(Close Window)
Topic: Professor's Nightmare Version Source
Hi all,
I saw a very good gimmicked version of the Professor's Nightmare, and would like to know a source for it.
It started with the three different lengths of rope, then the usual move to display three equal length ropes. However, it ended with throwing the rope down to reveal one single piece of rope.
It was very visual !

Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards,
Warren
It's called "Magician's Dream."

Do a search on your favourite online store.
Thanks, Wayne.

I saw Elgrego perform it in CHCH last week at a shopping mall. I wasn't able to introduce myself and ask him directly.
He sold me my first TT when had the magic shop in CHCH.

Catch you later.
I purchased this effect at Stevens Magic Emporium years ago. I still use it in my show today!

-Bryan Gilles
[quote]
On 2006-07-12 01:59, WayneNZ wrote:

Do a search on your favourite online store.
[/quote]

WayneNZ, when I searched on "Magician's Dream," I only found a coin effect by Magiro. Any chance you remember who originated this Prof. Nightmare effect?

-Phil in KC
When I get home from work, I'll find mine and get a contact for you...

-Bryan Gilles
Thanks, Brian! I love the cooperation and support here in the Café -- but in truth, I see the same cooperation and support within the magic community at large. We are a great bunch!

-Phil in KC

P.S. I didn't say a great bunch of what, now did I???
I'm interested in the answer to this. I know some routines where it appears that the ropes are all restored, but I've not heard, nor seen, one where you end up with the ropes actually restored.
Steve V
[quote]
On 2006-07-23 02:57, Steve V wrote:
I'm interested in the answer to this. I know some routines where it appears that the ropes are all restored, but I've not heard, nor seen, one where you end up with the ropes actually restored.
Steve V
[/quote]

There is not such a thing as real magic!!
[quote]
On 2006-07-12 01:59, WayneNZ wrote:
[/quote]

Close....It's called [url=http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=3416&cat=0&page=8]Professor's Dream[/url] ....
The appearance of being restored is called Professor's Day Dream (Get it? Prof. Nightmare? Eh?). I think we have a case of a routine done so well, there is a perception of it being a restoration.
Steve V
Thanks for that link, Joseph! That is the same on I own. :)

-Bryan Gilles
This sounds pretty good. I found a couple of other references on the Café, and a web search showed a Japanese version and one from Chazpro. There was a video link for the Japanese version, but when I tried to view it, the server was "busy". Definitely worth further research!

-Phil in KC
Okay, saw the link, and that is a version of the manual Professor's Day Dream. They just changed the name a bit. Go to Whit Haydn's site and look at his handling of the Mongolian Pop Knot, and see you don't need a gimmicked rope to sell the routine.
Steve V
Thanks for all your help.
Warren
You don't need a gimmick to do this. Whit's routine is one of the best, and Ken Brooke sold a version (the name of which escapes me). I was going to market an updated version of the Ken Brooke one, but haven't gotten around to it. Charlie Miller also had a handling to do the same.

My version starts out with one long rope, cut into 3 equal pieces, but a screw up and they are all different lengths... you then fix that, and then decide to start over and you have one long piece.
Pete - are you talking about a gimmickless version, where you really end up with one long rope (give or take a few cut-off pieces), or one where you only appear to display one long rope?
Check out the Slydini Routine. You start with one rope and work into Professor's Nightmare.
It's awesome!
Where can I find out more about the Slydini routine?

John
Rjenkins....impossible to really have one piece after you cut into three...but IT APPEARS to be one long piece.
Pete - thanks.
I agree, you can't REALLY cut it into three and REALLY restore it to one (ungimmicked) piece, but the deception could be in either of those REALLYs.
John,
I'll check my library tonight and give you the book source. I've been doing it for 20 years and always have an awesome response.
Ken
I'll second that Whit Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot is excellent. The motivations for moving from one phase to another are strong.
I picked up a gimmicked version of the Professor's Nightmare from Bob Little at a magic convention. It was called the Professor's Dream.
I have Professor's Dream and like it. The only problem is that you cannot do a full Professor's Nightmare routine, and great care must be used when showing the ropes. Overall, it's a good effect, but you are probably better off with Whit's Mongolian Pop Knot.
More thought makes me believe this is a version of Hen Fetch's "Quadroplets", where four pieces of rope melt into a single length. Not examinable, though.
Pete,

Has everyone forgotten Pat Conway?

Best, PSC
Ken Brooke sold the Pat Conway ending of the professor's nightmare.
It's a nice ending to the trick.I still use it in my prof routine.
Richard.
Richard,

Is this still a marketed effect?

Regan
No, I've never seen it since Ken Brook went out of business.
It's just the best way to end the Professor's Nightmare.
Richard.
Thanks Richard.
Good morning Regan.
You will receive a P/M on the Conway rope.
Richard.
Good Morning Richard. I got your PM. Thanks!

Regan
The link doesn't seem to be working for the Professor's Dream. Anyone have another one?

Haas
Another variation of the Professor's Nightmare is a rope routine developed by Akanuma from Japan.
The name is "A Dream Come True."
You show at the end all 3 ropes are truly equal with no covering of the ropes!

Sincerely,
Kelvin Chun
Japanmagic
Welcome to the magic Café.
Al Angello