(Close Window)
Topic: Angel hits the big time
Criss has apparently signed a HUGE 10-year contract to peform LIVE at the LUXOR in Las Vegas... AND was re-newed for a THIRD season with A&E.
Cool
And that's only half the story...

Basically you could say the show will be Criss du Soleil...as the show will be a Cirque du Soleil production.

With that kind of money and production talent behind him...it should be a heck of a show.

Kevin
That sounds cool. His caracter I don't think is very good on tv but it would probly make a great stage show. I realy liked his version of the sub trunk he did on the last episode of minde freak. If his show has good stuf like that it will be great.
This sounds perfect! I would certainly want to see the show.

The MindFreak strange desert gang looks as if they were lost from Cirque du Soleil anyway.
Well... I'd say a weekly television series is already " the big time" ..LOL.

The cirque connection makes perfect sense as right now cirque shows rule Vegas.

Best,

Tim
Criss is already a performance artist and his style and show previously fit in well with the CDS style of shows.
Personally, I think it's a bit sad to see an "alternative" voice in magic join the shlocky mainstream. A bit like find out a really cool grunge band had just signed a contract to play, well, Vegas. I suppose Angel never really was that alternative anyway, but I'd like to think his style doesn't fit in with the sequins and Wayne Newton set.

I'm a bit embarrassed to be a practicioner of an art form that has as it's physical center the most shallow of American cities. Think music, think Detroit and Nashville, etc.; Think martial arts, think mountaintops and islands in China and Japan; Magic? Las Vegas. I'd love to have a few magicians out there breaking that connection. I guess we need someone more truly alternative than Criss Angel. I still like some of his magic.
Don't write Chris off just yet as joining the sequined set. I think he'll drop the baseball cap and grunge image but stay with something still in his style.

Hey... with all the !@#$%ing I've done about his camera tricks... I will be glad to see him do any sort of a live show. LOL

Best,

Tim
I needed a reason to go to Vegas, now I have one.

Joshua,
When Mindless Television (MTV) got into politics and punk went pop, every line I crossed, as a teen, was erased.
I for one will be attending that show for sure. I have critized him over and over for what he does on TV. Now he will have the chance to prove his critics wrong. I certainly hope he succeeds. And if he does, IŽll be the first in line to recognize it.

A third season for Mindfreak? Well, the creative team will have to work a lot of extra hours.
[quote]
On 2006-07-26 19:41, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Personally, I think it's a bit sad to see an "alternative" voice in magic join the shlocky mainstream. A bit like find out a really cool grunge band had just signed a contract to play, well, Vegas.
[/quote]

You're not thinking of the economics of a show of this scale. Has to be in a city with a constant stream of tourists who want to see shows. It's the only way to pay for the huge infrastructure costs -- have you ever seen a Cirque show in Vegas? They have stages alone that cost close to $100 million. And I mean literally the STAGE itself!

Without the tourism centered in Vegas, it'd be impossible to do a show of that magnitude and stay financially solvent.

That said, as "shallow" as Vegas may be, there are some spectacular shows there. Not the old-style Vegas cheese-o-rama shows, but new, high end top-notch productions. Especially the Cirque shows, which are wonderful and significantly better than any of their travelling shows.
The "O" show is more magical than any magic show I've ever seen. I've been hoping that Cirque produce a magic show for years. Criss and Cirque are a perfect match up.
Pete, what is your vested interest in this? Do you really believe that chris will succeed in his show?

Would you think that cyril would do better? And if so would you ride his coattails? I think that you and your cronies would be better suited to establish yourselvels rather than ride the coattails.

Just my opiinion(which would obviously disagree with yours)
Edh:

Don't know who you are, but I bet Pete established his creds before you were born. Your anger seems a rather inappropriate response to Pete's informational post.

So as long as we're asking questions, let me ask you: What axe are you grinding?

B
Congrats to Criss and all involved with the program. It will be interesting to see what kind of live show Criss and the SDC crew can come up with.
[quote]
On 2006-07-27 19:51, edh wrote:
Pete, what is your vested interest in this? Do you really believe that chris will succeed in his show?

Would you think that cyril would do better? And if so would you ride his coattails? I think that you and your cronies would be better suited to establish yourselvels rather than ride the coattails.

Just my opiinion(which would obviously disagree with yours)

[/quote]

WOW...obviously not familiar with some of the history of our little craft here. On top of that, you might be interested in knowing that Pete has worked with Cyril on his visits to the States. So, he is not that unfamiliar.

There are actually some of the names out there that have learned quite a bit from Mr. Biro. You might be surprised. Or just naieve.................
Edh-
Among MANY other achievements, Pete Biro had some of his effects printed in Tarbell's Magic Course. Also- together with Joe Porper he has created some of the nicest magic effects in recent history. He does not need to "ride anyone's coattails." Nuff said.
Also, keep in mind that Angel had a hit off-broadway show in NYC before his series, so it's not like a stage show is new territory for him.

I missed the opportunity to see it when I was up there a few years back, because the loud Marilyn Manson-like music blaring from the theater and Criss's look really turned me off. Now I deeply regret that choice. I didn't realize what a serious magician he was.

I'd love to see him live sometime (but not enough to come to Vegas...)
You can smile in the sun of ones success, or, you can frown in shadows. Were I Cyril, I'd be happy for Criss.
Hey edh...

Might be a good idea to read a bit before you post vitrol that is based on fiction..

Read the above posts...

Watch a few videos (One springs to mind: The Stevens series on the Masters of Magic...The renowned Tom Mullica sites a Pete Biro Egg Bag routine as inspiration)...

And that's just ONE tidbit...

If anyone is riding anyone's coattails...Well, they are riding PETES!

Prof. Piper
I'm brown-nosing Mr. Biro to get F1 perks in Monte Carlo.
When this forum is used by a member to attack other members, then we have really hit bottom.

I have seen several of the Cirque du Soleil shows in different parts of the world. To me "O" is by far the best and most beautiful. Not that the others are bad, but "O" has something special.

Criss doing a show along with Cirque du Soleil productions is certainly an intriguing concept. I think he has the personality to pull it off. And his style is very well suited to these types of show. The only thing that worries me is that Cirque shows have always had a lot of emphasis on special effects and pyrotechnics. People know they are special effects. I just hopw they can draw the line with the special effetcs and the illusions, so as not to think they are more of the same, but actually the magician taking center stage.

I wish him well. 10 years? Wow! I thought only Celine Dion got the lenghty contracts.
[quote]
Wow! I thought only Celine Dion got the lenghty contracts.
[/quote]
............as well as Lance Burton, Siegfried & Roy, Mac King, and numerous production shows.
Carl you are right. Still I think CelineŽs deal was the longest so far.
Sorry jazz....you are incorrect. Lance's contract is 13 years.
Oops, I stand corrected. Thanks for claryfing that.
Edh - I have no vested interest in Angel's show, shows, productions or anything he does, other than the fact that he hired me to work on his book (at the printers) and to photograph some of his work.

I would like to be added to his staff of consultants, but that has not happened. (I haven't asked).

Do I think he will succeed there? I have no idea, but I do feel that with the Cirque folks involved and his management team "The Firm" he should do just fine.

Would Cyril do well someone asked?

Probably the same as Criss -- if he had the right people behind him.

I know of another young, hip magician that has a Billionaire working with him to put a huge show together... they are in no rush, they are keeping dead quiet on this and building the show in a huge secret location, and, if they do it they would have the same chance as anyone.

However, ALL of the above will have to put on a "good show" to succeed. If the show sucks they will vanish in a flash.

BTW, edh, do you have a full name?