(Close Window)
Topic: Miniature trap doors
I am in the process of modifying one of my old creations and need some assistance with spring-trap doors. I am trying to source parts that will function as mini trapdoors in small wooden pedestals. The pedestals are tubular and have a diameter of about 2". Does anyone have any experince with this.

Simon
Try looking first in craft and hobby shops, also try Micheals. If they don't have it, then I'm sure they can tell you where you can find it.

Brian
Simon,
Try this site: http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewCatLevel3.asp?Cat=1143 It sells 1 9/16" opening spring hinges that should do the trick. Alternately, make your own by cutting two knuckles off a 4 knuckle hinge and winding music wire to make a spring. Search the Café for detailed posts on doing this.
Dave
In the past I have made my own rather unusual trap doors, - very difficult to describe but they work on exactly the same principle as a f*ld*ng c**n using elastic bands as the hinge/spring.

If you need any details then drop me a pm.
Here's a sketch of my "f*ld*ng c**n" trapdoor - I've used it on two props without any problems. It will probably require adapting to suit your particular needs, prototype it first!
Excellent concept! Thanks much!

~michael
Thank goodness I stumbled back into this thread. What great info, thanks guys.
Simon
MagicJohn,

Great ideas.

Thanks