(Close Window)
Topic: My new 14 " street wand
Proud of my new 14" wand with copper tips. The copper tips make it have a real nice weight. This probably could fit just as easily in the workshop section but since it's my new busker/street wand I thought I would post it here.
Nice wand. what kind of cups are those ?
Those are the penguin cups (faux cups)...but still pretty comfortable to work with, hopefully I can go to some jumbo cups in the future
Looks like a pretty heavy wand! are you not worried about it wrecking your cups?
It's not too much heavier then a standard 13.5" with metal tips. So far, I have not noticed my cups having any dents in them so I'm assuming it's fine. Of course although I do hit my cups for the sound effect I don't "beat" them. All in all I don't think it's much different then any other metal tipped hardwood wand out there. After shopping around I came to the conclusion that I just wanted to make my own, because I could not find what I really liked without paying 100.00. I should say I seriously considered Bill Palmer's solid brass wand on his site but it looked like it was out of stock. I definately prefer a bit "heavier" wand as long as it's balanced when I spin it. Cheerio
Taliking about wands, I have a bit of a history of being heavy handed with my wands as I bit the crap out of my table. So naturally they break. Tabman even made me 2 but guess what I broke one of them half way through a show, so the other one I have placed in my magic cabernet so I and vistors can gaze on it.
I have broken drum sticks as well.

Now I am using a Hikory stick it is simple but oh so tough I am so impressed with this that I am thinking of releasing it as the toughest wooden street wand on to the market. The waite is perfect.

Mario
Hi Mario,can you post a picture of your wand? Sounds nice... I am also available to making a few more of the oak wands with copper tips (length/color customizable).
Not yet but very soon.
M
If you like tough wands you should try the ironwood wand that Tom Franks sells with the Phoenix Cups. Toughest wand I have ever seen made out of wood. Tom used to have photos of his used cups somewhere on the net. He actually mashes the tops in so much they won't nest together any longer, and all that beating to mash them that far is done with the ironwood wand, if memory serves me correctly. Maybe Tom will comment on it.
You can get Iron Wood (lignumvitea) wands from Alivans as well, although it says thay are all on back order at the moment.
I don't know if they are the same as the ones Tom franks bundles in with the Phoenix cups but they look like they should do the job just fine.
http://www.amonhogue.com/Contact.html

I posted a better picture of my wand here. If anyone is interested just pm me and I'll make more...or maybe I'm just a nut and think this is nicer than it really is! =) -Amon
Andy, definitely not an Alivan's one with Tom's cups. Alivan's has some beautiful wands for sure.
Amon,
what are the tips made from?
I know they are copper I mean how have you fabricated/shaped them or are you using something that is that shape already?

Andy
Magicpitch,

They do indeed have some pretty good looking wands,
Do you know of any other sources for Ironwood wands? or even just ironwood dowls for turning?

Andy
I found copper tubing with this shaping already.
Cool,
bet that saves a whole chunk of time trying to shape the ends.
I keep my eyes open around plumbing supply stores but still havn't found anything that really takes my fancy, guess I'll be sticking to my drum stick for now.

Andy
Yes I was very pleased when I found these. They were exactly what I was looking for.
Andy, only source I have seen ANY iron wood as it this place [url=http://www.exoticwood.biz/desertironwood.htm]Desert Ironwood[/url] but the blanks aren't really suited for an entire wand. My guess is Tom Frank can get you something. He's on this forum, try PM'ing him.

Good luck-
Steve
Thanks Steve,
I might have to give that a go, I've always fancied making something a little more special than a cut down drum stick.

Andy
You can cut down a drum stick and still do something special to it like turning designs, paint it 2 or more colors even find some metal tips to put on it etc.
I already cut a ring about and inch from each end, My reasoning was that if Ironwood is as strong as it is supposed to be then I could create a more elaborate turning without significantly reducing the strength of the wand or having to increase the overall diameter.

and regardless of the practical issues, it would be pretty cool to have hand crafted your own ironwood wand!

Andy
Yes it would be cool to have crafted your own ironwood. If you get some success with it post a picture. It would be cool to see
If I ever get round to it I will gladly post pictures of the end product,
lol its probably quite a big "If" though.
It all really depends on being able to source the raw materials.

Andy
There are at least two different woods called "ironwood." One is lignnum vitae, which, for some reason Colin Rose translates as "long life." That's not what it means. It means "wood of life." It's actual taxonomical name is Machaerium Villosum. It exudes (this is probably the first time anyone has ever posted the word "exude" at the Café) a waxy substance, which can make it slippery and hard to handle. It also warps very readily.

Another "ironwood" is the Machaerium species. It grows in Bolivia and Brazil. I'm not sure which of these Tom Frank was using.
I have been using one of Tom's for a while and no exuding of anything so far.
I've also heard that "ironwood" is sometimes used as a generic term for a very strong wood.
I think Lignum Vitae was actually used for bearings on old wooden wagons. The self lubricating properties meant they didn't have to grease them up with pitch like other wagon wheels.

There's something called Ironwood that's readily found in Arizona or New Mexico. It polishes up beautifully, but is very hard to work. It wears down tools like crazy and the wood dust is toxic.
At the risk of ****ing someone off:
*You can't turn a dowel
*They don't make Lignum Vitae dowels anyway
*The term Ironwood is non-specific as to genus
*The Phoenix Cups came with a stick that was about the density of Oak.
Bill, I'm curious as to where you found that taxonomy? My understanding is that Lignum Vitae is of the Guaiacum genus.
Look, if you want to find out if your wand is the density of Lignum Vitae, something only a handful of species approach, there is a simple test. Get a pan of water and see if your wand floats or not. If it does, it's not. If it sinks like a rock, it just might be.
I make them, not that often, but I do. The wood is frightfully expensive and the turning blanks that you see advertised are for Pens, short little blocks that can be turned easily. Not of the size you'd need for a wand.
Bill,
I found some images of Machaerium Villosum finally. It looks very similar, but I don't think that is the accepted Lignum Vitae. Seems that Machaerium.. is made in thin flat boards. If I was going to plane wood, the last thing I'd want to try it on would be Guaia..what I said earlier.
I didn't say that Machaerium Villosum was lignum vitae. I said it was one of the species called ironwood. Lignum vitae is definitely the Guaiacum genus. I don't know if I would try to turn either one of these. They are both very messy woods. To turn them, you would really want to use metalworking tools.
Ooops! 'my worse.
As long as I keep my tools sharp, I do alright (there's a lesson there somewhere).
You might get some "tear-out" problems with metal working tools, but that is just extrapolation on my part not having done it myself.
Eric,

please forgive my unbelivable stupidity in using the term "dowl" in reference to sourcing an Ironwood blank.

I never realised what was going to be involved in the process, had I done so I would never have been so foolish as to even sugest such an outrageous project.

Thanks for putting me straight.
No worries Mate!

I hope things are well for you in 'ol Britannia (I hope that's not a faux pas; my being a Yank and all).

All the best!