(Close Window)
Topic: Soft Spot
I thought I'd get this topic started. :) This is a new one from MJM magic. It looks very visual and would love to know more. It looks like it can only done with plastic bottles. Looking forward to the reviews.

[url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/soft-spot-by-cyrus-p-3262.html]Soft Spot[/url]
The adv copy said that it is visual penetration. But it is not. The cap is pushing from behind the label - and with the hand covering as well.

This is just another cap thru bottle, nothing new.

But the price is cheap and PDF is handy. I did buy something similar and they give me a box of bottles and caps!!

The trick (if my guess is correct) will do best with plastic bottle. You will need to spend a lot of time/skill to get the setup right by using glass bottle. But it should be possible.
The demo video does look pretty impressive. People drink a lot of snapple on my ship so there are bottles aplenty.
This looks great ! the video shows his hands empty after the penetration , I wonder after you buy it if this is true ? I think you may end dirty still nice looking .
Tops
[quote]
On 2006-09-12 02:57, tophatter wrote:
This looks great! The video shows his hands empty after the penetration. I wonder after you buy it if this is true?
[/quote]

Yes, this is an altogether a new method.

Before the penetration, without holding/ touching the bottle, one can show that the bottle is empty. And after the penetration the hands can be shown empty, but one needs to take care of the angles at this stage.

[quote]
On 2006-09-12 02:57, tophatter wrote:
I think you may end dirty still nice looking.
[/quote]

Yes, at the time of handing the bottle to the spectator you end dirty. But with a little misdirection this can be taken care of, since all eyes are focused on the bottle.

I feel that the most ideal prop for this effect would be to use a plastic mineral water bottle which has a small diameter low height cap. Also with a little imagination it is possible to do the effect (with the above new method) using a glass beer bottle and its metal cap.

Overal [b]Soft Spot[/b] is a better Cap-in-Bottle effect as the method is little different from the ususal.

:xmas:
Hey I am the creator cyrus thanks a lot for reviewing my effect I am glad you guys like it!
No more about this item?
Hmm, doesn't seem like an overly breakthrough method, but I'll give it a shot sometime to see how it's taken.
WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!
STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love penetration effects, especially coin/cap through bottle.

What a crock. I am sick of all of this crap from dealers and people who put out P.O.S. magic items and charge an arm and a leg for them. It is not like any time and effort was put into this nor did it cost ANY money to produce.

Every time something new comes out it is the ULTIMATE....right? If someone offered you the ULTIMATE mode of transportation, and then sent you plans for putting Dr. Scholl's into your roller skates, you'd be pretty ticked. That to me is a perfect analogy for this poor excuse for a magic item.

I am tired of getting taken. I know this comes up often in these forums, but come on people. There has to be something that can be done as far as quality control here. We have to do something to take back our pride and dignity from these people who obvioulsy have no shame in taking it away.

There is no way anyone should be enticed to pay 20 dollars for a measly 3 and a half page pdf, that obviously no one bothered to proofread. For god's sake......proof read the friggin thing if you are going to make a product out of it. Example: Every time the word 'THEN' is to be used (5x), the "author" used 'THAN.' The word 'then' is obviously not in the vocabulary of the "writer." I know we all can't be Bill Shakespeare, but 20 bucks for this crap.

500 words. About 250 of them are unnecessary. 10 photos. 8 of them unnecessary.

I would like to quote the ENTIRE "Other Handlings" section of the pdf. I sure hope I don't give too much away.

"Other Handlings : you can also slam it in if your surrounded, but other
than that, it is best to keep your audience in front."

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHY ME!!!!!!!!!! WHY DO I ALWAYS GET SUCKERED INTO THIS JUNK. (Do I have to point out the misuse of 'your' where it should say 'you're'? I make no claims to being the most gramatically correct person in the world, but then I don't try to sell my writing. And if I did, I would make *** SURE it read nicely and there were no mistakes. If I am picking up on grammar mistakes there is a big problem!!)

I just simply can not believe this. I just can't! At the same time, I can not wait to hear the lame excuses coming to the defense of this, because there is no excuse. NONE!

This trick could have been jotted down on a cocktail napkin and been much more effective and intelligent "than" the 20 dollar pdf. And "then", if I happened to find the napkin in the trash and read it, I would probably end up using it to wipe up my vomit because the thought of selling this for any money is nauseating.

All I can say positive is at least this wasn't produced as a DVD and cost me 40 bucks or something, because then I might have had to take my own life.
I agree with toomuchmagic, I would probably steer clear of this one. If you are looking for a cap in bottle effect you cannot go wrong with Mike Power's VIP. You will find another thread on here raving about VIP, it is very nice.
Have you tried the effect toomuchmagic and actually done it before you say it is soo bad.
No I have not. Because I spent over an hour trying to get the cap in the "secret spot". I managed to achieve this twice. I can not imagine ANY TIME where I could perform this. The set up is not practical to any real life situation.
Very Sad Skyrus. Very Sad.
I make it a rule to stay away from instant downloads, unless they are produced by someone I've heard of with a good reputation. I love MJM Magic but when I saw the demo, I knew the effect would be totally impractical for me. Sorry to hear about your experience, toomuchmagic.
Actually I'm glad to hear about toomuchmagic's experience. It will probably save a lot of people money.

Thanks for your post toomuchmagic.

BTW if you're going to sell an item with instructions included. It is probably best to proofread your writings. If you don't have time and can't spend the effort of putting out a set of instructions that don't glaring grammatical errors then what does that say about the quality of the actual product. And your professionalism?

It tells me you don't have much pride in what you do.

But that's just my opinion
Oh, believe me, I'm glad toomuchmagic posted that. It's very informative.

I, too, agree that people should proof read their instructions. It's very unprofessional to release material that is poorly written. Especially for $20. That price tag is outrageous for this trick. There are a lot of really good versions of cap/coin in bottle out there and this particular version doesn't seem to offer anything especially new or revolutionary to the mix. Keep in mind, I'm basing my opinion solely on the demo.
Yes. Thanks for posting that toomuchmagic. I was interested in the plot and Soft Spot was on my list of "Cap through Bottles" considerations too.

A much better option in terms of visual and practical Cap through bottle (Though it's a metal cap and glass beer type bottles) would be Cap Trap! from Charlie Justice/Black's Magic/Jeff Pierce's up and coming Prohibition DVD.

I've placed a pre-order for it and the final cut is currently being reworked. This one is going to be a keeper.

http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com/

Bosco
Thanx for the warning guys.
Against all warnings,

I ordered it! (GASPS, AND TITTERING FROM THE AUDIENCE)...yeah, I know...it's just that I've ordered V.I.P., Abyss, Sinful, and Prohibition as well.

Sinful, and The Abyss have arrived. So far I'm VERY pleased. Soft spot is needed, as here at work (radio station), we have a machine that dispenses GATORADE.

As I understand it, as in Abyss, you can hand out the bottle in its "impossible" condition, as a souvenier. I would also "guess" the method of Soft Spot is similar to The Abyss, inasfar as the gimmick(s) needed to keep the "dirty" cap out of sight until it's revealed...at least I HOPE that's right, as Abyss has been performed TWICE now, here at work, and I must say, it's one of the most POWERFUL effects in my arsenal.

I'll pop in here when Soft Spot arrives, and will give it an honest (but short) review.

Doug
I am not getting a soft spot in my heart from these posts for soft spot
UPDATE!!

Wow...am I GLAD I didn't listen to NAYSAYERS! No offense intended, it's just that I'm VERY pleased! It IS similar to Abyss, and EXACTLY what I was hoping for!

It also game me a few ideas to use with Abyss. In ADDITION, Abyss's ideas and tips can be used with Soft Spot!

Just another example of "One man's jewel CAN be another man's JUNK"...

Thanks for this thread! This one's (IMO) a JEWEL!

:)

Doug
[quote]
On 2006-11-21 20:52, Dougini wrote:
* It also game me a few ideas to use with Abyss. In ADDITION, Abyss's ideas and tips can be used with Soft Spot!

* This one's (IMO) a JEWEL!
[/quote]

Exactly! ABYSS & SOFT-SPOT mutually support one another. Great tricks!

If one needs a good variation on Cap-in-Bottle tricks, these are my choices: -

[b]Abyss[/b]

[b]Prohibition aka - "Cap Trap"[/b]

[b]Soft-Spot[/b]

I donít say that other Cap-in-Bottles are not good. Itís just that the methods & thinking has changed over the years.

Just my opinion! :) ;)

Please note: Abyss is not a Cap-in-Bottle trick, but since Abyess & Soft-Spot complement one another it has been mentioned. Abyss is a very versatile trick which is not restricted to coins only.

Just a clarification!

Hi Ustaad!

As you and I discussed (in PM) Abyss CAN be a cap-in-bottle! That white plastic cap can appear inside the standard plastic Coke/Pepsi/other soft drink bottle!

To clarify, Soft Spot does NOT come with gimmick(s)...it's a download only.

I found an online source for the Abyss gimmicks (if you want to add this to your Soft Spot, or if you lost one). PM me for details.

Doug
[quote]
On 2006-09-21 01:12, toomuchmagic wrote:
This trick could have been jotted down on a cocktail napkin and been much more effective and intelligent "than" the 20 dollar pdf. And "then", if I happened to find the napkin in the trash and read it, I would probably end up using it to wipe up my vomit because the thought of selling this for any money is nauseating.
[/quote]

And the award for funniest statement ever posted on the Cafť goes to.....TOOMUCH MAGIC!!!

Absolutely hilarious!!

Dave.
Message: Posted by: rippedandrestored35 (Dec 2, 2006 01:12PM)
Yes this cap through bottle looks very ugly and awkward. I wouldnt pay for this.
I think I will trust Doug's opinion on this one. I've PM'd Doug a few times, and I believe he is a VERY HONEST guy when it comes to HIS personal feelings about tricks he buys. This may not be for everyone, but I'm sure it has it's place among GREAT looking Cap in Bottle effects. I haven't ordered yet, as I'm from Ontario, so can't get this for 20.00.

However, from the online video, it definitely looks like a WINNER, with the right amount of practice and a good presentation.

I don't own ANY Cap Thru Bottles yet, so thanks for the 'positive' feedback on this Doug.

BEST....smitty
I've watched the demo several more times now, and have also corresponded with MJM magic. They seem like a GREAT bunch of guys. At least Jeff seems MOST friendly.

I don't mind paying 30.00 CDN for something, as long as it's at least a booklet or manuscript with at least 20 or 30 pages. I've heard Soft Spot is only about 3 pages, so I've told MLM that I will hold off on purchasing until the price is a little more reasonable. I LOVE how it looks, and I realize I am paying 30+ CDN for the secret; not really the 3 pages, but not quite sold enough yet to lay down 30 bucks of hard earned cash. I think in the meantime I may consider Abyss and V.I.P..

Anyone else beside Doug have this, and like it?

smitty

P.S. - I have a few 'ideas' mulling around in my head for a Cap thru Bottle with the ordinary Spring Water bottles that are ever so popular now, so will begin 'toying' with my idea. What I am going to "TRY" to achieve is to have the cap removed; initialed by spectator on top, and THAT cap going into the bottle, so they clearly see 'their initials' on the cap in the bottle, and a souvenir to take home. This may NOT be possible, but I can 'see it in my mind'.
I will just stick to using Prohibition. IMO the best cap in bottle routine.
I agree Mr Mike, Prohibition is a WINNNER. I would just like to have a 'plastic' version, since very few people in my circle ever have glass bottles on them, but frequently have plastic water bottles. I will have to save Prohibition for those 'special' times.

smitty
Well, just been looking around the net for Coin/Cap in Bottle effects, and I see that Soft Spot is still 20.00. Quite surprised considering most of the other ones are being offered for like 15.00 or less. I have V.I.P. coming any day, and only paid 8.00 U.S. (10.00 CDN) for it. I will order Abyss likely in April.

For now, still working on Prohibition, and trying hard to come up with a way to do 'Signed Cap in Bottle'.
While this is a Soft Spot topic, I just wanted to comment and say I just received V.I.P. in the mail today. After seeing what comes in 'this' package, I will now hold off on Soft Spot. My only complaint about V.I.P., I expected the few page manuscript to at least be stapled.

From researching all the Cap in Bottle effects, and what comes with the purchase, Soft Spot should be a 9.95 download, no more. I mean, good heavens, Randi Rain is offering 2 KILLER effects for only 3.00 each. Is that a DEAL or what. No 'greed' there.

So for now, I will enjoy Prohibition and V.I.P..

Best....smitty
Soft spot looks kinda angle sensitive and awkward to me. I have owned Abyss and find the set up impractical to use for many situations.

IMHO Prohibition is the best bottle penetration out there.
Hi there, there will be in the near future a much more longer version of the trick which includes a booklet and even a trickier way to do it on stage. I believe that the first release of it was a little overpriced for only a pdf, and than again I didn't have any say in the price. Hopefully in the near future I can get that booklet out with many handlings and much more detail, so don't give up on this yet, I have yet to really see a cap in bottle where they actually keep it in the end with the cap in perfect shape. So if you are debating to buy it or not, I suggest wait for the booklet to arrive.
Thanks for your support, and Sorry to those that didn't like it!
Cyrus

if you have bought it and do have questions please email me at skyrus18@adelphia.net

It kills me to read a bad review, but I respect others opinions and I am willing to help out those that are still uncomfortable with the effect.
Thank you for the update Cyrus. I do want to purchase your effect, but just can't justify the 20.00 U.S. at this point. When you have a little more to offer, then I will be happy to support you and order.

Keep up the good work young man.

Best....smitty
Skyrus!! time for you to migrate your email address over to comcast/timewarner before it gets deleted.

I work for comcast :)
As Cyrus pointed out, a new release in booklet format has been in the works. I anticipate it being available in magic stores early April.

Last summer, a mutual acquaintance of Cyrus and I, put him in touch with me regarding Soft Spot. I took a look at it, and loved the concept. But it needed more to it. So I worked with it, brian-stormed, and came up with different handlings, and setups. It's to a point now where both Cyrus and myself believe that it is worthy of being released.

The effect is great, and you get a lot more. At this point, Soft Spot is Cyrus' baby, brought to maturity by myself. Any further criticisms towards Soft Spot should no longer be directed to Cyrus, or MJM Magic, but myself, given that I have basically revamped the effect and documentation.

With the new version being released, I estimate a $25US cost for the booklet, and you will get everything needed to perform the original handling, and the new modified setup (except bottles and bottle caps).

Hereís a new demo video with two handlings shown: http://www.spookclub.com/vids/Cyrus_Kiani_Soft_Spot.wmv

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub