(Close Window)
Topic: George Sands is gone.
Hello fellow Magicians

'Just received word that Master Magician George Sands passed away yesterday of natural causes at his home in Janesveill, Wisconsin. A Broken Wand Ceremony will be conducted as a portion of a Celebration of his Life to be held Sunday, May 21.

As the author/originator of so many time-tested effects (Ropesational, Sandsational and a myriad of mental, mathematical and card gems) and a truly "nice" man, George will be missed.

He passed Tuesday, May 16 at 9:15 A.M. at home.

Julie, A Friend of George
Very sad news indeed. I never had the good fortune to meet him, but I learned the "triple deal" from a book that he wrote. He will be missed. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
Never really met him, but saw his lecture many moons ago... his name will always live in magic through his wonderful contribution to rope magic.
Sorry to hear that. Where is the Broken Wand ceremony and Celebration of his Life going to be held?
[quote]
On 2006-05-17 15:54, Vandy Grift wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Where is the Broken Wand ceremony and Celebration of his Life going to be held?
[/quote]

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The Services will be held in Janesville (sorry for the initial mistake in spelling), Wisconsin. I'll post more specific info asap.

Julie
I had an opportunity to see him lecture back around 1978(ish). I was only about 12 years old and was easily the youngest attendee, but when I met him during the break, while purchasing his lecture notes and a copy of Sandslide, he shook my hand firmly and spoke to me like he would have to any one of the adults in the room. He had a smile on his face throughout the day and took a great deal of time ensuring that all questions asked were sufficiently answered before moving on to the next topic. He took the time and made every effort to be a teacher that day, and the audience was clearly appreciative.

I was sorry to see his name listed a couple of months ago in the "Sick & Convelescent" pages of The Linking Ring. I'm glad to know that a great deal of his material is still available in print so that those who have not had an opportunity to discover his work yet may still have a chance to do so. Rest well, George.
The Broken Wand Ceremony etc. will be held Sunday, May 21 at 2 P.M. at this same address.

Cards etc. may be sent to:

2001 Wesley Av #109
Janesville, Wisconsin 53545
I saw George lecture in Washington DC in the late 1970s or early 1980s. He was a very nice and rediculously clever guy who had some ingenious methods. It's remarkable how much of his rope material remains foundational for many of today's rope routines.