(Close Window)
Topic: New Billet DVDs
Message: Posted by: Tony Razzano (Jul 26, 2006 08:53PM)
New Billet DVDs
They are at the duplicator's now, but in a week or so, Allen Zingg will be releasing his 4 volume 5 DVD set on billet work. I have not seen these yet, but over the last 8 years, I have seen Allen do most of the items in this set in person. Allen lived close to me and we got together frequently.

He is the best billet worker I have ever seen and arguably the best ever. He really fooled me with most of them and I was sitting either across from him or at right angles to him at a table at the local diner( the New Jersey mentalists meeting place)

These are not the kind of DVDs you can watch once and absorb. They are full of detail and subtlety. I think we will need to watch them through, then go back and pick and choose the techniques we want to master. I know that the Dance of Shiva will be on there and Allen has made it less complicated and uses it with Docc's permission.

Much of the content is Allen's original work and is superb.

They will be in the area of about 35 USD each and the set for $140 or so.

Contact Allen for details....he is going to offer a discount if you buy the set from him directly. You can contact Allen at:

azingg.ix.netcom.com

_________________
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Message: Posted by: Phil C (Jul 26, 2006 08:59PM)
Oh my god.
A 5 DVD set on billets!
This is so cool!
Message: Posted by: Phil C (Jul 26, 2006 09:00PM)
By the way, the link you provided does not work.
Message: Posted by: Tony Razzano (Jul 26, 2006 09:09PM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-26 22:00, Phil Chau Kin Man wrote:
By the way, the link you provided does not work.
[/quote]

Its not highlighted for some reason, but it IS his email address (not a website). OK, I see what I did wrong. Here is the correction with apologies.

azingg@ix.netcom.com

Best,
Tony
Message: Posted by: ScottLeavitt (Jul 26, 2006 10:39PM)
Just heard from Allen, and they'll be out in a few weeks...

Thanks for the heads up Tony!

S
Message: Posted by: Greg Arce (Jul 26, 2006 11:31PM)
Allen has some great work with billets so there should be some wonderful stuff within those DVDs.

Greg
Message: Posted by: Reuben Dunn (Jul 27, 2006 01:58AM)
Great!

First Stuart Cumberland announces a Billet DVD set, and now Allen....who's next? Annemanns nephew? {;-)
Message: Posted by: Bill Cushman (Jul 27, 2006 08:23AM)
Allen's set of DVDs have been in the making for quite a long while; I think it is safe to say the project started well before any of the others. This isn't to take a thing away from wonderful recent releases such as Thought Reading With Billets: Acidus Novus (acutally CD) and Annemann 2005 or Stuart's soon to be released King of Billets.

Allen is a perfectionist and set himself very high standards. He wasn't going to release these DVDs until he could get them done just the way he wanted. This included getting permission from others as Tony indicated above.

What originially was meant to be contained on 4 DVDs eventually required 5, Allen had so much he wanted to include and describe in complete detail. He wouldn't consider releasing it until it was something he'd be proud to own.

I've been in communication with Allen since this project was in its most embryonic stages which is an apt metaphor because this is his "baby." We've discussed the joy, the frustrations, the labor pains and now the birth (to stay with my increasingly streatched metaphor). I can't wait to meet this kid!

Bill
Message: Posted by: Sir T (Jul 27, 2006 08:57AM)
I am not sure which one, I will buy now?? Geesh, I guess it all will depend on price and or reviews. I Like Sturats material, so I guess it is a waiting game now.
Message: Posted by: Maddened (Jul 27, 2006 08:57AM)
Sounds wonderful... It does seem though, that fewer and fewer mentalists are doing billet work now (at least the ones that I saw aren't, which of course in no way represent the larger community), so this sounds really exciting. I'd love to see a good billet routine in this day and age. That would rock. ;)
Message: Posted by: RickThibau (Jul 27, 2006 10:45AM)
I think it will be wonderfull both as a educational and research tool, but one good switch, one good index and one good peek is enough.
Message: Posted by: ElliottB (Jul 27, 2006 11:08AM)
Cool! I really like some of Allen's material from Billets Naturally. He mentioned the videos in the booklet and I've been eagerly waiting to get my hands on the new stuff.
Message: Posted by: ElliottB (Jul 27, 2006 11:26AM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-27 11:45, RickThibau wrote:
I think it will be wonderfull both as a educational and research tool, but one good switch, one good index and one good peek is enough.
[/quote]

I agree that you CAN get by with one good switch. However, IMO, some switches are better suited for certain situations then others.

Things to consider are:

Angles
Difficulty
Speed
Visual Deceptiveness
Limited Applications
Blocking Requirements
Misdirection Requirements

There is often a trade off, so I like having multiple options for any given routine or venue.
Message: Posted by: ElliottB (Jul 27, 2006 11:59AM)
Other things to consider are:

Paper requirements
Fold Requirements
Objects at hand
Optimum distance from audience
What you want to accomplish
How you plan to get a ďreadĒ


I think itís best have a bunch of methods at your disposal
Message: Posted by: Phil C (Jul 27, 2006 12:38PM)
I agree with ElliottB.
I like to have a wide skill set and multiple methods.
So in many cases, I would not be constrained by anything.
Message: Posted by: Bill Cushman (Jul 27, 2006 01:13PM)
I can't speak for Stuart's King of Billets (though based on past work I suspect it will be very good) but with Allen's set you are getting much more than just a peek, a switch and an index. As those above mentioned, certain methods fit certain people better and different situations may require different handlings.

But it is even more than that from what I know of Allen's project. There will be effects and routines. There will be ways offered to control the writing without in anyway being coercive. Reasons for using a billet in the first place without having to say a thing to justify why or arousing the least suspicion are included. In the area of CTs, all of the above plus perfectly congruent, again not necessarily spoken, reasons for tearing are provided. These are the questions I've seen come up again and again at the Cafť; there is even a current thread on justifying the CT. Imagine having these questions resolved once and for all PLUS all the methods and effects.

This is in no way a cursory explanation of billet work. Not on 5 DVDs! Allen has gone to great lengths to include details that make all the difference in the world and to make sure he is teaching in a way to make everything easily accessible. Again, these are not the kind of DVDs where you are going to watch once and go right out and perform; they require study, practice and dedication. And this is what all of our work deserves.

Before it becomes an issues I am compeltely biased :). Two of my ideas are included in the set and wouldn't be there if I didn't know they were in very capable hands. Like the rest of you, I am eagerly awaiting this release.

Good Thoughts,

Bill
Message: Posted by: ElliottB (Jul 27, 2006 01:44PM)
His ďAutomatic Fold SwitchĒ rocks. Itís very easy and has unlimited applications. I use a (somewhat modified) version all the time. If he teaches just that one switch on a DVD, itís worth picking up. His routines are also quite good.
Message: Posted by: MentaThought (Jul 27, 2006 04:40PM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-27 09:57, Maddened wrote:
It does seem though, that fewer and fewer mentalists are doing billet work now ... I'd love to see a good billet routine in this day and age.
[/quote]

Bob Cassidy has a limited-release manuscript out now entitled "The Secrets of Perfect Billet Work." Notable, in respect to the above, is the blurb's statement,

"In addition to a substantial amount of new material, everything's been reorganized, re-edited, and updated to meet the technological and social challenges that threaten the future of mentalism as a viable performing art."

Although the ms (apparently) doesn't come with any video I'm very interested in his claim to address "the technological and social challenges that threaten the future of mentalism as a viable performing art."
Message: Posted by: Richard Paddon (Jul 27, 2006 05:30PM)
Bob Cassidy's ebook is actually called One-Man Billet Routines. It includes three video clips of billet work from Bob's Black Box DVD.

Richard
Message: Posted by: Maddened (Jul 27, 2006 10:35PM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-27 17:40, MentaThought wrote:

Bob Cassidy has a limited-release manuscript out now entitled "The Secrets of Perfect Billet Work." Notable, in respect to the above, is the blurb's statement,

"In addition to a substantial amount of new material, everything's been reorganized, re-edited, and updated to meet the technological and social challenges that threaten the future of mentalism as a viable performing art."

Although the ms (apparently) doesn't come with any video I'm very interested in his claim to address "the technological and social challenges that threaten the future of mentalism as a viable performing art."
[/quote]

Thanks for the reference. Well Cassidy is one of the "old guys", so to speak. I mean, from what I can tell (and again this is by no means the reality, it's just what I have been exposed to and what I perceive), the "new" thing is NLP. Luke Jermay, Kenton Knepper, Derren Brown etc are the oft-quoted and oft-performed material. And along the way, billet work seemed have falled through the cracks.

And yea, it'll be interesting to see what he means by "technological and social challenges" but as for "mentalism as viable performing art", I thought it's becoming more popular than ever! For both viewers and performers! :D

Again thanks for the Cassidy reference. Hmm... I wonder if there is anyone out there who still features billet work as a major part of his act ala Annemann's "One Man Mind Reading Act".
Message: Posted by: ElliottB (Jul 27, 2006 10:53PM)
Iím not a professional performer, but most of the stuff I do nowadays is billet work. Psychological Subtleties are a fantastic tool. They increase your chances of having things look truly miraculous. Itís also great way to define what youíre doing. No one believes that I can tell the future. On the other hand, Iíve convinced quite a few people that I can somehow influence their actions. Itís all very plausible and scientific. Meanwhile, in all cases, psychological subtleties are only part of the method. I never work without a net (I guess thatís why Iím a CPA and not a professional mentalist.)

By the way, for a great book on Psychological Subtleties, check out . . .

Psychological Subtleties.


Thanks,

Elliott
Message: Posted by: Maddened (Jul 27, 2006 11:49PM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-27 23:53, ElliottB wrote:
By the way, for a great book on Psychological Subtleties, check out . . .

Psychological Subtleties.
[/quote]

Haha... Succinctly put. I assume your billet work is mainly for a small audience in a close-up/parlour type of setting?

And to not detract from the topic, Allen just replied me! I'm squirming in my seat just waiting for this set to be released. Heh...
Message: Posted by: Phil C (Jul 28, 2006 02:00AM)
Is there an exact date of the release?
Will it be available in most magic dealers?
Message: Posted by: Maddened (Jul 28, 2006 02:03AM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-28 00:49, Maddened wrote:

I'm squirming in my seat just waiting for this set to be released. Heh...
[/quote]

By this I mean of course that I'm squirming with delight and excitement. Not to cause any misunderstanding. Ahem...
Message: Posted by: Bill Cushman (Jul 28, 2006 07:22PM)
And lets not forget Bob Cassidy's Ten Switches! This is a wonderful teaching tool precisely because of his incorporation of video where you get to see both the perspective of the audience and the performer. Very little printed material but the videos more than make up for it.

Also, Maddened mentioned: "Hmm... I wonder if there is anyone out there who still features billet work as a major part of his act ala Annemann's "One Man Mind Reading Act". " You must have missed Stuart Cumberland's wonderful update of this called Annemann 2005. The DVDs are sold out but perhaps the ebook is still available.

I use two switches (at least for now!). One is from Ten Switches and the other is the first billet switch from Allen Zingg's Billets....Naturally!
Message: Posted by: Maddened (Jul 28, 2006 07:51PM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-28 20:22, Bill Cushman wrote:
Also, Maddened mentioned: "Hmm... I wonder if there is anyone out there who still features billet work as a major part of his act ala Annemann's "One Man Mind Reading Act". " You must have missed Stuart Cumberland's wonderful update of this called Annemann 2005. The DVDs are sold out but perhaps the ebook is still available.
[/quote]

Yup I know about this, but I "disqualified" Stuart since technically he is updating Annemann. And isn't he semi-retired or something? I could be wrong... Ah picky, picky me... But let this not be some critique on Stuart's skill and mastery of the billet either!
Message: Posted by: Phil C (Jul 29, 2006 03:21AM)
Is there more informationon Stuart's DVD?
Is there a website or product description?
When will it be release?
Thanks.
Message: Posted by: David Numen (Jul 29, 2006 05:10AM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-28 20:51, Maddened wrote:

Yup I know about this, but I "disqualified" Stuart since technically he is updating Annemann. And isn't he semi-retired or something? I could be wrong... Ah picky, picky me... But let this not be some critique on Stuart's skill and mastery of the billet either!
[/quote]

I havenīt heard anything about Stuart being semi-retired but his update of the Annemann Act is based one HIS OWN constant use of the act for various settings and since he mentions a couple of further developments on his blog which hav occured since he released the DVD it seems he is still working the act. Since his DVD features footage from two large shows and he has since tweaked the act to be even stronger (and have done enough shows to judge the difference) I suspect heīs busier than 90% of we who post here!
Message: Posted by: Mr Amazing (Jul 29, 2006 05:15AM)
Do/will any/all of the above mentioned billet stuff contain presentational ideas or even performances for laymen too?
Or are they more or less only on methods?

Thanx
Message: Posted by: Bill Cushman (Jul 29, 2006 09:08AM)
Mr A.

I can only speak for Allen Zingg's DVDs. I include two, IMHO, very strong routines; one a special pet that I had very mixed feelings about releasing but it fit a need of Allens and I've performed it for a long time and want to share it with the brethern. Laymen love this one. Others have contributed similarly. Yes, in five,yes count em, FIVE DVDs there will be significant methods and nuances taught. There will also be significant presentational ideas shared. I couldn't even imagine five DVDs of that only teach method. It could be used as a method of torture!

Good Thoughts,

Bill

P.S. PM me if you like, I seem to remember another incarnation at another place long ago and far away.
Message: Posted by: Maddened (Jul 29, 2006 10:31AM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-29 06:10, bartlewizard wrote:

I havenīt heard anything about Stuart being semi-retired but his update of the Annemann Act is based one HIS OWN constant use of the act for various settings and since he mentions a couple of further developments on his blog which hav occured since he released the DVD it seems he is still working the act. Since his DVD features footage from two large shows and he has since tweaked the act to be even stronger (and have done enough shows to judge the difference) I suspect heīs busier than 90% of we who post here!
[/quote]

That's great to know! I stand humbly corrected then. Thanks for pointing this out. :)
Message: Posted by: green4magic (Jul 29, 2006 10:56AM)
For the new KING OF BILLETS release by Stuart Cumberland go to:

http://www.mental-list.com

It is being released at noon today.

STAY MYSTICAL
Message: Posted by: Phil C (Jul 29, 2006 01:46PM)
I don't see the King of Billets.
Is it under Mentalist Products?
Message: Posted by: Stuart Cumberland (Jul 29, 2006 03:08PM)
Thanks green4magic and those with the kind comments. Try http://www.KingOfTheBillets.com
Message: Posted by: Phil C (Jul 29, 2006 08:28PM)
Thanks!
Message: Posted by: BT (Jul 29, 2006 11:51PM)
Hi folks,
I know Stuart has only released his dvd set "king of the billets" today, but was wondering if anybody has ordered it yet? I plan on getting it at some point(just don't have the $$ right now) If you go to his site, http://www.kingofthebillets.com and are one of the first 100 people to order you will get $20 knocked off the price as well as some cool bonus footage etc... Good luck with the release of what looks to be a wonderful dvd set chalked full of information Stuart. And thanks for your insightful mental-list newsletters. Always some good stuff in there.

Warmest wishes from Winnipeg,
Brian
Message: Posted by: Bill Cushman (Jul 30, 2006 02:01AM)
Stuart's recent newsletter with his method of narrowing down to your one "reputation maker" effect was priceless. I'm doing my best to only present two routines right now, as per his suggestions, which is very hard with all the other great stuff I've been working on lately. But I know he is right. Funny, Allen Zingg gave me the same advice years ago and it worked but then I eventually got drawn back into the "tyranny of the new." One of my two pets is on the Zingg DVDs so it will be interesting to see how other magi perceive it, though as Stuart said, it is how regular people percieve that really counts.
Message: Posted by: MentaThought (Jul 30, 2006 06:40AM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-27 18:30, Richard Paddon wrote:
Bob Cassidy's ebook is actually called One-Man Billet Routines. It includes three video clips of billet work from Bob's Black Box DVD.

Richard
[/quote]

You're right about the title -- thanks for clarifying! I guess "THE SECRETS OF PERFECT BILLET WORK" is sort of a subtitle.

Funny you should mention The Black Box DVD: I ordered it from Cassidy *last* *summer* ... and am still awaiting it's arrival.

I realize he's been through some very tough times this past year and is now trying to catch up on back-orders (and has been quite generous to us patiently-waiting customers, I must point out.) I'm hopeful that I'll receive the DVD soon.
Message: Posted by: Nicodemus (Jul 30, 2006 07:37AM)
At least for me I was delighted with Stuart's 'Annemann Act 2005' DVD's and trust the new 'King of the Billets' will be just as helpful and have ordered them.

I actually think Stuart will have a much better product this time around based on what he has learned from the previous release (don't let his friend change zoom on the camera and remember to turn auto-focus off, etc.) and his wise choice of actually asking people what they want to learn and including it on this set of DVD's. When is the last time you heard of a Pro asking for input like that?

As an aside, if anything added to my respect for Stuart Cumberland it would be his refusal to sell more product at the risk of breaking his word.

Best thooughts, - Nicodemus
Message: Posted by: Pete Legend (Jul 30, 2006 10:17AM)
Hey Guys,

Im sure it's nothing but when I logged onto the site above,I clicked on "order now",then proceeded to click on "PayPal",I was asked to enter my login details(e-mail address and password) but I didn't see that reassuring golden lock appear bottom right on my screen (this signifies that its a secure transaction) all I got was a picture of an eye with a red circle in front of it(privacy report or something)I should point out I'm an idiot when it comes to computers but I like to be sure(actually I rather purchase over the phone)
Message: Posted by: Stuart Cumberland (Jul 30, 2006 11:26AM)
Grobbelaar: a friend just phoned me to alert me to your concern, and I'm GLAD you pointed that out.

The problem is resolved, but will take time to take effect. But I assure you, the page was and IS secure.

The problem is domain name "masking". The "real page" is http://www.mental-list.com/kotb/index.htm . Hard for people to remember. So, I registered KOTB with GoDaddy and had it "point" to the above. So, when you type in http://www.KingOfTheBillets.com, it points you to the longer url. Masking hides the real url, which is useful for search engine search purposes, but it also masks the "secure" site... hence you only see the domain name displayed no matter where you surf in the masked site.

Problem was just fixed. No problemo.

Sorry for the difficulties and THANKS for pointing that out. It's no longer "masked".

SC
Message: Posted by: Bill Cushman (Jul 30, 2006 12:28PM)
I just received some info from Allen Zingg that I thought folks might find helpful. His DVD set is called "Allen Zingg's Master Billet Course."

It includes 8 hours of material. There are 40 routines included. Thirty techniques are taught in detail.

Much of the DVD set is shot with 3 cameras so front, back and close-up angles can be seen and appreciated. Effects are performed in real world conditions and shot in a variety of venues.

Allen writes: "Iíve redesigned classic techniques, created original moves, and developed seamless routines to show you just how powerful and entertaining mentalism with billets can be. Iíll teach you step-by-step with performances in a variety of settings, detailed explanations and some amazing close-ups so that you get everything you need.

And, no more, ďLook Ma, itís Superman!Ē misdirection. They can burn you, and thereís nothing to see, or even suspect."

Allen said Barrie Richardson, Richard Busch, Millard Longman and Kenton Knepper have all contributed routines. And of course Allenís own work will be highlighted.

I hope this gives everyone a better idea of what to expect from "Allen Zingg's Master Billet Course." Allen has field tested this material over the course of his career in front of large audiences at formal events and in front of small groups during walk around gigs.

Allen always goes the extra mile in my experience. He loves to create, perform and teach. Attention to the smallest details and the important psychology that makes mentalism so powerful are evident in all of Allen's previous works.

The amount of documentation that accompanied his Limited Edition Zingg Wallet is a good example of his creativity and how prolific he is. I expect "Allen Zingg's Master Billet Course," to be just as original, clearly taught and full of amazing techniques and routines as his previous contributions to the field of mentalism.

Good Thoughts,

Bill
Message: Posted by: Pete Legend (Jul 30, 2006 02:17PM)
Your welcome Stuart.My current stage show incorporates one billet switch which to be honest Im very happy with and don't wish to add but the use of billets in a close up situation in front of press,agents,organisers etc could be priceless indeed!Im going to purchase both Stuart's and Allen's work on the subject.Both should be equally excellent and informative :)

Pete
Message: Posted by: ElliottB (Jul 30, 2006 05:11PM)
[quote]
On 2006-07-30 13:28, Bill Cushman wrote:
I just received some info from Allen Zingg that I thought folks might find helpful. His DVD set is called "Allen Zingg's Master Billet Course."

It includes 8 hours of material. There are 40 routines included. Thirty techniques are taught in detail.

Much of the DVD set is shot with 3 cameras so front, back and close-up angles can be seen and appreciated. Effects are performed in real world conditions and shot in a variety of venues.

Allen writes: "Iíve redesigned classic techniques, created original moves, and developed seamless routines to show you just how powerful and entertaining mentalism with billets can be. Iíll teach you step-by-step with performances in a variety of settings, detailed explanations and some amazing close-ups so that you get everything you need.

And, no more, ďLook Ma, itís Superman!Ē misdirection. They can burn you, and thereís nothing to see, or even suspect."

Allen said Barrie Richardson, Richard Busch, Millard Longman and Kenton Knepper have all contributed routines. And of course Allenís own work will be highlighted.

I hope this gives everyone a better idea of what to expect from "Allen Zingg's Master Billet Course." Allen has field tested this material over the course of his career in front of large audiences at formal events and in front of small groups during walk around gigs.

Allen always goes the extra mile in my experience. He loves to create, perform and teach. Attention to the smallest details and the important psychology that makes mentalism so powerful are evident in all of Allen's previous works.

The amount of documentation that accompanied his Limited Edition Zingg Wallet is a good example of his creativity and how prolific he is. I expect "Allen Zingg's Master Billet Course," to be just as original, clearly taught and full of amazing techniques and routines as his previous contributions to the field of mentalism.

Good Thoughts,

Bill

[/quote]

Youíre gonna make me go broke. Currently, thereís nothing I canít do when it comes to switching. Still, these DVDís are too darn tempting.

Must resist. Must resist . . .
Message: Posted by: Bill Cushman (Jul 30, 2006 05:54PM)
Elliot, the answer is obvious. Learn these routines and go and perform them for money and you'll end up ahead of the game. This is an idea you may not want to "must resist."

Good Thoughts,

Bill
Message: Posted by: ElliottB (Jul 30, 2006 07:01PM)
Good point.
Message: Posted by: Bill Cushman (Jul 31, 2006 04:45AM)
Here is some more info on Allen Zingg's Master Billet Course. There are five DVD's worth of material. Vol One is 2 hours, Vol Two may be two DVD's or a double sided DVD. Either way the total is 3 hours! Vol 3 is about 80 minutes and Vol 4 is 90 minutes. The price, shipping included, is $120.00 US & $130.00 overseas. As soon as Allen has a solid date, he'll let us know. It is now simply a matter of replication and packaging.
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Feb 26, 2007 03:31PM)
Have anyone received it yet?
Message: Posted by: chichi711 (Feb 26, 2007 03:40PM)
They are good mike you should get them.