(Close Window)
Topic: Hank Ball...Close Up?
Is a hank ball only suitable for stage...or could one be used in more close-up situation? (Say, sitting across a table from the spectator.)

The reason I ask is...I've seen these used on stage, and the productions look good from that distance. But, would the 'moves' and hand positions be more noticeable close-up?

Would something like a Sanada gimmick be better suited in that situation for silk productions?

Thanks,

Adam
I've seen Duane Laflin do silk vanishes at his booth using one, and I was just three feet away. Looked great!
Thanks for the reply...I was actually considering getting Duane Laflin's hank ball DVD.
I have his Palmo DVD - that's excellent!
Hmmm...would you recommend a Palmo over a hank ball?
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Aug 9, 2006 10:51AM)
For productions (especially close-up), I'd use the hank ball. While the Palmo could be used for productions, it would be more difficult because it's open on both ends. The Palmo is primarily used for color-changes and the like.

Best
For me, the hank ball is easier to manipulate and ditch than the Palmo. The Palmo will hold more cargo!

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I use the Palmo more than the hank ball. It is probably personal taste and the size of the hands using the gimmick.
Max
You do know that a Gobblin Tip manipulated like a cigarette works well, too?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Oct 5, 2006 09:07PM)
Hey Bob,

Please excuse my naivete, but what's a "Gobblin Tip"?
Hi.. somebody tell me what material is the hank ball ? Is it plastic or metal?
Michael,

Sorry I never saw your question. This is just an exaggerated thumb tip. Think HUGE!

Indomagic,

Good hank balls are made of metal. The problems is that most are painted high gloss. I don't know the reason for that. They are slippery and may flash.

What I really prefer using is the good ceramic egg gimmick from Silk to Egg. Most pros prefer the brown egg to the white one. The audience never sees it anyway. It is just easier to hold and handle, a better color and who would not rather be caught with an egg than some obvious gimmick?

Once you master any of these items you can vanish 18" square silks close-up as well as on stage. (I use this in walk-around.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Dick Gustafasin has some nice close up moves in his lecture notes..Howard
Bob, thanks for your comments. So do you know if Laflin hank ball is metal ?
[quote]
On 2007-06-20 00:24, indomagic wrote:
Bob, thanks for your comments. So do you know if Laflin hank ball is metal ?
[/quote]

I'm not Bob, But yes the Laflin Hank Ball is a metal ball.

ChrisG
What does it matter if it is plastic or metal??? Howard
Closeup work with a hankball or palmo definitely, if you know how to handle them. The steal of a hank ball or a palmo can be undetectable.

Wish someone made a metal one that was not gloss painted.

Bob's Brown Ceramic egg idea works good with some small adjustments in the handling. He is marketing a walk-around resettable version of silk to egg.
I thought metal should be more durable than plastic. I agree mat finshised will be better.
I personally prefer Laflin's hank ball as it is so versatile. I use it with sponge balls as well as silks. I own the palmo too, and it is great for color changes. It is most likely a personal preferance though.
Has anyone tried spraying the super-glossy hankballwith testers dullcote or similar? I'm wondering if it would cause problems sticking on the silks?

G.
Genghis,

Here in the USA flesh colored cloth Band-Aids can be effectively used. It improves the grip too!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Hi I must ask you, in one ebook called now you see it now you don't, it says you can use a ping pong ball, do you think that it would make some trouble because its plastic? I think it will work on small silks, and in few days I'm gonna try that but whats your opinion about ping pong ball as hank ball?
Ping pong balls work well for me and can be coloured flesh (desert sand)
You can get giant ping pong balls in the sporting goods section of K-Mart.
Back to the question of using the props close up:

The best situation is with the audience seated and the magician standing.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- There is no reason not to use sponge balls in the new ceramic eggs. The hole is much larger and it is larger than in many hank ball and palmo gimmicks. The egg will also hole a 24" Diamond Cut Silk! (That looks like a 36" square silk.)

On special order, the new ceramic eggs with loops are available!
If you are having problems with the hank ball being slippery, I have the answer to the problem. Use flesh colored liquid latex. It gives you the tackiness you need to hold on to the hank ball. I had ladies and children with small hands palming a hank ball with the liquid latex painted on at a silk magic lecture I did at a club meeting. Get a bottle from a store specializing in clown or theater make up. It is very cheap. Paint it on the hank ball with a cheap art type paint brush you can get at Walmart in the craft section. Let it dry (don't have any of your silks laying around when you are painting the latex on, it won't come out). When the latex gets old, it just peels off the hank ball with no problem and no mess.
Great idea...but I can't bring myself to ruin my Thayer hank ball...lol
Terry,

I hate to see collectables destroyed too!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Hello all!

For the record...YES! I have a Palmo Ball I bought from Silk King Studios. It's a matte finish, and I can vanish, make appear, and change colors of the silk right in front of you.

Sorry if I sound like I'm boasting, but the Palmo is the best silk tool I own. Thank you Ruth Rice!

best,

Doug
Dougini,

Bragging on things bought from Ruth isn't boasting. It's just fact recognition of a good decision!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2007-11-08 15:27, Terry Owens wrote:
Great idea...but I can't bring myself to ruin my Thayer hank ball...lol
[/quote]

I won't. The latex just peels right off.
You could use Jay Scott Berry's modifications to the Sanada, either the FS/2 or more conveniently the Cloaking Device to produce a small silk. I think that the maximum size would be an 18 inch diamond silk.

I've played with the Cloaking Device to produce a silk streamer and if handled carefully and casually, you can use it close up. In one of his routines JSB walks into the audience to have someone examine his piece of "nothing". He then produces the silk streamer when he gets the nothing back.
[quote]
On 2007-06-19 00:33, indomagic wrote:
Hi.. somebody tell me what material is the hank ball ? Is it plastic or metal?
[/quote] I made mine out of a plastic christmas bulb and painted it to match my skin type. I made 3 sizes. Good luck
I have never had problems with the glossiness or
the color. I think laflins hank balls and palmos are the best.

I do his (laflin) routines in any situation, Although I do like having a dump,
so modify that to "any situation with a surface"

In close up or busking I just go to my pockets.

laflin (please don't buy his stuff because it is easy to learn and definitve)
Likes his palmo best. He actually states that in his palmo DVD.

The beauty of the ball or palmo is that a huge final load can be
brought into play.
I have used ping pong balls, painted bright red like multiplying billiard balls and red silks.

Used them as close as 2 feet away, the spectators and I were all standing.

(I've also gotten good reactions to a white Fantasio vanishing candle at a distance of only about 4 feet away.)
Duane Laflin is just awesome using these hank balls.