(Close Window)
Topic: Silk reel gimmick
Message: Posted by: Norrabmagic (Jul 9, 2006 12:54PM)
There is a kind of winder/reel that I have seen used recently. Lee eun goeyl and kenji minemura both use it in their acts. It is some sort of hand held device that quickly rolls up a silk into the performers hand. The effect is such that it appears the silk is getting sucked up into the hand. This is NOT a pull or locking reel type effect where the silk is pulled into a sleeve or similar, The gimmick rolls the silk up. If anyone knows the name of this gimmick or who makes it please let me know. thanks.
Message: Posted by: Norrabmagic (Jul 14, 2006 10:30AM)
Message: Posted by: RiserMagic (Jul 14, 2006 11:23AM)
Are they using a "silk to billiard ball"? This item does what you describe.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 14, 2006 01:15PM)
Having just viewed the video in the above posting, I do not see any reel used in is act. I think you are mistaken as to the method.
Message: Posted by: Norrabmagic (Jul 15, 2006 11:23AM)
Yes I believe silk to billiard ball uses a mechanism like this. Does anyone still make that effect. Also, wmhegbli, In kenji minemura's act you can see the winder used as the red silk gets "sucked" to the picture of the rose. In Lee eun goeyls act he uses the gimmick near the beginning, as a white silk is sucked into the hand he simultaneously produces a bird via invisible harn***. I know this is not a birdcage style pull or ringflight style pull becuase these pulls would not acheve the same effect. I spoke to both kenji and lee about it on separate occasions, but they seemed to have difficulty describing the gimmick in english. Kenji did say that it is readily available in japan.
Message: Posted by: Ron Reid (Jul 15, 2006 01:39PM)

I believe the item you're looking for is refered to as a "Wind-less". I've seen the model that looks like a billiard ball, so you can show it afterward. I believe others are more egg-shaped and meant to be like a pull.

I suggest you try http://www.ronallesimagic.com to look for one. Or maybe http://www.ktmagic.com

Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 15, 2006 11:26PM)
I guess the best way to find out, being you spoke to these performer is to contact them again and get a source. As many of the items from Japan do not make it to the USA.

UGM may be a good source to try. They never answered my email, but you could try going through Mark Stevens of Stevens Magic. They have a very close relationship with the owner of UGM and may get some results. You may have to give a more detailed discription to get what you are looking for.

Message: Posted by: cardcaptor (Jul 16, 2006 08:50AM)
This is also the question I want to ask here in the Café a while ago about that effect when a silk is like put in a reel, I like effect of the gimmick. hope I can know the name of the mechanism that is used.

Message: Posted by: Norrabmagic (Jul 17, 2006 12:44PM)
Thanks for the help everyone.
Message: Posted by: RiserMagic (Jul 17, 2006 01:36PM)
I have a silk to billiard ball gimmick in mint condition somewhere in with my magic items. If this turns out to be your last resort, I might be willing to part with it.
Message: Posted by: Pete Biro (Jul 18, 2006 01:42PM)
Look thru the Encyclopedia of Silk Magic books.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 18, 2006 02:35PM)
There was a automatic silk to BB made by Viking, but as most of these winding devices they can only use a 12" silk. I just checked Viking site, they no longer have it on their web site. Emil Viking and see if they can still provide.

You could email Owen Magic, they use to make a automatic silk to BB. Another dealer to ask is Stevens Magic.