(Close Window)
Topic: Jumping knot of Pakistan...
Has anyone tried this routine? I've watched it on Daryl's video and really like it. I see he sells a set of ropes and printed routine. Any reviews would be welcomed. Thanks.
Bob
I have used it in conjunction with a red and white color changing silks routine and think that it is effective and plays well. I also think that the instruction on the video is better than the notes that come with the effect.
I studied the instructions before going to a Daryl lecture, a few years ago. I was then able to concentrate on the changes he made in the handling. I've been doing it for years now and it never fails to get a great response!

I also added an idea on the setup that allows me to pickup the knot when I pickup the white rope. I just loop part of the rope through the knot— it eliminates the fumbling.
Yes, I've used it in the past. It's a great routine.
Get Paul Daniels's routine and see a totally new idea to think about.
This effect is, I believe, one that is open to a number of different presentational possibilities.

Mike Close had an interesting one in one of the Workers books, but as I studied it, it seemed so specific to him.

Then I realized that I just needed to write my own script. Took a couple months to get it right, but I finally did.

It's a very strong trick.
I got a set of ropes from Daryl a few years ago. They were OK, but looked like they were knitted ropes.

I recall seeing sets of these ropes that were more like "normal" magician's rope-material.

Does anyone know if there are different versions for sale?
I'm not sure what "normal" is, but you could make them. Daryl's are cool in a scary way, because if people bother to look at the rope closely enough they'll see that the red thread is not a dyed part of the white rope but red rope that is knitted into the white. I've never really seen any layperson care that much, but it's such a fun routine to do, knowing I could show this just makes me happy.
I also like Daryl's set... except he teaches an alternate fake knot on one of his Fooler Dooler videos, and the knot looks much better than the version I had learned.

Anyway, his packaged ropes aren't long enough to do the alternate knot with! D'oh! Gotta get some new red rope...
The knot that I learned looks like an overhand knot when done correctly, I save it for the middle of the routine. I do a bow knot early in the routine, but my patter demands that type of knot.
I use Jumping Knot of Pakistan all the time when doing walk around. I've heard some say they won't because it's not an instant reset, but ducking out for the one second it takes to retie a bow knot isn't that big of a deal for me.

I've never really come up with exciting patter for this because the trick seems to work itself pretty nicely. I live near Detroit, so the red and white thing looks good for the RedWings and based on how inebriated my audience is I can start a cheer for the Red Wings; occasionally these cheers drone out the magic or if they just lost a Stanley Cup result in me gettin' a good beating. :birthday:
I think this is a wonderful routine! I picked it up at one of his lectures about a year ago. It's just an awesome routine that I use in almost all of my kidshows.
What exactly happens in the routine???
You have two ropes. One is white, the other is red. You tie a knot in the white rope and wrap that rope around the red one. When the ropes are pulled apart or "untwisted," the WHITE knot is now on the red rope and the white rope is clean. You can then slide this white knot entirely off of the red rope and magically toss it back on. The finale ends up being that the white knot is melted ONTO the red rope. So you're left with a rope with a little white piece in it. It's a nifty routine, in my opinion.
If anyone is interested in "popping" knots, Whit Haydn has an excellent routine "Mongolian Pop Knot". Check it out.
I really like Whit's routine. Not being a rope guy, this took a while to do but it is worth it.
His ropes are "knitted" because its hard to dye just a small section of rope without making the dye soak into the fibre of the rope and go where you don't want it to go.
The jumping knot is a fantastic routine and it plays for all audiences.

In his rope magic video Daryl says that you can make it yourself, but the process is a hassle. After watching that I thought about it and then decided to not even follow through. Then I went to one of his lectures and bought one from him; since that time I am hooked. The ropes are great and I believe that the ropes are machine washable.

As for reset, I never worry about anyone seeing me, I just tie the knot as I walk. I have even tied knots as I talked to people and they never seem to even notice, it's one of those magic principles that something so sinsister wouldn't be done right in front of their eyess.
I used it for about 10 years solid, getting a better & better reaction with each year. It's a great effect when presented properly!
I can't speak highly enough of the "Jumping Knot." It's both magical and comical.

Excellent for all occasions. Stand up, close up, walk around and street.

I also recommend Daryl's ropes. I have tried dying and found that I can't stop them from bleeding.

My opinion, Patrick
It's a great routine! I do it to music. It gets a great response.
I have the old (and I think it's the original, "The Fantstic Jumping Knot") trick from Pavel and I must agree, this is one of the best comercial rope trick on the market. It has been in my shows for 15 years now.
One good feature of this trick is it's theoretical when you twirl the two ropes together. It really draws the spectators eyes to the ropes to see what's going to happen.
I bought the Jumping Knot a few years ago and wasn't sure how it would play, but I gave it a try. It killed. I was surprised.
I never came up with a presentation I loved, so I eventually phased it out in favor another rope bit, but this post has inspired me to dig out the props and work on it again.
Wow, we've had a lot of interest on this since I first posted. I bought Daryl's JKoP set and after a lot of practice, I finally performed it, several times, Friday night while strolling. I was suprised at the excellent response it got. I will keep after it and try and devolop my patter for it. Thanks for all of your responses.
Bob
Aldo Columbini's Knotty Knot is very similar and great in the restaurants as it only uses one rope and no extra knots.
I've only been practicing with Aldo Columbini's Knotty Knot for a short while but getting the jest of it.

How much more difficult is the Jumping Knot to perform?
Curious to know what people are using for patter. I thought about music, but don't always have access to it so figured patter is more convenient.

re: patter... I just do what is required... almost explain what I am doing as I do it and then the magic happens. haven't been able to think of any funny patter and didn't want to distract from the magic too much.

thought about using rope gag/bits as I go. example
* say "kuh-not" when making knot
* 2 ropes same length, especially this one
* as rope is untangling, say, "here's the famous dancing ropes"
* rope w/ two ends and a middle which is near the center
* to us this is a rope, but to the jolly green giant... just a piece of dental floss
* ask to borrow a shoe lace... then say, "never mind, I'll use this one here I borrowed from the kid during the last show."

above ideas from David Ginn's "Kidbiz" for the most part.

anyone have patter ideas or tips to share?

J.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zambini (Aug 24, 2004 06:26AM)
Candini,
If you can do Knotty Knot, you can do Jumping Knot.

I've have great audience reactions each and every time I perform either of the two. Obliviously, I only perform one of them per show.

From sunny Florida,
...Simply Amazing
THE GREAT ZAMBINI
Thanks Zambini...since my last post, I have the Knotty Knot down...sometimes the single hand knot can be a bit tricky but the routine is strong when played right.
I think was Pavel who invented the first version of the "Travellin knot". Look for his version if you want compare the effects.

Darío
Pavel came up with idea years ago. I made a set up with red and yellow ropes (much more visible). I did if for years closeup to stage. It always played great.

Then I lost the fake knot and have yet to make a new set up.
Sometimes I'll set off my 'FISM Flash' (if I happen to be wearing one) at the same time I reveal that the white knot has become part of the red rope.

Regards,
Ray
I use Daryl's ropes, with Aldo's fake not tying sequence. I also changed Mike Close's patter and like other magician's created my own in a similar fashion.

It plays great for kids or adults, and is extreamly strong. Personally, I don't like the hunters bow knot used in the M.C. version because I've never got it to where it looked 100% natural.

MM

Are there any other sources of ropes to buy for this effect besides Daryl's? His ropes are all right, but I'm looking for something of much better quality, with a litte more length.

Anyone have any suggestions?

MM
[quote]
On 2004-12-07 09:30, Mr. Muggle wrote:
Are there any other sources of ropes to buy for this effect besides Daryl's? His ropes are all right, but I'm looking for something of much better quality, with a litte more length.

MM
[/quote]
I suppose you could get some quality red and white rope. Klamm's foam core rope may work well. Hank Morehouse, who can be contacted through Abbott's, carries the best rope I've ever used, and it may work if it comes in red.

The ends could be turned in on themselves and stitched. Then the appropriate ropes could be sewn together with white thread.
I'm not much for sewing, but I'll give it a shot--good idea. I tried to dye a rope, but didn't get good results. But it may have been the technician in charge.

I'll send Abbott's an email.

thanks-

MM
Save some time and scour eBay. Also, here in the Café this item frequently comes up.

If you add up the time it has taken you to come up with your own ropes, you have probably surpassed all costs, even at a third world salary. Not to knock the third world, just to make the point.

I really like the material that Daryl makes them out of. It is a soft rope and is machine washable.

oliver
True, but the rope is too short and not very thick. It's also just about flat, not really round like rope.

For now it's all that I have. I'll try Abbott's.

MM
[quote]
On 2004-12-11 05:01, Mr. Muggle wrote:
True, but the rope is too short and not very thick. It's also just about flat, not really round like rope.

For now it's all that I have. I'll try Abbott's.

MM
[/quote]
I pass my JK of P as shoelaces, although mine are round like rope, thick and quite long. Are we using the same prop? Have the manufacturing standards changed since I bought my last set a few years ago?
Actually I have a backup set of JKOP which I purchased about a year ago from our local magic shop. I wasn't pleased with the quality, compared with another set I purchased about 5+? years ago. It was much better in overall quality, durability, and thickness, not to mention the visual aspect of the plusher white knot on the red rope. As MM mentioned my inferior set was flat. I myself have wondered whether manufacturing standards have changed.
Perhaps the standards of the manufacturing have not, but the contracted rate for the distributer has.

I hate getting second, third, or fourth runs of products. It seems that the majority of the time they just aren't quite the same as the originals.

Of course, there are always exceptions to the 'rule'

MM
I'd keep on the lookout for it on eBay and maybe you can buy the older version which is made of a really thick, almost yarn-like material.

oliver
Maybe you may wish to make your own set of ropes like I did. You might recall as a child taking a wooden spool, placing 4-5 nails on top, and then knitting a long hollow core rope. I made a couple of sets in this manner. It's easy to blend/knit in the 2 colours of rope and the red part (for knot) becomes part of the white rope. Cheers....
[quote]
On 2004-12-07 09:30, Mr. Muggle wrote:

MM

Daryl has re-released this trick with instructional DVD as well as thicker and better quality ropes. Check it out from http://www.hocus-pocus.com or Daryl's own site http://www.foolerdoolers.com
The first set of ropes I got from Daryl was the magician's rope and they were good. the reason I like the knitted ones is they simply cannot be ripped apart because it's all one knit. if they're made out of the right stuff they have a good weight to them as well. I have a set for Christmas (red Green) a set for blue and gold banquets and white and green fir St patricks day. I do it in just about every show. including walk around.
enjoy!!
Joe Comet