(Close Window)
Topic: Max Maven New DVD
Any reviews,news,or links,about Max Maven New DVD.
I was not aware of a new Max Maven DVD. What is the name of it?
As far as I know, they have not been released yet.
There is a thread on these here: [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=174571&forum=111&50]link[/url]

Tony
The lastest on Max Maven go to: maxmaven.com
This is taking forever!
From Max Maven's website;
"The new DVD set is in its final stages, and the expected release date is mid-October."
Soon
Much ado about nothing. :)
It comes out in October ;)
Any news ?
It is out at L&L you can order it, 2 set dvd for $99
Already ordered my copy.
Max Maven traveled from Hollywood to Lake Tahoe. He brought NOTHING
but a nice suit. On the way from the airport to the studio, he stopped at a supermarket for less than ten minutes and spent less than ten dollars. Once in his room, he spent less than half an hour preparing, and proceeded to go on stage and do a 50-minute performance of mentalism.

NO Pre-Show Work
NO Stooges
NO Clipboards
NO Nailwriters
NO Playing Cards
NO ESP Cards
NO Billets
NO Wallets
NO Gaffs
NO Gimmicks
NO Special Materials
NO Muscle Reading
NO Hypnotism
NO Threads
NO Mirrors
NO Electronics
NO Rough & Smooth
NO Gilbreath Principle
NO Filler
in fact,
NOTHING but solid mentalism and great entertainment.

Let’s be clear. This is not a cluster of “substitute” stuff to make up for having lost your props. It is a full-length show of top-notch real world material, much of it revealed for the very first time. The complete work, including variations and options, plus discussion of performance structure, scripting segues, audience management, blocking, timing—everything thoroughly explained with an unprecedented degree of detail.

Included is the rare “Para-Sight” routine, out of print for over 25 years; copies of the original limited-release manuscript have sold for as much as $400. And that’s something!

A two-DVD set (with as much content as most three-DVD sets). Running time: 230 minutes, plus Easter Eggs and bonus material. Featuring Eugene Burger, Brandon Combs, Gene Matsuura, Stephen Minch, Jan Rose and Michael Weber. $99.95 2-volume boxed set
This sounds like a fantastic DVD. It is on my list and soon to be ordered!

Can anyone give a review once they receive it?

Mark.
Will anyone in the UK stock this I wonder?

A nice Christmas present for me! Instead of the usual socks and after shave :(

Piers.
I ordered mine this past weekend. I'm looking forward to this, but I really want to see Max's thoughts on the Gilbreath Principle. :) Maybe next project.

Tony
I ordered mine yesterday from Jheff. He has a 20% discount pre-order sale on the DVD. package. Here's the details - http://www.jheff.com/Max_Maven_Nothing.html

Uriah
Thanks Uriah. That is a really good deal.

Mark.
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Oct 9, 2006 12:21PM)
230 minutes of MAX doing NOTHING! :)

That's a real awesome deal!

Tangentially, any release date for the Equivoque DVD? Max Maven and David Berglas are in my opinion two undisputed masters of the technique, therefore getting a full MAX MAVEN DVD showing his nuances and psychological touches to this age old technique is a MUST!
Perhaps this is partly what he is using in 'Nothing' ? (In reference to the Equivoque)

Col.
I half expect to be "led down the garden path" with this DVD, so to speak. Especially after the debacle of the "Protocals". I have visions of hundreds of people pre-ordering Maven's "Nothing" DVD, waiting for weeks for production and distribution, finally getting the box in the mail and opening it up to find....well, nothing.

Of course, I am sure this won't happen and I expect the DVD to be great. I do think it would be freakin' hilarious to read a bunch of complaints about recieving an empty box. Meanwhile, Max could simply state, "I was completely truthful in my advertising. I told you I was selling 'Nothing' in a DVD box and that is what you got!"

Conlaw
Hah!!! Now that would be funny.

Mark. :rotf:
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Oct 9, 2006 01:02PM)
[quote]
On 2006-10-09 13:45, Colin wrote:
Perhaps this is partly what he is using in 'Nothing' ? (In reference to the Equivoque)

Col.
[/quote]

Colin, agreed! Even in his former Videomind Series, Equivoque was part of most of his effects, but if I did not get it wrong, I think there is an upcoming EQUIVOQUE DVD from Max.
I'd like to think so... and about time too!

Nothing quite like learning from a Master.

David Berglas's book is wonderful, as is Docc Hilford's Manuscript, however this would be the cherry on top.

Col.
Man I am going to be sooo broke
I already am, between this, Acidus Globus, and a couple of other purchases, I've gone through A month's worth of my magic budget in just a weekend.

Tony
This MONTH"S? Heck, this dvd constitutes THREE months worth of budget for me Tony.
Then your month's budget is low :) I just placed my order and I can't wait.
Yep, my magic budget is low. Then again, my household bill budget ain't!!
Oh just found this thread :) Anyone who ordered it, please give a detailed review when you get it. I'm thinking about getting it. :)
[quote]
On 2006-10-09 23:30, Blindside785 wrote:
Oh just found this thread :) Anyone who ordered it, please give a detailed review when you get it. I'm thinking about getting it. :)
[/quote]

Don't think. Just go quickly to your keyboard and bring up JHEFF's site and order the DVD set.
Hocus-pocus.com is offering a special now till 17th Oct, free global shipping.
That's a deal. :)

Andy
Do someone knows how many Equivoque material Max Maven have been included in this DVD?
Is there some type of table of contents for this? I like the concept and all, but I'm really curious as to what types of routines are in there.
If the table of contents is not a major secret of those dvds when I receive them I will post some of the contents if someone does not beat me by posting it first
[quote]
On 2006-10-11 09:56, Mind_Magic wrote:
Do someone knows how many Equivoque material Max Maven have been included in this DVD?

[/quote]

A: 1 method are included
B: 3 methods are included
c: 5 methods are included

NOW, point to two of these, than lift any finger...
I love the "No Gilbreath Principle" comment on the advert :rotf:.
I can't believe no one has written on the content yet -surely someone has placed this in the dvd drive?
As far as I'm aware the DVD hasn't shipped out yet.
L&L sent me an email that it went out on Friday.

-Ben
I received my copy of "Nothing" last night (Sat.), my friend and partner Jheff got his shipment from Murphy's yesterday morning and he gave me my copy at the Castle that night... Later Greg Arce and I watched the DVD on my laptop at the IHOP on Sunset (yeah, we couldn't wait to see what was included)...

Overall you're going to like this DVD, it's got some good, useable stuff in it... Is it going to be to everyone's liking? No, but then again what is? (I liked it though)... For the majority you'll find bits and pieces that you'll begin to use on a regular basis... When you get your DVD be sure to watch the "Extended Show" version of the show (there are 2 versions), reason being is that the extended version includes one extra effect which is quite novel and looks fun to do... Max's sharing and teaching of his "Para-Sight" routine is also a very nice addition to the show/DVD...

Later during the the explanation section Max not only goes into the workings of each effect but also into the background behind each idea, the variations of certain effects since they were initially conceived and what and why he developed his versions and included it in the show... Be sure to watch the interview between Max and Michael Weber on DVD 1 because it's quite good and illuminating...

I don't want to reveal everything that's on the DVD's until more people receive theirs... this is a good DVD and worth having in your library... it's filled with good workeable material and it'll also make you think about what other routines you have or know about that you can also use the "nothing" premise on...

Hope this helps...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
The Thoughtreader
Õ¿Õ¬

PS: The DVD's also come with hidden "Easter Eggs"... if anyone finds them please be sure to post about the discovery and how to find them ourselves...
Thanks, with any luck, mine will be in tomorrow. L&L said they shipped last week.

Tony
Ordered mine too cant wait could somebodt who has it maybe give a brief descrition of he effects on the dvd? thx
Nice review - can't wait to hear what everyone else has to say, David.
The only Easter Egg I came across so far (if it qualifies ) is at the end listen to Max as he gives the credits... he tells you where to go for something special...
Yep...still waiting!!! Anyone care to list what is on the DVDs?

Mark.
Nothing
I'm curious to know why some members are selling Nothing, just release!
They did not like it.

Possibly made a copy.

Really do not have it yet but by the time some one buys it theirs will have shown up and they did one of the previouse.

J ack

H.O...AAAAAAAAAAA----X
Can not beleive that there is always someone asking why selling this or that?????

Tons of thousands reasons...

Or no reasons at all...

Should we sell only old stuff???

We would have the right to sell new stuff after 6 months delay???

Who cares???

[quote]
On 2006-10-18 15:26, Mind_Magic wrote:
I'm curious to know why some members are selling Nothing, just release!
[/quote]
Maybe he is just curious why people are already selling this. Hmmm....

Mark. :hmm:
And now it goes again...

[quote]
On 2006-10-18 22:07, mrunge wrote:
Maybe he is just curious why people are already selling this. Hmmm....

Mark. :hmm:
[/quote]
Ok you said there are tens of thousands.
I came up with three.

Give me three more.

Just for fun.

J ack
My point is ...who cares ???

Like,not like,pay the rent,the bills,the pills,the beer,make money,lose money,lose my time and yours!!!

[quote]
On 2006-10-18 22:14, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Ok you said there are tens of thousands.
I came up with three.

Give me three more.

Just for fun.

J ack
[/quote]
I thought that PILLS were cheap in Canada? :)
I laugh when people buy max's work. Max himself was heard stating, why would I release any of the material I perform? Well if this sh_t isn't good enough for max, why should I fork over the money for it?
So the question now becomes, what exactly is this DVD about ? Nothing, (or just a bunch of ...sh_t) ?
To be quite honest, the original premise seems a bit "Egotistical" to me.
Of course a real mind reader would need nothing.....or would he?
No Cryatal Balls, No VooDoo Dolls, No Chicken Bones, No Tarot Cards, No Celestial Bodies or anything else somewhat interesting....?????
Who would like a show like that?

Dave
The premis of the DVD was good, but it is a topic that we have discussed here before. What is of great value is the thinking and psychology of the effects and routining, and the discussions both on the act and on the various topics between
Max and Michael Weber. Well worth the investment, at least for me. If this advice from one of our top thinkers and performers is not what you are looking for, my suggestion is that you bypass this set.

Tony
So long as it isn't the DVD Protocols of the Elders of Magic...

MM and KW... I'm sure just watching the performance with no explanation alone would provide enough knowledge to make the purchase worthy
It is not the Protocols.

You get a discusion on mentalism, on building and act, and much more
You get the act
You get an ****ysis of the act and explanation of the effects
You also get a voiceover commentary By Max over the act

Mentalism is not dead!

Tony
It looks like you care! So much that you feel a need to respond to a simple, innocent question from a fellow magician, not once, but twice.

It always happens. There is always someone who has to have a smart answer in any group. Thanks for sharing yours. Now we'll sit back and wait for the next outstanding response that is sure to follow.

[quote]
On 2006-10-18 22:19, RIVARDJLR wrote:
My point is ...who cares ???

Like,not like,pay the rent,the bills,the pills,the beer,make money,lose money,lose my time and yours!!!
Max states on the dvd that he indeed does use the material included. He did change his opening because he wants that to remain his.

I really like this set. This isn't filler.
C, thank you for the "skinny".
Outside of the whining of "why should I buy this" or "Is this Max's real stuff" etc. I believe you are really missing THE POINT that is being made by Max himself with these DVD's.
This is about the nuiances of performance not just a set of 'tricks'. Personally, the voice over that Max does as he walks through the performance makes this, to me at least, the best investment I have made in the past 12 months.

- Nicodemus
[quote]
On 2006-10-18 22:51, Slim King wrote:
No Cryatal Balls, No VooDoo Dolls, No Chicken Bones, No Tarot Cards, No Celestial Bodies or anything else somewhat interesting....?????
Who would like a show like that?
[/quote]

It might not suit your aesthetic, Slim, but some performers have found that when there are no props to hide behind, the only thing left is the strength of your personality.

Best,
Neil
Nicodemus, you are correct. The presentation and the thinking behind it are the point of the dvds. I was just responding to mainly to Scott's post. I frankly don't understand some of the flack this set is receiving. Especially with all the cr*p that's flooding the market right now. Even if Max's style isn't your cup of tea, it's hard to deny the value of the information.
Then you agree Neil....... Like I said.......EGO.
[quote]
On 2006-10-19 10:09, Slim King wrote:
Then you agree Neil....... Like I said.......EGO.
[/quote]

I don't understand what you're getting at, Slim, so I can't agree with you. Could you elaborate?

Thanks,
Neil
Since the voice over has been mentioned [it's sort of an easter egg]that was what I learnt the most from.If it is a funny presentation that can be adapted by many with a sure fire,clever method then no one could be disapponted with the 'Bank night' effect with the 6 lunch bags. Scott Xavier,I was disappointed in your 'Hyped' effect.$50.00 for Max Holdens criss cut force.I know you improved it later on but why the rush to print with the first version.
Oh, I love the bank night effect. That might go into my stage show. And the watch routine is pure genius.
I do not believe that all Performers use Props to hide behind :)
I should have put a smiley Face after my last post.
I believe that you (Niel) DON"T agree with me.
Baseball is played with Bats, and Gloves. It makes the game a little better. I suppose you could play the field with just your bare hands, but wouldn't that be "Just Ego"?
To me, props Enhance the performance. No need to hide behind them. To me your post sounded a little "Putdownish" if you can understand that.
My question wasn't if You the Mentalist would feel great about it, it was "Who'd like a show like that"????
I was thinking about the viewers of the show........Not the performers EGO.
Is that clearer? :)
Dave
Slim are you not the ultimate non prop mentalist? You do most of your stuff over the phone. Where is the prop?
I use Crystal Balls, VooDoo Boxes, Chinese Coins, Bones, VooDoo Dolls, Tarot Cards, Dice, Pirate Daubloons, and even a Modern Calculator in my live show.
I actually DO send some props to the DJ if I have the time. However, the radio stuff uses Mental Props as a rule.
Dave
Thanks for explaining your position, Slim.

Actually, I have no problem with the use of "interesting" props (as, like Dr. Jaks, I think they can add exoticism and atmosphere). But the temptation among some lesser performers is to simply demonstrate their toys instead of impressing their audiences with the power of their personas. One can do both, but many do not.

On the other hand, I would never make the assertion that performing without such props equals self-indulgent and uninteresting theater. Just ask the millions of audience members who have been transfixed by Kreskin, Dunninger, Brown, Koran, Canasta, and Hoy (for starters).

Best,
Neil
Wow this seems like a maximum entertainment debate...
I would ask them Neil, but I can't seem to find them. A few people have heard of Kreskin, however, very few have heard of the rest. At least in the States.
The Very Best :)
Dave
As stated by many others, the commentary track is worth the price of admission to this DVD set. Everyhing else is just gravy.

Mr. Maven is not the Red Cross or a non-profit organization, he released the DVD to make money. Having said that, his respect for the art and the sincere desire for us to learn from and respect the works of mentalists from previous generations comes across clearly on the DVD. His desire for us all to become better at what we do also comes out through the themes, presentations, and processes discussed.

I believe any mentalist or magician with a sincere desire to move the art forward will find this DVD set to be a good investment.
I have placed my order for this contentious product, and look forward to posting a review for you folks. The marketing - or indeed lack of it - has worked for me. thanks for all of the info on this guys!
I own the DVD set

here are my thoughts
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=183015&forum=111&0
It was a pretty bad review
I saw some performance footage(?) :) on youtube last night. Not impressive to me, but perhaps to others.
MY QUESTION: Are there ANY new methods aside from what most Magician/Mentalists already have? I can write the presentations myself.
[quote]
On 2006-10-19 15:51, Slim King wrote:

Baseball is played with Bats, and Gloves. It makes the game a little better. I suppose you could play the field with just your bare hands, but wouldn't that be "Just Ego"?[/quote]

In some circles here in the UK it could be called "Cricket"......
[quote]
On 2006-10-18 23:10, Tony Iacoviello wrote:You get an ****ysis of the act and explanation of the effects...Mentalism is not dead![/quote]

Mentalism might not be dead, but I wish the James Bond "secret" coding, e.g., ***ysis would die a slow death..or perhaps someone here could creat a more difficult code to crack.

Now that would be a cause for deeper ****ysis for us to ****yize....

I just love the auto pilot here that adds **** in place of a n a l..come to think of it, it does strike me as being a bit too **** some how...
Reuben

I agree with you 100%.

Tony
[quote]
On 2006-10-18 22:24, Scott Xavier wrote:
I laugh when people buy max's work. Max himself was heard stating, why would I release any of the material I perform? Well if this sh_t isn't good enough for max, why should I fork over the money for it?
[/quote]

At this point in retrospect, I wonder if Scott wasn't on to... Something ?

Yeah, what Is up with this "auto censoring" ? Someone cannot deal with the legitimacy of the English language ?
I'm not sure about the statement attributed to Max Maven. This is the same guy who wrote the color series in the 1970s, detailing the principles that made up his act.

The reasons I enjoy the Nothing DVD set have little to nothing to do with the effects used in the act.

Tony
[quote]
On 2006-10-24 08:02, Slim King wrote:
I saw some performance footage(?) :) on youtube last night. Not impressive to me, but perhaps to others.
MY QUESTION: Are there ANY new methods aside from what most Magician/Mentalists already have? I can write the presentations myself.
[/quote]

This is an important question and issue for many. My question, is an L&L studio audience a true reflection of the (the real world trenches) ?
... probably not.

Q. Did Max discuss the use/preparation etc., of patter or scripts?

That would have been interesting.

Piers.
He did go into script construction during his conversation with Michael Weber where he discussed setting an overall framework and tone for the performance. It was one of many topics discussed, so he doesn't go into great depth. You can find a more complete discussion in Ken Weber's [i]Maximum Entertainment[/i].

Curt
And what about the secret wishper he did to the woman?
It's a post hipnotic order?, It's only for make the show longer?, What thinks the woman's husband about this?

I can't sleep....
Just finished watching and tell you the truth I liked it. It definitely helps to have been doing mentalism for some time. Mr. Maven throws out so many tiny details which really aren't mentioned anywhere else. Little points I wouldn't even think to ask. If anything, it causes you to think about the craft. Whether you agree with what was said or not you have to think about it before forming an opinion. As to new methods. He did not bring anything to the table that I wasn't aware of, but he did bring things up about the methods that just never crossed my mind. I think it defintely was worth the money (to be honest, my girlfriend got it for me...but I did get her a Dooney and Burke bag...oh well...lol)
Message: Posted by: thinkingisbelieving (Oct 26, 2006 11:34AM)
I just watched my copy last night and (speaking only for myself here), I thought it was worth the investment.

As far as the actual effects are concerned, I found them interesting. But what I got the most from was the round-table discussion on the 2nd disc. Hearing the different points of view from the others as well as Max's own self-criticism was refreshing and provided insight to developing routines. The idea of "process" is something that in my opinion is overlooked by many performers, and a lot of shows wind up being little more than a collection of effects. Speaking for myself, I appreciated the insight and I will probably be spending many rehearsals evaluating what I do based on many of the things talked about.

If you get this DVD just to learn a "few new tricks," you may be disappointed. But I viewed it from the perspective of how the information could improve my show, and I look forward to seeing the results in my next rehearsal.

Did I agree with everything Max said? Of course not. (I still haven't carved my hairline into a "Max-Do.") But I do defer to his years of experience and knowledge. If I'm going to learn from anyone - even if it's what NOT to do - Max would be a good source.
[quote]
On 2006-10-26 12:34, thinkingisbelieving wrote:

Did I agree with everything Max said? Of course not. (I still haven't carved my hairline into a "Max-Do.")
[/quote]

I think Mr. Maven was quite emphatic on this point. You should not imitate him or his style. This would mean you agree with him here, not disagree :).
Message: Posted by: thinkingisbelieving (Oct 26, 2006 02:32PM)
[quote]
On 2006-10-26 13:11, splice wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-10-26 12:34, thinkingisbelieving wrote:

Did I agree with everything Max said? Of course not. (I still haven't carved my hairline into a "Max-Do.")
[/quote]

I think Mr. Maven was quite emphatic on this point. You should not imitate him or his style. This would mean you agree with him here, not disagree :).

[/quote]

Exactly my point. I just made it in a clumsy fashion.
The DVDs are well worth the investment.

As to comments if Max's performance for the shoot has too much dead time, it is very subjective. Why? Because you are not there, that's why. Watching a taped performance vs being there is totally different when you are being "part of" the show. Was Max as glib as he is on stage for his regular act (for those who have seen)? He isn't, and he has clearly pointed out that you are not getting the lines he uses in his shows. He doesn't need to, because his performance suits the context for the group he is performing for and more importantly his purpose of shooting the DVDs. If you want to improve on yr performance and get tips on how to better manage the crowd, there's no hard and fast rules. You can't learn that. It's an art by itself.
You can actually learn how to manage a crowd

You learn from experience.

Also some of the dead time is when people seated down in the audience are doing whatever such as adding numbers or looking at a magazine----the rest of the audience cannot see this and they should be iether standing up or up on stage.

If the audience cannot see something that is going on--- this is dead time or rather dying time-

for someone who has performed allot- ie Max- he should know better and really should have organised himself allot better on the night.

from my angle- he turned up in a suit and went to the shops spent less that 10 minutes and less than $10 when it was time to perform- made it up as he went along this is not something worth purchasing- unless he does a good job.
[quote]But what I got the most from was the round-table discussion on the 2nd disc. Hearing the different points of view from the others as well as Max's own self-criticism was refreshing and provided insight to developing routines.[/quote]

Really? What was something you learned from the other people on the panel? I'm finding it impossible to remember a single thing anyone said other than "that was great, Max!" Go on, try...

They took the title to heart and literally said NOTHING!

Best,
James
I cannot comment on the content of the DVD's because I've not ordered my copy of the set yet, but the concept is so intriguing. The hypothetical question has been talked about ad nauseum here, and this is the first I've seen (on commercially released DVD, anyway) anybody really try it out... put it into practice. I think it would be neat to see other performers come up with the other concepts that involve a high degree of risk (that's pretty much why this is intriguing isn't it... how someone gets out of a jam and completes their mission... anybody know if "24" is a hit show or not?) and film it. Kudos to Max for having the bits to do this raw and publicly release it. At the very least I admire his courage.
I think most performers, in a perfect world, would get more out of the talk about the theory, reasoning behind his actions, explanations for how/why he dealth with a spectator in this or that way, etc. than any tipping of methods, although the explanation and elaboration on the parasight routine is also valuable.

Maybe that is just wishful thinking, since so many magicians and mentalists both are much more into collecting secrets than perfecting one's art. Am I sounding curmudgeonly before my time?
Don't worry mentalskeptic,

With so many different personalities in magic (heck, in the world) I think there is plenty room for both theory and collecting secrets. Tommy Wonder obviously thought so judging by the content of his books and I can't think of many who would argue with him. Another example is Max Maven himself. He has a lot of theory is his work, but also lots of tricks (I'm thinking of Prism, for example). I love a good intelligent, thoughtful approach to magic but sometimes its just plain more fun to collect secrets. I guess its kind of like with movies... sometimes you're in the mood for "Lord of the Rings", and sometimes you just want a little "Better Off Dead."
I watched the explanations before viewing the performance. At one point in the explanations I sat bolt upright - it was the mention of something that I realised would add enormous impact to a routine I am already doing. To me, that one tiny detail is worth many times the cost of the set.

In another explanation I thought, "That's too obvious, it wouldn't fool anyone." Yet when I viewed the performance DVD the next day, I thought, "How the hell did he do that?" I was fooled by time misdirection, reframing and logical disconnects.

That routine is going into my repertoire.

Another routine I liked is the Just Chintz. It's not something I would include in a show, but isn't it just perfect for a dinner party?
Sounds like what I need. I already know many effects. I need to know more about the history, psychology and what NOT to do dealing with mentalism. If anyone got one for sell, notify me by PM.