(Close Window)
Topic: Dominatricks by Tyler Wilson - Review
Available from http://www.andigladwin.co.uk

Before I start the review, I shall point out several things. Firstly, I parted with cold hard cash to pick this up, and secondly I have not met, spoken or been telepathically linked with Tyler Wilson. (If you have met the man, PM me and explain how you fought the urge to attack him with an electric shaver – I am genuinely interested!)

Dominatricks by Tyler Wilson (and published by Andi Gladwin) is a superb book for those looking for some different but commercial close up magic. There are new plots, new effects, new methods and new presentations.

I have added a LOT of this book into my repertoire (which won’t mean much to any of you, I appreciate) but there is so much usable stuff.

Coke Inhabit is a remarkable coin in bottle – and hugely different from every other version around. I am not going to reveal anymore specifics – the effect is more important than anything here, and to share Tyler’s plot with everyone for free would just be rude. But here are the advantages of Tyler’s version. Everything fits in a very small pocket. Visual, and you are left with a completely impossible object that the spectator keeps. No glass to carry around and break. It is, plainly put, sexual.

Scarred Warp – a genuinely genius addition to card warp. Again, giving away too much of the effect is unfair, as it is so original, but I will tell you this much. You tear a hole in the wrap around card, and the spectators can see inside, what’s happening to the warped card, and it isn’t what you (or they) expect.

Tilt – There are several subtleties for the Tilt or Depth Illusion move in here. I use the move a lot, and have added all of these to my knowledge – it is nice to know them for if you are using Tilt more than once.

Release the Chocolate Hostage – A clever routine where a card that has been signed on the face changes into another card. This isn’t just a novel change, there is a full routine built in. I added a little touch, which I think makes the end effect clearer (but uses a gaff), where the second card in the routine in a two of hearts, and then goes blank. Owners of the book will understand.

Stick it to the Man – unquestionably one of the most commercial mental effects around. I’d love to see John Archer doing this – it gives you so much interaction with the spectators that if you even slightly a comedy performer, you are going to have a hell of a lot of fun with it. The method is very, very clever as well, and exceptionally practical. Probably the most fun you can have with a pack of post it notes without being scary.

This is just a selection of the effects and moves that are explained inside – a shortage of time and physical energy (read laziness) discourage me from reviewing each individual effect, but these are some of my favourites.

The production of the book is excellent as well – soft back, 150 pages, full colour covers and perfect binding. A5 size which is just handy, frankly, if you use public transport as much as I do. The only negative that arises is the same that comes with all perfect bound books – their absolute refusal to lie flat barring extreme physical violence. In this case, none of the material is particularly demanding, and so this is less of an issue than it would be with a more technical book.

Tyler’s writing is extremely concise, amusing and sometimes just down right scary, and the many photos are just a bonus.

And then there is the CD – professionally burnt, it includes a video file of the elusive Tyler demonstrating the moves. This makes learning them much easier, as you have a much clearer idea of how they should look. Also on the CD is some artwork for some of the routines, and the whole book in PDF written from a Left Handed perspective! Southpaw’s unite.

I think it is plain to see the value that this adds to the book, and frankly, I hope it sets a standard for others to follow.

Unquestionably one of the best books on general close up magic, since, well, close up magic happened. Or, translated for people like me, sweeter than a gingerbread mans’ chocolate coated bits.

Liam
http://www.magic-mirror.co.uk
Thanks for the interview...I am curious to know your thoughts on the B52 Shooter. The product page makes it sound extremely visual...is it true?

also, since I perform resturaunt magic, pocket space is a big issue for me. Are these tricks mostly gaffless/impromptu?...basically is this a good investment for a walkaround performer...Thanks for any response.
Hi JoeKing,

I'll answer the questions the best I can.

B52 Shooter is very novel - put in short terms, you shuffle a deck face up and face down, (triumph style) and then visibly sort them out. By that, I don't mean in the usual Triumph sense, where it happens implicitly, but it happens visually. I don't really want to make the effect any clearer than that, to be honest, as Tyler's work is very original, and just describing his take on the effect is giving too much away for free.

I performed restaurant magic a lot a while back, and pretty much all of the routines are suitable for this genre of magic. All of the routines that I have mentioned above are excellent in terms of Reset from table to table, and pocket space.

As to gaffless/impromptu, there is a mixture. Where there is a gimmick, Tyler goes into exceptional detail about how to get in and out of it. It is obvious that Tyler really does use this stuff, in proper "working" conditions.

Something that I failed to mention in the review (clumsy of me) is how much of the material avoids using table space - another valuable asset for those of us that get out and about.

Frankly, if you perform magic for laypeople, and you are looking for new plots that are as commercial as the old ones everyone else is doing, this is the place to be.

Hope that answered any questions, feel free to PM me for more detail if you need it.

Liam.
Hi Montz,

Wow, thanks for the reviews. :)

Andrew
Great answer...and you basically sold me. I'll order it soon and post my thoughts up here.

Thanks again for all your help.
Liam,

Thanks for a fantastic review. I'm glad you're enjoying the book.

--Andi
I brought this book on preview when I seen it. I thought I needed to buy it immediately, so I did, when I first seen it. I have been exceptionally happy with the bok from the outset and my most fave routine is B52 bomber which is surely the most original triumph since the creator invneted it.

Zak
Ok I have recently bought this book and here is a perfectly honest review of the items in the book

rub n tug - an excellent method for doing a rub a dub vanish using a face up card, this fooled me the first time I saw it, this is great!

pitching a tent vanish - a tent vanish where the card is face up and outjogged from the pack itself, another great vanish

then comes 3 methods for get ready for tilt, all of these methods are very different but very very clever

hasselhofziner - the old hofziner force brought to a whole new level, I have now added this method for my forces now, great stuff!

gag reflex - this is one item I did not like, it uses the old gag of asking someone to pick a card when a card boy is more or less spinning around under the deck as a gag, then a force comes out of this method, an ok idea

display boy - a method for doing a flourish while displaying a double or a single card

compost it - a very clever method for doing an ambitious card routine, I love this routine, I already had an ambitious card routine but have now substituted this routine now, I have already performed this is the real world and people love it, not going to divulge any further so you will have to buy the book, link is provided at the end of this post

release the chocolate hostage - another very good routine, details are on the andi gladwins website

dirty stinkin ape in the middle - this is a freebie on andi's website

clean sanchez - you can see a demo of this great routine on magicvideodepot, have a look it is very good

b52 shooter - worth the price of the book in my opinion, I thought this would never work, then after about 3-4 tried cards startedflying out, this is a great routine, added to my act immediately

coke inhabit - a very new and novel method for a coin in coke bottle, not what you think, very cool!

matrimoney - a coins across routine, very nice

stick it to the man - a mental effect where you have 4-5 post it notes and ask the spectator to stick them on various parts of your body, they then match a prediction in the card case, very nice

paul mase's trick - an invisible card routine using different coloured cards for the travelling, I have also added this to my act immediately

scarred warp - this is a totally excellent idea, I have added this idea to my card warp routine, basically you tear out of the middle of the folded card to show what it looks like when the other card is going through the tunnel

sven who - basically a Svengali deck routine using normal cards, very good

sloppy 30 seconds - basically a two card transposition with a card that is on the floor, very easy to do but very powerful routine

I cannot recommend this book highly enough, it is available from http://www.andigladwin.co.uk and is very worthwhile of your attention, the routines are very different to may be what you are used to, it is also a very enjoyable read and quite funny in places, nothing is left out and tylers patter and jokes are also included.

I personally have now added, compost it, b52 shooter, stick it to the man, scarred warp and sloppy 30 seconds to my act straight away, now normally books and dvd's would pay for itself if you got one routine out of them I have got 4 from just this book alone, buy it you will not be diappointed!

Highy recommened
Do you take paypal Daren?
You can order the book from http://www.andigladwin.co.uk he does accept paypal payments, get this there are some very nice things in this
This is my favourite magic book in a long time. Tyler and Andi have done a great job. I understand there may be a second printing soon so buy now to get a first edition!
Zak, Daren and Rob,

Many, many thanks for your kind words - and a special thanks to Daren for writing up such a detailed review. I'm really glad that you guys are enjoying the book so much.

--Andi
[quote]
Coke Inhabit is a remarkable coin in bottle – and hugely different from every other version around. I am not going to reveal anymore specifics – the effect is more important than anything here, and to share Tyler’s plot with everyone for free would just be rude. But here are the advantages of Tyler’s version. Everything fits in a very small pocket. Visual, and you are left with a completely impossible object that the spectator keeps. No glass to carry around and break. It is, plainly put, sexual.
[/quote]

Everything in that part of review is true except the '...and you are left with a completely impossible object...'. When I read the coke Inhabit chapter, I didn't know if I had to cry or laugh. It is not an impossible object at all ! So if you buy this book essentially for this impossible object thing (like me, fan of impossible object), just forget about it. montz, I just don't understand why you wrote that.

Other stuff look good but didn't have time to read it yet...

Nicolas
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jul 18, 2006 01:12PM)
Nicholas, I havent got the book, but I saw Tyler perform this at the Session convention, in fact I believe it was in his lecture. It is a truly impossbile object to leave the spectator with. I don't know how the method is written up in the book, but at the session convention, it really was truly impossible
Hi Christopher,

I think Papawemba must be mistaken. The object is completely impossible - there is a coin completely sealed in an object that DOESN'T EVEN OPEN! EVER!

I am being deliberately vague, as I don't want to reveal the effect, but trust me, it is. And, it is more impossible than linked rubber bands, or a suspiciously beaten up bottle cap in bottle.

Perform it Papawemba. People go NUTS. They examine it from every side, and find nothing (if your prep is careful).

Also, about Dominatricks... It's a fine book.

Papawemba, I am also flattered that one line in one of my reviews was the single deciding factor in you buying the book. Maybe you should have a look at http://www.magic-mirror.co.uk sometime *insert grin*.

So, basically, agree to disagree, whatever, but it IS an impossible object!

Liam.
Don't get me wrong ! I think coke Inhabit IS an excellent trick and I will probably perform it :) (I also saw the video that comes with the book, and the tilt part is so excellent !)

I think it is a vocabulary problem....
For me it is not an impossible object since you can take the coin out and easely find a logical solution (not like tooth and nail impossible object for example) !

Still an excellent trick.

Nicolas
Howdy all,

If you subscribe to Lee Asher's mailing list, be sure to check out your inbox today. Lee has just sent out a newsletter giving the lowdown on Tyler Wilson's magic, including lots of information about the book too.

--Andi
The production value of the sample I got via Lee Asher is very nice. It's a treat to see a magician produce his material with respect and attention to detail, so very few bother to do so.
Thanks Gordon,

I treat production values extremely importantly and as I publish more books over the next few years, you'll see that it's something I concentrate on a lot.

I hope you enjoyed the preview.

--Andi
Howdy,

I thought you guys might like to read this quote by Roy Walton, who really likes Tyler's version of Card Warp:

"To add another dimension to the plot of a card turning inside out is by no means easy but Mr Wilson has succeeded admirably. A card that turns inside out with a centre that simultaneously becomes invisible, is a fascinating and amazing thing to watch. A fact that will be confirmed by your spectators. Congratulations Mr Wilson." --Roy Walton

The fact that even Roy Walton admires this routine means that it [b]must[/b] be good! You can find more quotes here:

http://www.andigladwin.co.uk/products/dominatricks/praise/

--Andi
Is this available anywhere in the US?
[quote]
On 2006-08-07 13:00, emyers99 wrote:
Is this available anywhere in the US?
[/quote]

Hi emyers99,

All USA orders of Dominatricks from my site are sent out from North America so that you don't have to wait for your book to be sent from the UK.

--Andi
Thanks Andi. I just placed my order.
This book has been one of my favs over the past few months, I recently now perform 3 effects out of this book in my local gigs, money very well spent.
For those that are interested, Dominatricks just recieved a glowing review from Eric Mead in the latest Genii magazine. Amongst much other praise, Mead said, "Dominatricks stands as an excellent book from a promising new voice."

More info can be found here: http://www.andigladwin.co.uk/products/dominatricks/

--Andi
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Nov 27, 2006 10:59PM)
Oh dear, I already grab my cred-card again . . . please post some negative reviews . . .
Just a quick question on the Tilt - does Tyler teach the entire sequence (e.g. getting the break, inserting the card) or just his refinements? Thanks.
Somebody must be able to answer that question...
Hey Fresh,
I'm sorry no one's been around to answer your question, they must be all out getting hammed with DeVito. Here's the lowdown:

The book was written under the assumption that the readers were already familiar with the Tilt principle. That being said, the description is still fully complete; including getting the break, inserting the card, and all the refinements along the way.

If you have any other questions, you know what to do.

Tyler Wilson
Excellent response Tyler! Thanks a lot. I plan on picking this up very soon, right after I finish Card College v2! :P
Message: Posted by: disgruntledpuffin (Dec 11, 2006 10:46AM)
On 2006-05-09 08:17, montz wrote:

(If you have met the man, PM me and explain how you fought the urge to attack him with an electric shaver – I am genuinely interested!)

Dear god Liams on the loose with the trimmers again. Any yeti's or Yeti like people, RUN!!!
Jack Tighe,
Actually, you know what's funny? I was with Tyler at Sorcerers Safari and would have to say that I am directly responsible for 3 large portions of Tyler's back getting waxed in front of 100 or so screaming and adoring fans! It was very memorable. So much so, that it lives on in the pics I have!!!

Aaron