windows or Quicktime or real media, they just need a browser. The downside of flash is some browsers or rather computers have a warning button that pops up for you to click to warn the visitor that Flash (active X) is on the web site. Anti-virus software kind of stops it. It's not a huge thing but it allows for a neater looking site when it plays on the page.
If you have a Mac, iMovie will compress your video into Quicktime format. The good part is that this is part of iLife, and the total package costs a whopping $29.95.

Bob Phillips
Another spot which converts all video files to flash is http://www.YouTube.com. The only downside is that the "player" has the YouTube.com logo and links to the page/profile that you create. Although some might not consider that a downside.

Thanks for reading,

RDS
I recently put together some directions for someone who wanted to put windows video on their website. I'll copy them here for your use. This describes how to set up a link that will launch Windows Video Player and play the video using HTTP streaming.

[b]1. Get Video in WMV format[/b]

You should have two versions, one for high-speed, and one for dial-up. (You could choose to ignore dial-up users. About 15% of the visitors to my site use dial-up. I think thatís a high enough number to justify providing a dial-up version.)

If you donít have the movie in the right format, there are a couple options. One you probably already have is Windows Movie Maker. It comes with Windows, and is designed to edit home movies. You can import your movie and export it in WMV format for high and low speed.

Another option is the free Windows Media Encoder. You can download it from here: [url=http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.mspx]microsoft.com[/url]

I would probably recommend the Windows Media Encoder. It is more powerful, but it is also more complex. Either one can get the job done.

[b]2. Copy the WMV files to your server[/b]

I created a directory named windows-video to hold my videos. It really doesnít matter where you put it, as long as they can be accessed from the web.

[b]3. Create Windows Video Meta Files[/b]

This step is required to make the video play while it is downloading, instead of making the user wait for the entire file to download before playing. (Actually you could skip the meta files and it would still work in Internet Explorer, but it is required to make it work correctly in other browsers.)

A Windows Video Meta file is just a simple text file with a .WMX extension. You can create it in Notepad. You need to know the web address of the video files you uploaded in step 2. As an example, my high speed video is [url]http://www.bradbrownmagic.com/windows-video/brad-brown-magic-244k.wmv[/url]. So, I created a meta file named brad.wmx. It contains the following:

<ASX version="3.0">
<ENTRY>
<REF HREF="http://www.bradbrownmagic.com/windows-video/brad-brown-magic-244k.wmv"/>
</ENTRY>
</ASX>

You can just copy this exactly for your version. Just change the web address after the HREF= to be the address of your video.

If you have different versions for high and low speed, you will need a separate WMX file for each.

[b]4. Upload the WMX files to your server[/b]

I just put them in the same windows-video directory, but it really doesnít matter where they go.

[b]5. Add Link to the website[/b]

Your link should point to the WMX file. This will start Windows Media Player when the link is clicked, and the player will play the video that the WMX file points to.

[b]Important Note about Mime Type Issues[/b]

For this to work correctly in all browsers, your server needs to be set up to correctly handle files with a WMX extension. The correct mime type is ďvideo/x-ms-wvxĒ. (This is just a server setting that tells the userís web browser what program to use for the file. If itís set wrong, some users wonít be able to play the video.) Thereís a good chance your server is set up correctly already. Mine wasnít, so thatís why I am mentioning this.

An easy way to confirm the mime type is to use an internet header check tool like this one: [url=http://www.webconfs.com/http-header-check.php]webconfs.com[/url]. Enter the address of a WMX file you uploaded and click the submit button. Verify that Content-Type is set to video/x-ms-wvx. If it is, youíre fine. You only need to do this for one file. If your server correctly handles one WMX file, it will handle them all.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am using Windows XP.
I will try these out and hopefully be successful.
Also, take a look at this...

[url=http://www.virtualmagicshow.com/webvid/]Web Video for Magicians - a short tutorial by Ian Kendall[/url]
Wow. Great advice, everyone.

Brad, that was extremely detailed and accurate. Thanks for putting all the work into that for everyone. Also, Neo, thanks for the Ian Kendall pages. They, also, were filled with useful information.

I'm not sure I can add much, but I'll try. I think there was a tip that was mentioned above that got lost in all the great info. That was ice's and RDS's comments about Flash.

Part of my job involves staying as up-to-date as possible on new video trends. The one with the most potential as I write this (11 May 06) is Flash. The problem with WMV, Real and Quicktime is that they are three different formats that are not fully adopted by everyone. XP guys have WMV. Mac guys have QT. Market share? Visit:

[url=http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/tech_breakdown.html]adobe.com[/url]

Adobe (who, well, [b]owns[/b] Flash), created a market penetration comparison. If a media player has a 60% market penetration, that means that 60% of the computers that are online have that player installed. As of December 2005, the breakdown of market penetration is a follows:

Real Player: 60% market penetration
Quicktime: 67% market penetration
Windows Media Player: 87% market penetration
Flash: 97%

Now, if you wanted to reach the most people, which format would you choose? Finally, the best part about Flash is that you [b]don't[/b] need an external player. It just works.

Now, which flavor of Flash? As mentioned, Swish is a good product. It is pretty cheap (I think their SwishVideo2 is currently available for around $50). I've used it and it is pretty good. Even better is the new Flash 8 video (I won't bore you with details, but it's called VP6) is an extremely efficient form of video.

I have found that you can encode video with Flash8 to make very small files at very high resolutions. (Currently, SwishVideo2 does [b]not[/b] use Flash8, but the last codec, called Sorrensen.)

I don't want to just bloviate, so if you have a moment, I have several videos that are encoded using the newest version of Flash8. See for yourself. Then judge, what is your image worth? Don't just be seen online, be seen well.

When I produce videos for my clients, part of my package includes a free web video file for them to place on their websites. Over the years, I've made countless formats. Three formats for each clients! Yikes! Now, with Flash, it's one format, better quality and my clients love it because it [b]seamlessly[/b] integrates right into their own website. I have had [b]many[/b] clients comment on how much they love the Flash video.

(Please don't take any of this to be coming down on any of the great posts already made about the other formats. This is not the case. I just wanted to share what bit I could, coming from the professional video industry.)

Cheers!
Scott

P.S.
By the way, you can see those videos I mentioned above at this link:
[url]http://www.reelsinmotion.com/promovideos.html[/url]

P.P.S
Brad, I absolutely [b]loved[/b] your video! Way to go. Very well done. Editing, shooting and the final message were all very professional. I'd love to see your video in Flash so we can see it in a clearer resolution! Great job!
Cheers again!
Brad,
Thank you for a great post! How did you do the Quicktime?
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (May 12, 2006 11:58AM)
I'm working with FCP on a Mac. I have sent video that I have exported into Quicktime versions to many people. All with Macs had no problem viewing it. Half of the PC people could not open it. Any suggestions how to send it so that all PC people can view it?

Thank you,
Will
Will,

It's just not possible. The reason half the PC people can not open it is mentioned in my post (two posts up). Only 67% of online computers have Quicktime installed. Take away the 6% market share owned by Apple, another 1 or 2% for all those wacky (said in a good way!!) Linux people and you're left with around 60% of Windows computers that have Quicktime. That's it.

So if you encode as a Quicktime file, you will NEVER get more than 60% of the people to see it. Macs, of course will have no problem viewing it.

This is NOT a Mac/PC thing. It's just statistics.

The ONLY way to get everyone (and I mean this to mean "almost" everyone) is to use Flash, which is on 97% of the online computers out there.

This is why for my clients, I deliver web video using Flash. Plus the new Flash codec is very close to H.264 in quality, with about the same, if not smaller file sizes.

Cheers!
Scott
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (May 13, 2006 01:03PM)
Is there a way with FCP to export as Flash? I don't seem to have that option. Only Quicktime.mov
Thank you for your input,
Will
I love using Google Video (http://video.google.com). Although this won't work to upload videos to your personal site, I do personally find it easier. This way you can upload the clip, keep it in decent quality, give your clients or whomever you wish to view the video options as to which format they want to download it in if at all, and you don't have to use up your web space. There is no size limit and all you need to do is send a link. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Cam
Will, using Final Cut, a good exporter is Sorenson Squeeze. I don't have their website off the top of my mind. An even better one (also more money, though) is On2's codec. Theirs is the one I use exclusively and on a VERY regular basis. They have an exporter for FCP to Export directly from the timeline within FCP.

Warm regards,
Scott
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (May 14, 2006 03:00PM)
Scott, you rock!! Thanks for the low down. Are you a mac man or just a knowledgeable p.c. person?
A little of both. For my video production business, I cut with the Mac. For the 3D animation and compositing, I use PC. They each have their strengths, so I use the strengths of both (I think that made sense!)

Good luck with your video!

Scott
Flourish Dude:

You asked me about Quicktime. I am not using Quicktime. I am set up for Real and Windows Media. My real media is served from a real video server instead of a web server. A video server is better at serving video than a normal web server. (I can explain in more detail about the differences but I doubt you care about that level of detail.)

I probably wouldn't recommend bothering to set up Real. When I first set up my site around 1999, Real was arguably the superior format and had the largest market share. Times have changed. Since my hosting package includes a real video server and not a windows video server, I left the Real version and added a Windows Media version for those who don't have Real.

If you do decide to include a Real version served from your web server then the process is basically the same as creating a Windows Media. The encoder is available from real.com . (I don't know the exact address, but poke around a little and I'm sure you can find it. There is a free version.) The meta file for real media ends in a .ram extension. It just contains a single line with the address of the video file. So, if you had a real video called http://www.mydomain.com/myvideo.rm, you'd need a meta file ending in a .ram extension containing the following line...

http://www.mydomain.com/myvideo.rm

I haven't used Quicktime, but any web video will use the same basic procedures. You use the appropriate software to encode the video file. If it plays in a seperate player outside of the web browser there should be a meta file, though it's not absolutely required. If the video is played in the browser window itself instead of a seperate application, then the meta file is probably not needed.

Scott:

Thanks for your comments about my video. It has really worked well for me. I have looked at Flash video. I'll probably add it eventually. My main concern with Flash video (other than the initial cost of the software) is that it tends to not work well over low speed connections. Real and WMV generally work better for dial-up. Granted, they look crappy at low speed, but they do work.

Thanks,
Brad