(Close Window)
Topic: Spelling Mistakes
In the 'welcome' section, it is requested that users not type posts full of spelling mistakes. Everybody has a slip up now and again (whether mental or physical), but I recently shared a tip (by PM) with a user who was getting slated for his spelling. My tip seems to have made a difference, so I thought I'd share it around.
After typing a post, I cut and paste it into an email and then, spell-check it. I amend if necessary and then, cut and paste it back. I know there's loads of programs that will check grammar as well, so that would be even better, but everyone's got email spell-check. And, hey, it's a start.
The best thing is that it takes seconds to do.

Regards to all, Mike
Thanks, Mike. Great suggestion.

I'll let you in on a little program (free) that I use that will eliminate the cut and paste steps. It's an IE spell checker that is, basically, a small utility program that can check the spelling of anything being typed in Internet-based programs, such as the Magic Café.

Here is the link:

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Just download the small (1.96 MB) file and follow the directions.

Once installed, after typing something, just "right click" with your cursor in the text block and select "check spelling." The program will then let you know if everything is OK and, if not, let you replace whatever is wrong with the corrections - just like any other spell checker.

I have been using this little program for years. The price is right (FREE), it is small, taking up very little space on my hard drive, and is really easy to use (again, just a right click with the mouse).

Hope this helps. Mark. :)
Great, the more stuff like this we use, the less deciphering we'll have to do. :)
I often visit the Café from a friend's computer, but at such a small file size I'm sure he'll let me install it.

Is it possible for Internet Café users to use this?

Also, not everybody uses I.E. (e.g. FireFox), so if anybody out there knows of other utilities, then this is the place to post them.
I believe this little utility file will work on all machines, regardless of what search engine they use. All Café members should be OK.

I suppose one could debate whether it works on a Mac or not. I, personally, don't know since I use a PC, but would be interested in finding out.

Mark.
[quote]
Also, not everybody uses I.E. (e.g. FireFox), so if anybody out there knows of other utilities, then this is the place to post them.
[/quote]

For FireFox, I think the standard is set by Spellbound (and the name is apposite): http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/ . I haven't used it, but good things have been said about it. (mrunge:) It's probably not worth debating whether or not a tool for IE works on the Mac - I think the last IE release for the Mac was 4.5, 5 or 6 years ago. The FireFox extension should work on Macs, and Safari has built in spell checking - it can be enabled under the Edit menu.
The Google tool bar has spell check specifically for this purpose.
It also works for any online form.
If your Google toolbar does not have it, it can easily be added.
Thanks, Mike. Your tip was great, but it is true, and I know it isn't just lots of people make mistakes, you just have to watch yourself.
Ashley
Of course, there's always the problem of the ones the spell checker won't catch. ;-)

I notice that this is a PHP powered board, and most of those have spell checking built-in. Perhaps the Café doesn't have enough server horsepower to enable it?

Now, what I'd really like to see is a grammar checker. I often find the misuse of to/too/two and there/their more annoying than spelling mistakes. But then, perhaps that's because I'm a transplanted Brit and long ago gave up any hope of teaching Americans how to spell words like colour anyway. :)
On the subject of grammar, you could always write the post in a Word document, and then paste it across - it all depends on how much value you place on it.
If you don't give a hoot about all that English 'stuff,' then you probably won't even bother with my first suggestion.
BTW, Jon, if you come across any of my posts, you will probably notice that I use American spellings and terms (if I'm aware of the difference).
Color, favorite, pants, etc.
This is because:
1. It seems like the vast majority of Café goers are Americans.
2. I'm a really thoughtful bloke. :)

Cheers, Mike
I second the Google Toolbar. It also has many other great features, in addition to the spell check. The best being that it's free and not full of spyware.
A grammar checker wood be nice. Eye love spell checkers though. Their grate four prefect words every thyme. Know more missed aches!

Tea he!
LOL :)
Mrunge

Thank you SO MUCH for posting the IE spell checker link. It saves me time not having to open up "Word" every time. :)

JIM
When writing, I often keep http://www.dictionary.com open so that I can be sure to spell the words correctly.

Being one that has great admiration and respect for the correct and concise use of any language, I place a lot of value on the words I write hoping others will too.

Spelling, diction, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure, organization, and development are important to the communication process, regardless of the language. It is complex. It is complicated. It takes work. It takes practice. It takes knowledge. It takes time. It is not for the weak or lame.
I usually cut and paste to Microsoft Word for spell check.
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to check them out.

Dan
As a little reminder: Yes sometimes it gets under our collective skin when a person misspells words. Remember, however that you may not really know everything or every reason someone, you probably have/will never meet, does what he does.

As one of the lucky 2 out of 8 in my immediate family who does [b]not[/b] suffer from dyslexia, I know there may be more issues than mere laziness.

If someone has trouble, derision is usually not the best method for correction.
I might say the same for most comments about misused phrases, misplaced commas,, misspelled names, etc.

I do not disagree with anyone on this thread (I use google's spell check). I only think we should temper our expectations with reason.

As a side note, I have found a funny sort of tradition on the Internet. When a person decides to correct someone else's mistakes many times he/she/it makes a mistake themselves. In the haste to correct others behavior, we may wish to keep ours above reproach.

(When you see bizarre stuff in my posts it's not 'cause I have dyslexia. I'm just dumb)
[quote]
On 2006-10-28 16:39, Josh Riel wrote:

...derision is usually not the best method for correction.
....I think we should temper our expectations with reason.
([/quote]

:approve: :thumbsup:

:)
Firefox 2.0 has a spelling checker built in.
[quote]As one of the lucky 2 out of 8 in my immediate family who does not suffer from dyslexia, I know there may be more issues than mere laziness. [/quote]

Thanks for pointing this out Josh, I'm dyslexic and some days I can't type even simple words. I use the Google toolbar to spell check my typing, but that struggles with some stuff, and If I just don't know how else to spell it, well it gets posted as is and I hope others can understand what I'm trying to say.

Grammar also suffers, not because I don't know how to form sentences it's just that when it is time to write things down my brain has a holiday.

I now believe that the 'spelling rule' is to try and keep the annoying 'txt spk' out of the forum. The overly stylised words may make sense to the author when they wrote it but to most participants they are just meaningless strings of consonants.

I've not had a bad experience here with people flaming me for my spelling or grammar so, in my experience, there is already an air of understanding and consideration.

The spell checker is your friend. And proof reading is too!

p.s. I just spell checked this, I'd got grammar wrong both times and also experience, only little errors, but hopefully I'll remember next time.
Not wanting to pour water on an excellent idea.... but...

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
[quote]
On 2006-09-02 16:34, mrunge wrote:

I'll let you in on a little program (free) that I use that will eliminate the cut and paste steps. It's an IE spell checker that is, basically, a small utility program that can check the spelling of anything being typed in Internet-based programs, such as the Magic Café.

[/quote]

thanks for the link and the spell checker free download! I really appreciate it!
Thanks for understanding the problem. Many of the members of The Magic Café do not have English as their first language. Spelling mistakes make their language dictionaries not work. Then communications get pretty hard to follow. Your efforts are vital to our success here. With over 1.6 million posts on The Café keeping up with our small all volunteer staff is impossible without member help.

Thanks again.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Is there any way to get an over looked misspelled word changed after the edit time has expired?
Does anyone not see the red underline of the words in the message box when it is misspelled? I guess... now that I've checked... that's a Firefox feature. In my opinion, Firefox is a better browser than IE anyway. Make the switch: http://www.browsehappy.com
The problem is when spellchech does not catch the word. In a post I made I wrote here in stead of her, there was not a red line under the word. I did not catch the typo till the next day.
You can report your own posts to the mods. It's at the top of each post, they can help.
Thanks!
[quote]
On 2007-01-24 14:28, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Is there any way to get an over looked misspelled word changed after the edit time has expired?
[/quote]

Tom,

GREAT Question!

Misspelled words will get by and we still want to fix them. Please PM me or any of the Grammar Hosts you know to point out a needed correction. Finding them is step one in correcting them. We appreciate the head start!

Thank you for the good question.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders, you guys and gals here at the Café , that make up the staff, are one of the big reasons, we hobbyist and pros alike come to talk, discus and share our interest in magic. You all just don’t hear it enough. Thank you so much for doing a great job!

Tom

P.S. Thanks for correcting my goofs!
Tom,

Thank you! Your encouraging message is also posted in the staff kitchen. (Bet you didn't know that we had a refrigerator door!)

Here on The Magic Café I get to work and communicate with a lot of wonderful people both staff and membership.

It is an all volunteer staff and we are working on the largest and most comprehensive data base of magic history and thought in the history of the world. It's available to magicians FREE.

The Café is a joint effort. Currently there are over 28,500 members and about 30 staff. The numbers tell the story. It is a true membership organization.

The revenues that run The Café come from sponsors who buy banners. Café members' support of the advertisers matters.

Our village of sharing magicians is truly amazing. We're glad you're here.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Hi all.

If you want to check your spelling and grammar and want to know what you have written there are programs that can help.

I should say at this point that I am dyslexic and I have nearly finished my diploma in Dyslexia and literacy – and whilst I am trying to get a “contract” as a selling agent for this program they are not taking on anyone at the moment so there is currently no “benefit” to me.

Ok so the problem as already identified is that you can spell check but it doesn’t pick up words that are spelt right but are the wrong word. The program is called Text help, basically it reads what you have typed (as well as spell checking) to you. This can be done, rather annoyingly, after each word or after a sentence or even after the end of the paragraph.

It’s a very useful program and I use it a lot (especially when I am writing up assignments etc). I also use a program called Inspiration – which if you have to produce any assignments and or essays etc is really useful (you can get a download trial version at http://www.inspiration.com) it wont help you with spelling and grammar though!

Hope you find text help useful and if I find a free version I will let you know.

Dave
I work for Bob Sanders in the Café grammar department. I'm not the best speller, but people PM me all the time to help them, especially foreigners, who have problems constructing a sentence in English.
Al Angello
As a writer, I fully endorse this effort towards a board free from spelling and grammatical errors. ;)
[quote]
On 2007-03-29 13:27, MagicalMeg wrote:
As a writer, I fully endorse this effort towards a board free from spelling and grammatical errors. ;)
[/quote]

You get a "Gold Star" on your very first post!

Thank you for your support.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I am hardly a grammar expert. I do think that grammatical knowledge can help your performance of magic. Grammatical mistakes during performance can break the spell. There are exceptions that show that grammatical errors can contribute to the performance, if they are incorporated into the performance persona and consistent. Slydini comes to mind. Everyone understood that this man was a foreigner, and his misuse of the language did not cause anyone to think him less sophisticated, and did not detract from his charm or magic - only heightened it!

But as a generalization, grammar helps a performance. After all, magicians possess a special knowledge, unavailable to the general public. Magicians should have insight into science, math, history, philosophy, etc. Shouldn't they have a basic grasp of grammar?

For a sophisticated audience, a grammatical error will avert the focus from the effect to your grammar.

I am making a generalization, but do others agree in concept with what I am saying?
Steve,

I'm not sure how many applicants for employment are actually rejected solely on the basis of their letter with the application. But it is a common practice. It is one of those impressions that the best of recommendations will not overcome. Verbal communications can have the same damaging results.

Employers and audiences have choices and make decisions. They also make the rules. Being well-spoken is often the basic requirement to building a future with either. It is a measure of credibility.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Being in a Hurry can make mistakes on writing ,or not proof reading as most of us do in a chat site & forums.
Mainly we do get the idea across, non verbal comunication isn't easy sometime.
you read articles in magazines & books & some are easy to understand and some not
having illustrations with the text is most helpful I have seen especially when your showing how something works.
I'd like to add that people tend to pass judgement on a person's intelligence based on his grammar and vocabulary (as well as spelling in written communication). If during a performance (be it a sales presentation or a magic act) the audience is distracted by the performer's poor communication skills, the impact of the performance is greatly diminished or even lost completely.

Another point more directly relevant to this forum is that it is part of most magician's act to develop a kind of mystique. On some level, the audience has to believe that the magician is in some way superior to them. One way to preserve this illusion (IMHO) is to use better than average vocabulary and grammar. While perhaps more important on stage than in a chat forum, practice makes perfect.

It's a breath of fresh air that a chat forum makes an effort to be a stickler about correct language usage. Thank you.
Does anyone have a particular pet hate spelling mistake?Mine is (rEdiculous) it is rife all over the net.
Most can realize what your saying when you write even with a few mistakes,being in a hurry is when I make mistakes ,and not proof reading it well before sending it off to the thread/e-mail
Chuck
G'day,

I downloaded the program first listed. Thanks I have read all and wil take all into cosideration.

Hugs N Giggles
As long as its legible its good ;)
It's not spelling mistakes that annoy me, as most times you understand what is being said. It's when someone mentions a trick and they then say it's in a certain book, but when you check it, it's nowhere to be seen. Is there some program you can download to fix this problem?
Spelling seems to be atrocious all over the net. What bugs me is the use of improper grammar and the improper use of certain words -like "myself" which is used almost every way except the proper way as in: "Three of us went to the magic show, John, Mary, and myself"
I can honestly say I am a horrid speller and my grammar has always been a struggle. My tences (past,present,future) flip back and forth dependeing on where I am in my head. But I can say that the only way I got better was to Practice,Practice,Practice!!The more I write the better I am.

I do use spell check in WORD and in my E-mails but I always try to proof-read my stuff on my own first. If I can fix it before then HEY I learned something new. There are times when poor 'ol spell check just can't keep up.

Certain words, no matter how close you THINK you are to the right spelling, just throw spell check into a tizzy. That is why I have a dictionary and a thesaurus sitting on my desk. So no matter what happenes in all those fancy programs, I can express my thoughts and ideas in words.
If you use Safari on a Mac it will check your posts for you. Misspelled words will have a red bar under them, like in Microsoft Word.

Hope it helps,

Ivan
Communication skills are critical in the presentation of magic from the initial marketing to the actual performance. It is good to see that the obvious is finally gaining more recognition.
Aligator, you spell your name wrong.

I am like a god.
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but Safari has a built in spellcheck (and is now available for Windows) and m-w.com is a great resource for folks that want to get the correct spelling or usage of a word.
:( If only everyone on the Café would read this topic.

:( If only everyone would go back and read what they have written before they hit the "Submit Reply" button.

There are eleven Grammar Hosts including our venerable supervisor to check the posts of 32,448 members. If you do the math that's approximately one volunteer Grammar Host per every 2,950 members.

We are grateful to those of you who take the time to proofread your posts before sending them through cyberspace.

Andy
[quote]
On 2006-12-12 15:33, Phil J. wrote:
Not wanting to pour water on an excellent idea.... but...

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers... [/quote]

Thanks for the laugh. :<)
[quote]
On 2007-05-26 08:30, sweetskulls wrote:
Does anyone have a particular pet hate spelling mistake?Mine is (rEdiculous) it is rife all over the net.
[/quote]
Some big ones usually seen are:

seperate instead of separate
preform instead of perform
their instead of there, and vice versa.....
[quote]
On 2008-01-26 07:09, joseph wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I dOn'T lIkE iT wHeN pEoPlE tAlK lIkE tHiS. Ticks me off. I'm glad the ratio of grammer supervisors is 1:1 - makes me feel safe at night. :-D
This is great advice to everyone!
For what it's worth, I think the users of Magic Café do a MUCH better job at spelling and grammar and just generally writing intelligibly than do the users of some other magic sites I've visited. I am probably unusually irritable when it comes to these matters, but I find myself less irritated when I come to the Café than when I used to look at those other sites. The maturity level, both in actual age and in an intellectual and emotional sense, is higher here, and one result of that is more attention paid to good communication skills. I do understand when a user's first language is something other than English -- that is pretty obvious, I think, and I don't have much difficulty being patient with posts from them. (I could not write in their languages at all!)
Good advice. Just a quick double-check before posting sounds ggod... er good! Sorry
It only takes a second to check your spelling. This is good advice, thanks.
I love spell checkers! Believe it or not using a spell checker has
improved my spelling skills a lot! Instead of using the spell checker
to fix my words I use it to see how the word is spelled and then I type
it in myself. Over time my misspelled words have become less and less.
My spelling used to be absolutely horrible, as did my grammar. Although
my grammar skills still need improvement.

As far as spell checkers not knowing if you used the wrong word, all
you have to do is reread what you've wrote and if you type "her" instead
of "here" it will usually be pretty clear. Although I'm sure we all over
look something here and there.

[quote]
dOn'T lIkE iT wHeN pEoPlE tAlK lIkE tHiS. Ticks me off. I'm glad the ratio of grammer supervisors is 1:1 - makes me feel safe at night. :-D
[/quote]

I agree! I can understand when someone makes a spelling mistake, however,
when they write like that it drives me mad. It also bothers me when people
pay no attention to grammar and punctuation at all. When I go to a forum
and see that nobody uses capital letters or punctuation it usually gives
me the impression that they're either a bunch of kids or not very bright.

Have a good day,
res
I use Firefox, and as soon as I dl'd it, I think I got a Lot of plug-ins. One may have been a spell checker, because whenever I post here, or at penguinmagic it automatically tells me what I need to correct. My spelling IS atrocious though...so if it's not in the spell checker database, I may misspell it. But it really beats my normal spelling. So check out Firefox browser.
[quote]
On 2006-09-05 05:41, Mike T wrote:
On the subject of grammar, you could always write the post in a Word document, and then paste it across - it all depends on how much value you place on it.
If you don't give a hoot about all that English 'stuff,' then you probably won't even bother with my first suggestion.
BTW, Jon, if you come across any of my posts, you will probably notice that I use American spellings and terms (if I'm aware of the difference).
Color, favorite, pants, etc.
This is because:
1. It seems like the vast majority of Café goers are Americans.
2. I'm a really thoughtful bloke. :)

Cheers, Mike
[/quote]

What is funny is, Sometimes I will be typing and find myself using the Anglo version of the spelling. I will use colour, favourite etc. I used to play MMO's with this chick from the other side of the pond, and she would rub off on me.. suddenly after I am done playing for the day, I'd be logging off, because I was knackered. There is one term I sort of would like to see get some cache here... Snogging. I love the sound and most people are like... what the heck?"

Maybe it's a sign of american arrogance but, what is interesting is... the anglo version of words is picked up by the spell checker as needing correction, it offers the american version as the proper spelling... and it was the bloody english that made up the language to begin with.
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (May 22, 2008 08:51AM)
Calrissa 35F

As a Brit I totally agree. We seem to use Microsoft English now adays as a default setting.

But when I come to the US in July I'm planning on keeping a log of mistakes I make in vocabulary and spelling. Thirty years ago a Brit comedian called Jasper Carrott wrote an entire act about a trip to the US and the way he laughed at spelling and word choices. Maybe I can emulate this.

But maybe you need to explain what snogging is?
Well. I think I have many spelling mistakes, because English is not my language. I hate that kind of mistakes in Spanish, and understand your point of veiw. But I ask for some patience for foreign people. Indeed, I learned English only for magic business.
Cheers!
I think people are very patient here in the Café. It is more difficult for foreigners but I think the spell check Idea and the various language programs are a good idea.
Angel
Angel,

Thank you for your understanding. The function of language is communication. When the language isn't your first language, the dictionary is often your best friend. When words are spelled in such a way that the dictionary is no help, communications typically stops. English is the official language of The Magic Café, but it is not the first language of many of the world’s best magicians and magic enthusiasts. Not only good spelling but the avoidance of abbreviations are critical to communications here.

The true benefit of The Magic Café is the unselfish promotion of meaningful communications among those in the world of magic. Language is a barrier to that communication that needs not to be ignored. Since the computer is the only access to The Magic Café, all posters have access to spell checking also. Using it is a matter of professionalism, courtesy, and effective communications.

Enjoy the Magic Café.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I'm not sure if it is my Firefox or if I have Google toolbar, but when I type it automatically shows the spelling errors.
Wouldn't a preview function for the posts help prevent some spelling mistakes, especially those that are not caught by spelling checkers? Although I try to read every post thoroughly before hitting the "submit" button, I find that sometimes I see a blatant bang-your-head-against-the-wall mistake the second my post appears in its (oops, I almost typed "it's" there...) final form in the thread.
[quote]
On 2008-12-28 18:52, Lord of War wrote:
I'm not sure if it is my Firefox or if I have Google toolbar, but when I type it automatically shows the spelling errors.
[/quote]

It's Firefox. Although it isn't that advanced of a spell checker, it has stopped me from making a lot of stupid mistakes :D
Thancs for the linc. Worcs Purfectly.

Joee
[quote]
On 2008-01-26 07:09, joseph wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

How about ect. instead of etc.? I couldn't count how many times I've seen that one, which I just ran across again for the umpteenth time in a new post to a thread here, which reminded me of this thread which I'd just read earlier today.
[quote]
On 2008-12-28 18:52, Lord of War wrote:
[/quote]

I do believe its Firefox. I get the same thing on mine although it does not help with grammar. The nice thing is I can right click and it will give me possible spelling fixes. For those of you that are horrible spellers like myself, its a nice browser utility.
The one that has always bugged me is "your" and "you're". People, get it right!
If it's possessive like "this is your car", use "your".
Use "you're" if you mean to say "you are"
[quote]
On 2009-03-23 07:52, slyhand wrote:
The one that has always bugged me is "your" and "you're". People, get it right!
If it's possessive like "this is your car", use "your".
Use "you're" if you mean to say "you are"
[/quote]

Agreed, that seems like a real common one, and I admit that I still slip on that one myself sometimes when I'm in a hurry. I know someone on another forum (completely unrelated to the topic of this one) who has been saying "Your welcome" in response to "thank you" posts literally for years and he still [i]always[/i] spells it wrong. I guess no one wants to criticize him for it because he's constantly helping other forum members with things -- which is why he's always saying "Your welcome." :) Maybe one day I'll finally break down and correct him, but he's been spelling it the same way for so long, I'm not sure if he [i]could[/i] change it. lol

PS. Great signature. I'm tempted to steal it, but I guess I don't want to risk getting my throat slit. :D
The one that bugs me is when people want to say "oops" and say "opps". I can't believe how common it is!
Thank you for all the great suggestions. This was a very useful topic,
On 2007-01-13 20:38, Bob Sanders wrote:
Thanks for understanding the problem. Many of the members of The Magic Café do not have English as their first language. Spelling mistakes make their language dictionaries not work. Then communications get pretty hard to follow. Your efforts are vital to our success here. With over 1.6 million posts on The Café keeping up with our small all volunteer staff is impossible without member help.

Thanks again.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

[/quote]

Thank you for pointing this fact out to us Bob. It is a consideration that I never thought of prior to reading your post!
A good habit to get into when posting on this website is to always use the following procedure:

1. Type your post.
2. Use a spell check method if you have one available.
2. Hit "submit reply."
3. Hit "click here to review this message."
4. Review the message. Take a good hard look at it.
5. Ask yourself the following questions:
a. Does it fit nicely on the page?
b. Are words, letters or symbols too close together or spaced in a way that
makes reading the post difficult?
c. Could I have said it any differently to communicate my intent more
effectively, concisely, and correctly?
d. Is there anything I can do to make the post more pleasing to the reader?

If the answer to any of the above questions is "yes," hit the "edit" button and repeat steps 1-5 as many times as you need to until you're satisfied with your content.

:magicrabbit:
Here's a useful web site:

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
Thanks pradell. I'll try that.
Thnks everyone....
I definitely agree with the idea that correct spelling and grammar is important and I like the discussion on how the use of grammar can affect a magicians act (especially as the persona I am developing for my act is a bit of a dimwit).

I'd just like to point out that as mentioned already England and America both use different spelling for certain words (color and colour for instance) but it actually gets a little deeper than that. I have lived in the UK, Australia and New Zealand and they all have their own variations in spelling. This has got to the point where I am often not sure of the correct spelling of a word for the country I am in. I can't for the life of me think of any examples right now but in general Australia tends to follow the American way and New Zealand the British, but not as a rule.

Another curiosity is the pronunciation of the letter Z. Some countries pronounce it as Zee and some as Zed. Again I have become so culturally confused by living within the different styles that I have forgotten who does what. Probably because at the end of the day it's not that important to me.
[quote]
[/quote]

Mine would have to be the use of the word "loose" instead of "lose". It drives me nuts.

It's quite common on a few boards I frequent and I have seen people referred to as being a "looser" on many occasions. Begging the question, looser than what? Something tight?
Do the magicians a favor, and look up how to spell their names correctly...and not butcher them....like
Harry Loraine
Dye Vernon
Alex Heckler....
Fully agree with Joseph on spelling the names correctly.
I'm not the best at grammar, but I always double check me spelling with an online spell checker

http://www.spellcheck.net/
[quote]
On 2009-10-19 04:44, Darth_Prime wrote:
I'm not the best at grammar, but I always double check me spelling with an online spell checker

http://www.spellcheck.net/
[/quote]

If you download this tool http://www.iespell.com/download.php (or find one of the many similar ones) it puts a spell-checker into your browser. So no need to go to another site to check.
[quote]
[/quote]

All the ones quoted so far are definite (!) annoyances. However, my biggest frustration is "it's" and "its" - where the former should only be used as a shortened version of 'it is', and the latter used for the possessive meaning. I see this everywhere, and seems to be a basic lesson not taught anymore.

*phew* Rant over.

What a lovely day it is today...
Thanks
For a proper name, I’ll often cut-and-paste, just to make sure it’s correct. Google will often help with suggestions as you type.

Possessives and contractions can trip a lot of people. English has many homonyms, which just adds to the fun.

their / they’re / there
your / you’re
to / too / two
buy / by / bye
cent / sent / scent
hear / here
pair / pear / pare
raise / raze / rays
vane / vein / vain

That’s also one of the reasons English is so useful for wordplay. Much of our humor is constructed from the hearer’s initially misinterpreting a given word.

MS-Word is a fairly common program that includes a spell checker [F7], but it won’t catch most mistakes of that kind. It also has an auto-correct feature that “watches” as you type, and catches many spelling errors. I’ll often type my message there, then cut and paste into the forum text box.

Then, as pradell says, read it again online, and edit if necessary.

{Humorous footnote} A while back I overheard a teacher explaining to some students that in English there is no second-person plural. I couldn’t help interjecting that, at least in the South, we have “Y’all”!
Definately.. opps I mean definitely. oops I mean oops!
I you use google chrome (just search google for download) it has a spell checking feature.
Is spelling that important? I have dislexia.
Great little program! Love it! Thanks!
Spelling, a skill no longer taught, we can see errors o TV, newsprint even political campaign signs. Are built in spell checkers to blame? I didn't even know that my iPad had a built in spell checker till I started to use it for these posts!
With the vast amount of people on the Internet who never managed to pass their 3rd-grade typing classes, I'd rather have the built-in spellcheckers (even if they do degrade actual spelling ability).
My computer is set up to read text back to me. Often, I will proof-read, and read over mistakes. The computer reads what I wrote.
Does anyone even use a dictionary these days?
Safari/Apple jut checks it automatically if you ask it.

shift + command + :

Just in case anyone doesn't know the shortcut.
I try to use it as little as possible though otherwise it becomes a crutch and you get lazy. :)
I use a dictionary pocket size comes in handy at times, spelling was not my best subject.
This has been said before: many Café users are not native English speakers (myself included). But what I find funny is that most of the spelling errors are usually made by native speakers! This is not surprising, though; it happens in every language. Everyone puts a bit more effort when writing in a language different from his/her own for the same reason one treads more carefully when in unfamiliar territory. Now, about grammar mistakes, that's a horse of a different colour...
I don't really mind grammar mistakes unless they are clearly a result of somebody being lazy. Same with spelling. If you do a pretty good job then it's alright, but if you type lik this cuz you think itz kewl then I won't continue to read your posts.
I am a French speaker as well as a beginner with magic tricks so it is complicated to write well-built English sentences, especially about close-up ! There are grammatical mistakes even though I use the linguistic tool made by Google !
Great topic. Too many people type like they are texting and it gives me a headache trying to "decode" it.
I see you posted this 6 years ago but thanks.
It works great. Just what I needed.
It's better than copying & pasting into an Email program or MS Word.

Ihor

[quote]
On 2006-09-02 16:34, mrunge wrote:

Here is the link:

Once installed, after typing something, just "right click" with your cursor in the text block and select "check spelling." The program will then let you know if everything is OK and, if not, let you replace whatever is wrong with the corrections - just like any other spell checker.

I have been using this little program for years. The price is right (FREE), it is small, taking up very little space on my hard drive, and is really easy to use (again, just a right click with the mouse).

[/quote]
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 20:15, Sallymagi wrote:
Is spelling that important? I have dislexia.
[/quote]
To me spelling and grammar are important.
It's an indication of education, literacy, laziness, or a mix of these.
A person who cannot write (or speak) proper English (or his native language) is prone not to be taken seriously.
If you really have dyslexia, I apologize and you are exempt. LOL
Ihor
Ihop,

I agree with you that grammar and spelling are important. But for people like me, English is not my native language so I try to do my best but I will surely make many errors...Can you excuse me in advance?

Mike
[quote]
On 2012-06-01 12:41, TheSphinx wrote:
Ihop,

I agree with you that grammar and spelling are important. But for people like me, English is not my native language so I try to do my best but I will surely make many errors...Can you excuse me in advance?

Mike
[/quote]
It's perfectly understandable.
I was referring to being literate in ones' native language.

Ihor
Thanks for the advice I have to admit even though I have written a few short stories I am a terrible speller and do need to check myself constantly.
I think that people looking at this thread will appreciate this:

"The The Impotence of Proofreading," by TAYLOR MALI

http://youtu.be/OonDPGwAyfQ
If you like that video, other ones (not specifically about proofreading) by Taylor Mali you might enjoy:

Like_youknow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNIBV87wV4

What Teachers Make
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU
I need to do a better job of making sure my spelling is correct. I do a lot of writing in my job and spelling is very important, especially on the web. Given that, some of my posts from the last week have been horrendous. It’s the typing, bad typing, that gets me. I pledge to slow down and do a better job.
[quote]
On 2006-09-02 13:34, Mike T wrote:
In the 'welcome' section, it is requested that users not type posts full of spelling mistakes. Everybody has a slip up now and again (whether mental or physical), but I recently shared a tip (by PM) with a user who was getting slated for his spelling. My tip seems to have made a difference, so I thought I'd share it around.
After typing a post, I cut and paste it into an email and then, spell-check it. I amend if necessary and then, cut and paste it back. I know there's loads of programs that will check grammar as well, so that would be even better, but everyone's got email spell-check. And, hey, it's a start.

Regards to all, Mike
[/quote]

That was great idea thanks
If I'm not sure how a word is spelled while
I'm posting.i just type what I think is right
in the google bar and wala it shows me the correct spelling.
Autocorrect has become my worst enema.
[quote]
On 2006-09-02 13:34, Mike T wrote:

Regards to all, Mike
[/quote]

OSX spell checks any text anywhere.
Correct spelling does make it much easier to read posts. I use the cut and paste method also (typing my post first into a wordpad program with spellchecker). Not only does it check the spelling, but it gives me a chance to reread what I've written to make sure I'm saying what I intended to say.
Wow! Day one on the forum and already finding useful information! Mrunge, though the tip for iespell was posted long ago, my thanks for that!

I do have a question for the whole peanut gallery though. I have a terribly bad habit of typing 'slang' from time to time. Plus, I'm Texan. I speak Texan fluently and English only so-so. Will I run into trouble for things such as: fixin' as in 'fixin' to', colloquialisms such as ya'll or y'all and so forth? Any guidance is always appreciated.

~Rogue
I didn't know about this little piece of software. It's very useful especially for non English native speaker like me.

Thank you for sharing
One thing I like to do when I'm not sure about some portions of my text is that I type it in quotes on Google (sometimes even within The Magic Café's url).

If I have many results, chances are the text is well written. If not, Google can provide the corrected version of my text.

So it's not 100% accurate but it is one more test to make sure my text is as correct as possible.
Aaaagh, I'm a horrible speller and this has me so paranoid. Please just code a spelling auto correct to the site, then everyone is happy.

~Whiskey
Does this all take account of English English & American English (programme/program, tyre/tire, defence/defense, et al) ? ;)
I've found another Firefox spellchecker :]
Its called "United States English Spellchecker", and it works with Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey :)
In fact, I'm using it write know to right this post. It works frilly well ;)

its found at: https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefox/addon/united-states-english-spellche/
you just click download and it doesn't even pop up a window. to enable it, right-click in a textbox and go down to "languages" and click the "English(United States)" option, it instantly starts working. :}
.........In particular, it would be very helpful if the names of tricks and their manufacturers/creators were spelled properly. Since I am new, I rely on the spelling to find the products online.
Im dyslexic, but it hasn't stopped me getting a PhD. Best tip I had from an English teacher, in days before spell checkers, was to re-read my work backwards. That way you look at individual words. When you read the normal way you brain misses mistakes as you know what the sentence is saying and therefore don't focus on individual works so much.
[quote]
On 2013-08-22 14:19, pieaddict wrote:
Im dyslexic, but it hasn't stopped me getting a PhD. Best tip I had from an English teacher, in days before spell checkers, was to re-read my work backwards. That way you look at individual words. When you read the normal way you brain misses mistakes as you know what the sentence is saying and therefore don't focus on individual works so much.
[/quote]
That is a fantastic tip.
That is a great tip!
I believe firefox now has a built-in spellchecker. Mine wasn't turned on automatically, but all you have to do is right-click the text box and make sure "check spelling" is checked.

[url=https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker]firefox spell checking[/url]
This works well in google chrome ...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/grammarly-lite-smart-spel/kbfnbcaeplbcioakkpcpgfkobkghlhen?hl=en
I try to use a spell checker!
[quote]
On Apr 7, 2014, ihave wrote:
I try to use a spell checker!
[/quote]
You should use your psychic powers!
Then you wouldn't have any need for a spell checking script!
[quote]On Oct 13, 2013, magicman344 wrote:
That is a great tip! [/quote]

indeed
Has anyone suggested Grammarly? Works very well with Firefox, and does everything from things on here to Facebook to Google.
Spell checking and proofreading are too low on the list in this business. I can show you multiple errors in any issue of Genii or MAGIC from the past year.
How about... getting a life? Forums are a place to freely exchange ideas. this is not a formal place for perfect grammar. Also, there are people from all over the world with different levels of command of the English language.

KJ
[quote]On Mar 1, 2015, 1KJ wrote:
How about... getting a life?

KJ [/quote]

I agree, also reading nigh on 10 years of posts before one makes one of their own to deride... someone in the past.
I just popped back on and figured I'd do something with my last post.

I have spelled poorly, I have insulted others for spelling poorly, I have even insulted others for insulting others for spelling poorly... over the years since Al Gore invented the Internet I have been part of it and realized something: Everyone does something wrong, spelling, sentance structure, facts, not recognizing I am the best person ever... none of it really matters. Try to make your sentance legible, you've done your job.

This is sort of an "AA" thing, except I'm no quitter.
A little self-esteem would help. The ease with which we use digital communications seems to have created a one-take culture -- folks record something once quickly and call it done. We see it here in posts that were never re-read by the poster. If they had looked back at their post before hitting "enter," they'd have to admit that even THEY couldn't read it. And YouTube is full of it -- people who fire off a video of a sloppy performance or who create a tutorial, half of which is excuses for why it didn't come out so well. This digital stuff -- text and video -- is so fast and easy, why do folks not re-type or re-shoot rather than to present themselves as less than they are? Have some pride, everyone!
Or we could all just be a little more tolerant of each other :)
[quote]On Sep 2, 2006, mrunge wrote:

Here is the link:

Hope this helps. Mark. :) [/quote]

Grammarly.com has a Safari plugin that checks grammar and spelling. Free!
Ha ha .. thank goodness for SPELL CHECK in Chrome as after I write a post it has tons of RED LINES .. I just FIX and submit!
[quote]On Aug 31, 2015, magicshowprod wrote:
Or we could all just be a little more tolerant of each other :) [/quote]
This is a whole lot easier to do when everyone else is at least trying to put forth an effort. Otherwise, we are just promoting willful ignorance.
Why can't you just turn a blind eye..
[quote]On Dec 4, 2015, Jacob3 wrote:
Why can't you just turn a blind eye.. [/quote]

Most do, and that is the problem. Why is it that everyone is so comfortable looking uneducated and foolish? (Especially when EVERY computer is equipped with the ability to correct your spelling.)

I guess when it comes to this specific conversation though, it doesn't matter what my opinion is. All that matters is, we all have rules to follow on the Café, and if we don't like them, we can leave.
If it wasn't for Google Chrome I would make so many spelling errors. :-D
To bad there isn't a grammar checker though, that would help.
I've always been a good speller. Most of my misspellings are because of, not despite of auto-spelling correction.
Why not add the improper use of grammar if there is so much concern about spelling? Lets nit pick. (sarcasm)
[quote]On Sep 2, 2006, mrunge wrote:

Here is the link:

Hope this helps. Mark. :) [/quote]

Ohh hey! This helped me a lot too. Thanks!
Lol this conversation is a great read!!
Use Grammarly to check Grammar. But, you can't always trust a software.

Trust your instincts :)
I'm so old, I proof read what I write. But my thinking is, if I am not willing to read it; should I really offer it to somebody else to read.

But the old ways are fading out. Such as being five minutes early for appointments.

(Praying I didn't make any mistakes in this post.)
Before I entered the magic community 5 years ago, I had never come across a group of people that takes so much care and attention to the fine details of correct writing. Before I did not pay much attention, my sms were all in lower case. Not anymore.
I love that people actually care about this. It IS important. Society is getting lazier: text messaging, farcebook, twātter, oh and phone keyboards that replace the wrong words... all encourage quick writing and little concern over the state of it. We all have a new skill now, that ability to read something full of irrelevant words and know which word they meant to write!
I'm utterly sick of it. All people have to do is read before they send or post.
Of course if it's a genuine difficulty then the suggested software or browsers will help.
I'm on a tablet right now and just had to rewrite and replace about fifteen words the tablet thought were what I wanted to write, how bloody annoying! This isn't progress, keyboards used to work! Even phone keypads were better than these on-screen joke ones.
Grr.
We actually do put some effort into trying to catch spelling mistakes. Are you interested in volunteering to do some grammar checking?
Spelling Mistakes - one should always strive to improve oneself.
I always dreamed of being a scholar, now I are one ...
sorry guys!