(Close Window)
Topic: Secrets of Brother John Hamman & The Complete works of Derek Dingle Reprints
Hi,

I just got an email from Kaufman & Co. to say my copies of the above books have been despatched! I've been after these books for years! I'm so glad they finally got round to reprinting them. You can get them through the Genii website.

Now please hurry Mr Postman, I can't wait!
Is this true? The pre-publication prices last until 30th September so I presumed they wouldn't even come off the printing presses until around then.
Quite true. Kaufman mentioned that the books were due back from the printer on August 30th, and that he expected them to ship (and possibly even arrive in the hands of the purchasers) by the middle of September. Great books! You're in for a real treat.
Awesome news, just ordered them today. I'm glad that they will hit my doormat earlier than expected :)
Does anyone know where this is available?
[quote]
On 2006-09-09 12:37, daway0612 wrote:
Does anyone know where this is available?
[/quote]

They'll likely be pretty much everywhere, soon enough. For now you can get them at Kaufman and Company.
http://kaufman.geniimagazine.com/
The Complete Works of Derek Dingle is mine ^^

msc455magic
Kaufman also mentions that he is exploring the technologies behind the current print-on-demand possibilities. I hope others do, as well. In the not too distant future I'd like to think that we may actually see an end to the "out of print" status of a number of classics we've all been dying to get our hands on.
But at the same time, making every oop book reprinted will take away the special-ness of the books....
Yes, but it will also help those of us that weren't around when the originals came out.
[quote]
On 2006-09-12 13:57, anticoin wrote:
But at the same time, making every oop book reprinted will take away the special-ness of the books....
[/quote]

What exactly is the "special-ness" of an out-of-print magic book?

Do you mean special-ness as in "scarcity of explanation for those who weren't around when the book was published in the first place" or special-ness as in "look, I've got Hilliard and can command $250 on ebay?"

I can sorta understand the former. In general, the literature of magic is intentionally obscured, scattered, and sometimes underground. That makes sense -- up to a point.

But I'm pretty cynical, so I'm guessing the only people begrudging Kaufman (or anyone) for reprinting canonical "essentials" are the people who figured they were gonna sell their Hamman and Dingle and Roth to a younger magician for a rip-off price.
Hey, this is fast. I already saw lots of online magic shops start selling those books. I have been waiting for so long.

Cheers,
Andrew
[quote]
On 2006-09-11 23:39, Magiguy wrote:
Kaufman also mentions that he is exploring the technologies behind the current print-on-demand possibilities. I hope others do, as well. In the not too distant future I'd like to think that we may actually see an end to the "out of print" status of a number of classics we've all been dying to get our hands on.
[/quote]

Gosh, I hope so!! I love that idea for magic books!! This would be a win-win for everyone except perhaps the speculators that buy magic books as "collectibles" and then hoard them for later sale at astronmical prices.

Print-on-demand books might even become a self-regulating phenomenon that weeds out bad books and minimizes the "damage" of such works. It might even result that former "limited initial run quantities or 500" might not even be reached if a book turns out to be a poor value and the initial reviews pan the book. As it stands now, a lot of the limited runs make their money just on the scarcity or potential scarcity of the book. If a book had to stand on its own two feet and depend on the word getting out that it was a quality book and a great value for the money, we might even see a book do less in sales that a traditional limited run book does today.

Assuming that print-on-demand books become the new book printing standard, might it also be possible that a new standard practice in the industry emerges whereby a book publisher have a pre-published announcement that the first 500 copies (or 1,000 copies? or 5,000 copies?) of "X" book would be able to be entitled "First Edition" and possibly be printed on a special paper or on a certain color of paper and that all other copies would be entitled "Second Edition" and be printed on ordinary white stock paper? If so, I can still see a collector's market existing side-by-side with a "secondary" alternative market (for us peons). That might be the best of both worlds and a win-win for all parties involved.

Mike

P.S. Just had a thought about Minch/Maven's "The Protocols of the Elders of Magic" work. I just have to wonder how many copies of that book would have been sold if it had only been available as a print-on-demand book? Would it have ever matched its limited run of 500 copies had it been a print-on-demand book and as the initial reviews came in from the first group of buyers?