(Close Window)
Topic: Cigarette Magic
I am wondering how many magicians still perform cigarette magic. Although I don't smoke, I find it is never hard to find someone who does...and a lot of my friends smoke. (I also have a wooden feke cigarette I carry around sometimes) Here in England, smoking isn't viewed as so politically incorrect as it is in America, I believe.

I enjoy performing vanishes and mini-routines with people's smokes.

Is this area of magic dying out? I get some really good reactions from it, and once badly fooled a magician in a pub with some simple moves. (there is a lack of resources on cigarette magic...so it is not very exposed)

I believe it is perfect for impromptu work.

Does anyone else perform cigarette magic 'at a moment's notice'?

Eva
Absolutely! I still do impromptu cigarette magic and as long as there are cigarettes around I will.

It's a good idea to be able to do impromptu or apparent impromptu magic with a lot of different and common things that can be borrowed or found in your evironment.
Vanishing a lit cig via TT has always gotten some of my strongest reactions.

I'm in the process of learning bad habit which uses a quarter and a cigarette box.
Besides vanishing and reproducing the cigarette, are there any other effects that can be done with it?
The only other one I know of is Torn & Restored Cigarette, which isn't exactly impromptu
Being a rather rabid non-smoker myself (allergies will do that to a person), I do both the Slydini T&R cig and the Bertram psychological T&R versions, the push-in vanish, as well as a couple of others and the classic TT, of course, but almost never do that one, simply because it seems that the whole world knows it.

Cig Thru Quarter still kills, too, folks. Even unlit.

And some of the old "breath" moves can still fool people, if done carefully.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Does anyone know of any dvds out there that teach cigarette magic...besides Stone's out smoking??
Expert Cigarette Magic by Tom Mullica.

Also there is a great T&R Cigarette wrapper that I was taught as a bar bet many years ago.

You break the seal on the bottom of a pack of cigarettes and then magically restore it. No extra pieces or sleight of hand.

If I can make it to 50 posts and I can describe it in the Secret Sessions or PM me for details.

Kevin
Tom Mullica's tapes are incredible. I do a variation of his Nicotine Nincompoop routine whereby I 'eat' six cigarettes. It gets a fantastic response everytime I perform it. He aslo shows a very clever vanish without a TT, so that you can have it reappear in your mouth.
Tom Mullica's stuff is awesome.
I don't think cigarette magic is fading. I love it and I will never stop performing it.

-Matt

p.s. and I love smoking ;)
There's a vid of Criss Angel doing some cigarette magic on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0keGHHtum8&search=CIGARETTE%20MAGIC%20ANGEL
That's straight off of Mullica's tapes. But still good.
Does anybody know any substitutes for cigarettes that are normal everyday items? I've been interested in cigarette magic, but I am underage and don't know what I would practice on, and I don't really want to include cigarettes, because I perform many of my tricks at school.
Batty..........try short pencils.

Eva
Batty:

I use crayons.

Tony
[quote]
On 2006-07-21 14:01, Eva wrote:
Batty..........try short pencils.

Eva
[/quote]
Yeah, those golf pencils are just about the right size and feel. As I'm not underage, I roll my own cigs. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying Luckys. I can go through loads of them practicing.
Ok. Thanks. I have Now You See it Now you Don't and it had some cigarette magic and sleights that I've been wanting to try out.
Candy sticks?
Mini Sharpie Markers?

I've even done some basic cig moves with BIC lighters and glue sticks.

Enjoy
[quote]
On 2006-07-21 18:30, Batty wrote:
I have Now You See it Now you Don't and it had some cigarette magic and sleights that I've been wanting to try out.
[/quote]

Bill Tarr's book was my first sleight of hand book, and is excellent! Have fun with it!

Jaz, I sometimes do some effects with lighters too. The ones with little designs or logos on one side are especially fun. I borrowed a lighter from a biker once that had a metal skull engraved on one side. Had lots of fun with that one.
Is it me, or is it practically impossible to find those Mullica DVDs? I can't seem to find a dealer that sells all three volumes...
Tom sells them on his website, though I'm not sure if he has the dvd yet.

http://www.skeltontribute.com/webdoc5.htm
Outsmokin' by Jaxon...great illusion, gets great laughs too.

As a non-smoker, I present it to smokers as "hey, have you seen these new cigarettes that can help you quit smoking?"

I then proceed. No one has yet figured out how the filter moves right in front of their eyes. :)
Many of you know my trick Outsmokin but I've never put a video of me performing my entire cigarette routine on line so you'd only have seen me do the entire routine if you saw me in person. I'm telling you this so I can share this story.

About 4 or 5 years ago I performed the entire act in a close up contest. I took first place and later someone handed me a piece of paper and said one of the judges wanted him to give it to me. Sometimes the judges will write advice or suggestions to the performers in these contests. The note read:

“Clever. I really enjoyed the cigarette routine. Very Entertaining. Things to improve: I really can't think of anything. Overall I would have paid money to see that routine! (That is my highest compliment)”

I think that kind of illustrates that magic with cigarettes can still be entertaining even though most people look down on smoking. In my case I think the reason I don't get many "I hate smokers" comments is because this act is done with cigarettes yet it's kind of an anti-smoking routine.

I am a smoker myself (I want to quit but easier said then done). When I'm in a place where there are smokers around. Especially in bars. Cigarette magic can be very strong. People know that cigarettes are kind of fragile objects. Then there's the fact that if you use a lit cigarette it's hard for them to imagine how you can hide it (up sleeve for example) without getting burned. I think the smoke rolling out of it can also add some visuals to the effects.

Even though smoking is becoming much less popular (for good reasons) people will always know what they are so they'll always be common everyday objects.

I'll also recommend Tom Mullica's cigarette magic videos. You can also pick up the Encyclopedia of cigarettes magic. The information in there is very out of date (was written back when everyone smoked filterless Camel and Pall Mall's) but many of the moves and trick can still be performed with today's cigarette.

Ron Jaxon
I do the Bic pen through the quarter.
Al
I have never smoked. However, I carry a wooden cigarette pull in every jacket I own. Smoking is still allowed nearly everyhwere in Vegas. I always make cigarettes disapear. It's fun, entertaining and healthy.
There is a video of Tom Mullica's FISM act on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgRWvKYB8W4&search=FISM
See, in NYC there's no smoking in bars or clubs, so when I do a cig act I think it goes over better because the room isn't filled with smoke already. My cigarettes are the only ones out. It stands out even more. And I get so many questions after the show. One guy approached me after a show and says, "I don't know if this is true, but I heard an urban legend that if you eat a cigarette you'll die. I guess it's not true." To which I responded, "I hate to break it to you but were all going to die." He says, "No, I meant immediately." I say, "Well, I finished the show, didn't I?" He just looked really perplexed.
Jaxon, I'd love to see your routine.
Just to show you how popular cigarettes still are (I'm not saying they should be). Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMtLbCu1Qk

Sorry. I just couldn't resist.

Ron Jaxon
Hehe that's really stupit.

Here in Holland cigarettemagic is a bit limited, in the sence that not allways in performance cigarettes are appreciated. I am now practicing a great David Stone routine. I don't smoke myself, but the great think about the david stone routine is that you never have to light the cigarette.
I am new to magic. say about 4 months... about two years back I was on a patio having a couple "pops" This guy beside me take a cigarette and rolls it up in a bill. He then ties the bill in a knot and unties it and the cigarette is whole again. Anyone know the name of this trick?
If anyone is interested I got my hands on all three of those Mullica vhs tapes and am selling them in the Let's make a deal section of the Café.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=172673&forum=77&0
I found it interesting for Mullica to mention in the tapes that as unpopular cigarettes becomes, his magic with cigarettes become more and more popular. Especially since many are most impressed with any kind of vanish or manipulation with something that is lit.
My question to all you cigarette workers is: How do you practice tonguing?
Very Carefully...
But seriously, since I roll my own I put 2 papers on a cigarette because the saliva will tear up the paper. The second paper serves to reinforce the cig. Obviously, start with an unlit cig till you are comfortable with the motion. Once you are ready for a lit one, smoke it down about half way. It's smaller and easier to deal with in your mouth. As your confidence increases, don't smoke it down as much. But remember, you WILL burn the inside of your mouth and you will go through a lot of cigarettes. It takes A LOT of practice.
I've been practicing the Lorrayne Vanish. It's a tough one. Luckily it doesn't involve the mouth.
I am currently working on Mullica's napkin and cigarette eating routine as well.
thanks for the tip regarding the two papers. I will try it out and hopefully it will diminish the pain :P
about the practicing , well , practice everything at first with unlit cigarettes. not only for this routine. practice everything well and after you have the movements down then use litten cigarettes and try not to think about that detail.
you may get little burned (happens ) but everything will come natural .
good luck !

-Matt
[quote]I don't really want to include cigarettes, because I perform many of my tricks at school.
[/quote]

Isn't there a smoking area just off your school property where the students smoke?

Practice with crayons, or wooden dowels cut to size.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
[quote]My question to all you cigarette workers is: How do you practice tonguing?
[/quote]

The only way to practice is by doing. When I first started tounging, I would practice every time I went out for a cigarette.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
[quote]
On 2006-07-19 12:10, raphlo2 wrote:
Does anyone know of any dvds out there that teach cigarette magic...besides Stone's out smoking??
[/quote]

Really nothing. Last time I was in contact with Michael Maxwell about these, he had no plans for putting the Mullica Cig volumes out on DVD. You an get a good deal on the used VHSes though.

John Rogers' Smok'N'Candies has a couple sleights that work well with cigarettes. But nothing you probably haven't already come up with on your own.

Cellini's Art of Street Performing (Vol 2 I beleive) has a simple cig routine in it with a couple decent sleights.

As I Recall (Slydini tribute) has a couple cig routines in it.

But all these really aren't worth it if you're just looking for cigarette material. There's a bunch of cigarette effects in the old dover books. But for the most complete resource, pick up Keith Clark's Encyclopedia of Cigarette Tricks. It's a hard read, but well worth it.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
In Mullica's cigarette magic tapes there's a card effect where a spectator chooses a card, brings it back into the deck. Another spectator names a number and Mullica reveals it by counting that number of cards off the deck. Does anyone know the name of that card trick?
[quote]
On 2006-08-17 02:16, raphlo2 wrote:
In Mullica's cigarette magic tapes there's a card effect where a spectator chooses a card, brings it back into the deck. Another spectator names a number and Mullica reveals it by counting that number of cards off the deck. Does anyone know the name of that card trick?
[/quote]

I think its called Card is Cigarette. or Cigarette is Card. In the end their signed card ends up being in his mouth as a cigarette. I think...
It's actually not. It'a a Mullica effect which involves card counting. Once you master this little gem, it fries. Someone from the Café was kind enough to PM me the method and I've been having a blast with it ever since.
I think years ago Rocco came up with the idea of sleeving a burning cigarette. IT WORKS!!!! Just don't leave it in there for too long. A way of being able to reproduce it again...

(Don't try that one when your drunk...) :mad:
Yes it was rocco actually.
to solve the burning part , he used alluminium foil inside his sleeves to prevent the cigarette from burning his coat.
Mullica uses the same thing but for his pockets when he does the cigarette to pocket routine.

"The only way to practice is by doing. When I first started tounging, I would practice every time I went out for a cigarette.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson "
I have to disagree with this. I wouldn't recommend starting with lit cigarettes.
the truth is that you will get burned when practicing and performing. but why get burned even more often while practicing the basics of tounging?
my advice is to start with unlit cigarettes and after you feel comfortable then move on to lit ones.

-Matt