(Close Window)
Topic: Card Training Plan
I have just started doing card magic and I am trying to make myself a "Card training plan" which will be full of the basic techniques. I have looked around on the web and so many different people tell you so many things I don't know what techniques are basic vital techniques and which are ones I will need but not at first. I am currently polishing my double lift and classic palm techniques but don't know what other basic skills I need. This forum is my only contact with other magicians but I feel everytime I read this forum I am becoming more and more of a beginner than a proper magician. I need a mentor.
Double Lift - They see the card face but you don't.
Double Turnover - Everyone sees the face on top of the deck.

Some that I consider somewhat easy and should get you started.
[list]
[*]Forces - Criss Cross/Cross Cut Force, Hindu Force and Slip Force.
[*]Controls - Jog shuffle, Double Undercut, Turnover Pass, Slip Shuffle, Vernon Glide.
[*]Secretly reverse a card - Braue Reversal.
[*]False Counts- Elmsley Count, Biddle Count.
[*]False Riffle Shuffle - Zarrow, Strip-Out Shuffle, Push Through.
[*]False Overhand Shuffle - Bob King's False Overhand Shuffle, G.W. Hunter.
[*]False Cuts - Himber False Cut, Under-Cut False Cut.
[*]Color Change - Erdnase.
[*]Palm - Gambler's Cop, One Hand Top Palm.
[/list]

Searches here at the Café and Google should help you find souces.
If money resource is a problem I suggest you purchase "The Royal Road To Card Magic" by Hugard/Braue. If money is no problem, get "Card College" Volumes I thru IV by Roberto Giobbi. A mentor is nice, but if you can't find one, then the next best thing is the above resources. These books will provide you with a progressive learning plan that will start you at the beginning and take you thru to the more advanced sleights required to do any kind of card magic.

<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>>
Excellent list Jaz !
The Royal Road to card magic was the book I started with as well.
it was only after a few years that I purchased Card college. the card college books are FULL of sleights and grea effects.
if you were to choose between them I would recommend the card college course.
if you can ,of course get both as they are a must for any cardician.
you're gonna be busy for quite a while ;)
good luck on your journey in magic !

-Matt