(Close Window)
Topic: One Liners for Rope tricks
Let's see how many we can accumulate that
relate to rope tricks.
This is my trained rope... I've raised it since it was a string...
Not original, but here are a couple I use:

To us this is a piece of rope, but to the Jolly Green Giant, it is just dental floss.

It's my mom's clothesline. Don't tell her I took it for today's show.
This is old but to some new:

"...and if I cut off this end, and that end,
...there...a rope with no ends!"
I bring two people on stage for the Kellar Rope Tie. I hand each of them one end of the rope. I ask one if he knows what that is he has in his hand. The automatic response will be, "The end of the rope." I say, "Not from where you're standing. It's the beginning." Same is repeated with the other spectator and about 90% of the time, he will also say, "The end."

When I make a loose knot in the rope, I ask them if they know what that is, and they say, "A knot." I tell them it's sort of a "Doe-knot." I stick my hand through the knot and ask them to pull, but "Doe-knot jerk the rope." There are other doe-knots that can be added depending on whether this is going over or not.

For adult audiences, when they're tying my hands behind my back, I tell them what a good job they're doing and ask where they got their experience. One guy said, "The boy scouts," to which I just raised an eyebrow. With kids, I tell them, "Don't take my wallet," even if I don't have one.

"Come on, are you just stringing me along here?"

"My rope has a name. Mark. Mark Twine."
Holding up a whiterope:
"This is a rope.
"If it were green, it could be a viper.
"If it were black, it could be a vindshield viper!"
:lol:
From the Mongolian Pop-Knot routine: "You can examine this. It is just a piece of rope like you'd find in any bedroom."
During a knot routine:

Are you any good at tying knots, sir?

Watch and learn - these are better than a boy scout when you're desperate!!! (For the loo, that is!)
Here're a few from my database.
[list][b]
[*] (After rope's examined) Now, I'll take the rope back. After all, it's my rope.
[*] (As rope untangles) Here's the famous dancing rope!
[*] (Produce rope from belt) They're supposed to cut that when you're born.
[*] (Put two pieces Of rope in empty box of Tide) Now the ropes are Tide (tied) in-Tide.'(inside)
[*] Here's a rope with two ends, one at each. And a middle somewhere near the center.
[*] I would like for you to see the famous Indian Rope Trick...but I don't do it.
[*] I'd go to any lengths? I'm sorry, I plead temporary insanity.
[*] This is a trick with string for those of you who are into light bondage.
[*] This is the American Indian Rope Trick.
[*] When doing the uneven rope trick and your spec has just cut it, laugh and say, 'Good thing you're not a Rabbi.' Grab the small piece of rope and fling it into the audience joking, 'Here's keep the TIP.'
[*] Ask your audience, 'Would You like to see a rope trick?' They respond with, 'Yes!' Present your rope. And say, 'Alright then!' Take the rope and throw it on the ground. You command the rope to 'sit,' 'stay.' Proudly clap your hands like it was the best rope trick in the whole world, then say 'Okay rope, play dead.' Clap your hands again. Next say, 'Okay watch this one... rope roll over.' (Physically bend down, pick up the rope and flip it over. Now they begin to get it.) Clap again. Then say, 'Okay WATCH this one.' (Bend down and tuck the rope into your shoe so it stays in place, take a few steps forward with the rope attached) and say, 'Rope, come!'
[*] Rope Across Stage into wings. Pull yourself across stage into wings. Have someone shake rope as you run around to the other side and pull yourself back on stage. [/b][/list]
-During cut and restored rope -

Everyone watching the knot. You do know that everyone watching the knot is not (knot) watching.

Ok, usually gets groans as opposed to laughs!
If you get 2 guys to help hold the ends of the rope you can say,

Get your end up - and get your end up...
Please "knot" in front of the children.
Made that one up myself and feel free to use it. Just hope I'm not taking credit for something that's been said before so I apologize beforehand. :banana:
Classic one liner, don't think I saw it above, but I say, when doing Williamson's ring and rope routine, after the rope's been examined and going into my pocket to get the ring:

"Ropes are kinda boring, so.....well she has a big smile on her face, what have you been doing with ropes" and have a provocative look in your eyes. This is not one for the children :lol:

Another great one liner that has nothing to do with ropes but is fabulous is when they laugh, say:
"You may laugh now but when you see me on National TV you'll turn to your friend and be like, I knew that guy before he killed those two people" :bg:
This is more of a sight gag, but worked great. One time I was doing a show and the MC was a very popular, and known as a very tough sentencing, superior court judge. He was gonna help with a rope trick. I asked him to pull the rope out of the bag by the end. When it came out it was tied in the form of a noose. This got many laughs including from him.
quack
The noose rope would be great if you get someone up for an "audience participation trick."
(Now everyone will remember you as hung)
"Now take the scisssors and cut the rope...Remember, pink is fingers!"

Cheers!
"Here is a piece of rope... actually it is a giant shoelace... It was once owned by Ed Sullivan... He had a really big shoe!"
"Okay, now I need you to cut the rope, NO!!! NOT THERE!!!

And for my next trick. I-tie-the-rope-back-together. (while apparently glaring at the
"assistant")
"I'd like to show you a rope trick. The reason I call it a rope trick is because . . . it uses a piece of rope".

"I'd like to show you something with a piece of white rope . . . you can tell that by it's color". :wavey:
I make knots in the rope as I say, "This is such a knotty trick!"
:kermit:
It's not original with me but here goes:

"There is a saying, 'Give a magician enough rope and he'll hang himself. On the other hand, he might do a trick.'"

TM
I have polled people to see what they are thinking when they see a magician with a piece of rope.

70% think he is going to cut it.

20% think he is going to hang himself.

10% didn't understand the question (and gave answers like 2 beers - Pamela Anderson - my wife please). :goodluck:
An old run-on type gag - "Why are you dragging that rope?" pushing it didn't seem to work........

phill
This post has me all in knots! :clownonball:
Go ahead and cut the cord, or do we need to ask your mother?
Not a one-liner though...
Cut a rope twice and have two knots on it... Then say to assisting spec...
"Knot-knot..."
"Who's there?"
"Carter..."
"Carter who?"
"Cut the rope already.... See the knot-knot!" Pull the knots off of the rope...

:rotf:
Made that one up just now! ;)

:online:
With the knot that "magically" came off, pick it up, listen to it a moment and say, "It says it used to be a rope but now, frayed knot!"
From Blackstone, as he dissolved a knot in a handkerchief: "When is a knot not a knot? Well, who cares, really."

My line for the Bow Knot (recently used by Daryl on the Fooler Dooler's DVDs) "You get a tight little knot... and have to sleep with your shoes on."

Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Some :rotf: , some :fruity:

Someone mentioned in a post about the spectator cutting the rope something to the effect of...

"OK please cut the rope and remember white is right, pink is wrong and if you see red stop, it's not part of the trick."
This rope has two ends just like I do—one I put my hat on and the other...well you know! (This works for young and old if you use the appropriate gestures.)

:rotf: Darryl the Wizard
The late Howard Bamman would tuck his rope into his pants before the show... right behind the belt buckle.

When he was ready for the routine, he would pull the rope into view and say, "I have here a piece of rope. Or... an intestine." Then he'd tug on the rope a few times and say, "No, it's a piece of rope." All delivered in the deadpan style, which was his trademark.

Dennis Loomis
[url]http://www.loomismagic.com[/url]
I think that this is an old one, but I didn't see posted. "Give a Magician enough rope-and he'll cut it up"! :spinningcoin:
"Here is a Rope, and no I'm not talking Remote Object Proxy Engine."

Good for when you perform for Software Programmers.

:rotf:
Always good for a cheap chuckle if you can deliver it with your knottiest...er...naughtiest expression:

"Knot There!"