(Close Window)
Topic: help 4 two large kid shows please
Hello,
I have 2 large shows coming up soon with appox 120 kids in each show. wonderfull oportunity yes. My problem is how could I tie the show together? By that I mean can anyone suggest a good running gag or bit of buisness that i could use for continuity? Also I would like to use a large illusion for this show but everyone i'm looking at is so expensive (flying carpet, chair suspention) Can anyone suggest a illusion that shows realy big, works for kids, uses only the volunteer and the magician (no assistants) and something I can do on a budget? I realize this doesn't leave much but currently the largest effect I have is a head chest and I'd like something larger for these shows.

About the running gag I've used the colour changing wand and it seems to work fine and gets big reactions from the kids - when I use the red wand everything seems to go wrong. Then I change it to black and then the trick works. It's easy to change the wand back to red (preparing for the next time you use it) if you put it in your back trousers pocket.
After a while, the kids get the idea and they yell that the wand is red (but I realise that too late). I hope to have been clear !?
Have you thought of buying the blue prints and building you own Illusions? Of course having no assistant limits you.
:sawingchick:
Hi,
I really do not think you need big illusions
for a small group like 120. I do not perform any illusions (I used to use a flying carpet)
and I often work for 500+
Phillip
I agree with Phillip. No need for big bulky illusions. I have a great 7 minute routine with a single round balloon. It is big enough to be seen from all angles and all rows.
Sometimes I do the balloon routine after my first or second trick and then as a running gag each time I go to my box to get another trick I (unbeknowingly) pull out a balloon and all the kids remind me that I have already done that one.
Something like that can be done with any prop you perform at the beggining of your show. I have also done it with a vernet ball after the multiplying vernet balls.
Good luck.
Madmanmike,
For a running gag, I did a Showtime column in the Linking Ring of October, 1997, called the Laughmeter.
The basic premise is the use of a set of the bounce/no-bounce balls.
It could be changed for what you want it for:
Every time a trick works, you test the applause with the bounce ball.
Then a trick (purposely) flops and you test the applause using the no-bounce ball!

The lota bowl works well as a running gag; have a doll or puppet sitting on top of it. Kids go crazy over this.

The coloring book: Using the "magic words", the book -- over the course of the show -- goes from blank, to black and white, to color. With the kids doing the appropriate "magic work", of course.

For illusions, you might see if you can get a copy of Grant's Victory Carton Illusions. They are certainly inexpensive (all done with cardboard boxes or sheets of cardboard) and many use no assistant.
I only use illusions in my act if the patron is willing to pay me enough. Usually I do my regular routine using parlor size tricks.

What's more important is using a PA system so the audience will hear you clearly.

P.S. I hope I wasn't late in giving you the advice.

Merry Christmas :xmastree: