(Close Window)
Topic: Hyper Card Project
The Hypercard Project
By Tom Frame tomframe1@comcast.net
Medium: Booklet, spiral bound, 36 pages
Interest: File cards, business cards, bills, playing cards
Venue: walk around, trade show, close up
Skill Level: All

My first introduction to the Hypercard was in Wesley James book Enchantments in a routine based on Waltons Card Warp called Hyper Warp. When I first read the instructions and saw the illustrations I was convinced that Wesley had erred some place because it was impossible to end up the way he described. Gleefully I told Wes that I found this error and he instructed me to go and work through the routine. I did. Wes wasn’t wrong. That started my enthusiasm for the Hypercard and at the time I reviewed Wes’ book I commented (this was on the radio review) that the routine alone was worth $20 bucks easy. It is very well thought out, commercial as heck, and it leaves the spectator with a very bizarre item that will find its way to a desk and stay there. I cannot tell you how good of a trick this is. By now you may be wondering what this has to do with a book by magician Tom Frame, let me tell you. You will find the full text and photo’s to go with it of Hyper Warp in The Hypercard !
Project (with Wes’ blessings). That alone makes this book a very worthwhile purchase…but there is more. Oh, the price is $25 plus a bit for mailing. A deal just for Wes’ material!

Let us look at the book. First of all it is really well written and edited. You won’t find a lot of typo’s and spelling errors, Tom put in some work before putting it out. The book is illustrated with photos that are clear and work well with the text. He also spent extra money on making sure it was printed up nicely and it is held together with a spiral binding as if found in many of the Scoundrel items. A quality product. You get eight routines utilizing the Hypercard including the work of fellows like Don England, Bob Neale, Martin Gardner, Richard Kaufman, Stephen Minch, Ben Harris, Mr. James, and of course Tom Frame. A pretty impressive list if you ask me.

What is a Hypercard? I’m glad you asked! It is a card, usually a file card or playing card, that looks impossible….and I mean this. I know how it is made and it still amazes me when I look at one. It was created by a mystery person but shown by a student in Vancouver to a professor who then showed Martin Gardner who published it in one of his scientific magazines. From that point magical applications were applied to it. One of the first applications was presented by Karl Fulves (in the book) using file cards. It is an interesting routine and opens the book. We then get to explore routines such as a torn and restored sequence, a routine with a specially printed business card, and some work with other strips of paper and dollar bills. The dollar bill stuff will take practice but still you have fascinating items and cool things to do with them. This is all valuable material and some of the tips are really cool.

We then get to learn Wes James’ Hyper-Warp. Great routine and thought out completely so that it is fluid and no suspicious moves used. This is done with regular cards, really, and ends with a finishing activity that preserves the card in mid twist. If you know the Walton routine, and you should before doing one of these versions because Mr. Walton is marketing his routine still and it is only proper he gets his dime, you know the idea is a card turns inside out inside of another card. A great trick made better by ending up with a Hypercard in the hand of the spectator. There is only one problem and that is the card is so odd looking people will want to try to reverse engineer it and that is pretty easily done. This is why Wes’ ending is genius, it prohibits that reverse engineering but if someone really wants to know how it is done they will figure it out. I’ve only had one person tear the card apart in front of me to figure it out and he made a big show of ‘knowing how the !
card was made’ until I handed him two cards and asked him to duplicate the actions. How do we avoid the problem with the public being curious? Easy answer: Son of Hyper-Warp!

That is right kiddies….Tom Frame has developed a routine based on Wes’ work using special cards (some come with the purchase of the book and more are available). Tom really put some thought into this routine and the card just makes the ending, as the kids say, really sick (that means great right?). I don’t want to get too into it but Tom leaves ‘em with a card that not only looks impossible, if they do unfold it they have a card that is beyond impossible, and they have contact info for him to boot. His ideas of presenting the card to the spec takes Wes idea a bit further and is a winner. I will say that the ultimate fix Tom suggest isn’t like to occur but he is right in that it would be the ultimate. This is a great addition to the Hyper Warp routine and my hat is off to Tom for all his work in figuring everything out. If you are working a trade show or have a potential client you want to remember you or your trade show joint this is one great way to do so. In fact you can c!
harge your client extra for the cards and you are set. This is a real winner.

I was thrilled to see someone put together all the Hypercard work and to find it so well done was really great. You will want to get this booklet, email and paypal Tom. When you get the booklet just look at the illustration on the cover…that is legit, you end up with a card looking like that. This gets one of my rare ‘highly recommends’’.

$25
"Tom Frame has developed a routine based on Wes’ work using special cards"

Are these special cards something that you have to keep buying from Tom, or is it something you can make for yourself after buy the first set?
The book comes with some cards and you can purchase them as well. I saw somewhere that Tom was getting more in. To be honest I think that the card left over after Wesleys routine is twisted enough for most people but if you have a client you really want to impress or you have a company you work for who will pay for the cards then Toms specially printed cards are the way to go.
Steve V
Cool. Thanks.
Guys,

David Le Fevre, from the U.K., has discovered a "special something" that allows you to create home-made gaffs. He kindly sent me several of them and I'm impressed. They closely approximate the quality of my gaffs. His method will be revealed in the 2nd edition of the booklet.

Thanks,

Tom
Really? Good for David! I knew he really liked the book so it must have got him thinking. I still say there is nothing cooler to end up with than a hypercard.
Steve V
Evan (Magiguy) has just drawn my attention to this thread, and has asked whether purchasers of edition 1 of [i]The Hypercard Project[/i] could also obtain my method of making [i]Son of Hyper-Warp[/i] gaffs.

Thanks for the heads up, Evan – I hadn’t known that this thread existed.

Since many others may wish to ask me the same question, here’s my general-purpose response.

I like my gaffs, they’re easy to make, and I use them. They’re nothing special though – don’t expect a “killer method” for making beautiful gaffs.

As far as I’m concerned, anybody who’s bought [i]The Hypercard Project[/i] is welcome to the method. However, I shan’t distribute my method until Tom has published it.

When edition 2 has been published then I’ll be more than happy to e-mail my method to anybody who can prove that they have the book (by telling me what the first word on a certain page is). Or Tom may well have a preferred method of distributing such information, and that’s fine by me.

Dave
Thanks Dave! That's very generous of you. This is a great book, and any additional material is always appreciated and welcome.
Thanks Steve V for an excellent review - looks like this one will make my short list!

Dave
Hey guys,

As I mentioned previously, Dave's discovery will eventually appear in the 2nd edition of The Hypercard Project. But until then, I want verified purchasers of the booklet to have access to current Hypercard developments. This is in keeping with my vision of THP as an ongoing, creative endeavor. So, here is our offer:

Identify the 1st word on page 31 of the booklet. PM Dave and tell him the word and give him your e-mail address. He will e-mail you back his descripion of the "sneaky something." For free!

Enjoy!

Tom
Excellent! Many thanks, Tom and Dave!! PM is on its way...
Hi folks,

At long last, 52-card refill decks for my "Son of Hyper-Warp" effect from The Hypercard Project are available! They cost a mere $12.00 + $1.50 per deck domestic S&H, or $3.50 per deck international. Please specify blue back Queen of Hearts or red back King of Spades.

Send check or money to:

527A 21st Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94121

Or PayPal to tomframe1@comcast.net

Thanks for your support.

Tom Frame
This book/pamphlet arrived in the post today. I must say it is an excellent write up and synthesis of hypercard effects that have gone before but Tom has also added several of his own ideas including the extraordinary 'son of hyperwarp'. I have been glued to the thing all afternoon and have read it through once. It is well written, clear and informative. Although I bought the original card warp, this taught me some new tips on that too.

For anybody interested in out of the ordinary card magic and/or impossible objects, I would say this is a must buy.

Thanks for all your hard work Tom!

Merlin
Thank you for your kind words, Merlin!

Tom
Folks,

I've attached some quotes from happy purchasers of The Hypercard Project:
Is it possible to SEE what one of these Hypercards is?
GDW,

My photos of the completed "Son of Hyper-Warp" card are too large for this forum to accept. E-mail me at tomframe1@comcast.net and I'll send them to you.

Thanks for your interest.

Tom