(Close Window)
Topic: New cups and balls idea
I have this idea to break up the cups and balls routine a little bit. It's kinda a comedy effect. I have these large metal thumb thimbles and these balls that fit perfectly inside so if you give them just a little tap they will dislodge. I was thinking of when putting the balls into the pocket only haveing them appear under the cup, to my surprize three mini cups and balls are there instead, and I just remove them and continue on with the routine and produce my regular final loads. Has anyone done something like this? I don't' know the reaction it would get, just an idea and I'm working it out now

Stevie D
Producing a smaller set of cups has been done quite often. However, most of the performers who have done it continue the routine with the smaller cups. I think this is an anticlimax. Your idea is better.

You might want to start out with the small cups, then say, "These are awfully small, let me use these instead," and go on with your routine with the big cups, putting the smaller cups away.

Then, they appear under the large cups. They could even be a running gag.
That's a good idea Bill, and you are up late I must say.. I remember you responding to my post early this morning as I didn't get to sleep today, and here it is 4am and you are still responding... amazing! These thimbles are really really small, even much much smaller than the shells and pea. They look like a very mini cup though. I think the idea will work, I just don't want to make the routine too many phases, but at least this would break it up so I could make it somewhat longer than usual.
So here's what I'd like to do with my "mini cup" During the phase where the balls go to the pocket only to appear back under the cups, I show that the the balls come back by tippin back the 2 outer cups, and lifting up the center cups to reveal a very small metal cup. With a puzzling look, I go to pick up the cup and there is a mini final load under the cup! Shaking my head I remove it and continue the routine revealing the final loads in the next phase.

How do you think this would go over??

Stevie D
So here's what I'd like to do with my "mini cup" During the phase where the balls go to the pocket only to appear back under the cups, I show that the the balls come back by tippin back the 2 outer cups, and lifting up the center cups to reveal a very small metal cup. With a puzzling look, I go to pick up the cup and there is a mini final load under the cup! Shaking my head I remove it and continue the routine revealing the final loads in the next phase.

How do you think this would go over??

Stevie D
It might work. All you can do is try it out. See what happens. If it seems to slow the routine down, then leave it out. I would do it under one cup or another during each revelation of the balls under the cups.

Then do a "Beanie Weenie" final load of something too big for the little cup on the last appearance.
In Close up and Personal (Authour? other room) Smaller cups as loads are used for a very effective climax. They were shown and explained earlier and by appearing at the end they round out the routine very well, back to the begining.

You might consider having just one small cup appearing under another two. Using two regular cups and pattering about "Usually three cups used" and the third cup keeps turning up as part of the ball magic. "Oh, there it is." Would keep them off balance.

I think having three cups from under three cups could get repetative and mud-like. The climax should be climactic and not an additional phase of Endless Load Production.Let us know what you work out.
Hi Plungerman,

The author is David Regal. It's really a tight routine, much like one would expect from David.

Best,
Vlad
Regal's routine is is a brain frier.