(Close Window)
Topic: Fillman principle
Can anyone pm me on what this is. I found a reference to it in one of Richard Webster's books.

Thank you
Have pm'd you.

I met Bob Fillman during the late 1970's, while he lived in Australia.

Cheers,

Richard
For some great effects using the principle, check out Chazpro's Telepathy cards.

http://www.chazpro.com/Product_Line/Product_Line14.html#Telepathy

This is for me on eof the really great principles of magic, and Telepthy cards puts it to really good use.
I've come across this a couple of times too and not being able to find anything about it didn't really care about it anymore, so could I trouble Richard Paddon (or anyone else for that matter) to PM me about this? I don't need an explanation of the principle per se, but providing a reference to where I can find it would be great help (and without having to buy a whole new trick!). Thanks!
To put it simply, and without giving anything too much away (I hope), it is a principle that means you can tell which way up a piece of card is without having to see it. ie, it could be in an envelope.

If the moderators feel this is exposure of any kind - then please delete/remove as required...
This has been completely explained (without the moderators deleting exposures) in another thread.

Search "Menta Maze" and you'll find everything.
Ah thanks for pointing me the way...

EDIT: I did a search and realised it's probably in the Inner Thoughts forum which I can't access yet. But thanks anyway for the replies. :)
Hi Maddened,

Have pm'd you. Hope it helps.

Richard
[quote]
On 2006-07-20 04:31, Richard Paddon wrote:
Hi Maddened,

Have pm'd you. Hope it helps.

Richard
[/quote]

Thank you! I have to admit this is a wonderful principle. Kudos to Fillman for giving us something precious like this. Shame that it's not as widely used as it should be. Thanks again!
Where I can find the roots of this principle? Thanks!
Try to find and buy the above mentioned Telepathy Cards...or search for an effect with 5 colored cards in 5 envelopes. They're about $3 a set (probably $10 by now). Performing it will teach you all about it with the minimum outlay of cash...

..or did you mean the origins? That would be Mr. Fillman.
13 Steps
I do believe that in Osterlinds 13 steps DVD set that he tells you how to make your own.
Just like the book!
Yeah, only if I remember correctly, in the book they talk about making some weird concoction that you have to apply to the paper. Osterlind tells you how to just use plain poster board and nothing else. I could be wrong, but I swear I was just looking at that chapter in 13 steps just a few weeks ago, and Osterlind's method wasn't metioned.
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Jan 5, 2011 02:00AM)
[quote]
On 2011-01-04 21:30, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Try to find and buy the above mentioned Telepathy Cards...or search for an effect with 5 colored cards in 5 envelopes. They're about $3 a set (probably $10 by now). Performing it will teach you all about it with the minimum outlay of cash...

[/quote]

Think those were called "Thought Blots" The new ESP and Psychic Reading Cards circa 1980 at lest that's what the instructions say. I have the Instructions never seen the cards. ;)What's a feller to do!
Have had this effect since the 1970s and it slays people. Works nicely with a pendulum and other distracting artefacts.

Check out 357 from Alakazam....
The first time that I saw this principal in print was in a book written by Ed Mellon.
Does anybody know (or have an idea) about the use of the Fillman principle with other objects then cards.
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 05:24, oliver_wolf wrote:
Does anybody know (or have an idea) about the use of the Fillman principle with other objects then cards.
[/quote]

The principle is based on a unique property of the cards themselves so I'm having trouble making sense of your question.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Hello Bob,

I have read some of your work and feel very honoured that you answered me!

The original principle was indeed based on a special property that only
paper has. I am looking for something that has the same handling or a similar
method as the menta color or tell-a-color cards from a performance point of view.

After some thoughts I found something: Poker chips!
I am already working on a close-up routine with them. They do not look as
suspicious as cards but something more casual would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Oliver
Now I understand, Oliver. It appears that you are really looking for are effects involving touch reading or hidden markings. Effects like Al Koran's classic "Note Under Cup" come to mind.

Bur I generally use the Fillman principle with blank cards. (Living and Dead type effects, etc.) While I agree that colored or specially printed cards can seem suspicious in some circumstances, I don't see how that would apply to blank cardboard cards that the spectators write on. Of course, if you take this approach it's probably necessary that you cut your own cards.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Great help! Thank you.

(I have to read the classics ...)
[quote]
On 2006-07-18 04:47, Bananafish wrote:
For some great effects using the principle, check out Chazpro's Telepathy cards.

http://www.chazpro.com/Product_Line/Product_Line14.html#Telepathy

This is for me on eof the really great principles of magic, and Telepthy cards puts it to really good use.

[/quote]

I'm getting a 404 error on this link

Mike
Yes, that is a 5 year old link. Now you will have to search the auction site.

s
Posterboard is all you need.
357 by Tom Lauten, is a very nice routine using this principle.
The .357 DVD actually demonstrates in a visual way how to make your own cards.
[quote]
On 2011-05-27 17:46, Nicolino wrote:
The .357 DVD actually demonstrates in a visual way how to make your own cards.
[/quote]

I don't remember that.

I will have a look at the DVD tonight.
It's not hard. Just go to a stationary shop and get cutting. 357 is great though!
It's not hard. Just go to a stationary shop and get cutting. 357 is great though!
To my understanding Clark "The Senator" Crandall, originated and created Ment-A-Maze.
If any one wants to pm me about where I can find Fillman principle please do...

Thanks
First mentioning of the 'bias-cut principle' was to my knowledge 1938 in Sphinx.
Later appearance was in 1971's MAGICK #34), p.167 and in 1972's issue #41, p.202
The best card stock to use is heavy Bristol board. (100 lb or higher) It has a much better defined grain than generic poster board.
In the Magick that I read it does not say Fillman... Maybe I missed it... I will read it again.
But in this same write up there is a living dead trick.
Thanks for the ref info.

So this post inspired me to work out "The Senator's" presentation.
And I have to say I was very pleased with the reaction this little trick received by the audience.

Best of luck
Chuck
If anyone cares to know this is what I found...

After a re-read Magick #34 p.167(1971) Tan Hock Chaun is the one who wrote this up.
However in the first Sentence
"Great minds in music, medicine, chemistry, and literature over the years and Independently have chanced upon ideas of striking similarities."
It goes on to say;
"The subtle principle which makes possible the seemingly inexplicable quick and dead affect contributed to Magick by Singapore's Tan Hock Chaun, was discovered first by Tan and published in the Sphinx in 1938."

NEXT
1972's issue #41, p.202
In this write up it mentions this principle is used in Crandall's "Ment-A-Maze"
And my Supreme magic's "Ultimate living and dead test"
In the last paragraph of this article...
"The peculiarities Of the bias cut long have been known to printers. most magicians know it as the Fillman principle since it was independently hit upon and popularized by Bob Fillman then Of San Antonio and now of Australia"

Best of luck
Chuck