(Close Window)
Topic: Roughing Fluid Question
I know Tester Dull Coat is the standard. I was just wondering, what makes a card more rough, a list mist put on the cards, or a heavy coat? Anyone know? Thanks..
As the saying goes, "Less is more!"

Light coat. You just want to dust it on. Make sense?

You could also try Krylon 1311 Matte Finish.

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
I would agree with Stanyon, a light coat is best. I often replace decks of roughed cards and do them myself, and I find that a quick burst is often more than enough.

It also means that you know when it feels dry it is dry, stops the cards sticking together then also. I have been caught out by this a couple of times!
Thank you both... Light coat it is...
Here's how I do it:

I line the cards up on a sheet or two of newspaper and give a few short little spritzes. I usually hold the can about 18 inches above the cards and spray HORIZONTALLY as opposed to vertically down at the cards. This create that nice light, even coat as the fluid gently floats down on to the surface of the cards.

Have fun!
Hey Ref,
Here a link to another thread (with links to additional threads) that I found exceptionally helpful.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=160553&forum=203

Best of luck!
Thanks Magiguy. Great stuff. Has anyone tried the roughing stick?
I was about to use the stick once but dropped it into a sewer (now that's a long story) and instead used hairspray(!) of all things-it got the job done but the cards ended up in trash right after the show. My friend did try the stick but hated it and went back to Testors.
Look up some of the classic recipes for real roughing fluid. Not the spray garbage. When cards are roughed properly, the fluid dries to little ridges, and the cards don't stick by rough friction, but by the little ridges physically locking together. It's hard to find but not too hard to make. Most of the recipes are a varnish/spirit gum/alcohol mixture. It has been published in quite a few places.

Keith
Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card tricks also refers to the use of Diachylon, which was apparently some form of lead-based plaster.

I tried a spirit gum/alcohol solution once with very limited success. Aside from a tackiness that took forever to cure, it had a tendancy to yellow the cards.

Airbrush application of Dullcoat is the superior method, although you have the expense of the equipment. There are inexpensive versions available, though. It gives you much more control over the typical spray can. A partially clogged spray can nozzle can screw up a good deck of cards in a second.

It is also workable to use liquid Dullcoat applied with a cotton ball or folded tissue. If doing this, you must apply in one direction only, i.e., vertically, versus horizontally. Don't go over areas twice, and don't linger, wipe hard or use excessive fluid, as it will cause the card's ink to smear. This method was the standard for quite sometime with ready-made R/S decks. It tends to be more visible at close range and under certain lighting, but will do nicely in a pinch.

I have used Krylon matte finish, but prefer Testors Dullcoat. I remember when spray deodorant (Right Guard) was being hailed as an alternative, but I never tried it.

~michael
Nice to know that my spray garbage treated effects weren't supposed to last for 20+ years! But what do I know?

JMHO

Cheers! ;)
Stanyon,

Congrats on the 1000 posts!
[quote]
On 2006-09-26 21:35, Michael Baker wrote:
Stanyon,

Congrats on the 1000 posts!
[/quote]

Thanks Michael!

I guess that I'm a little slow, since it took over three years to do!

Cheers! ;)
You can also try "Sex Wax", this is the wax you can find from surf stores, and are used to wax surfboards.