(Close Window)
Topic: Children's Magic Books
Looking for referrals of a good quality children's book of magic. It has to be a commercially published book, not a performer giveaway sort of book.

Recommendations appreciated please :)
What age are the children ?
There are so many books about you are due for a shock !
The Magic Handbook by Peter Eldin is a great one for starters, or the Klutz book of Magic.
"Magic and Card Tricks" hardcover

I saw it in on the childrens book shelf in TJ Max. Very impressive with full color photos. It's hard to find elsewhere though.
Here is a picture of the book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1851705627/202-3959394-1541430?v=glance&n=266239
As an oldie but goodie, Bill Severn wrote some nice books that kids can manage. "The Complete Book of Magic" is $7.99 at Barnes&Noble.com

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&isbn=0883658984
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Aug 3, 2006 02:33PM)
I can remember reading the Bill Severn bookk as a child...is this the same author as "Now you see it...now you don't!"
No, the author of the 2 NOw You See IT books (as well as the classic 100 Classic Magic Tricks you Can Do) is Bill TARR. Actually an excellent trio of books for any budding magician - excellent explanations, illustrations and good foundation of sleights and routines for all occassions. Better than the run-of-the-mill beginner books.
Look up silly billy..
[quote]
On 2006-08-03 20:36, trixy wrote:
Look up silly billy..
[/quote]
??? Silly Billy puts out products aimed at helping children's entertainers However, from what I gather, this thread is asking for suggestions for books for giving to a young magician...
Sorry...my misstage...
What is it you are trying to accomplish?
Hi Futureal:

The Mark Wilson Course in Magic and the Karl Fulves series of "Self-Working" magic are terrific resources for material to teach children, but the books are written for adults...they're not real children friendly. They're great resources for you if you want to teach children some magic.

I've seen the Mark Wilson and Fulves books in places like Barnes and Noble as well as on Amazon.com. However, if you're looking for books on magic that are written for children, I suggest going to the public library and looking in the children's section. I can't remember titles or authors' names, but there are some really good books with large color photos and big type that show kids how to make simple tricks and how to perform them.

Like Dennis, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but I hope this helps you.

Ron
Bill Severn is the man for kids magic books. check your local library, ebay or amazon.
[quote]
On 2006-07-26 00:39, Futureal wrote:
Looking for referrals of a good quality children's book of magic. It has to be a commercially published book, not a performer giveaway sort of book.

Recommendations appreciated please :)
[/quote]

This member has received a lot of replies but has failed to either acknowledge them or explain the answer to Dennis Michaels' very valid question. Perhaps he isn't clear himself.
Most of Bill Severnīs books are adequate for your needs. One of the best to open up the mind of young magician-to-be, is his "Magic in Four Acts". It can be found on Amazon at a multiple range of prices.
Joshua Jay's Big Magic for Little Hands is another option.