(Close Window)
Topic: Magnet imbedded under skin
Just read an interesting article about people imbedding rare earth magnets under their skin:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71087-0.html?tw=rss.index

This was started as body modification fun, but it instantly got me thinking about the possibilities of using this in the industry.

Thoughts?
Sounds like the perfect way to do an impromptu chop cup routine with a paper or plastic cup! So... how dedicated are you to magic? Ready to sign up for the implant! Hah!
Personally, I don't think its that big of a deal. If the magnet is good enough quality and not too obvious that you have something implanted, it makes perfect sense to use that as a tool. Might be useful for coin effects too.
It will make going through the airport security a big hassle... but think of the fun you could have with an etch-a-sketch...
Wouldnt that be fun the next time you walk by a somewhat heavy metal object. THat object jumps off the table and slams into your skin giving you the biggest smurf bite of your life. That would feel so good!
Lool ! I bet it would !
but I think it could be worth it. it can't be that complicated
to implant a magnet under your skin. you could do PK effects naked :D
I would definetly get one

-Matt
That is going too far for me.
I find it beyond funny that Magicians would actually do this for an effect. I have a floating bridge I would like to sell somebody.
Here's an article from Wired Magazine about somebody who had this done, but not for magical purposes.

[url]http://tinyurl.com/mlmtx[/url]

Something caused it to shatter and he lost all the magnetism properties. Then, months later, he started to feel the magnetism again. Turns out the embedded magnet, being a magnet, reassembled itself.

Pretty interesting stuff.
That sounds really good for you health. You have shattered magnets under your skin. Sign me up for this bright idea!
This is such a stupid idea that its almost brilliant!

why don't some fat magicians lypo themselves then use the extra skin to make a natural toppit? or cut a slit under your thumb and make a REAL TT?

(i have been drinking..burrrp)
If you stuck one in your face, would that make you "attractive" .. :) ..
Wow... this was actually news when it was first mentioned like 3 years ago... now some wired reporter decides to pick up the story and its news again???

Here is when it was first mentioned on the Café(i believe)... and it is even older than that!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=96064&forum=14
Yeah. I just noticed sanscan's post while browsing around the Café. Of course not before I posted this thread. (smacks head)
Well Im still in medschool, but I am planning on specialiting in Plastic Surgery, so I could definatlly help you guys there. And in the mean time, why not fabricate a topit using your own love handles? LOL

Danny
I actually think this is an interesting idea. We spend our lives working out the next killer move. Everything we do is to present something spectacular to an audience. I think, even though we won't admit it, the idea is at least "interesting." Having played with rare earth magnets for many years, I can say they're very strong but VERY brittle. Without a strong plastic encasing I'd not go for it.

...but just imagine the PK possibilities! :)
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jun 14, 2006 03:31PM)
Great. Now I have to hear kids shout "He has a magnet in his hand!". Of course the surgery would be easier than hooking up a Raven.
Rather than pay for expensive surgery, why not try to swallow an M5. Then you can do PK effects without a shirt on.
[quote]
On 2006-06-14 20:09, tbaer wrote:
Rather than pay for expensive surgery, why not try to swallow an M5. Then you can do PK effects without a shirt on.
[/quote]

I already tried that, but you have to swallow such a large magnet for two reasons. One you don't want to "pass" the thing.

Two. It has to be strong enough to make it through you stomach and skin.

It is hard to get that big of a magnet down.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jun 15, 2006 07:33PM)
I believe they make giant capsule shaped magnets to get metal out of cows. You could swallow it before a show, and pass it the next morning. Who's first?
The problem I have is I believe half of the people are actually serious.

WOW that scares me.
????????
[quote]
On 2006-06-07 17:54, Matt Malinas wrote:
Lool ! I bet it would !
but I think it could be worth it. it can't be that complicated
to implant a magnet under your skin. you could do PK effects naked :D
I would definetly get one

-Matt
[/quote]

What about the possibilitiy of infection?
I'd pass on that. A friend was showing me some rare earth sliver magnets he was selling. They were extremely small - maybe a 1/4" long and 1/64" wide. He was selling them mostly for cardwork.
Wow, to have a magnet imbedded under somebody's skin is a pretty messed up thing to do. Even if it's for magic.

Chrix
Mago Anton had a fish that had a magnet inside to do a fantastic card effect, but was asked to stop doing it at the Den Haag FISM.
I think that the biggest problem would be sticking to random things, wiping out your credit cards, etc. But if you had a switch installed and made it an electromagnet instead, I think that it might actually be a practical idea.
See what I mean? Scary
Here is a clip of "A Fish Called Cousteau"

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/clips/cousteaxu.wmv
I can just see it now... someone has one of these inserted in their carcass... they get a booking out of town and decide to fly to the gig... the crack troops manning the perimeter for the TSA at the airport get a BIG BEEP out of the person as they pass through the MAGNETOMETER (which is what the metal detector is, folks - clue's missile impact on that one!) and they do what they have been trained to do:

A BODY CAVITY SEARCH

and this will now happen to the person with this gizmo inside them EVERY TIME they go through airport security. OH! The humanity!!

And I will be standing in line behind them, laughing myself half to death!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
People have mentioned various problems with the idea of an embedded magnet, but what about just a small thin piece of metal that would attract a magnet? On the back of the hand, for example. Then you could use magnetized coins for back palms, etc., but without the complications of magnets.
Same problem if it is ferrous (magnetic reactive) - the magnetometer (metal detector) is going to DETECT it and this will lead to you getting passed over with the wand first, then, because they won't believe you that you actually have a shim of metal embedded under your skin for a magic trick, will subject you to all sorts of humiliating tests and searches.

Including going up and inside your body.

And heaven help you if you go to a country that is REALLY paranoid about airport security, like Israel or Red China!

This is NOT a good idea, people.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
That would cause way too much trouble. Wouldn't a strong enough magnet leave a bulge? Then you're going to feel pretty dumb when someone says, "hey...what did you...put a magnet under your skin?!"
[quote]
On 2006-07-16 00:54, Lee Darrow wrote:
Same problem if it is ferrous (magnetic reactive) - the magnetometer (metal detector) is going to DETECT it and this will lead to you getting passed over with the wand first, then, because they won't believe you that you actually have a shim of metal embedded under your skin for a magic trick, will subject you to all sorts of humiliating tests and searches.

Including going up and inside your body.

And heaven help you if you go to a country that is REALLY paranoid about airport security, like Israel or Red China!

This is NOT a good idea, people.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
[/quote]

I don't know why I am even humoring this, but why would you TELL them it's a magnet for magic? Lots of people have metal joints or rods from surgeries and accidents. It's pretty common. I don't think anyone would have trouble.

Now, going through surgery and having a magnet implanted is a bit rediculous. I'll stick to my Raven ;)
I will stick to slight of hand. Forget the Raven.

Oh and under the skin? Like I said this scares the heck out of me as I feel some of these guys may actually be serious on some level.
Hehe I would see someone embedded an m5 in their skin, just what people think of in archieving magic. Indeed some normal sleights would do the same thing or even better most of the time.
[quote]
On 2006-07-25 19:42, Jaypoc wrote:
I don't know why I am even humoring this, but why would you TELL them it's a magnet for magic? Lots of people have metal joints or rods from surgeries and accidents. It's pretty common. I don't think anyone would have trouble.

Now, going through surgery and having a magnet implanted is a bit rediculous. I'll stick to my Raven ;)
[/quote]

Because, if you do NOT have the documentation FOR that surgical implant, which most people DO, then you CAN be required to submit to a full body cavity search under the new TSA regulations, that's why.

Even if you did tell them that it is a magnet for magical purposes, I sincerely doubt that the crack troops manning the perimeter at the airport would BELIEVE that story. Would YOU?

;)

Lee Darrow, C.H.
This topic has been quiet for a long time, but since I'm new and have been snooping around alot, I thought I might leave my first post here.

I'm not much for considering an implant but the idea of a "built in" Raven of some sort seems intriguing. I'm working to produce the effect of a coin that has not quite passed thru my hand. Not much different than the threaded needles from the belly button. I would think a thin magnetic sheet could be applied in the same manner allowing a "sleeves up" version of certain routines that might be unique.... and quiet too.
After I have a magnet put in my left hand, I'm going to implant an ITR in my right. Then I'll be unstoppable.
What's next?? FISM Flash implanted in your chest??? :rotf:
Oh man... You would never be able to pick a phone, mp3 player or CD again, and would never get through security, anywhere, ever.
Would sure put an end to the old raven, though...
Implanted magnet, good idea but I would never advise it. you could implant it in your left hand if your domaint hand is your right. but like I said, don't do it.
Talk, talk, talk! I've gone ahead and done it! I have them in my forearms. I have already developed some amazing effects:

A paperclip jumps off the table and dangles from my arm.

I do a routine called "Invisible Pusher" in which a "ghost" puts a hypodermic needle into my arm without my participation. This went over huge in my doctors office, although inadvertent.

My arms slam together, and no one can get them apart.

At a formal dinner, I can use every piece of silverware simultaneously, at times with intention.

Down sides:

Iron filings are hard to deal with, and impossible to remove completely. Sometimes I look a bit rusty.

My skin sticks out every time I get near the fridge - this could be a "tell".

Sometimes I have a lot of trouble putting things down.

The needle thing is starting to get old.

Sometimes I will be pelted with someones earring.

My credit cards are in the same drawer with my tapes.
What happens if a person who actually does this [url=http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:66OWSWSh2qoJ:www.wsoctv.com/health/5303325/detail.html+%22Any+magnetic-susceptible+metal+in+or+on+the+body+can+also+be+affected+by+the+magnetic+force+from+an+MRI.+Metallic+objects+in+the+body,+like+surgical+wires,+clips+and+pacemakers+can+be+pulled+into+the+magnetic+field.+Serious+injury+or+death+can+occur+if+the+implant+is+dislodged+%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a]requires an MRI?[/url]
[quote]
On 2007-04-10 07:09, state wrote:
After I have a magnet put in my left hand, I'm going to implant an ITR in my right. Then I'll be unstoppable.
[/quote]

What happens with the thread breaks or you run out? Just grab a razor blade and slice it open for the refills? :lol:

Best,
Steve
[quote]
On 2007-04-15 23:53, Magic_Steve wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

What happens with the thread breaks or you run out? Just grab a razor blade and slice it open for the refills? :lol:

Best,
Steve
[/quote]
No, I changed my mind. I'm going to have a robot arm installed so I can program it to do all my sleights for me. It will also be handy for my metal bending routine. My ITR can then be accessed with a screwdriver. HA! LOL

Robodini
[quote]
[/quote]

As soon as I read this, I got the image of you as Spider Man latching onto objects from across the room with your "web."
That could totally have some applications!

As far as magnets are concerned, why not just have a plate put into each hip, so you can stick magnets to and use as a holdout?
Wow, this would be amazing. Haha Ellusionist and Penguin, we have JUST outsmarted the M5!
[quote]
On 2007-04-16 19:31, milespianoforte wrote:
Wow, this would be amazing. Haha Ellusionist and Penguin, we have JUST outsmarted the M5!
[/quote]

How is it that we have outsmarted a highway in the United Kingdom?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lee Darrow, C.H.
It sounds like the magnet would erase any electronic thing you touch!
[quote]
On 2006-06-12 11:59, danielrmk wrote:
Well Im still in medschool, but I am planning on specialiting in Plastic Surgery, so I could definatlly help you guys there. And in the mean time, why not fabricate a topit using your own love handles? LOL

Danny
[/quote]
Must open up new gig opportunities at nudist Café's.