(Close Window)
Topic: The Perfect Scissors Have Been Found!
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (May 24, 2006 09:14PM)
Tis true! After shopping around and trying many a scissor (and I do mean many), I've found the [b]perfect[/b] scissors for your rope magic - Fiskars Garden Shears. The best part is they're only $8.98!
While perusing the aisles of Lowe's, yet again, I remembered that Dave V had recommended the Fiskars brand in another thread. He uses Fiskars Kitchen Shears. Well, ever the optimist, I decided to try 'em. Man, do they work! Like magic, I guess you could say. Cleanly cuts through the rope like butter. I hadn't even cored the rope! Excellent, excellent, excellent!!

Here's a link, so you can see what they look like - [url=http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=53096-1078-96376984&lpage=none]lowes.com[/url]

:banana: I'm so happy! :banana:
Try a good set of tin snips. They have blunt ends and cut very well.

Bill
Sigh...Now, if I could only find the left-handed version... (I use Fiskars in day-to-day life, but the uni-handed ones don't cut rope worth a darn.)

Dave
Thanks, Michael. I will give these a try.

Ron
Message: Posted by: The Person With A Username (May 25, 2006 06:22PM)
Thank you for sharing that. I remember one time I performed the cut and restored rope, and it took me so long to cut the tough rope with my flimsy scissors, I got more applause when it was cut than when I restored it.
The best I have found are actually poultry sheers from a processing plant. At some point they cull them for meat packing purposes, but they cut rope and metal like butter. Yet, they just look like 8" shears. I have a half dozen pairs of them, and I doubt that I have $30 in the lot. Some are silver, and some are black and silver.

Prior to that, I used Super Sheers from Tandy Leather. They are much more expensive, but not any better. (I learned this two pairs later!)

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
The Fiskar Garden Shears are excellent and lightweight. I also like the Wiss "Tin Snips" as recommended by Whit Haydn. They are heavier and a bit bulky, but really do the job. Also, they come rounded on the ends, so you can put them in your pocket.

Actually, I've rounded the points on my Fiskars and cut-no-cut scissors, too, so there's no chance of a child getting hurt. I've cut myself twice over the years doing a cut-and-restored routine. Once, when I was performing the Tabary Routine and I was only simulating a cut!

Do yourself a favor and round out the points on a grinder. Then again...maybe I'm just a klutz!
I want scissors that are ALL steel. I don't like the orange handles. :(
I'm with Frank. My scissors are stainless steel and made in Germany, very sharp. I keep them in a knife case. If you only need one pair of scissors in your entire lifetime, why not spend $40 on a good pair.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Tim Allen from "Home Improvement" would agree with Frank and Al, but we are talking about cutting soft magician's rope. The Fiskars is fine, but the steel Wiss Snips are better and only about $10. I keep the Fiskars with the kid props and the Wiss Snips (despite the red, rubberized handle) for macho guy stuff and for Hank Lee's Big Fat White Rope.
I use a pair from Staples, no name on them.
Sharpest pair I have ever owned.
I went to Lowe's a bought the Garden Shears, as Michael suggested. They're nice, and I'll use them for some things. However, I bought a pair of chrome scissors online at Joann Fabrics. That pair is a German-made, all chrome, upholstery cutting pair. Very classy looking and very massive looking, but over $40.00 too.

Ron
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Jun 4, 2006 10:41AM)
I didn't care for the oranges handles, so I spray painted them a matte black. Much better. ;)
[quote]
On 2006-06-04 08:48, Ron Reid wrote:
I went to Lowe's a bought the Garden Shears, as Michael suggested. They're nice, and I'll use them for some things. However, I bought a pair of chrome scissors online at Joann Fabrics. That pair is a German-made, all chrome, upholstery cutting pair. Very classy looking and very massive looking, but over $40.00 too.

Ron
[/quote]

Now, that's what I'm talking about.
Chrome, sharp, large - these are the three most important factors in magicians scissors. Cheap scissors will always look cheap. My $40 scissors, I have had for 15 years. It's not like you need a pair every year. Quality props are the sign of a pro.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
If you look a little more, Fiskars has those shears with black handles as well. The Kitchen Shears and Garden Shears are identical except for color. Those are the ones I bought, and mentioned in an earlier thread. They're sturdy, blunt tipped, cheap, and cut rope like butter!
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I thought I would post anyway. I use a pair of kitchen shears from Chicago Cutlery, and they seem to work really well. Nice, big finger space, and keep an edge pretty well. Plus when mine get a little dull, my nephew has a sharpening business, and I have him do them. When he is done, you can almost cut wire with them. Just my 2 cents here.

Steven
These all sound like they are a "cut" above the rest... :)
Hey guys,
I am on the Joann Fabric regular customers mailing list, and I just got a coupon good for 40% off on any one item in the store, which brings her $40 scissors down to $24 and makes those WalMart, Kmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Staples, Target, and Sears scissors look sad.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
[quote]
On 2006-06-14 19:46, Al Angello wrote:
Hey guys,
I am on the Joann Fabric regular customers mailing list, and I just got a coupon good for 40% off on any one item in the store, which brings her $40 scissors down to $24 and makes those WalMart, Kmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Staples, Target, and Sears scissors look sad.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
[/quote]

I need a coupon. I just ordered some more egg bag material from them, and it's IN!!
So, I want to pick up a couple pair of good scissors.
Frank:

I just went to Joann.com, and there's a 50 percent off coupon on the front page; it's for a single, regularly priced item. The coupon also says it's just for "today".

Ron
Well, Ron, it looks like my inside info is 10% less valuable than yours. So here we are, just a couple of regular guys, sharing some smart shopping tips to use at the fabric store.

Frank,
Next time you visit Joann Fabric, sign up for their mailing list and you will get coupons in the mail. I buy my beads on a string there; I give away more than 20 pearl poodles out a week. Of course, each poodle comes with a business card.
THANKS
Al Angello
Do you think JoAnn will send two coupons to the same household? I'd hate to have to fight my wife for them.

Best,

Jon
Check these scissors out. They are the best I have ever found.

http://www.shopscissors.com/product_info.php?products_id=231&osCsid=62b443bc835c60d19c99723cdcf5f7d6
One thing that is overlooked by a lot of magicians that do a lot with rope is the quality of the scissors. If you go buy the $8 or $9 pair at WalMart, then they are going to do you no good. When you shop for a pair, make sure that it is one that will hold a good edge. Sharpen them often, and make sure they are in excellent working order all the time. Buy a case for them, and use it. I have seen so many magicians use a cheap pair of scissors on rope, and they practically have to saw the rope in two. It looks bad, and it makes for a frustrated effect. I guess if Owen's Magic made a good set of scissors, then we would try to get the best. My 2 cents here.

Steven
Thanks for the tip.
I vote with the tin snip guys! Mine aren't "Wiss", but they have navy blue handles and are slightly smaller. Both are "improvements" in my book. Also, as a lefty, I find ambidexterousness (Wow, a new word!) a plus. Mine stick up out of my hip pocket just enough for an easy grab. Got 'em at Home Depot for $6 a few years ago. Probably more now.
Thanks for that link, Daniel! I've been looking for those scissors for a long time - they're the ones Michael Finney uses on his L&L video series. He bought them at Magic, Inc. for double the price. I checked with them some time ago, and they no longer carry those scissors.

I just ordered a pair - thanks again.

Ron
[quote]
On 2006-06-17 04:30, StevenMT wrote:
When You shop for a pair, make sure that it is one that will hold a good edge. Sharpen them often and make sure they are in excellent working order all the time. Steven
[/quote]
Do you sharpen them, yourself, with a whet stone, as you would a pocket knife? Or do you take them somewhere to be sharpened? Mine are good, quality scissors, but they're starting to need sharpened, and I've never sharpened scissors before. Thanks for your input.
My favorites are Clauss High Leverage Shears:

http://www.bmfwholesale.com/product_info.php/p/clauss-4248-high-leverage-shears
/products_id/134?osCsid=63e5278970feda097c86f98ee379e5de
Have you guys tried the shears at Tandy Leather?

Also, speaking of scissors, I'm looking for a pair of scissors that LOOK sharp, but aren't, so I can use them to do a more convincing cut in Pavel's Super Walking Knot - any suggestions?
[quote]
On 2006-06-16 11:32, Daniel Faith wrote:
Check these scissors out. They are the best I have ever found.

http://www.shopscissors.com/product_info.php?products_id=231&osCsid=62b443bc835c60d19c99723cdcf5f7d6

[/quote]

Thanks, Daniel!

I ordered these scissors, and they are superb. I have a friend who has the same pair of scissors and bought them as "chicken shears" and paid twice the price.
Those look like good scissors, but I don't like the point on them.

I have always used the tin snips because, though they are not "sharp" and never need sharpening, they cut through the thickest rope like butter.

They have a round end, so I can put them in my back hip pocket without tearing my pants or making a hole in the bottom of the pocket. I don't need a special holster to try to attach to my beltless tuxedo pants.

They also work the same for left or right handed people.

They look like they mean business with their gun metal blue shears and rubber handles. I also think that they look fine from stage, and actually are almost unnoticed by the audience. You can see my clip of the "Mongolian Pop-Knot" on the Palace stage at the Magic Castle here: http://www.whithaydn.com/video_clips.htm I doubt that anyone in the audience even noticed the red handles.

I have used and recommended tin snips since my street performing days in the 1960's.

If you need a chromed expensive set of scissors that call attention to themselves, these will not work for you. But I have even taken tin snips as carry-on luggage without being questioned. Their roundedness and lack of sharpness makes them seem harmless. But they will cut through magician's rope like it wasn't there.

I also have always felt it looked odd and silly for a performer to have a scissors holster in his business suit or tux.

I highly recommend the eight dollar tin snips from the hardware store.
BTW - The blued steel snips make a much clearer picture from stage distance against the white rope than chrome or shiny scissors do.
You're welcome, Ron and magicgrandpa. Glad I could help.
Ron, you're right, they are the same scissors that Michael Finney uses.
They cut rope like butter, don't they? And they hold an edge!
Even young children have no problem cutting rope with those.
I just got my pair of 8" high leverage shears. I love them, I only wish they had a better finish. My Mundials (Joanns) are prettier, but the HL shears are more versatile, I think, and pretty enough. The larger handle rings are better for my other ROR stuff. They did cost half as much, even including shipping, than my Mundials.
I use the Wiss 20W model. They are actually designed to cut fiberglass and Kevlar fabric. They are rather large, to the point that it adds more comedy to the act.
I would love to find a pair of scissors like Gene Anderson uses - now, THOSE are scissors!
[quote]
On 2006-07-26 22:51, Daniel Faith wrote:
You're welcome, Ron and magicgrandpa. Glad I could help.
Ron, you're right, they are the same scissors that Michael Finney uses.
They cut rope like butter, don't they? And they hold an edge!
Even young children have no problem cutting rope with those.
[/quote]

I bought a pair of the same ones Finney uses. In his DVD, they do cut rope like butter, but I don't seem to be getting the same effect. He seems to just snip them and it cuts, while I have to actually use quite a bit of force to cut through. I'm guessing it's the rope. I am using Elite Magician's Rope from Hocus Pocus. Any other suggestions?
I am surprised to find out that you do cut and restore with such expensive rope. I have been complaining about the $.10 a foot generic magician's rope. How much do you pay for that Elite rope?
Al Angello
Sorry to reopen an old topic, but I just found that topic searching for a perfect pair of scissors.
Sending mails to the company links listed, they told that they're not delivering to France in Europe.
Could anybody please help me to get a pair of Clauss High Leverage 7-3/4" chrome colored Shears ?
I might try aswell contacting US magic shops. Price is no probleme for me.
Thank you very much in advance.
Hi Oliver.

Is this what you are looking for?

By the way, has anyone tried the scissors that Abbott's sell?

Regan
Yes Regan !

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I contacted the shop and they're not selling to France unfortunately.
Regan

I believe The scissors you linked to are the scissors Abbott's sells.

I bought a pair from them about 2 weeks ago. They appear to be the same. Brand Name, etc.

Best,

Jon
Thank you Jon. That clears things up!

Regan
I also want some shipped to uk.
Anyone here from uk, I cant find good rope scissors.
Thos Clauss scissors look remarkable like the slidini scissors ZI have.
Bandage scissors. You can put them in any pockect without cutting yourself or poking holes in your clothing.
Manal
Do you go to Super Sunday, or Kutztown? We sould get together sometime. I'm not afraid of you even though you look a lot like Jessy the Body Ventura.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Apr 16, 2008 03:29PM)
OK, here’s my problem….
Form-before-function.

My style is once-upon-a-time, or period, or Victorian,
so I need to use a beautiful, elegant, and ornate pair of scissors.

It would be nice if they cut rope as well….
I’ve found ones that look great, and ones that cut great,
not both at once.

I don’t expect a solution here,
just wanted to crab about being a perfectionist <grin>

Magically,
Walt
Walt
The ones I got at Joann fabrics are elegant, sharp, and come in a safe plastic case.
Joann fabrics does have some ornate scissors that are high quality. check them out.
Al is correct. . . at last.
Not to be confused with " Golden Fun Shears <g>
[quote]
On 2008-04-16 11:01, Al Angello wrote:
Manal
Do you go to Super Sunday, or Kutztown? We sould get together sometime. I'm not afraid of you even though you look a lot like Jessy the Body Ventura.
[/quote]

Sorry but I am ignorant of Super Sunday and what goes on in Kutztown. If you get time to send a PM I would like to know more.

At 5'8" I'm more like Ventura's mini me.
Super Sunday is held twice a year in November, and June in Bensalem, Pa. It is put on by Bob Little and is a great regional one day convention. The Kutztown magic convention is put on by the Reading SAM and is also a great one day convention in November. There is also a convention that I have never been to in Harrisburg on May 24. The MAES convention is in Carlisle Pa. this year in August and it is a big four day convention. I sometimes work in Lancaster, Millersville, York, Harrisburg, and Hershey, so I hope to meet you some day at one of those events.
I use electrician's scissors. I think I got the idea from the Café a few years ago. They are relatively small, have rounded tips, which I also like. They cut through rope very easily, and have a shorter blade.

An advantage for shorter blades is that I can I can take 9 feet of rope, bundle it up and shove the scissors in the middle of it without the end poking out, and be ready to go at a moments notice. I've also found that when asking kids to cut the rope, you need to have shorter blades so they can get the leverage needed. They tend to try and cut the rope near the tips. Usually when they open the blades, I push the rope as far in as I can so they get the leverage. I think I'll buy a pair of the claus high leverage for that same reason, although I'd rather see less pointy tips on them.

Joe H
FYI
You can grind the point off of any scissors.
[quote]
On 2008-04-20 12:36, Al Angello wrote:
Super Sunday is held twice a year in November, and June in Bensalem, Pa. It is put on by Bob Little and is a great regional one day convention. The Kutztown magic convention is put on by the Reading SAM and is also a great one day convention in November. There is also a convention that I have never been to in Harrisburg on May 24. The MAES convention is in Carlisle Pa. this year in August and it is a big four day convention. I sometimes work in Lancaster, Millersville, York, Harrisburg, and Hershey, so I hope to meet you some day at one of those events.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I live just south of York. I hope to make it to some of these events if I can get off work.
It would be very nice to meet you.
Jim
Oh No.. just had another pair, confiscated at airpor security
when I forgot to put them in my checked bag. This is getting expensive
I have the same German Gingher scissors that Al has. I bought them because, the clerk at the fabric store said, "They were the best" and I liked how shiny the handle and blades looked. I never used them for magic, because they are too sharp. I keep them hidden in a drawer and use for trimming my clothing or anywhere a precise cut is required on cloth. After I bought those I saw a review of a pair of rope cutting scissors in the Linking Ring. They sold for $20. The handle is symetrical so they will cut no matter which way you hold them. The points are dull when you buy them. The best part they give a clean cut every time. I am still using them and have never had to sharpen them. They are also very light. I hand them to the child and let them cut my rope for C&R. That's how easy and safe they are to use.
I've just discovered that the type of scissors Michael Finney uses are listed on Ebay as Tin Snips.
I bought these many years ago and they've worked perfectly for me.
They were around 30.00
They're the 8 inch knife blade scissors.
http://www.sewingpalace.com/images/gingher.jpg

Having said that, on Whit's suggestion, I am going to pick up those gun blue snips asap and try them out as well.
My tin snips just arrived in the mail.

They do not work at all...

@#$ waste of money.
I sell Mike Finneys scissors, it doesn't show on my website, it should soon. BTW...Mike gets his ropes from me. ;)
Ok ok...i updated my website. now you can have the same kick-ass scissors as Finney uses.
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 05:57, dbaronian wrote:
Ok ok...i updated my website. now you can have the same kick-ass scissors as Finney uses.
[/quote]

Wow, terrific price too! I'll be picking these up as well as some of your rope in the near future. Thank you!
Thanks dbaronian.

Scissors arrived here in Australia, and I am extremely happy with them.
Hi Tom,
Glad you like them, they are really great.

Dany