(Close Window)
Topic: Color Monte
I know that this may not be considered a "packet trick" but I love it! The handling is so simple and the effect is jaw dropping for spectators. I get a better response off of CM than I do performing NFW or the Asher twist. I just wish that the cards would last a bit longer. I've purchased two sets now and the colors on my second set are beginning to fade away.
I agree, Color Monte is one of the best packet tricks around.

Yes, it would be nice if the cards were to last longer. Since they don't, maybe that way they know they will be able to sell more??? Hmmm...

Mark.
You can do the same effect with regular cards. I use 'two' jokers, since decks come with 2.
Magicjack, you're not alone. Check out this thread (only one of many here on a similar topic)...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=35254&forum=201&start=0

Color Monte got about 30 votes over 6 pages. Truly one of the great, timeless packet tricks. You simply have good taste. :)
I mentioned this in the patter section before, but did not get any comments:

--------------
After reading through over 30 threads on "Color Monte" it seems that nobody has suggested the very simple idea of using: a joker, a black ace (spades), and a RED ten of hearts.

The patter obviously has a 40% reduction in the wager (one bet less), and that red card really contrasts well with the joker & ace of spades. It produces the same gasps as the original, and actually works better under poor lighting.

Fully impromptu, from any full deck.
--------------
Great suggestions Meyegr and Frog52...Thanks!

Mark.
I do a similiar impromptu effect but with 1 Joker, not 2:

Put the Joker on top of the deck. Slip-cut it to anywhere the spectator says "Stop". Thumb off 3 cards (including the Joker) to the table face-down (arrange the Joker back to the top of the 3 card packet). Do the Color Monte routine, explaining how 1 card is located at 3 different postions. Repeat it with the other card. Finally say that you are not just dealing with these 2 jokers flipping from position to position.... But Here's the 3rd Joker (show the hidden Joker).

COLOR MONTE is absolutely the best card packet routine out there.... The cheap price is just a bonus.
For me the beauty of Color Monte is that they're not cards you find in a regular deck. To me this makes more sense as to why they're in a wallet.

The included patter is a terrific guide for presenting it, the green ending is great and it's all examinable.
Talk about "pack small-play big"......it doesn't get much better than CM!
R. Paul Wilson has a great color monte type effect using Tarot Cards and really neat handling!
Color Monte has been in my "bag of tricks" for years. It's always been a great worker for me. In fact, I performed it earlier today for some family I haven't seen in awhile, and it got wonderful reactions.

Kevin
I agree with Jaz here. I think that the bright, foil-like colors of the CM cards take them out of the realm of your "basic" card effects.
I still have my Jim Temple Color Monte that I bought way back in the late 70s. I attended a Jim Temple lecture at a local shop and watched his handling and was so impressed I bought it on the spot along with his lecture notes (which I also still have). I carried the Color Monte with me for a long time finding it to be a great impromptu effect that always seemed to astound. I see now it is available in poker size Bicycle cards (my old cards are bridge size). I think I will wander over to an online shop and order a new set right now... thanks for bringing back some great memories.
[quote]
On 2006-09-02 17:15, Salby wrote:
I do a similiar impromptu effect but with 1 Joker, not 2:

Put the Joker on top of the deck. Slip-cut it to anywhere the spectator says "Stop". Thumb off 3 cards (including the Joker) to the table face-down (arrange the Joker back to the top of the 3 card packet). Do the Color Monte routine, explaining how 1 card is located at 3 different postions. Repeat it with the other card. Finally say that you are not just dealing with these 2 jokers flipping from position to position.... But Here's the 3rd Joker (show the hidden Joker).

COLOR MONTE is absolutely the best card packet routine out there.... The cheap price is just a bonus.
[/quote]

What I mentioned above only uses 1 also, just appearing to be 2.

I agree that the color monte cards are great, I use it all the time too. I just mentioned it can be done with ordinary cards if you do not want to replace the original monte cards all the time.
I also use the jokers. It's just as powerful, and you can set up from any deck, as all decks have 2 jokers, as was already pointed out. That said, if you buy a deck of blank-front cards, you can make many convincing versions, albeit slightly modified.
[quote]
On 2006-09-01 21:02, meyegr wrote:
You can do the same effect with regular cards. I use 'two' jokers, since decks come with 2.
[/quote]

I use the same idea. I don't keep them in a wallet, I just take them out of the deck. I use the same moves, different story with a selected card instead of $14 card. If you use Bikes, you have to have 2 decks as the jokers are different styles.
Try taking the cards out of a regular deck and use a regular ace of spades, a regular joker....and the $14 card. Big reaction when the $14 card comes up at the end after using normal cards for the entire trick.
According to Arthur Emerson, Color Monte was the best selling packet trick ever. Not sure of how many,Anyone know ?
Rennie
This is a great effect indeed. I took my old CM cards and took some bright colored sticker paper and glued new diamonds on them. The colors look fresh as new...
Right,
With colored adhesives and white bicycle cards you can refresh your old color Monte. And even change the currency !
Just for the record (once again) doing "Color Monte" with real playing cards is not "Color Monte", it's the trick "Color Monte" was based upon, "Three Card Monkey Business" by Bill Elliot.

If you do the handling of "Three Card Monkey Business"/"Color Monte" with a selection, or without the monte/gambling patter, then you are doing Ed Marlo's "Quick Three Way" effect, which is the source of the one as three display used on the other two tricks.
I, too, love Color Monte and have made a parlor size version with blank cards and markers. It is such a great trick I thought it would be good for a larger audience. I also have composed a poem to recite when performing the trick. It has a great rhythym, rhyme, and a sly sense of humor. If you are interested in it, PM me as I will not put it in a thread. I would be interested in some feedback from real users.
Just my two cents here... Color Monte is the kind of trick I would never be interested in - and LOVE to perform. It's not my stye, with the colors, and the gaffiness, and the pun. But spectator's melt over this routine and it's as clever as they come. Foiled with a regular three card monte routine it's the most surprisingly powerful trick I own.
I always carry my own made up version in my wallet,i use a joker,a red queen and a blank faced card with 14 written on it for the kicker.
I use it for the show me a trick moment's when all I have on me is my wallet,it is with out doubt one of the all time great packet tricks which is standing the test of time.
Jay Sankey's version, X's and O's ( from his live DVD ), is the best version I've seen/used.

Chris
I found a guy that makes cards locally and I drew some new ones and when he printed them off, he placed a thin layer of lamination on them. Now they last a lot longer!
I use to do the Color Monte with special cards that I printed for myself (its cool when you can produce you own ideas ;))

My parents have been to Las Vegas and so I told them that they MUST go to MacKing and they did. They liked it that much that they went there even a second time. I asked them to bring me a DVD of his show because I only read a lot about him but had never the chance to see him performing. And what did they bring me? His suitcase-o-magic! This is a package for kids but worth every penny. There is even a comic book with tricks in it. And there I got the idea to do a monkey monte.

So I show two males with green trousers on and one "male" dressed in women clothes. (for kids it is a female) And I do the pattern of "find the lady". But first I miss to find her, then I always find her and do as I totally screwed up the trick. Then I turn over both cards and ask, what the monkey in the middle wears. So I tell them what I wear and turn over the card. It is my comic face with my name on. The real nice thing: this version works great for kids, they really love it because the cards are colourful, the story is funny and - as MacKing sayed - Magic with a Monkey is always funnier. ;)

As I am just producing my new packet tricks there will also be this monkey monte, but not with Lewis the Monkey, because MacKing could not give me his permission (copyright issues). But the other monkeys will be cool also. I am so escited!!!

Christian
[quote]
On 2006-09-02 15:22, frog52 wrote:
I mentioned this in the patter section before, but did not get any comments:

--------------
After reading through over 30 threads on "Color Monte" it seems that nobody has suggested the very simple idea of using: a joker, a black ace (spades), and a RED ten of hearts.

The patter obviously has a 40% reduction in the wager (one bet less), and that red card really contrasts well with the joker & ace of spades. It produces the same gasps as the original, and actually works better under poor lighting.

Fully impromptu, from any full deck.
--------------

[/quote]

This is a great idea but wouldn't it be two less bets?
Magic w/Hart,

Yes, two fewer bets. I always preferred to limit the con man's patter to the "not here" phase and skipped the "here it is" phases. Funny, but I do CM exactly like frog52 using the ten for $10 owed. Great minds, eh frog. As an alternative, I will use a king instead of the ten and change the patter to reflect that the monte man who showed this little game called himself the King of Cards. At the end he says "that's why I'm the King of Cards" as he turns over the king.

-Feral
I have found spectators love this trick too.
I do the bottom (nope),top(nope), middle(nope) don't have(nope) and 4 cards (nope) to get to $5 part. At this point, I show money is on bottom.
This leaves 2 options. Really place it on table and do MT or do glide and patter how he asked what color is this one? so if this is red this must be blue? I'm sorry, this is red and this is blue.($7) I eliminate showing all the cards to be the MONEY Card. When tabling the for the finally, you can add a quick in hands mexican top change turn-over in hands (daryl) or flustration. Again, a true keeper where you end up clean.
This is one of the first tricks I learnt with cards. I am only on my second set. The colours don't seem to fade too badly on mine. Are you keeping yours in the wallet?
As mentioned above, R. Paul Wilson's handling of CM using Tarot cards is a truly inspired idea.

In the correct environment it becomes a VERY powerful piece of magic with a presentation that gives the effect a great 'hook', but without being too heavy.

Well worth tracking down...

AW
I perform this routine for Christmas using the Color Monte routine. I mad up the cards myself.

View This Post

Rich B.
Sorry, I didn't know how to post a link. Do a search for Grinch Monte if you are interested.

Rich B.
No magician who has ever seen the lay reaction to this trick will look down on it. Of countless packet tricks that now live in my junk drawer, this is the only one I use. I have worn out six or seven sets.
Yeah color monte is awesome, especially when you flip over that 14 dollar card. I really like Paul Wilson's version of it too.
Where can I find Wilson's handling for Color Monte?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa
See Gypsy Monte [url=http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=6992&cat=0&page=1]HERE[/url] ...
Color Monte is a classic. But....if you want to stun them, do Jay Sankey's X's and O's. It takes the trick to a another level.
Wilson's Gypsy Monte is on his Knock 'em Dead dvd.
Chris I will definitely chek out the Sankey's version. I really like the color monte and I am always looking for different handelings for it.
You could also check out Garrett Thomas dvds volume 2, thinking off hand. He too has a handeling for this classic effect.

Michael
[quote]
On 2007-01-15 16:00, MagicChris wrote:
Color Monte is a classic. But....if you want to stun them, do Jay Sankey's X's and O's. It takes the trick to a another level.
[/quote]
Chris, is this a different handling of a standard set of Color Monte cards?
I see it's only on a DVD, which implies it doesn't use custom or pre-made cards. (if it does, I can't find the cards anywhere!)
[quote]
On 2007-01-16 23:14, silverking wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-01-15 16:00, MagicChris wrote:
[/quote]
Chris, is this a different handling of a standard set of Color Monte cards?
I see it's only on a DVD, which implies it doesn't use custom or pre-made cards. (if it does, I can't find the cards anywhere!)
[/quote]

It's in print and also from Jay Dankey LIVE DVD. Not the usual "Diamond" color cards.
I have the Sankey Live DVD and indeed Jay's X's & O's is a killer effect. It says it's Jay's "for pros only" version of Color Monte with a signed card. I have not done this effect for awhile. Now I've to do this again as I remember it's a great effect!
[quote]
[/quote]

Same Here. Everything looks genuine and the effect is authentic.
I used to love this trick but since then I have found better tricks to use for a monte routine. Since I only like to do one monte trick in my set I chose not to use this one but I still use it every now and then when someone wants to see just one more trick. It works great to use a gambling routine to finish with.
I always carry Color Monte with me. Fun to perfom and has never failed to receive a great reaction.

Joe
I also love Color Monte. I have been doing it since the 70's and it kills. The only thing is that the red color on the backs of my cards has run on to the faces.
I guess that I'll have to get a new set.
John
I do a version presented as a "tutorial" on 3-card monte (why you shouldn't ever play).

I show 2 blank cards (or jokers) and an Ace which the spectator must try to find in the end. But first I explain the rules of the game and in the process show all the cards as blank and then all as Aces, finally ending with the usual kicker of an unusual card appearing in the end (such as 14 of spades).

(This can even be down impromtu with cards from an ordinary deck.)

I have also changed the handling to eliminate the odd unnatrual looking move used in the marketed version (card sliding off the back).

If anyone is interested in the patter and improved handling, please PM me and I can send you my write-up.
I agree with everyone about what a great trick colour monte is, I do the exact same handling but with cards with THIS, THAT and The Other written on it. I think Paul Daniels did this on Tv years ago. One blank deck and a sharpie and you've got 17 sets.
Color Monte is still one of my favorites. I like it because it is a simple monte to learn. Color Monte never fails to get a reaction from the spectators. It's a great effect. If I had to use only one monte, it would probably be Color Monte.
Just a small point that I made in another thread elsewhere...
It's worth an update on the $14 card - this effect came out in the 1970's, so I've written on a blank face card '$140' (with green sharpie) to replace the modest sum of $14 (actually 140 as I'm in the UK). So my patter is that each bet at every phase of the routine has cost $10/10. My hand written card I grant you doesn't look as good as the embossed/foil printed ones but I use it anyway with as I say a green sharpie "You lose 140" (I do not draw a stack of bills). I also like some people have said sometimes use a joker which I show 2 times, an ace of diamonds as the money card -plus the ace of spades as the kicker card.
I've been doing it since it was relatively new in the 70's, and after all theese years, I finally bought some new cards last year, and happily saw them printed on Bicycle backs.

As an adder to the effect, I put the $14 gaff in a deck, and pretend to pull out 2 black aces and a red ace and really pull one black and one red and the gaff. Or, I'll pull a black ace and the Queen of Hearts since in the real 3 card montes on the streets of NY (where I grew up), the QH was always the money card.

Anyway, pulling the three from a real deck just adds that little touch that helps the impact of the final reveal.
Doesn't that give something away? If you imply 2 black aces, at some point in the routine you would show each of the aces, but the handling only allows for one of the aces - that's why I use the joker[s} and ace of diamonds instead..........
Forgot, I just tell em I got an extra black ace. No one has ever questioned it, and it adds a little more legitimacy than the diamonds which can telegraph gaff to those hard-***ses who think they know it all. I'd thought about using jokers, but just never got 'round to it.
Message: Posted by: TheAstonishingLarry (Jul 16, 2008 07:21PM)
I wanted to share my presentation of this true classic.

My "payout" card says, "You Owe Me $50!" and I set it up this way:

I've shortened the presentation a bit since I do it with the Henry Christ Alignment Move and I've always thought that move was a bit odd ... especially doing it twice ... so I cut out the second phase.

[Lead into the trick with your standard patter.] "And while he was explaining the rules he slid the money card to the bottom of the stack ... now I had played some cards before and it was obvious what he had just done, so I started thinking this was going to be some easy money. And then the guy looks me in the eye and asks me where the money card is. And do you know what I said?"

At this point I sometimes get a blank look, but usually the spectator will say, "It's on the bottom?"

I continue ... "No, that's what I wish I had said, but instead I said, 'Why don't we make it five dollars a pop.' You see, I just knew I was going to take this guy to the bank."

Well, you get the idea ...

1. It's on the bottom. No, you owe me $5.
2. It's on the top. No, you owe me $10.
3. Must be in the middle. No, you owe me $15.
4. Wait a minute, you got rid of the money card. No, it's right here on the bottom, you owe me $20
5. You're using more than three cards. No, one - two - three. You owe me $25

And then the double or nothing phase ... you owe me $50!
I always do it using the THIS 'N' THAT cards and patter. Check out the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tScm-eZInBE
This is one of the first magic effects I learnt to do! I still use it today in walkabout shows or on the street! In walkabout (restuarants etc) I will use the actual CM cards, but if someone asks to see a card trick I will normally do it with Jack Hearts, King Hearts and a Joker! Great Trick, I find the patter really works too!
I really like color monte..it gets a great reaction every time I do it..i will sometimes just use some cards from a normal deck also if I don't have the actual cards with me.. one of my fav packet tricks
I have been doing it for 30 years great trick.
I love it too, and I'm in the "Jokers and red ace" camp. I found with the actual color (colour) monte cards, in certain lighting conditions, the colours were quite hard to distinguish because of the shininess.
A friend of mine had an interesting approach:

He'd do CM exactly as written up with the cards from the marketed routine. At the end, after showing the $14, he said, "Wow, I guess I do, but give me a chance to win my money back. You see, I, too, have 3 cards..." and he'd remove Skinner's Ultimate 3-card Monte and go into that routine. I never did it that way, but it played really well for him, and if you concur with Darwin Ortiz' theory that the magician should always win, then you might like it.
I love Skinner's Ultimate 3-Card Monte, but never thought to use it with CM. Breaking out CM now and working on it.
[quote]
On 2007-05-27 11:53, Paul Wingham wrote:
I agree with everyone about what a great trick colour monte is, I do the exact same handling but with cards with THIS, THAT and The Other written on it. I think Paul Daniels did this on Tv years ago. One blank deck and a sharpie and you've got 17 sets.
[/quote]

THIS, THAT, and The OTHER is a great trick because of it's routine. The basic idea why these two tricks work with lay audience because it segues to an ending. Without the $14 card in the end, it loses that kicker. That's what made Color Monte a lasting favorite for years.
[quote]
[/quote]

Good idea. I use a Pinochle deck for the same reason, and have found there are a number of effects that can be strengthened with that deck...