(Close Window)
Topic: Karate Coin
Does anyone know where I can find the original Karate Coins. The one that just has a hole punched in the center, like Curtis Kam uses in his routine?
I think todd lassen sells them. I got a toolmaker to make me one, took five minutes and cost me a fiver.
I've looked into having someone make them, when I was trying to customize a Stack of Halves gaff, but the holes always destroyed the coins. I'll look into Lassen.
You can get one from Hank Lee:

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=2370&cat=0&page=1
Based on the picture, that's the Flare coin. I'm wanting to learn Curtis Kam's routine and those coins won't work. Thanks though.
The Magician's Coin has what you seem to want.

http://www.themagicianscoin.com/pages/2/index.htm
I'd highly suggest giving Todd Lassen a call.....
That seems to be the next step in this process.
Don't mean to get in the way of any of the craftsman mentioned, and perhaps that might be the easiest way to get one, but I actually made mine myself, with a drill-press. Got it right the first time too. :)
I'm trying to get that done right now. Just waiting on a guy to get back in town.
Todd Lassen isn't the easiest guy to get ahold of. I've been trying to get him to return an email for two weeks now.
Rick
Todd is a very hard working guy. He has orders coming out of his ears. Be patient with him, his stuff is worth it.

The finger gimlet? I made one. The advantage is that you can have the coin fit your finger perfectly. Curtis Kam does describe exactly where the coin should sit on the first finger in his "Through and Through" routine on Palms III, and everyone's fingers are different. I talked with him prior to making it about the way to go about it. Also, there may be a subtle value in having the hole just slightly off center.

The drill bit I used to make the finger gimlet was cone shaped, sort of like a Christmas Tree, and approximately 3 inches in length. it was attached to a handheld drill, and I used a simple C-clamp to fix the coin to a block of wood. Pick your spot carefully. Wear eye protection. Drill to where you think it might be a close fit, check the sizing with your finger, and drill further (widening the hole) if you need.

If you do this yourself, one side of the coin will be better (smoother, etc) than the other. If that's a problem, a small file can be used to trim the edges. Otherwise simply use the "good side" as the side that faces the audience.

It is possible...
As a clarification, the ideal "zone" for the finger gimlet to sit on the finger in Curtis's routine is between the near part of the fingernail and the first knuckle (first from the tip of the finger).
Thanks for that. I'm going to look into making one myself.
The ideal size is about a 5/8" diameter hole in the center of the coin......FYI
Curtis Kam's routine is great for the kind with a simple hole. I would suggest that you go to a jeweler and try on ring sizing gages until you find one that fits pretty tight where you want it too. Then send this info to your favorite coin guy Jamie Schoolcraft, Todd Lassen or myself.

I also like the regular jagged type of karate coin. The one from Hank Lee or Murphy's is the one I make and it looks great to me. I make them in custom sizes as well, and my Karate Quarter is primo. If you want something special feel free to e-mail me.
[quote]
On 2006-09-18 19:35, eddieproton wrote:
Curtis Kam's routine is great for the kind with a simple hole. I would suggest that you go to a jeweler and try on ring sizing gages until you find one that fits pretty tight where you want it too. Then send this info to your favorite coin guy Jamie Schoolcraft, Todd Lassen or myself.

I also like the regular jagged type of karate coin. The one from Hank Lee or Murphy's is the one I make and it looks great to me. I make them in custom sizes as well, and my Karate Quarter is primo. If you want something special feel free to e-mail me.
[/quote]

I have seen Ed's work and it is phenominal. I would highly recommend his work.
Eddieproton: Isn't Justin Miller stocking some of your coins now?
Justin Miller has some at his lectures (which I recommentd highly), and is getting some to Garrett Thomas who I hope will start using them as well.

I stand behind my stuff if you don't like it and you get it from me I will make you happy or give you your money back. I do this for fun, and it no fun selling somebody something that will sit in a drawer.

When you see Justin ask him to demo "Total Rip" it is a torn coin effect and I absolutely love it and it is $10.00 retail for a gimmick that you will use for a lifetime.

Eddieproton
Do you happen to have a website Eddie?????
No, I mainly sell through Murphy's, Hank Lee etc. I also do some custom work, just e-mail me with what you need, and I'll let you know if I can do it or not. I have a full time job as a metallurgist and a part time job as a jeweler. I have made some pretty neat stuff, however I will not encroach on someone elses intilectual property or registered effect. If it is an original gimmick (your idea)or you need or something in the public domain I can probablly do it.

Ed Ripley
Edripley@comcast.net
eddieproton
I would listen to Eric closely when he gives recommendation regarding the "Karate Coin" his version of this effect is IMHO the most visual and sunning version out there! Simply Incredible!
[quote]
On 2006-09-20 11:32, Darrell Trammell wrote:
I would listen to Eric closely when he gives recommendation regarding the "Karate Coin" his version of this effect is IMHO the most visual and sunning version out there! Simply Incredible!
[/quote]

I'm blushing.....lol

Thanx for the kind words
DT, I second that emotion...:D Godhandz, The E-Man here is the best that ever did and got away with it! :) -MB