(Close Window)
Topic: Cigarette through Coin
Coin through cigarette

I was going to post a thread asking for assistance "re-banding" my cigarette through quarter but I seem to have lost it, so I guess I'll be replacing it soon. I'd like to know which version of it I should look into. The one I had was VERY angle sensitive as the gimmick took up more than half the quarter, but could be displayed before and after the cig was penetrated/removed.

Are there some CTQ gimmicks that are better than others, or are they all pretty much the same?
Go with the Johnson coin. You will never have to replace a band because there isn't one. It's also almost seamless. To top it off, it's guaranteed for life. If it wears out, they'll send you a new one.
I agree to much hassle and not worth it. I love the Johnson one. And I have had almost all of them.
The only Johnson gaff coin I use is a Cig thru half. I would go that route.
I agree that the Johnson coin is the way to go (although it's getting harder and harder to do any cigerette effects these days).
The "Johnson Coin" Is money well spent!

:cheers:
Yea I agree, go for the Johnson.

Chrix
I stopped in for it, but they were sold out. doh! I'll head back or head into the city and pick it up at Tannens or Fantasma.
Is the Johnson one the single faced coin? If so, it's the one I've had and used for 16 years.

I recently got Belanger's version. I like it but went pack to the other gimmick.

On a side note, I highly reccomend Derren Brown's handling. Just brilliant. And if you can't find a smoker, a bic ben works just as nice.
I also enjoy Derrick Dingle's version. It takes all the heat off.
Johnson's is a single faced coin.
Mobius
Hmm The one I used to have was double-faced. and VERY well done, even under somewhat close inspection, you couldn't tell it was a gaff looking right at it held in an open palm and then flipped over. Both sides could be seen in their entirety and then the coin/pen pushed right through/visually. The only down side is that you had to watch the angles once the coin was penetrated.
Bloodkin, the bic pen is what I use, the round kind, it fits perfectly.
Just to reiterate the description of the Johnson coin, it uses a spring instead of a rubber band.

In my opinion David Williamson has one of the best handlings. His routine is similar to Michael Ammarís but the switch at the end is different. It is an absolutely beautiful handling for the pen or cig through the quarter. You can find the routine in Slight of Dave Two DVD.
[quote]
On 2006-07-11 18:29, Jaypoc wrote:
Hmm The one I used to have was double-faced. and VERY well done, even under somewhat close inspection, you couldn't tell it was a gaff looking right at it held in an open palm and then flipped over. Both sides could be seen in their entirety and then the coin/pen pushed right through/visually. The only down side is that you had to watch the angles once the coin was penetrated.
[/quote]

Those are the one's that use rubber bands. They look nice, but are just not practical over the long run. In my experience, the bands just don't hold up and they end up being a maintenance issue you add to your list. I'm with seemingly everyone else on this list..... Johnson is the way.
Yah, I had looked into the double faced version but was advised the same thing. They just don't hold up well.

BTW, Derren's version is in Pure Effect. It uses the Johnson version but is very bold and works like a charm. Highly reccomend it.
I still prefer the Paul Bellenger (SP) cig thru quarter the best.

Mike
The Belanger type coin is great!
Problem free and examinable from both sides.

I've used this idea with different coins and things like toothpicks, swizzle sticks and such.

I also have Johnson type which is more visual.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Jul 13, 2006 08:02PM)
If you have the Johnson version, you can do my effect from the June '05 issue of Genii - its a more practical idea than using a cigarette, politically correct, and great for table hopping.
[quote]
On 2006-07-13 21:02, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
If you have the Johnson version, you can do my effect from the June '05 issue of Genii - its a more practical idea than using a cigarette, politically correct, and great for table hopping.
[/quote]

I'll Second that!

Mike
I highly recommend the Johnson coin. The idea that you need a gaff that can be shown on both sides is illogical in the context of the routine. Consider that you 'borrow' a quarter from someone. By definition the coin is 'normal'. By the time you have penetrated the quarter and then undone the damage what the audience is left with can be looked at all they wish.

It is frequently a problem when balancing a routine that we try to prove 'too much'. Prove that something is TOO normal, etc. The entire strength of borrowing a prop is that it illiminates much of the 'proofing' that is needed for other routines. Best,
[quote]
On 2006-07-13 10:53, mike gallo wrote:
I still prefer the Paul Bellenger (SP) cig thru quarter the best.

Mike
[/quote]

I had never heard of it until your post. A little Google action.... and.... I like the idea of being able to show both sides, and obviously NOTHING to break. Thanks for the education.

Mike
I've used both the Johnson and the coin that can be shown on both sides, always went back to the Johnson coin in the end. Lots of good swithes availabe, from the most basic (On the Don Alan Video) to some the ones already talked about on this forum. Does anyone remember wher the rolled up dollar bill through quarter is published, I used to do that routing as well...forgot all about it.

- John
[quote]
On 2006-07-16 10:23, John McLaughlin wrote:
I've used both the Johnson and the coin that can be shown on both sides, always went back to the Johnson coin in the end. Lots of good swithes availabe, from the most basic (On the Don Alan Video) to some the ones already talked about on this forum. Does anyone remember wher the rolled up dollar bill through quarter is published, I used to do that routing as well...forgot all about it.

- John
[/quote]

John - I believe the routine with the rolled bill you are asking about is probably the one Michael Rubinstein is referring to in his post above - in the June 2005 issue of Genii.

Bill
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jul 16, 2006 07:48PM)
Is the bit where you pass a "table" through the coin in print?
[quote]
On 2006-07-16 20:48, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Is the bit where you pass a "table" through the coin in print?
[/quote]

Back in the mid to late 70's there was a table through coin routine published in the Linking Ring.

Mike
Hey, I did some searching but wasn't able to come up with any results on this topic with Canadian currency. Are there cigarette through Canadian coins? If there are multiple, which is "the best?" (yeah, loaded question, I know!) Any help on this would be great!

Andrew
Find karrell Fox's routine... is very funny and easy to do.
Andrew,

Roy Kueppers makes a "finger through toonie" gaff. Check out http://www.roykueppers.com
As the original question wasn't answered, I have the same question: how do you re-band the gimmick?
[quote]On Sep 10, 2019, PapaG wrote:
As the original question wasn't answered, I have the same question: how do you re-band the gimmick? [/quote]

Same way you'd re-band a flipper, as that's essentially what it is.
I have a Pencil I got from Michael Ammar and it has some kind of fuzzy stuff on the outside.

So when you put it through the Johnson Quarter it appears the be a much bigger hole.

Not sure if he sells them anymore but I got one.

Back when you could smoke in bars I did CTQ all the time when I was a magic bartender.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Sep 19, 2019 04:46PM)
You might want to check out my marked bill through quarter routine on Penguin 2 live lecture, and it appeared I believe in Genii.
I bought this wand recently http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S7201 because it is not only made to fit in a cig thru quarter set but it is a perfect size wand to fit in my TCC close up bag.
[quote]On Sep 19, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I bought this wand recently http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S7201 because it is not only made to fit in a cig thru quarter set but it is a perfect size wand to fit in my TCC close up bag. [/quote]

How does it look? And is it a Johnson make of CTC?
I have a walking liberty that Johnson made and don't use it.
I have Johnson, A Pressley Guitar cig thru quarter, unknown maker - (just a hole, show both sides) another unkown set uplike a flipper that fills hole when set, another unknown maker hole in center but a shell with the center piece that fits together at first and "refills hole" when replaced (more a shell coin, not a flipper. It fits them all.
Sorry for taking so long to reply Poof-Daddy. Thank you.