(Close Window)
Topic: Influences (Question for Newbies)
Being interested in magic for more than 50 years, I'm curious to find out what influences beginners today. In my time, we had magicians who came to our schools, churches, carnivals, etc. So the question is... What influenced you to get into magic? Television? A relative? A friend?

Just curious.

Dave
David Blaine was my influence, as I'm sure he was a LOT of people's. I still remember the thoughts going through my head when he did 2 card monte and the quarter bite.

He's the one that got me into magic, but dosen't influence me as much anymore since I view him as more of a stuntman these days. Gregory Wilson and Cyril are probably my two current biggest influences.
Growing up they had shows like, the all stars of magic and I loved them. Then the masks magichian came aroud and the shows stop. I was always amazed by magic but did not know how to learn. Then when I got my job about a year and a half ago, there was a guy who did magic and I ask how I could learn, he said buy a book so I did and the rest is history, I am doing shows now and wouldn't have it any other way.

big tom
I have been into magic since I was a little kid, but back then I never really had the patience to practice. I was inspired by a couple of things. I'm almost embarassed to say that David Blaine initially resparked my interest, but it wasn't until my business partner did the lighting design for a Mark Kalin show in Reno...Carnival of Wonders. Now I would have to say Gregory Wilson has become a favorite of mine, and I have always been a Copperfield fan.
I've been interested in magic since I saw an illusion show when I was 6. I bought a few gimmicks and books. But my interest faded as other things got priority. And it has been revived recently (after 10 long years) by (guess whom!) David Blaine. Like lylaster said, the 2 card monte and coin bite were stunning before I started doing magic. The "impromptu" 2 feet lev seemed impossible.
In the 1960s, there was a magician who came a couple of times to our elementary school. That might have been the beginning of it for me. There was a magic shop close by, too. I subscribed to Genii through an ad in Boys Life when I was in Boy Scouts. Then there was Bill Bixby on TV as The Magician. I was aware of Mark Wilson at the time, too, and knew he was the show's magic consultant.

I moved into puppetry, though, more than magic, inspired by the Muppets. I incorporated a few magic bits into my puppet shows. In my town, though, another kid named Jon Stetson was making a name for himself locally, so anyone really interested in magic had Jon to compete with.

I became interested again when I realized that our local magic shop had been closed for twenty years now. I dug out all my props and books and decided to incorporate some period-style magic into my historical re-enacting.

Right now, my inspiration is Bill Palmer, though I know him only through his posts here and a few email messages.
For me, it was when I went to Las Vegas and a magician did the dice bomb trick for me. I still remember the way I reacted to that trick- shocked.

msc455magic
My father was my initial influence in magic. Although he wasn't a magician himself, he always showed an enthusiasm and support for my magic that seemed to bring us closer together. In fact, he was the one who broght me to my first magic store. He was the one who bought me my first magic kit. And whenever he went out of town, he would always drop into the local magic shops and bring me back a cool pocket tric.

So, my father was and remains the true inspiration for my magic.

Kent
I just started . I was doing some study about old fairs and I saw the cups and ball routine. I also always enjoyed to watch dutch magician Hans Kazan on TV. So it came from there :)
Interesting responses. Keep'em coming. My first influence was my uncle. He wasn't a magician, but while he was cleaning out his attic he came across an old trunk that had an egg bag and a book by Harry Blackstone (Sr.) He gave them to me, since his daughter wasn't interested. He also knew a little coin sleight which impressed me at the tender age of six (he pulled it out of my ear).

What clenched my interest, was when a magician came to the auditorium of our elementary school and performed for us third-graders. The only tricks I remember were Hippity Hop Rabbits and a Silk Frame. He took a silk stretched across a wooden frame, then stuck the frame in a paper bag... he then took a knife and plunged it through the center of the bag. When he pulled out the frame and silk in tact, it was pure magic... I was hooked!

Dave
I'm not a "newbie" by any means, but my first influence was when I was a wee youngster and watched my first David Copperfield special. I'm not sure if it was the Statue of Liberty vanish of walking through the Great Wall of China...maybe both, but since then I have been hooked. I watched every special since then and eagerly awaited each one every year. Come to think of it...he needs to make a NEW special soon. Anyways...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

:cheers:

Phil
The copy of Greater Magic I found in a used bookstore.

Regards
Always been interested but was turned off by a magician who said I didn't have the hands for it lol (learnt since that aint true). Since then I picked up hypnosis, but actually the Amazing Jonathan rekindled it lol
Im not really "newbie" but I just felt that I must reply =)
I Think it was David Copperfield, Penn & Teller and afterwards David Blaine.
Also these finnish magicians!!
+Timo Kulmakko
+Solmu Mkel
+Markku Purho
I am from Holland but the first time I really got the urge to get involved in magic is when I saw the first David Blaine special. It was the refreshing way he presented his magic that was great, real close up, no fancy dances etc, David wasn't in love with the camera (meaning he didn't want to be in the view all the time) but it was all about audience participation. I was used to see some simple close-up magic of not too high level on dutch tv, and some quite good stage magic (magic unlimited, hans klok, Criastian Farla) but stage magic didn't appeal to me that much.

After I got a start in magic Cyril's effects where the real shockers for me to see.
For me Paul Daniels was my first influence. He was big on TV when I was growing up and I had one of his magic sets. Tommy Cooper was also and inspiration. Later on David Blaine would have been an influence. I never liked his style but I did like some of his magic. When I saw T.H.E.M's TV special it really sparked my interest and I started to dabble in magic. And then last year when Keith Barry was all over Irish TV and I got his DVD for Christmas I decided to take it up seriously. He's from the same town as me I'm in a similar situation that he was in at my age, college graduate working in a good job that isn't exactly exciting, so I thought if he can do it, why can't I?
I first gt interested by watching Criss Angels show around a year ago. It was the levitation episode and seeing him levitate like that just floored me. Ever since then I have been hooked.
I was intersted from when I was small, my mum bought me a magic book but I didn't like it cos it wasn't very magical lol. although now I see it was a good book. wat made me get into magic this time was chris korn and jb benn, it was the only magic show they showed on tv it was called mondo magic.

they looked like they were having fun doing it and I loved how the ppl responded

I specially liked chris he but I couldn't do any of the stuff he did, but jb did mostly card tricks and I learned sum card sleights and learned by watching him do it, I watched every single repeat to figure out how it was done and practiced and did it with him on the 3rd repeat(they use to show 1 episode 3 times a week).

and then the show finished, they had bout 7 episodes, so after that I met owen thomas at a wap forum and he invited me to the Caf...........................................................
Wow! This post I started has gotten a lot more responses than I expected. Although I originally was curious about the influences of today's newbies, it's interesting to read posts from some ol' geesers like me.

There seems to be a common thread emerging. The most influence seems to come from magicians like Blaine who broke the stereotype of traditional magicians. Although my initial exposure to magic came from the magicians at school and church... the one who really sparked the level of interest I have today, came from Doug Henning in the early 70's. He also broke the mold of traditional magicians (long hair, wild colored clothes, hippie-type.) Until then, I thought most magicians had to wear a tuxedo and top hat. So I began doing stage shows for kids while wearing a colorful flowered shirt, tight blue-jeans and white shoes. LOL!!!

I guess we can assume that those magicians who have a style that is unconventional, seem to have the most influence when it comes to sparking interest in the art of magic. This knowledge might be useful to some of you beginners while you develop your own performing styles. Hopefully, you won't try to emulate the style of others (like Blaine and Henning). Maybe your style will be unique and different (without flowered shirts and white shoes.)

Dave
Criss Angel and Harry Anderson of "Night Court" fame are my main influences.
WIthout question, it was the magician who came to my elementary school in 1971. Got me hooked.
A magician who worked in the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas got me interested in magic, he gave me an old copy of Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic, which I still refer to today. I am happy to say that David Blaine had no influence on me.
My favorite influence is criss angel
One guy ... David Blaine. I remember seing his first special on TV. I tought the guy was the devil (LOL)

So Blaine caught my attention into magic, but it was my best friend who got me into doing some magic myself. It's Devilix, a member here on the Caf.

Anyway, Gary Kurtz got me into mentalism. I never saw that kind of magic before him. (Even if great mentalists were doing mentalism way before him). After that I discover great minds of mentalism like Osterlind, Maven, Banachek, Hickock, Anneman, Hilford, etc.

So to make it short and sweet:

Into magic: Blaine
Into Mentalism: Kurtz
Into making magic myself: My best friend

Danik
A Harry Blackstone Jr. deluxe model magic kit circa 1979. The picture of him on the front looked like a cool uncle of mine went to jail- he taught me some magic before he went away, and then Blackstone did the rest. It was a really nice set, not at all "el-cheapo" like later ones I saw.

As a kid I always loved Doug Henning's fantasy themed magic.

Penn and Teller brought magic into my adult life as something other than "rabbit-outta-the-hat" and "pick-a-card-any-card" type stuff (which I could do, and I was getting a bit bored of, to tell the truth) and scantily-clad-ladies-being-tormented-by-power-tools-on-stage (which was a little out of my league, and probably did some damage to my developing geeky psyche, come to think of it...)

My adult magic influences include Docc Hilford, Eugene Burger, Max Maven, Greg wilson, Ted Anneman... I think I'll stop as that list could go on and on for quite some time.
Ive had many influenecs..

friends for one. my one friend the same age as me actually got me into doing card stuff and then from that I evolved into the bigger magic I do today!

Also a couple Magi I have seen on TV like David and Dania, Nathan Burton and kieth berry.

I wish I was able to say school shows but one day I was doing a play (9 month play about an hour away from me) and I had to do it I believe 3-5 times a week. well one day I went did the play and when I came back was told that two awsome magicians were there and did a 2 Hour show! I asked me teach and it was true! I hope to someday see the show that I missed that was performed my "The Magically Hip" and the show was called "Just Say MO"
For years I always had a passing interest in magic.
Henning and Kreskin were on T.V. quite a lot so I'd have to say that some influence came from them.

My real interest peaked from a co-worker back in the 80s who, while not a magician, ran some cons back in his day and had some magic effects and material to show me.
After that I saw the "The Stars of Magic" tape featuring Roth, Harris, Harris and Dingle and that was it.
My first spark was watching Mark and Nani Wilson every Saturday morning on CBS in the '60s. The Magic Land of Alakazam was the name of his show, and my favorite part was his close-up magic that he did when he went into the audience. I remember going to the library and reading books on magic. A magic kit for Christmas one year really got the fire going. After seeing "The Great Houdini" starring Tony Curtis, I began researching everything about Houdini and all the great magicians of the past. I always had an interest in magic when I was young but always as a hobby. In the '70s I met Paul Diamond while attending the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale. He owned a magic shop and it was he who really sparked my interest in SOH with cards and coins. He was sort of my mentor and I would spend hours (and money :rotf: ) at his shop. I met quite a few people in that shop including Duke Stern and Jerry Mentzer. During the '80s I joined the Navy and my interest waned. My interest was rekindled once again after seeing David Blaine on TV. It still is a hobby for me and it keeps my hands busy.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> :)
This may sound a little old school but I got my intrest in magic when a migicain came and preformend magic for my Kindergarden class when M was the letter of the week it also didn't help that the magician was my dad and now he is kinda like my mentor.

ASHLEY TAGGERT
daghter of "Michael Taggert"
user name 'micheal taggert'
I first got into it in the 70's when Henning was on television for the same reasons as mentioned above. Growing up in south Alabama, there weren't any shops or mentors so I lost interest. When I got married and started raising our children, I got back into it and love doing things for them and their friends. My oldest is 14 and youngest of the 5 is three, so I have a wide audience from the "Criss Angel" sect to the PBandJ and Hippity Hop Rabbits sect.
When I was a kid growing up in NY I used to go to Tannen's Magic and check out some of the stuff, but then put the whole thing down for decades, and am only recently picking it up again.
My influece were the local magicians here ar Bogota, they are amazing! Henry K, El Mago Richard, really heavy hitters in latin american Magic Circles.
I was first introduced to magic about 20 years ago. I was given magic sets as a young child, usually marketed under Blackstone's name, and even got a chance to see Blackstone Jr. live. I'm not sure when Copperfield's first TV performance was, but I always looked foward to his specials. I don't recall exactly which initially influenced me.

ADDED:
Actually, I recall a TV show from my early childhood that may have been my influence. I can't remember the name so if anybody knows, I'd be greatfull. I may even post this as a fresh post. It's from the early 80's... Children went to some "shop" of some sort where the shopkeep had a bookcase that opened up and they walked down an underground corridor where the shopkeep (or some other character, I don't recall) taught how to perform magic tricks. I've been trying to find out what this show was for the longest time.
For showmanship, you have to give Copperfield his props (dawg). But I am actually influenced by each and every person I see perform magic. Whether good or bad, they influence me about style, presentation, etc. I try to take something away from each and every performance I view.
DaddyDoodle,
I appreciate your comments about magicians who influence you. What I was trying to find out is who influenced you (as a newcomer) to take up magic in the first place? Who was the first magician you saw that made you think, "Hey... that's cool... I think I'll learn how to do some of that stuff."
Thanks again.
Dave
Seeing Doug Henning on TV as a kid introduced me to a whole new world of amazement and wonder
I think the single largest influence to return to the magical world was a visit I made to the Magic Castle in 2003. While I cannot remember the names of the performers, the atmosphere and sense of awe on the part of the audience reminded me of a more innocent time in life when everything was shiny and new and mysterious.

And as I previously stated, probably Copperfield would have to be the singular influence that reminds me of that time....
Copperfield...Whats new?After that South African magician Martino.Later I saw Tommy Wonder,Paul Harris,Michael Ammar,Dai Vernon,David Roth,Bill Malone and Richard Osterlind on tape/DVD.This sealed it for me(although I have to admit Blaine was up there).
Today I look up to many of the above plus Fayaad(a South African magician who I regard as the best sleight of hand magician this side of Vernon),Annemann,Marlo.
AJ
David Blaine. I saw his first special, I thought it was awesome. The guy could leviate and make stuff vanish right on the streets (:O). I wanted to be able do that.

There was also some magicians that would come do shows at my school. I don't remember their names. Heck, I don't remember any of their acts. I can only assume I liked 'em in some way.

Oh, and I loved those World's Greatest Magicians specials. There was one guy on there, he did a bunch of gag acts, like throwing a bowling ball into the audience (actually a black balloon). He also explained why never to eat popcorn on the beach. That guy had it going for em.
I used to love magic as a kid, I remember asking my parents to buy me some tricks book LOL... then I more or less forgot it, but got a book by chance in my grandparents' house... then I went out again lol (magic seems to always call me... lol) and I saw Criss Angel O_O lol, I'd say my main influence on magic is Bernard Bilis , though, his skills are great on cards :D
35 years ago I met Damon Steiger, a magician in his late 20's. He ran a local shop and never hesitated to teach a youngster much more than the typical directions contained. Can you imagine a shop owner who actually wouldn't sell you a trick if he didn't think you would like it? Yes, I know there are others like him out there... but not many.

I love to watch the modern magicians, but when I think of real magicians, it's the guys like Damon who not only have the talent, but also the real love for magic and the people they are performing for (and teaching).
Rick
I would have to say that Eugene Burger and Jeff McBride were the most influential in becoming a full time pro.
I'm not sure of his name but I just remember being a young kid and this GREAT Magician made sponge balls multiply in MY hand!!! I wasn't aware that anyone could learn and just put it down to the fact that he must have been born a magician. Then one day (many years later) I stumbled across a magic shop and nearly wet my pants with delight. I've been into magic on and off ever since.
You know, I'm not a real fan of their stunts, but lately I've been enjoying the impromptu stuff by David Blaine and Criss Angel. While I realize that they enjoy the luxury of having a camera that can adjust angles, it is good viewing to see their interactions with people.

And while, as I said, I'm no fan of their stunts, but you have to give those 2 credit for doing things basically after the same pattern as Houdini. His escapes were largely PR boosts to his name and allowed him to be recognized for the more traditional magic.
Oh, man.
There was (originally) a magi who always performed at my mom's company picnics. Then, when I got older (to around 3rd or 4th grade), I actually go to help him unload his truck before his set. As I grabbed a case, I looked up and noticed a bird cage, holding doves for the Dove Pan that he always used (and always floored me). That realization got me interested. Then, there were the "World's Greatest Magician" specials on TV with Mac Brown as the MC. There I saw the Pendragons.....

Oh man, the Pendragons. Their Metamorphosis and their person through a person thing... It was never enough for me to just say "oh, man I wish I knew how they did that?" I had to find out. I've been hooked ever since.

PS I'm still trying to figure out that person through a person thing..........
David Copperfield was the first magician I saw that really got me interested in Magic. I tried learning a couple things when I was young but quickly lost interest and got into computers instead because I could learn it faster. I got somewhat interested again when David Blaine started making his shows, but I thought he was a little too weird for me, especially how "physically exhausted" he was after each effect. Then I started watching Mindfreak, and that is what really got me into learning magic again. I know there are people out there that don't like him, and I definitely don't agree with everything he does, but he got me more focused on getting the amazed/astonished reaction from people than the tricks themselves. And the more I learn, the more I find out about other amazing magicians and how amazing the whole magic community is.
I was at a neopagan event and attended a dramatic show by Magnus (Jeff McBride). It left a great impression on me. Recently the film "The Illusionist" and a few other events conspired to send me in the direction of learning more about magic. It's quite an interesting subculture!

Best,
-Ananda.
My Grandfather. He used to do shows for us everytime we visited him in New Jersey. He put on some great performances and I remember the "Zombie" in paticular, he did it with a spooky theme and it was great! I went to a couple of magic conventions with him at an early age which sparked my interest even more and emptied my piggy bank. Unfortunately where I live there were no magic shops even remotely close (Upstate NY) and the internet wasn't around back then. My Grandfather gave me a custom magic set for Christmas one year, so I tinkered with what I had at the time. As I got older I put magic on the back of my mind only pulling it out every now and then. Then came college, marriage and now kids and I have found my love for magic again. I do so small shows for my kids and hope to expand to friends and family and eventually I would love to do kids shows, birthdays and other special events.
My Grandfather. He used to do shows for us everytime we visited him in New Jersey. He put on some great performances and I remember the "Zombie" in paticular, he did it with a spooky theme and it was great! I went to a couple of magic conventions with him at an early age which sparked my interest even more and emptied my piggy bank. Unfortunately where I live there were no magic shops even remotely close (Upstate NY) and the internet wasn't around back then. My Grandfather gave me a custom magic set for Christmas one year, so I tinkered with what I had at the time. As I got older I put magic on the back of my mind only pulling it out every now and then. Then came college, marriage and now kids and I have found my love for magic again. I do so small shows for my kids and hope to expand to friends and family and eventually I would love to do kids shows, birthdays and other special events.
My early childhood influences were a magician that did a show at my local church and a friend of the family that worked part-time as a clown. Saw 'The Magician' on TV and several specials with Doug Henning and Blackstone Jr. Even the Ed Sullivan show peaked my interest. I can still remember Topo Gigio and Lambchop. To me, all of it was pure magic.

Later, I did get 'The Amateur Magician's Handbook' while in high school and tried to learn some tricks from it, but had problems handling the cards (Still do, due to my palm size). I also read quite about about the magicians of the past and found their lives fascinating.

It wasn't until the late 90's that a friend of mine, who now goes by the stage name of 'Dave Carl' did some tricks when we both worked for Lucent Technologies. He was impressed with my knowledge of magic and many of the historical figures that made the gendre possible. He told me all about the big magic convention held in Columbus every year called Magifest. It has been a major love affair ever since.
One of my friends who is a member of the Young Magicians Club (based here in London) says his favourite magician and greatest influence is Jay Sankey. Jay and his releases are very popular amongst the YMC and young magicians at large. It's good that Jay responds to many beginners' FAQs on his website as well, helping with their learning and so on.

Thanks

Chris
My first inspiration to learn magic myself came from Teller. In one of their books (I gave it away and I can't remember the title) he talks about practicing the cups and balls late into the night with old cups and balls made from tin foil.

I decided that would be something cool to learn, and it was the start of a great adventure.

(On a side note, I wish I'd kept the book because I've forgotten who magician was that Teller was staying with and which famous magician the beat up old cups had belonged to. If anybody has the book and could help me out, I'd like to know. Thanks)
My first taste of magic was from a tourist magic shop in New Orleans. The guy was performing with Ricky the Raccoon and did Scotch & Soda for me. From that point on, my interest was piqued. But that was twenty some years ago. Now I am rekindling that passion.
Like Epsilon97, my passion is rekindled after many years. Past influences? Doug Henning, Harry Blackstone Jr., David Copperfield and although he was a lousy magician; Houdini. I still remember the report I did on Erich Weiss way back in grade school.

I used to get a magic catalog as a kid called Holiday of Magic that my friend and I loved. There was a trick in there called the Lollapalooza- that word cracked us up. After fumbling around with cheap magic junk as a kid I drifted away from magic until recently; when I realized that magic can be fun, entertaining, challenging, fun, rewarding, fun and fun. And as a Christian it is another way for me to share the gospel or teach kids bible lessons.
I've always enjoyed watching TV magic, and the biggest TV magician of my generation for the UK is undoubtedly Paul Daniels. However, what got me into trying to learn magic just a couple of months ago was Julian Mathers website. I can't recall how I stumbled across it, or what I was searching for, but it struck a chord and I was hooked! :)
I think like a lot of magicians my age one of my big influences was watching the huge David Copperfield specials on TV as a kid. I was also, as a child, picked from the audience once at a state fair to help with a cut and restored rope routine, so I've known from an early age how entertaining a live magic show can be.
Andre- thanks for mentioning Tommy Wonder. Now that I'm back into doing magic I actually saw some of his stuff for the very first time only a couple years ago. What an amazing performer! His ambitious card plus ring box is fantastic- well; really, everything I've seen of his looks great. The way he uses misdirection in the cups and balls is incredible. Love Tommy Wonder.
I am a beginner - when I was a kiddie I used to watch Paul Daniels (he was the biggest magician here back then), and used to love it. My dear parents bought me a magic set, but unfortunately it was a bit rubbish, and that essentially was the end of it until last year (nearly 30 yrs later...). A combination of being floored at a wedding by what I now know is the Inv****** D*** (still love it), and watching "fool us" on TV - said to the Mrs "I always wanted to learn magic", and she (very cleverly) said, "well why don't you". You can't argue with that. So Paul Daniels, an unnamed wedding magician in Chester, and Teller doing Misers Dream.