(Close Window)
Topic: New New Yorker
Hey folks. Two weeks ago I took a plunge and am now trying to take my life in an upward direction, and have moved to New York.

I graduated from the North Carolina School of the Arts, School of Filmmaking with a BFA in Filmmaking in June. My primary studies at NCSA were in screenwriting and film sound.

I've been pounding the pavement here in NY, and have a few interesting leads, but I thought I'd put this out into cyberspace and see if any of you fellow Café dwellers had any insight.

So, if anyone knows of any leads or opportunities in an area of film, television, or radio, please don't hesistate to contact me.

Thanks!

Kevin
If I was in New York area, I would work at TROMA!!!! They don't pay anything, but you do get treated badly - good luck.
Film? Aren't you on the wrong coast? :)
Hey, they have McDonalds on both coast in need of managers.
Steve V
I love NEW YORK!!! Join the IFP... get the local trade papers and check out people doing projects... try to get involved in as many student and low budget projects as possible... network, network, network... and enjoy the fabulous pizza!!!

Greg
Kevin,
Currently between 86th street and 110th (BETWEEN AMSTERDAM AND bROADWAY)they are currently filming Law and Order and CSI. They have a lot of crew people just hanging around the area who love to talk to people during their long breaks and could possibly give you some info. There's also a paper out for people who want to work in film similar to the Back Stage paper, but I can't recall the name right now.
As for the west coast deal, it's not the place for me at the moment. I've spent a good bit of time out there, I had a pretty good internship in LA last summer. NY is a bit more "homey" to me, and my financial situation right now allows for NY much more easily than the west coast would. That, and there's still plenty of work going on up here! True, LA will always be the heart of it, but NY is definitely a close second.

Steve - I'd consider that, but I'd get way too fat from eating nothing but McDonald's food. I'll keep it in mind as a last-ditch option.

Thanks for the tips Greg and Elecktra. I've done a fair bit of production work, 4 days here, a month there, you know how it can be.

I'd definitely love to have full-time employment though rahter than jumping from gig to gig as they go.

Ah, the life of an uncertain career path. Why couldn't my parents just force me to be a doctor or lawyer?

Take care.

Kevin
Hey Kevin -

Welcome to NYC.

John B. Born
PM'd you.
I miss New York. I was there for eight years banging my head against the wall that is professional theatre. I got as far as off-off-Broadway, and now I work at a Wal*Mart in Providence, RI!

Do better!
Without wishing to be too sarcastic... we now have more students than ever going to University in the UK, all studying highly useful subjects such as Media Studies, Social Sciences, Golf Green Management etc, etc. They now wonder why they can't get a job with a degree !!

Howard
John - Thanks for the welcome. You and I met very briefly back in Kansas City at the IBM Convention. I was able to watch your Matrix performance, which was very impressive. Maybe I'll see you around sometime.

Bugjack- Thanks for the PM

Mandrake - I'll try! I find that things tend to work themselves out for the best in the end.

Howard - That's also the case over here. I've read many articles over here about people who major in Klingon, playing video games, etc. Luckily, the school I attended is very hands on and preps us to work in the real world. We get to learn by doing, rather than just learning theories out of books. All of my professors worked professionally in the business on well-known films and television shows. So, hopefully I've developed a useful, marketable skill set. Maybe I should have studied Klingon though...

Thanks everyone!

Kevin
Good Luck anyway Kevin..I suppose I could also say that having a Degree in Electronics still didn't save from being made redundant after 30 years..then again
if you are wanting to save money..get rid of the highest paid . C'est la vie..another of lifes little conondrums.

Howard
Hey...If I end up going that's what my majors are going to be! I live in Charlotte and NCSA is pretty close.

Brett.
Brett - If you wind up going, you will love it there. I would say that my time at NCSA gave me the best 4 years of my life (so far).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the school, the application process, etc.

Kevin
Kevin,

Having weighed the pro's and con's for yourself, I can only wish you the very very best! May you be satisifed in your pursuits and all you do :)
Hello .... NYC is a great city to live in ...I have been here for about 11 years now and I must say it never gets boring ...........Any questions let me know.. Most of my friends that work in film and Tv moved to the west...... but I know a lot of TV and film happens in NYC ......good luck...
[quote]
On 2006-09-07 09:57, Mercury52 wrote:
Mandrake - I'll try! I find that things tend to work themselves out for the best in the end.

Thanks everyone!

Kevin
[/quote]

Then I imagine it's for the best that I'm not a filthy rich actor living in a split-level penthouse in NYC and am instead a struggling Wal*Mart associate who can't even find the energy to put together a set of Slydini T&R papers.

I can't imagine WHY that's for the best, but I have to assume it is!

*cy*
[quote]
On 2006-09-08 23:45, mandrake01 wrote:

Then I imagine it's for the best that I'm not a filthy rich actor living in a split-level penthouse in NYC and am instead a struggling Wal*Mart associate who can't even find the energy to put together a set of Slydini T&R papers.

*cy*
[/quote]

I don't know my brother but I will be present on the 14th. floor of a Dallas Bankruptcy attorney who will process a dear friend's bankruptcy to the tune of 6 million. Those numbers mean nothing to his attorney and certainly mean less to those worth far more.

I also have a friend who just began his first venture at age 28. He's sure he will be the next Bill Gates.

I've been to heaven and hell many times and depending on which day you find me, I'll be at one or the other.

I've seen your posts over time and like ya.

Stay on track, and yes, when the time is right, knock 'em dead.

Oh so dead :)
[quote]
On 2006-09-09 02:09, RandyStewart wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-09-08 23:45, mandrake01 wrote:

*cy*
[/quote]

I don't know my brother but I will be present on the 14th. floor of a Dallas Bankruptcy attorney who will process a dear friend's bankruptcy to the tune of 6 million. Those numbers mean nothing to his attorney and certainly mean less to those worth far more.

I also have a friend who just began his first venture at age 28. He's sure he will be the next Bill Gates.

I've been to heaven and hell many times and depending on which day you find me, I'll be at one or the other.

I've seen your posts over time and like ya.

Stay on track, and yes, when the time is right, knock 'em dead.

Oh so dead :)
[/quote]

Thanks! It's kinda nice to be told you're liked! That actually made my day!

oooooh such dead will I knock them! (With apologies to Invader Zim)
Yup Mandrake, it's in the end that the things work themselves out in. Surely you're not at the end yet.

Kevin
51 years old, better magicians than I were dead by this point!

(No more, I'm getting morbid!)
This lists every major project going on in New York and has job listings as well. Talk to the production managers on some of these films about working as a production assistant. If you're willing to work for free once and you're a good worker, you'll most likely get called to work again for pay.

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/film/html/home/techlist.shtml
...and good luck! (Seriously dude, I wanna see your name in credits! And I read credits too, so I'll know!)
Thanks for the link Claymation. Mandrake - I'm glad you read the credits. More people should do the same.

I am actually starting a full-time job on Tuesday with B&H Photo in the city. I'll be a junior technical writer for pro audio equipment for their website.

It's not my dream job, or something I think I'll do for the next 20 years, but it's a full-time paid gig, which is what I need most at this time.

I was also quite surprised to get offered a job in under 3 weeks of moving up here. I figured I'd have to wind up manning the register at Target just to get a little cash flow going.

I'll still be looking to do free/cheap film work on evenings and weekends.

Ah, exciting times!

Kevin
I love B&H Photo!!! That's a great gig!

Kevin...you will also have contact with all the finest and latest film equipment in the world. Groovy! Place is crawling with filmmakers. Well done!

Not to mention that insanely cool mechanical basket system they use...worth a visit just to watch that! It's a true wonder.
Yep, I've been a long-time B&H customer. I love going through the retail space, it's so massive!

My job is in the office area of B&H, which is a couple blocks over from the retail store. So the fun gadgets aren't right at my fingertips during my daily duties.

I suppose that's good though. The temptation to hand them my check back every payday won't be as great.

Kevin