(Close Window)
Topic: Behold the Scarabaeus
http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=5235

Thoughts?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Sep 27, 2006 03:32AM)
Sounds interesting, this is the type of effect where a demo is needed. It sound's completely ipossible. BORROW a bottle, BORROW a phone and penetrate the bottle with the phone. Need's a knife to get it out as well. It will be interesting to see whether the phone goes in through the side of the bottle or up through the bottom of the bottle.
The only part that is getting me is the 'Insta-ditch' which comes with the package. What could you be ditching? Hmmmmm
The only part that is getting me is the 'Insta-ditch' which comes with the package. What could you be ditching? Hmmmmm
------------------------------------------------------
May be you need another bottle of the same type? Without demo we simply can't tell if it is that good.

I probably will wait till some revw come out first. It is an pre-order item (mid Oct), so we may need to wait for a while.
You're going to love The Scarabaeus! There aren't any switches, duplicates, or extra bottles. The Scarabaeus gimmick allows you to use the spectator's unprepared plastic bottle and visually insert any borrowed item small enough to fit inside!

Insta-Ditch is a handy little tool that holds The Scarabaeus when you're not using it. Should you want to pocket it quickly, Insta-Ditch provides the perfect method to both ditch and retrieve the gimmick.

It's a fairly simple gimmick with a ton of possible routines. I include quite a bit of info in the instructions. We're having a ball with it here at The Depot! The demo video will be up in a couple of weeks. Thanks guys!

- Aaron Smith
Sound like a winner!! Looking forward for the demo
Looking forward to the endless speculation that will no doubt surround this product. Also looking forward to see how inaccurate the ad copy is for this one.
Don't be too negative too soon! Its sound too good and impossible. But I will wait for the demo before comment.
Wow...sounds too good...wow!
Just to solve a problem that happened with Daniel Garcia's Fraud DVD...where people were mystified that there was a switch of a bill involved, and somehow thought magic could be done without preparation, let me state something here.

I could be wrong, and Lord knows I have been, but I will be shocked if the bottle is unprepared. I am not going to say it sounds too good to be true, and I don't usually slam a product before release, but after the hysteria I have witnessed the last few days regarding advertisement copy vs. what you get, I will be amazed if there is not some preparation done to the bottle. I will auction all my Collectors Workshop stuff tomorrow if it proves to be true.

Now, I know I have argued in the past that method should not matter as opposed to the final impact on a spectator, but I notice that the ad does leave out...bottle can be openly showed on all sides after insertion, or spectator can examine, or no visible signs of preparation.

I hope I am wrong, (I do love my CW products) and I don't want to ruin sales, I just want the same people who slam a company, product, or creator because they felt misled "by the method" as opposed to the effect, to not jump up and down and say, but it said "any borrowed bottle, with no preparation."
Where can I put my bids in now? I mean, just in case....
Impossible Phone Booth is but one of the tricks included with The Scarabaeus. Try my Fort Knox Coins to Bottle. Borrow a bottle and the spectator's loose change. Stack the coins on your palm, slam the bottle against the coins, and they ALL go inside instantly! Everything is inspectable before and after both routines.

I found only two restrictions during product development. First, Gatorade-type bottles prove tricky with the cell phone routine, but water and soda bottles work great! Second, I prefer the cap on the bottle. In extreme closeup situations, Scarabaeus goes to work while the spectator screws on the cap. You can perform cap free, but I would rather there be a cap on the bottle in certain settings.

Every trick included with Behold The Scarabaeus is impromptu. The gimmick alters the bottle right in front of the spectator. You can use The Scarabaeus gimmick over and over again, but should it ever wear out, a simple process will breathe new life into the tiny device.

Remember, if you buy something from me and don't like it for any reason whatsoever, you can return it within thirty days. If it's because of something untrue in my ad copy, I'll pay the return shipping. Sales aren't final, but rather the start of something magical!

- Aaron Smith
Aaron -

You sound like the guy that is so nice, I just want to hate you.

Blast, I just might have to break my rule of diving into brand new, destined to be hyped, unreviewed magic.

Can't wait for a video...

Derek Merdinyan
Ill vouch for Aaron on his commitment to being a GREAT dealer... I called him today with some issues on some pk rings I bought , and after speaking for a few, and clearing some thoughts up, we were laughing like old friends. Understand that I don't know Aaron from Adam, (does anyone know Adam?) but as a person he comes across as that ols friend you havent talked to in awhile. And that translates over to his business. NOt a lot of dealers let you send things back, let alone just because you didn't like it. All that being said, I am not sure I wanna put a cell phone in a bottle. It might have some water or what not in it. just playing with a water bottle right now , I have to shake the ever loving crap outta it to get ALL the water out and even then there are some tiny drops... This is just MY concern. don't flame me to much for it!!!! AN I might get this for the other things you can do.

Judah Vee
[quote]...Remember, if you buy something from me and don't like it for any reason whatsoever, you can return it within thirty days. If it's because of something untrue in my ad copy, I'll pay the return shipping. Sales aren't final, but rather the start of something magical![/quote]

Good to see that some guarantee their products. Nice.
I saw Chris Angel do this effect on one of his shows. It looked great a phone in a bottle , Hmmmm He did another one like it with a bottle cap I wonder if it was the same gimmick??? don't know but the add on Hocus Pocus said many items can be used, not only the cell phone.. I am think of getting it I just wonder if the gimmick is made to last, or am I wasitng more money??
anyone with answers yet???
This sounds very-interesting, I just pre-ordered this product and I'll gladly review once I've recieved-it.

Best Regards,

-Erick
Just to let everyone know, as Michael's lawyer, I get dibs on all his CW stuff. I can't wait to get my hands on his Burmese Bells ;) (sorry Michael, I had to say it)
Just out of curiosity, why will it be weeks for a demo? It seems nowadays, if you were planning on releasing a demo in the first place, why not do it before you start selling the product? A good demo is easy to do and takes no time whatsoever. A nice live performance demo would be great, and exactly what most people want to see. I think the product sounds like it has potential. But being mislead oh so many times now, I am very skeptical.
Im not someone who is going to ask questions to try and figure out the method involved. I just wan't to know is the bottle really completely examinable, presentable, or dirty. Basically can someone take the bottle with thier cell phone in it and carry it around a party showing everyone and having everyone examining it?
Can the spectators handle the bottle immediatley after the penetration and before the performer cuts it open?
[quote]
On 2006-09-27 22:40, runawayjag wrote:
Where can I put my bids in now? I mean, just in case....
[/quote]

First up will be Gumball and Tray of Doom.........

And Eric....Burmese Bells is the only CW thing I have ever returned. But if I still had them, I would have strangled you with them by now.
Remember Icarus ? hmmmmmmm ........
[quote]
On 2006-09-28 07:31, Maforen wrote:
I saw Chris Angel do this effect on one of his shows. It looked great a phone in a bottle , Hmmmm He did another one like it with a bottle cap I wonder if it was the same gimmick??? don't know but the add on Hocus Pocus said many items can be used, not only the cell phone.. I am think of getting it I just wonder if the gimmick is made to last, or am I wasitng more money??
anyone with answers yet???
[/quote]

Indeed, this was my first idea too. The effect should look like the same but better because criss angel sleeved the mobile, so itīs impossible to give the bottle with the second mobile to the owner of the first mobile. I would notice that the mobile into the bottle isnīt mine.
That means that the technique behind this effect must be better if I really can use a borrowed bottle and phone.
Iīm very keen to see the video.
[quote]
On 2006-09-28 07:31, Maforen wrote:
I saw Chris Angel do this effect on one of his shows. It looked great a phone in a bottle , Hmmmm He did another one like it with a bottle cap I wonder if it was the same gimmick???[/quote]

I thpught the one with the bottle cap looked like a version of Daniel Garcias "Wassup" from his Next lecture notes.
[quote]
On 2006-09-27 04:32, Christopher Williams wrote:
Sounds interesting, this is the type of effect where a demo is needed. It sound's completely ipossible. BORROW a bottle, BORROW a phone and penetrate the bottle with the phone. Need's a knife to get it out as well. It will be interesting to see whether the phone goes in through the side of the bottle or up through the bottom of the bottle.
[/quote]

Isn't this the effect performed by Criss Angel? If so, I'd say it's well worth the money, and certainly provides the requested demo!
This isn't the same effect that Criss Angel did. Apparently this only works with plastic bottles, not glass.

-Matt
[quote]
On 2006-09-28 00:25, AaronSmith wrote:
Impossible Phone Booth is but one of the tricks included with The Scarabaeus. Try my Fort Knox Coins to Bottle. Borrow a bottle and the spectator's loose change. Stack the coins on your palm, slam the bottle against the coins, and they ALL go inside instantly! Everything is inspectable before and after both routines.

I found only two restrictions during product development. First, Gatorade-type bottles prove tricky with the cell phone routine, but water and soda bottles work great! Second, I prefer the cap on the bottle. In extreme closeup situations, Scarabaeus goes to work while the spectator screws on the cap. You can perform cap free, but I would rather there be a cap on the bottle in certain settings.

Every trick included with Behold The Scarabaeus is impromptu. The gimmick alters the bottle right in front of the spectator. You can use The Scarabaeus gimmick over and over again, but should it ever wear out, a simple process will breathe new life into the tiny device.

Remember, if you buy something from me and don't like it for any reason whatsoever, you can return it within thirty days. If it's because of something untrue in my ad copy, I'll pay the return shipping. Sales aren't final, but rather the start of something magical!

- Aaron Smith
[/quote]

Hi Aaron

I hope you're finally getting enough sleep these days :). Question: can the spectator examine the bottle after insertion of the phone, but before cutting the bottle open?
Sleep? You know, I'm convinced nobody needs more than an hour of sleep per day. It's to recharge one's batteries, and in this day of cell phones, laptops, and other mobile technologies I believe science should create a Quick Charge Sleep System! Sort of a high-tech power nap :o)

Regarding your Scarabaeus question, I'm torn between answering it as a magician and the guy that's selling the product.

[b]As an honest business man:[/b]
No. If the spectator examines the bottle closely before it's cut open, there's a possibility they'll discover part of the secret.

[b]As a magician tickled pink with Scarabaeus:[/b]
Yes. I hand the bottle to the spectator when performing for groups and ask they hold it up for everyone to see.

Scarabaeus was sent to me as "Phone in Bottle" and didn't include a real-world gimmick. However, I was very impressed by the effect, and what I've brought to market is something extraordinary. A powerful tool for all of us. You'll lose sleep too!

-Aaron Smith
I would be completely satisfied if its presentable after inserting the cell phone. As long as I can mostly show it and they wont see the method then cut it open I think this could be a killer trick. Im probably gonna pick this one up if I have the money at the release.
Can this be done with a full bottle of soda? Like unopened?
I don't think you can do it with an unopened or full soda bottle, but ... would you really put a working cell phone inside a full bottle of Coke?

Dave
Just wondering :)
I'd just like to be the 1st to commend Mr Smith on his honest and forthright contribution to this thread. It is extremely refreshing to read through a thread about a yet to be released product and have the supplier of the effect answer questions posed as honestly as he can without tipping the method. No one expects to be told how an effect is done in these threads but knowing the honest pros and cons of an effect are crucial, every effect has them and we all know it. Other dealers/Inventors should follow Mr Smiths lead in trusting in his product and not being afraid to be honest about the compromises you have to make to achieve the effect. I've yet to buy anything from the Magic Depot but I'll certainly be stopping by more frequently after reading this thread.
Well I worked with the guy who actually came up with the effect before he sent it to Mr smith. I will tell you this is a very good effect and you wont be disappointed. What it says it can do it can!
Me is looking for a demo video too ,the effect sounds very interessting. :)
I don't believe Aaron has made a demo yet. But Kevin who actually came up with the method. He had a demo of it but the video was poor quality. But this is a great effect and has a good gimmick.

Vonbodan
I don't know about anyone-else, but I'm still waiting-now on back-order for it to be sent to me? I'm sure this item will be nice, it's just the anticipation of wanting to play-around with it that's killing-me :P

Cheers,

-Erick
An update!

Behold the Scarabaeus will officially start shipping Monday, October 30th! Some will actually go out this Friday! I should have the demo video up in a few days. It's coming from the included VCD, giving a clear overview of The Scarabaeus and its abilities. Included on the VCD is mini documentary-style footage showing the development process, meetings, and actual production of The Scarabaeus!

Thank you so much for your business and support!

- Aaron Smith
Awesome can't wait for some video :)
I don't know if this is "Behold the Scarabaeus" but if it is, it looks pretty darn good if the bottle can be examined afterward. I can kind of figure out how it works.

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=9634&PHPSESSID=791da0e8ae7d14b7aabbe0e4bf1599c
Hello Folks... An Update!

I thought Scarabaeus would ship early, but I won't have everything ready until Halloween (tomorrow) as originally stated in the ad. I'm waiting on the disks. The moment they arrive, we'll assemble the packages and get them shipped. Sorry for jumping the gun last week. I really wanted Scarabaeus to ship a few days early, but underestimated delivery time for supplies. That puts all preorder units shipping on or before Wednesday of this week. Thank you for your support guys!

-Aaron Smith
Why ain't I surprised by pre-order delays?
Oh, leave it to me to ship both on time and late simultaneously!

-Aaron Smith
Any updates Aaron?
I spoke with them yesterday. Orders were shipping out this week. He said I should see it in a couple of days.
Whats the verdict on this, should I buy it. add it to my family shows here in uk.
WHAT'S GOIN' ON!ARON...

NO DEMO,NO SHIP.AND NO INFO.
Yes ship! Hope I got the lingo right :o)

Preorders are shipping in the order they were received. The demo is taking longer than expected because I'm a newbie at editing video. I took a crash course last week, but am still working on it. I'll probably be happy with it sometime Monday or Tuesday.

We start next week on three new Depot releases: The Count's Forcing Elegance, Apparition, and Mr. Madman's Talking Box!

Thanks guys! Have a great weekend...

-Aaron Smith
Awaiting the 1st review.
[quote]
On 2006-10-30 17:28, ekiden wrote:
I don't know if this is "Behold the Scarabaeus" but if it is, it looks pretty darn good if the bottle can be examined afterward. I can kind of figure out how it works.

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=9634&PHPSESSID=791da0e8ae7d14b7aabbe0e4bf1599c
[/quote]

Looked great, til he removed the phone.....awaiting reviews from those that preordered.
I just got this yesterday and the video did not play - anyone else have this problem?
The video from the magicvideodepot is not the official video it seems
Hello fellow magi,

I also received this yesterday, and the video did not play.
they said that there was an error copying the CD-Rom, and that the video would be up shortly, and sorry for the inconvenience.
that's all I know.

alex
Another update -

The instructions refer to a knife that is used to cut open the bottle after the trick. This knife is supposed to be included and is not. I asked Aaron about this and he was very prompt to tell me that this was another screw up and the knife and video will be mailed soon.

I'd like to do a review, but I will hold off passing judgement on this trick until I spend more time with it!

MK
Same issues (CD and knife). But Aaron has been so amazing to work with, I am not yet concerned. I am sure he will come through.
Same - I received a quick response that things will be taken care of
Same here...I have already received the knife. Now if I could just see the video.
Aaron,I already received 64 Behold the Scarabaeus through Magic city for the first
time on 16th Nov.
Furthermore, I am waiting for 80 sets to receive.
However I can not SEE a CD and knife is not included 64 Scarabaeus!
Also,I sent mail about this,But no reply!!

Please advice and help immediately.
I'm sure they'll be sending you replacements. Thanks for your order!

-Aaron Smith
Aaron,Thanks for your reply me.
Ok,I trust you and I'll be waiting for a liitle.
If it is possible, I want you to advise them from you to ship out immediately.

Thanks.
I'm curious if there will be a performance video of this effect, this would be nice to actually see a (Demo).

Cheers,

Kjenkings
Is everyone else who received this still having problems with the enclosed CD.

I did recieve the missing piece, but would like to see the videos.
I've been reading this thread for quite sometime. This is my first post in the fourm but I've been lurking for quite awhile. I have been thinking about this and would really like to see a demo video. Is it worth the money? Will it be worth it when the bugs are worked out? What do you that have it think of what you got?

I will go introduce myself in the proper place tomarrow.
good night all
Hey guys,

I havent received anything yet.
I havent gotten in the missing piece, or the enclosed video to view the demo and instruction.

I am on HOLD on this, until I receive it.

Aaron,

Have you shipped the extra something, and the new formated VCD for viewing?

LEt us know

Alex
At last a knife of a missing part arrived today.
However, a bad problem is not yet settled.
I cannot watch a CD.
36 sets of remainder does not arrive.
There is not a report of the situation.
I cannot consider this as business.

Aaron,

Are you thinking about it?
Alex, I don't have an order or an email from you... perhaps you're waiting on another store to send the items? I'll handle your order directly if you want, but you'll need to email me the details (your address and where you purchased). I've sent out all the replacement knives and will get the new CD's this week. Thanks guys!

-Aaron Smith
Hi Aaron.
I bought product from Magic city.
I preordered 100.
I got 64.
But I Did Not get 36 or more yet.
Magic City will have more Scarabaeus this week (with new CD's). I'm sure they will complete your order with that stock. Thanks HeavenzTricker!
Just stumbled upon this thread and I have to say that the description of the effect really impressed me.
sounds almost too good to be true so to say.
for those who ordered, please post a review as soon as you can as I am really curious to hear your oppinions!
Aaron, I wish you all the best with this release!

-Matt
You can find my revw in the good, bad and garbage sections.
There is a video at:

looks good to me
I didn't like the video.
Too choppy .. edited city.
I'll pass.
Looks like exactly what I thought it would be.
Remember, you can Behold the Scarabaeus risk free! If you buy something from me and don't like the item, return it within thirty days for a refund, exchange, or store credit. At The Magic Depot sales aren't final, but rather the start of something magical!

- Aaron Smith
http://www.magic.org