(Close Window)
Topic: Where can I find Syd Bergson effects in print?
I was impressed by the Bergson Center Read and El Numero, both shared by Richard Osterlind in Easy to Master Mental Miracles. Liking the thinking behind both, I'm hoping to find other Bergson material. I've done a little searching, but haven't found much of use. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Noticed this on ebay, hope it helps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mentalism-Its-Presentation-Bob-Nelson-Syd-Bergson_W0QQitemZ280028175917QQihZ018QQcategoryZ14013QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sincerely,
Solarzar
Thanks, Solarzar - I had already noticed this and may bid on it. Anybody with any opinions on this book?

I do really want to find some of Bergson's effects though, if anyone can help.
Bob Cassidy has a version of Teleperception in his [i]Artful Mentalism[/i].
I don't suppose that someone has collected Bergson's material together, have they? In a PM, Solarzar suggested that it might be worth contacting Mr Osterlind directly, to see if he's collected other Bergson effects. That might be worth a try.
Be nice to know, Syd was a genius.
Nice to have you join us, Candini. I know (from another thread) you use the center read yourself.

I have contacted Richard by PM and will report back here if he has any input.
Many (many) years ago I purchased Bergson's Magna Clock effect. Recently, when I pulled the envelope out of my dusty archives I discovered that the instructions are missing. So, I have the "hardware" but need the "software." Anybody got a source?
[quote]
On 2006-09-18 11:23, Foucault wrote:
Nice to have you join us, Candini. I know (from another thread) you use the center read yourself.

I have contacted Richard by PM and will report back here if he has any input.
[/quote]

Thanks Foucault. Currently I use the SAW, PCT, CT and the Center Read. I tested the PCT and Center Read this past weekend in nightclub dim lighting and it was a success. I used a lighter to p**k. The fire was plenty of distraction. The Center Read is such a goldmind and so many ways to pull it off.

I know a bit Off Topic but its so nice to use an original effect and alter it to the environment. I also used El Numero for my stage show. SInce it turned out to be a family type audience, I used a 12 year old girl up front for El Numero.
Well, Richard just returned my PM. Unfortunately, he doesn't know of any sources, but he says there were a lot of Bergson effects over the years. He suggested to keep an eye on eBay (I've set up an automatic search for "syd bergson").

So has anyone else any ideas for sources of his material? It surprises me that no-one's yet collected together his material, as they've done for other effect creators in the past.

Does anyone have the names of any of his other effects? A short description would be even better!
I have some of his material. I'll have to dig it out, though. Very little of Syd's material made it into print. Most of it was sold as props and routines. He did some custom work for some people though.

Some of his stuff was not very practical. He had one with a set of ESP symbols on cardboard where the ESP symbol revealed itself by the h*** of the forehead. It was not terribly reliable. Too much of it depended on the ambient temperature where you worked.
I appreciate it, Bill. Also the additional information. Do you know much about Bergson himself?
I see that there's something by Bergson in Robert Nelson's "Sensational Mentalism" Volume 1. Anyone have that book who could tell me what's in there?
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Sep 25, 2006 08:02AM)
Yep, in the Sensational Mentalism volumes (1 to 4) there is one - or more - effects by Syd Bergson.

Also, in Bascom Jones' Magick there are some Syd Bergson effects (I think).
The Non-Center Tear, at least, is in Tarbell.
Apart from the sources already listed there're also
a few effects by Bergson in Vol I of "The New Encyclopedic
Dictionary of Mentalism" by Burling "Volta" Hull.
Thanks - Keep 'em coming! It's a shame that they are so scattered, though.
I don't know any biographical details about Mr Bergson, so I'm not sure during what timeframe he was creating effects. However, I've just done a search through my electronic versions of The Jinx, The Phoenix, and The New Phoenix, and only once did I find him mentioned, and that was only in passing in a small piece on the IBM convention of 1963 (The year I was born!) in The New Phoenix.
Syd Bergson wrote a column in THE LINKING RING for a number of years during the 1970s. The column, 'Merely Mental', was generally a collection of news and chat.
Ooh, that's good information, John - thanks!
Back in 1970, I bought some of Syd Bergson's effects. I remembered THE ARCANE BOARD--El NUMERO. The Arcane Board was another method for the Mental Epic Slate using 3 bull dog clips and just cardboards.
Syd was a very clever and creative man.
Tricky Ricky
I belonged to Ring 45 in the 70s. It was called Syd Bergson's ring. He was a classic mentalist: looked and sounded the part. Kreskin did many of Syd's effects on TV. I remember going to many meetings and Syd never repeated an effect.

Hopefully, one day someone will do the research and put all of his ideas and effects in one book.

And as John mentioned, go back into those old Linking Rings and you'll find a lot of stuff from Mr. Bergson. I still remember him giving pointers on an effect... and it wasn't mentalism... I was working on a hank ball idea and he worked out many of the details with me in the lobby where the meeting was held.

Greg
I have one of the earliest Kurotsuke effects I know , produced by Sid . Method is ingenious .
[quote]On Jan 17, 2016, TrickyRicky wrote:
Back in 1970, I bought some of Syd Bergson's effects. I remembered THE ARCANE BOARD--El NUMERO. The Arcane Board was another method for the Mental Epic Slate using 3 bull dog clips and just cardboards.
Syd was a very clever and creative man.
Tricky Ricky [/quote]
Anyone remembers the Arcane Board? I've made one and using it with great success. All of the materials were bought from the Dollar store.
I don't have Richard Osterlind's Ultra Board, but I think he uses the same method as the Arcane Board.
Tricky Ricky
Trickshop has an effect by Bergson called "Four-Sight" on sale at the moment. It is an add a number effect. I tried to locate the history of the effect on conjuring archive but no results there.

Anybody know this effect? Is it called by another name?

TIA
Phil
After searching I discovered "Four-sight" is one of the effects in Genii Volume 37 No.3. That issue has a whole section of Syd Bergson mentalism:

Things Mental - Syd Bergson

Chrom-Mental
The Arcane Board
Perplexia
Superior Book Test
Hoodoo Voodoo
Psy Key
Penultimate
Digitalia
Kismet
Four-Sight
Psychiatrix
Improved Maximental
Eclipse
Mental Telematic
A Timely Effect
Psychic Tic Tac Toe
El Numero
Magna Clock
The Paramental Device
IBM Ring 45 in Miami Florida is no longer listed as "Syd Bergson", just Ring 45.