(Close Window)
Topic: Haunted Candelabra
Hi all,
I am currently working on a haunted candlebra utility prop. It has self lighting candles, and self extinguishing candles, makes spooky sounds,{built in theramin} and works by way of a pk magnet, and is fully examinable, and uses no chemicals. I was wondering how many people would be interested in such an item before I go into prototypeing. Thanks for any input, or any suggestions would be helpful. Egregor
YES!!! but by the sounds, ill never be able to afford it....then again, I could sell a few old souls I have laying around....

sounds good..too good...all the best!! get to work :) good to meet you...

Baba
Well Egregor, I'm sure many people will be [i]'interested'[/i] but how many would be prepared to part with their hard earned money would depend on how much you plan on cahrging them for it!

Keith Hart
The bizarre market is very niche, and if the prop is well made, looks good, works well, and is under a couple hundred dollars, you will probably sell 20 or so right away, then slower over coming months/years.
Skeptically interested...Price is always a factor. If it can do what you claim, then definately interested.
Good luck,
Gayd
It sounds good -- if you can keep the price down to something reasonable.
How about after the prototype is finished, I let all you guys agree on the price. I don't expect to sell very many, and I don't expect to get rich from it. It's all about the magic, and it's all about providing the people that provided me with so much inspiration a nice usable prop that adds an air of mysticism to their work. None of you know me, but I know of all of you and your work very well. I've been a very good listener, and learned volumes of information from your past posts, and from the other masters of this genre. For some of you it might not even cost money, I would entertain trades. The future is full of posibilities. The universe takes care of my needs, everything else is just icing on the cake.
Fair enough, Egregor.
[quote]
On 2006-07-24 09:39, egregor wrote:
.... None of you know me, but I know of all of you and your work very well. I've been a very good listener, and learned volumes of information from your past posts, and from the other masters of this genre. For some of you it might not even cost money, I would entertain trades.
[/quote]

Ah, Nal, He was talking about ME.

:)
I would LOVE one.....

Put me down on the list.
Trades... like you mean, a soul? I got a few I've collected....

Sounds like a great item.... I too am interested :)
Sounds good, count me in !
Baba, I was offering to trade YOU. ;)
Sounds very interesting.
I'm interested. This would come in very handy at Halloween time. But as stated, it all depends on pricing. Can you post a vid of one of these bad boys in action? That would be awesome. That way we can see what we may potentially buy. Thanks alot.

:cheers:

Phil
[quote]
On 2006-07-24 17:23, Bill Ligon wrote:
Baba, I was offering to trade YOU. ;)
[/quote]

SORRY, I belong to MYSTICIAN--gotta ask him--although hes been neglecting me lately, and thus he may sell me cheap... :(

geez, I always tell ALL my biz .....

but again this sounds good....cant wait to see it...(see, I know how to hijack threads and STILL maintain the topic, UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE...ehem..)
If you happen to come across a way to make a really light weight "Candelabra"...I'd like one with zombie gimmick attachment.
A zombie effect too? Anybody want me to include a coffee maker.HAHAHA I crack me up.Zombie effect is possible but not with the Theramin in it.
What happened to my last message? I replied to Gede Nibo, said words like "dang" (!!!!!!!), READ MY OWN MESSAGE, SO I KNOW IT WAS HERE. Now, a short time later it has vanished. I said something about Mystician, but it was in OBVIOUS jest and in no way an insult. This kind of censorship is unacceptable, and there was not even a PM to explain why the message was removed.

My words were, as best as I can remember, "Oooo! That Mystician! Dang!" Is "dang" now on the "naughty word list?" Jeez!
...And the Sky was Opened.... love that episode! Hail Richard Matheson!
The idea of a self lighting candlabra is not new, We created and sold a model first advertised in genii Magazine back in 1991 called Sudden fire. Our models at that time were priced at $1200 USD, now days with the cost of time and materials we would have to charge around the $3000 mark. Mind you our model was a free standing remote control candlabra that stood about 7 feet high with 8 candles that spiraled around the shaft. A table top version would be more economical, but I don't know Egregor's methods for the self lighting candles. Your model sounds interesting Egregor, espicially the part about the self extingushing candles, our model only lit the candles, it wasn't capable of putting the flame out. I wish you luck in your project.
However Peter's own "Rainmaker" is capable of putting the flame out...just thought I should point that out.

I should've seen that one comming!

LoL!
Forgive me, Egregor, but the spooky music strikes me as a bit on the cheesy side.

If you can make an examinable candelabra that self lights and self extinguishes, that would be worth quite enough without additional bells and whistles.

Best,
Neil
I agree with Neil - light and extinguish - leave the music to a soundtrack playing on a cd or ipod somewhere.

Oh, and yeah, I'd be interested as well.

Would this be a tabletop or floor model?
Hi, I need that effect for my act....pls PM me if available.
CC
Anyone know if I can copyright souls ? ;-)
I'd like to just lease them out and collecty royalites on 'em. ;)

egregor, your prop sounds too good to be true, which, honestly, has picqued my skepticism.
You have a method for lighting *real* candles - and extinguishing them too ?
So, these are not electric, right ? That would be a bad joke.
That is one of the holy grails of bizarrism you know - to control real candles, especially if it can be done without chemicals.
Even more difficult is extinguishing them.
BTW, I agree that the theremin is overkill.

I'm a techie kind of guy, I'd love to hear a little about your methodologies, if you're willing to share any of it.
Yes......this is looks like real magick.......I really interesting.
I really hope the set up is not complicated...;o)

CC
Gentlemen,

1. This lights candles, REAL CANDLES, MADE FROM REAL WAX, and extinguishes them.
2. It will initially be tabletop. A later version might be floorstanding.
3. It will be pk mag operated unless your specs call for remote control.
4. As far as skepticism, I can't help with that, I wouldn't have introduced the concept if I wasn't sure I could produce it. My goal was not to introduce something that was not feasible and make a fool out of myself before the people that I have such High regard.
5. My goal in life is not to be rich and famous, but comfortable and infamous.
6. The construction will be cold cast aluminum, or cold cast bronze.
7. I would like to be able to customize to some extent, to each individuals tastes.
8. I would love to share methodology, however if any of you could honestly stand in my shoes with this item, would you be willing to share info on something that is in the rudimentary prototype stages without a copyright, much less a patent. I know no one will find fault with me for that.
9. The beauty of my work philosophy is, I don't know of other methods of achieving this. I had no other input into the working. When I came up with the method it had absolutely nothing to do with what it is now being applied to.
10.With or without the theramin, your choice.
11. I am currently moving to a new home so everything is on hold for the moment.
12. My goal is a dvd available for mid september.
By the way, souls aren't going to cover it. I am high priest of 7 covens, so souls are plentiful, and anybody who is half decent bizzarist who doesn't have a coven or two is missing the boat. Them goth and wiccan girls is real friendly.
[quote]
On 2006-07-25 10:29, Neil Tobin wrote:
Forgive me, Egregor, but the spooky music strikes me as a bit on the cheesy side.

If you can make an examinable candelabra that self lights and self extinguishes, that would be worth quite enough without additional bells and whistles.

Best,
Neil
[/quote]

I agree. And, please, for God's sake, please do not make a zombie gimmick. That would look very cheesy. Of course, I base that on the thousands of zombie routines I have painfully endured over the years. :devilish:
Ok ok - I'll trade you a bottled goddess from ancient Mesopotamia?
Man, does every body have souls for trade? I used all of mine up last week. I'll trade a ring that makes you invisible in the dark for ten random souls.

Sorry I've been such a stranger guys.
No music . Please no music . And were are you going to find the time to do this running 7 covens . Running 1 is a full time job.
But if you can pull it off this thing sounds killer.
"Theramin"??? I think you mean a theremin? Early electronic instrument you played without touching?
I think he meant it would have a built in vitamin dispenser. ;-D

[img]http://www.vitaminlab.com/content_images/items/1374.jpg[/img]
Here's why I have reservations about this gadget - there seems to be some minor contradictions, but maybe egregor can clear them up:

[i]
11. I am currently moving to a new home so everything is on hold for the moment.[/i]
Then .. why post about a device you're working on now, only to say, a day later, that you're not currently working on it ?
That's a weird sense of timing you got there, but not entirely bizarre in and of itself.

[i]
12. My goal is a dvd available for mid september.
8. I would love to share methodology, however if any of you could honestly stand in my shoes with this item, would you be willing to share info on something that is in the rudimentary prototype stages without a copyright, much less a patent. I know no one will find fault with me for that. [/i]

Umm.. which ? What's the DVD for ?
You realize that patents are very, very costly, they take a long time to research, and they require you to reveal all the inner workings publicly, right ? That's why most magicians don't even bother.
Copyright does not apply to ideas/design plans as such. I mean, you could copyright a manual for the thing, but that doesn't protect the idea within, only the right to copy the manuscript material.

These are relatively minor points,granted, but looking from our perspective, they're reasonable ones.
Have any pics of it that don't reveal too much of the secret workings ?
If you're planning on having a DVD out within 6 or 8 weeks, surely you have some pics or videos of the process ?

For example, I've documented as much of my ELECTRi-FRiED device as possible on my webpage, though it's not an original concept by any stretch (not even for Yigal Mesika).
Give us [i]something[/i] to go on..
Point #1 Yes it is on hold, However the house I am moving to is right across the street. 8 months ago I lost my right leg to diabetes, and since then I have been living with my 73 year old mother.
Point #2 I have run 7 covens {not all at once}. Only 1 right now.How cool can you look at 46 living with your mother.
Point #3 Yes the electronic instrument, not vitamin D. Unless that's what you want.
Point #4 I don't have a website. I don't document every step of the process, I'm not that anal.
Point #5 Copyright patent or otherwise is irrelevent. I'm a handicapped guy working in my basement and there are a lot of big sharks out there that could bring my idea to market long before I could if I published my methodology publicly on the web. That doesn't seem very bright to me. God knows noone in the magic industry ever stole someones concept before.
Point #6 I've read elsewhere that this is not an original idea, however, judging by the response of this thread, there certainly don't seem to be any other options. someone said that theirs cost around $3000.00. I can only assume that price mark wasn't very popular.
Point #7 I will release a DVD of a full demonstration of the candlabra, which I plan on distributing free to anyone that is interested in making a purchase.
Point #8 With music, without music, with a lawnmower engine, with a propeller. It's all up to the customer placing the order. I'm the guy making this thing, I'll determine how much work I want to put in for a customer.
Point #9 This is the final and most important point. This will be the last message I post on this subject until it's release. I am not going to discuss the methodology with anyone. If this was an effect that was already on the market, it would be against the sites policy to discuss the workings. I don't understand the nitpicking and hostility that has been directed towards me for posing the question of how many people would be interested in owning such an effect. I know that faceless postings may have been written in one frame of mind, and read in another frame of mind. If I have felt hostility and there was none, I apologize. I will do my best to bring this thing to market as quickly as possible, at a reasonable price, but remember there are other things that require attention during a 24 hr. period besides this one project. I hope this clears everything up. If not, Too bad.
No, no brother, Mystican is just Anal :) you should see the souls he goes through just to find one he likes....

seriously though, it is all for the sake of a good hard discussion...all my people here are NOWHERE near like them hyenas down in the mental case forum :)...

I send my respect and wish you the best on your creations....im sure I speak for the rest of us as well..

Baba
Bless you and thank you Baba.
The good thing about Theremins is that you can summon Gort and intone the magic "Klatu barada nikto"....
Egregor...Expect a bit of skepticism surrounding what many would consider a "Dream Effect", something we have all wanted to some degree, but no one ever really figured out satisfactorally. Add that to the fact that you are an unknown to us, and you are going to meet some resistance.
Don't take it personally at all! Trust me when I say that despite the skepticism, everyone here wants your effect to work, and would absolutely love for you to be able to produce it.
I am definately looking forward to seeing you effect in action, and I like the idea of the theremin. One of my favourite bands DeVotchka used one in a live performance, and it was simply beautiful (Wierd, but beautiful!)
Please do keep us posted with progress and when we can finally take a look at what could potentially be, an amazing effect.
Hope you get settled in your new place soon! Best of luck,
Gwyd
Most of the skepticism expressed, Egregor, I think is due to the extraordinary nature of the device you are producing. I think your idea is terrific, and I really hope you can produce it for a reasonable price. I think everyone here would snap up such a device if it is affordable. Some of us do not make our living at this stuff, so we have a bit of difficulty justifying spending a lot of money on any prop. You have certainly aroused interest, to be sure!

Bill
It's not personal egregor - how could it be, I don't even know you. ;)
Don't take it as hostility, it's really not.
It might seem like I'm mounting an offense, but really I'm mounting a defense - I'm just trying to protect my brothers here from any possiblity of a scam, even those that are contrived just to pull our collective leg; and lord knows we've seen or even fallen prey to plenty of false claims before - magic is as ripe with those as it is the stealing of ideas.
Besides that, I'm a natural born cynic and I think skepticism is healthy and logical.

I wouldn't say that patent and copyright are irrelevent (and it was you who first mentioned them) - even if you start selling these things, and your name is firmly associated with them, that doesn't prevent anyone else from making them unless you patent it.
I've looked into this stuff, believe me, and I understand - I'm currently working on a design for new loop making jig that's radically different from anything out there, and I'm pretty sure that if the magic community really finds it useful, then someone will eventually steal the design and market their own version, because I seriously doubt I could afford the patent.
Not that a better loop jig is anyone's idea of a holy grail, but hey, if it works really well (unlike the others currently on the market, IMO) and people can save money using it, it will sell. And I've been very secretive of the design, so I understand where you're coming from - on the other hand, [i]your[/i] claims are rather [i]extraordinary[/i], so my curiousity overwhelmed my empathy for you.. :bwink:

Baba, I'm not anal, I'm just .. umm.. rectically challenged ! :evilgrin:
Egergor , please don't take it the wrong way . Your new on here then come out with a Effect that sounds to good to be true . It's dosen't matter how many post you have .Look I been on here a while and only have what 60 some post ( I do magic more then talk about it) But you came out with this. If you pull this off .Please let me know . I already know I can use this.

http://www.shades-of-magick.com
At last -- a chance to say this! Thanks, Myst. Personally, I think skepticism can be taken too far (no offense, Myst, I am not referring to you or to your ***tum). A long while back, when I was a New User here, I was attacked by an idiot -- sorry, I mean "individual" -- whom I will call "Charles the Unjust." Somehow, Isaac Newton came under discussion, and I commented that Newton defended the practice of astrology. Charles jumped all over me, insisting that Newton had nothing to do with astrology and that "I had no facts." A couple of people more knowledgeable than Charles pointed out to him that Newton had, in fact, studied astrology and did defend it. However, Charles never did concede that I was correct, nor did he apologize, and I suspect he continues to believe in Saint Isaac of CSICOP, in spite of all the facts brought before him. Also, it appears that he was never chastized by the official powers that be for his attack.

(Zing!)

There! I feel better now.
Hey Bill - if you don't get attacked by idiots on the Café - it means you haven't posted anything worthwhile... the more pithy - the more idiotic the attacks ;)
Yep, Doc, and guess where he hangs out: The Gospel Magic place. Figures.

Bill
Thank you all for your kind words and support. I am not new to the Café. I've been here for a few years. However I am new to posting. I've been a long time lurker. I did not realize the importance of what I am trying to accomplish. I just thought I had a neat effect. I've been a trade show, arcade, and museum fabricator for many years, and been exposed to many types of materials and techniques in the industry. I have just in the last 2 yrs. begun putting my talents towards magic effects. Next on the agenda after the candelabra is an animated book of shadows. To keep anyone from thinking they are getting scammed I will put myself at your mercy and allow you to dictate the terms under which these are sold. I think a live demonstration of a person of your groups choosing to review the effect before I take a single order. None of this hokey pre ordering. I don't know how much more fair I can be.
[quote]
On 2006-07-29 00:29, egregor wrote:
Thank you all for your kind words and support. I am not new to the Café. I've been here for a few years.
[/quote]

Now I'm skeptical, Egregore. Your profile says you joined the Café July 6, 2006, yet you say you have been around a few years. Can you explain the discrepancy?

Bill
Bill,
He has mentioned a couple of places that he has lurked here for years. I do know that is quite possible because I myself lurked here for a year or two before I got up the nerve to speak (post) among the greats.
Ok, Eddie, I guess that means people can read messages without becoming a member. I did not take that into consideration. If such is the case, my apologies go to Egregor.
I have many patents and I would like to offer a clarification. A patent says that other people can't copy your idea. However, if they do, it is up to you (and your lawyer) to make them stop. I'm betting that you don't have the resources to stop me if I choose to infringe on your patent. Reading some of the history of patent suits for the "Cutting in Half" illusion will make the point, and also provide some interesting insight into the giants who paved the way for us.

I should also add that more than half of my patents are based on finding ways to get around other peoples patents, and yet achieve essentially the same effect. We called it industrial research.

Viano

P.S. I am interested in your product.
Yep, it's a dog saw dog in half world.
[quote]
On 2006-07-29 14:51, Mystician wrote:
Yep, it's a dog saw dog in half world.
[/quote]

Arrggghhh! (collapse)
[quote]
On 2006-07-29 11:31, Eddie Garland wrote:
Bill,
He has mentioned a couple of places that he has lurked here for years. I do know that is quite possible because I myself lurked here for a year or two before I got up the nerve to speak (post) among the greats.
[/quote]

The most important lesson that I've ever learned is listening is infinately more important than speaking. I am an Asatru and follow the nine virtues, and one of those virtues is the economy of words. Words are not to be wasted. Over the years, every time I was about to post a question about a particular topic, I found the answer to my question later in the thread. My question was usually asked by another member, and subsequently answered, negating my need to post. Also was the feeling of worthiness. I hold most of the people on this site in high regard. You've all made me feel welcome, and one of my goals in life is to meet many of you in person, and be privy to your performances.
It is January 07. I am not reawakening a dead thread...It is just beginning...let's just say, I have seen the 'light', well part of it anyway. The project is real and it is...uh...looking very cool and has a whole new 'hook' not spoken of prior...but I'll leave that up to Egregor to reveal when the time is right...However, I am excited about the project and what I know of it...I will take part of the delay on my shoulders but the ship is sailing and will arrive eventually...is all that mysterious enough? For those who have the impression that a Higley touch is worthy of a glance should be happy. :)

Doug
Happy :)
Ecstatic... truly Cthuloid... Ia!
Punx described a self-lighting candelabrum that he used in his act during the 1950's. It ignited by means of chemicals. The last time he used it was in a television studio, when they were doing a video of his act. The chemicals were a bit "tetchy," and Punx nearly burned the studio down. The method is detailed in [i]Farewell Performance[/i], along with some very basic ideas of how to do the same thing without the use of these deadly chemicals.

I have some ideas about how to accomplish this if egregor is not still working on it.
Uh...yes Bill...that was the point of my post...that he is not only got it perfected but will soon have a couple of prototypes to get field tested by previously selected geniuses of the art. The candle will light and self extinguish with out a touch and at the proper time. I have not see the finished working model yet but he did get me to design the look of it on the 'outside'. Check your PM.

Oh and NO...no chem.
Add me to the list of the interested, this would be perfect for my venue which is a genuine ex-morgue converted to a restaurant/winery. There are always mysterious, old looking candelabras on the table when I perform. The Higley seal of approval and touches convinced me this is worth a look.

Cheers,
Al
The twisted thinking of Egregor combined with the artistic design of Higley? Color me interested.

Dave
Hey! I missed this thread completely when it come out! I'm interested in this candelabra!

Just one question: how many candles will the candelabra hold? One? Three? Six? If more than one, can they be lit/extinguished one at a time, or all together?

Many thanks!

--
Marco Pusterla - http://www.hauntiques.com/
http://www.mpmagic.co.uk/
[quote]
On 2006-07-25 23:12, egregor wrote:
By the way, souls aren't going to cover it. I am high priest of 7 covens, so souls are plentiful, and anybody who is half decent bizzarist who doesn't have a coven or two is missing the boat. Them goth and wiccan girls is real friendly.
[/quote]Yes they are! It's amazing what people will give up to obtain precieved power.
I swear, the Candelabra will put shivers down the spine just looking at the design - let alone its paranormal pyro powers...
How well would this version play for a television audience?

Chris
Add me to the "very interested" list please---I'm working to put together a small sceance, and this would be perfect!

Scott
I think the term Candelabra is a bit incorrect as it will be for a single candle.
Something Egregor will need to address I guess. That will be another thread, arguing over what to call a candle holder thingy. Maybe Larfnaaraletarnnordahoople.
Just thought I'd get my candidate in first.

No need to start the feeding frenzy that usually appears before something new comes out. Also no need to ask me anything, all I did was do the exterior...maybe Egregor is just a recorded voice machine for all I know. So I'm an easy touch, what can I say. Sounded like a FUN thing to do. Got that Guys/Gals...FUN thing (feeding frenzies can get frantic)

So here's everything I DON'T know...

1. What it will look like as a finished product. (Should be cool though)
Different finishes will be tested.

2. How it works. He told me but I don't know what the hell he's talking about, not my department. But simple to use. Sounded Brilliant to me, but I'm amazed by two cans and a string.

3. How much it will cost. Not a clue. Don't ask.

What I do know:

1. It will not play music. It's aproximately 10 inches tall and an inch and half wide. It uses one candle and it will not look like something from K-Mart. (I hope.)
2. Not much.

All I did was come up with a design that he liked. I guess he's 'easy' too. (If he exists.)

Will it change Magic? No. Will it make or break your Act? I hope not! It's just a neat idea and we'll see down the road as it gets produced.

Egregor's not talking till he has answers this time. (He learns fast.) Me, I'm just talking as usual (I never learn.). Kind of like the announcement of a new movie going into production...the sneak peeks are a ways off but the initial word intrigues...just don't start the lines at the box office quite yet. :)

Oh and as a personal aside...all the nonsense that develops around a new effect about DVDs and all that...It's a Candle for cryin' out loud. A freakin' Larfnaaraletarnnordahoople. It lights itself and it extinguishes itself. I have no idea what he plans around it but keep in mind, it's a Candle. How much Hollywood productiion do you think it needs or you need?

And yes Scott...I think it will be pretty neat for a Seance. You're on target.
Alright here's the scoop.
Whatever info I give up now is all I'm gonna give up.
You got the basics from Doug.
1. It is electronic, uses batteries, is not remote controlled.
2. It must be used seated, at a table. It is perfect for seances.
3. There are no angle problems.
4. It is a PK effect, to be followed by many, many, more PK effects.
5. It will play music; {If you drill a hole in the bottom of it and stick a
speaker in it.}
6. The final product will be in cold cast Bronze, or cold cast Pewter. Think Tiffany studios working for H.P.Lovecraft. For those with fat wallets, I will entertain the possibility of genuine cast silver. For those of you with really fat wallets I will entertain casting it in 24 KT gold.
I can cast one in plutonium for special interest groups.
7. It holds one single candle, available at your local dollar store. I tried several candles, but the logistics don't make it imposible, but do make it extremely difficult.
8. It does not use dangerous chemicals, or any chemicals.
9. Am I real? yes I am, I'm a happy little fat guy who is lucky enough to have several smokin hot Turkish girlfriends.Why? Cause foreign girls are more impressed with magicians than american women, and I have a personality.{I paid good money for it}.
10. Am I easy to please, NO, But when Doug Higley creates something, It's hard not to be impressed with the outcome.
11. Why did I choose to work with Doug? Cause I'm a nobody, and if you want to do something important, "a wise man aligns himself with the masters of his chosen field". That's what my master taught me.
12. What to call this thing? Larfnaaraletarnnordahoople, The master has spoken, so mote it be. Should be really easy to find on Google.

That's it, don't P.M. me, cause I ain't talkin. When will it be ready, I don't know, Remember Them Turkish girls, They're fun to be with, and I am a mangy F'n pervert.
Please add this poor mortal to the list of those who crave the knowledge of your wonder working creepy candleabra!! BTW-my wife is a really good thereminist. It comes in handy more than one might think.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jan 12, 2007 03:58PM)
Hello Egregor-
Count me in, in fact, if I can afford it, count me in for a pair, it's what I've been praying to many gods about for a few years now, for a seance.
Magically,
Walt
SanFranEntertain@SBCGlobal.Net
Larfnaaraletarnnordahoople? Good grief...if I knew you would have taken that and hammered it in harf lapfern I would have come up with a REAL name! This is your effect with your name on it....and mine in smaller letters. You name it...not Melvin though or Fred...that's kind of dorky for a Bizarre piece. How about Seance Light? Do you have to clap to make it work? :)

Actually I'm surprised you said as much as you did. Now slip back into obscurity untill your Larfnaaraletarnnordahoople is ready.

Meanwhile I will say I'm hunbled that you asked me to do it...even if your motives are highly questionable. (grin)

Thanks
D

PS: not being a pervert of any stripe do not ask me about Turkish girls...no reference points.
I've been MIA a bit for the past two days cause I've got a nasty cold, and I drag myself to the computer only here and there for brief periods.
But - now that I've seen the thread's revival (and a very good idea what said candle base will looky like :bwink: ) I should say that I, in fact, all of us, now know egregor much better, and I have faith in his design. The techie in me is dying to see what he came up, though I have an idea or two of my own that may or may not intersect with his, but I ever thought up a way to extinguish a candle.
(I've always been into fire magic, you'll see lots of my posts in the "Up in Smoke" forum over the past few years.) Electronically, there are a few key materials and lesser known items that make life in fire magic almost easy, but I'll disgress at this point so as to not "phish".
Of course, I'd be happier than a pig in **** if only my own Electrifried gadget could ignite [i]something[/i], but to date I've had no success with that particular endeavor, so I'm really looking forward to this puppy.

Umm.. Dan, couldn't you at least shorten the name to Larfnaal-alterhoople or something more manageable ? ;)
Jeez! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Nal
That's it! Brilliant Mystician! It's an Alterhoople. Now there's a name!

(groan...but it kind of has a lilt. Cue the Tubas!)
How about Egregindouglepoofinflicker.
I don't care what the name is. I just want one (or two).
Add me to the list. I'll take one.
Thanks
Ben
Perfect for when I chat with spirits.

I'll follow Egregor's flame.

[quote]
On 1578-01-13 02:02, Willian Shakespeare wrote:
"How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world."
[/quote]
My crystal Ball hath shown me what it will appear like--WONDERFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLL....
Yup- put my name on the list, this sounds like what I've been looking for.
Pat
I just watched our Harry Potter SotSS DVD again with my son.
Now I want an umbrella like Hagrid's too - the one that shoots flame.

:firedevil: [img]http://www.firelightgalleries.com/_images//animated_side_flame.gif[/img]

(Actually, that'd be easy - modify it with a pyrowizard type flash paper hand shooter)
That's an easy one- a turkey baster, some dragon's breath, and a butane igniter. Set your whole neighborhood on fire!
Please add me to your list of prospective purchasers.
sounds almost too good to be true though.
Fine, I admit to a facination of my own. I can't wait to see it.
Greetings

Please add me to the list as well as I would be most intrested in adding this wonderfull item to my show.

Thank you

Dean
Egregor - now that so many people have signed up in blood - charge $1000 minimum.
Hey Doc,
AAAHHHHH, stop twisting my arm.
Add another to the list:)

Peace,
Jerome.
Hi, Subject to price I may be interested too.
regards
Francis
Hi all. With Dan's (Egregor) Permission I put up a sneak peek of the RAW sculpt for the Candle Holder.
http://grindshow.com/GrindShow/Dan.html

So have a peek. Keep in mind it's not the finished (in Bronze) look so no whining yet.

Looks awesome! I am interested in purchasing one as well.
Ooh...It's so purty!!!
Can't wait to see the finished product!!
Gwyd
Doug and Dan,
Very nice. I will enjoy seeing the finished work.

Kind regards,
Jerome.
Ok, now I'm interested too.
Wonderfully strange. I hope Dan is ready to make a lot of these.

Dave
Beautiful Gents...reminds me of "The Gates of Hell"...as in the monumental Rodin sculpture!
Can we get a normal candle? Freeky is good for some others...
Scott, you are in the 'Freeky' thread...do you go to an Auto dealer and ask for a Horse? :) But yes...I'm sure there will be one in the works. PM Egregor. For the Spooky, The Mysterious and Bizarre this is the one planned.

Thanks
Doug
This thread needs a mailing list! That or the Café needs a way to subscribe.
I like it.
Hi Jim...I don't think it's all that formal a thing ...yet anyway. It'll be within the fold ya know and definately announced here when it's ready.

For example I do ALL my stuff only on the Café...100% and folks usually know what I'm up to with out a list...now if Egregor was to put out a Signed Numbered Edition or something that might be list time. Meanwhile just peel an eye around here...and I'll email you anyway if you like. If this thing turns out like hoped, I'll be selling it on my site. :)
Call me over anxious.
I just found something verrrrry interesting:

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=8630&cat=0&page=1

Looks like Rick Haslett is trying to beat egregor to the punch.
However, his candle looks rather..well, mundane by comparison, (but still very nice) doesn't self extinguish, and probably costs much more than this one will.
The remote is a cool idea though.

Just thought I'd bring this to light before somebody started saying Dan copied Rick.
Dan's had this on the drawing board for quite some time.
Hey everyone, Dan's had this idea on the drawing board for 22 years. I am nothing if not persistant. By the way, his self lights, mine self lights and self extinguishes, and was designed by the Bizarre master sculptor himself. It is just weeks away from it's debut. Hold on to your pennies. The remote control is not out of the realm of possibilities yet. Retail cost is the highest priority issue. I wanna make friends, not rape them.
I'm sure PT is sorry to hear that, he just stocked up on lube too.

hehehehehhhh... :evilgrin:
Mystician...I think that's another thread (where it belongs.)
Very interested in this also.
Beautiful, my eyes are tearing up....
Looking for a candelabra or lantern that will flicker and go out. Needs to be by some kind of remote control. Do not have to light or play music. Any ideas out there?

Haunted, Mind Mysteries & THE Beyond
Mentalism & Seance Show
Houdini Museum
Scranton PA
(570) 342-5555
I think Ronaldo (england) make a reomote contorl flicker fire with cave lantern.
If you need more info you can pm me...
I believe the one from Engand that you mention only makes the light flicker, but does not put it out. Need to put it out under my control.

Haunted, Mind Mysteries & THE Beyond
Mentalism & Seance Show
Houdini Museum
Scranton PA
(570) 342-5555
I was interested in a "normal" looking one as well... this looks to be a very beautiful effect.

EDIT: Removed comments that didn't look like I meant them to look
$260.00 for a candle that just lights, doesn't self extinguish, wasn't designed by Doug Higley, and is not made of cast Bronze. I'm almost ashamed of myself for what I was going to charge for this thing. Unfortunately I don't have the greed gene.
For those wanting a normal candle, this is for bizarre magicians, if you ain't Bizarre, you don't belong here.
Keep your eyes peeled in the next two weeks for an announcement.
I have to spend some time in the hospital next week getting a defibrulator installed in my chest, as soom as I'm out the last bits and pieces will be finalized.
I guess this is definative whether or not I can use one of Mysticians negative Ion Generators.
My Cardiologist wants to know what kind of people I hang out with. Kind of a loaded question.
Egregor -- You don't actually admit to knowing Mystician (or me for that matter) in public do you? You should be warned that doing so can lead to people in large groups standing in a circle around you and throwing rocks. Just thought you might want to know.

Dave
Dave, I was married to a witch for 11 years, card carrying High Priestess, I've performed for politicians and attorneys, and I'm still standing. Besides my mom used to rock me to sleep, She'll even show you the rock.
Rock...Heh...
Very few things that I read make me laugh out loud.
Rock.
That's funny.
Gwyd
[quote]
On 2007-04-06 04:47, egregor wrote:
$260.00 for a candle that just lights, doesn't self extinguish, wasn't designed by Doug Higley, and is not made of cast Bronze. I'm almost ashamed of myself for what I was going to charge for this thing. Unfortunately I don't have the greed gene.
For those wanting a normal candle, this is for bizarre magicians, if you ain't Bizarre, you don't belong here.
Keep your eyes peeled in the next two weeks for an announcement.
I have to spend some time in the hospital next week getting a defibrulator installed in my chest, as soom as I'm out the last bits and pieces will be finalized.
I guess this is definative whether or not I can use one of Mysticians negative Ion Generators.
My Cardiologist wants to know what kind of people I hang out with. Kind of a loaded question.
[/quote]

Has there been any progress on this? And have you considered a "normal" candle?

I know this is the bizarre forum, but isn't the old (or not so old)adage: bizarre is as bizarre does? Just a thought =)
[quote]
On 2007-04-07 03:08, egregor wrote:
Dave, I was married to a witch for 11 years, card carrying High Priestess, I've performed for politicians and attorneys, and I'm still standing. Besides my mom used to rock me to sleep, She'll even show you the rock.
[/quote]

My mom used to stone me to sleep too. It worked well, but waking up with the bruises is kinda a bummer. Then there's the inevitable bain dramage. :P

This is the witch I'd wanna marry:
http://www.fionahorne.com/
Thanks for raising this from the dead, Doug will attest to my frustration on this subject. The final holdup was the finished look, I wanted this thing to look like antiqued Bronze, as though, Louis Comfort Tiffany had a nightmare and brought it to life. This is made from a process called cold cast bronze. It contains 90% sintered bronze metal suspended in 10% fast hardening urethane. It is allowed to cure for 48 hours before the polishing begins.The polishing process takes about 4 hours, and no machines are involved. I've spent 2 months trying to get it NOT to look like a highlighted chocolate easter bunny. That final step was broken through last week. I will not be producing anything that looks NORMAL, it's just not in my nature. The final part of the puzzle is securing a reputable, repeatable dealer for one part. I haven't decided whether to produce in a limited supply or not. I have lots of investment to recapture. I think I will produce them till I can't stand to see another one, then that will be the final number. Anybody want to take on a challenge of cold casting, I'll show my trash can of prototypes, costing in excess of $1100.00. Anyway look for it REAL,REAL soon at Higleys site.
As for that witch Myst, YUMMY. Mine didn't quite look like that, but those 44DD's were sure memorable.
Well this is a magick item that I have wanted to exist for a long time,(but operated with a small remote control). plus I'm a big fan of Dougs art, so please hurry and start saleing these things. by the way would the wick look real?
More than looks, the candle, and wick IS real.
I've wanted them to exist for a long time too. (it seems)
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jun 11, 2007 05:24PM)
I am also interested in this. Why use a normal looking candle holder? When you can be Bizarre! LOL

Ray
Maybe if we all beat the crap out of Egregor it will appear...
Heck, let's beat the crap out of him, anyway! :rotf:

Bill
But who will clean up all the crap left on the floor after you're done beating him ? :sick:
I'm tellin my mom that you guys are pickin on me, and she'll call my big blonde girlfriend in Oregon who is a Knug fu master to beat you all up. Or off. Hahahahaha

Mess with me will ya.
Egregor how many times could it be light, how long can it burn, and can it be replaced with a normal candle after its worn out and still work?
And could you make a small version to work with b-day size candles?
Doug do you think you could use a creature or a dead mans to hold the candle?
Shhh, don't tell Doug I told you, but he makes a Dead Man's Hand designed to hold a candle. It is a regular Dead Man's Hand of Glory.

Tony
I might enjoy a smack down from a big blonde & am willing to travel to oregon to get it. (Your candle that is, once it is ready) I'm not getting any younger ya know!
[quote]
On 2007-06-12 00:54, egregor wrote:
I'm tellin my mom that you guys are pickin on me, and she'll call my big blonde girlfriend in Oregon who is a Knug fu master to beat you all up. Or off. Hahahahaha

Mess with me will ya.
[/quote]

Oh, no, not the big blond girlfriend from Oregon! She might even knug your fu!

(There ya go, Myst. Pickin' on a typo again! ;) )