(Close Window)
Topic: Silk to egg
I'm in a mental magic block and can't seem to get my head in the game. Here is my problem, I'm planning on doing the silk to egg effect then reproduce the silk via the T**** Tip and the go into producing a rabbit in a black art box. But heres the problem I'm not sure if a white silk to egg would go over to well because white on white just won't work, plus I use a blue or red silk for that effect. any suggestens would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff, whenever you do silk to egg, you really do need to use a colored silk that has contrast. As you know, it is the contrast that helps in the performance of the effect so that the audience can see it clearly inside the egg during your description part and also see it at the end for the suprise ending. A white silk in a white egg just would not have enough contrast for you in my humble opinion. However, there may still be ways inwhich you can do the egg trick and still transition nicely into the rabbit production.

Kyle
[quote]
On 2006-09-28 07:25, magic4u02 wrote:
Jeff, whenever you do silk to egg, you really do need to use a colored silk that has contrast. As you know, it is the contrast that helps in the performance of the effect so that the audience can see it clearly inside the egg during your description part and also see it at the end for the suprise ending. A white silk in a white egg just would not have enough contrast for you in my humble opinion. However, there may still be ways inwhich you can do the egg trick and still transition nicely into the rabbit production.

Kyle
[/quote]

As usual Kyle makes perfect sense in his observation!!

This effect because of the contrast plays so well-Definetly use it if you can

I use this in theatres upto 800 people & cabarets & clubs with 2-300 & it really brings the house down

2 reasons- 1 is the sucker ending & 2 its very visual-the red & white!!

Just a thought

Good luck with your ideas!!

-Brent
Thanks for the kind words Brent. One thing that you could do to transition the effect is to make the silk have a color (I use red for good contrast). However, maybe this silk also has a picture of a rabbit on it. This way you could still have success using the silk in your silk to egg routine, and then can transition to the silk becoming a real rabbit. It might just work.

Maybe when you are doing the silk to egg, you talk about your pet rabbit who loves his favorite food. Thie audienceor kids may shout out carrots while you say, "no everyone knows that rabbits love scrambled eggs". It would get a laugh and allow you to do a versionof silk to egg in a funny way with a suprise ending. You then can use the silk with the rabbit picture into the next routine such as a buny box etc.

Just an idea to play around with.

Kyle
How about a green egg? You can get them in every grocery store in, uhm Argentina I think. http://www.vogthorstar.com/green-eggs.png

Ah well. Just performed silk to egg twice this morning at a local school. No, no, don't use a white silk!
I use a silk American Flag to egg. A white egg shows up best. Brown, Green, etc. are hard to see from any distance. Keep the HANDLING simple, work on the talk and presentation. And the TIMING. When they think the trick is over, pause, switch, and reveal.
I am actually so amazed at that fact of just how simple my switch is for the silk to egg. So much so that when I do it, I actually chuckle inside from the sheer fact that I am getting away with it and no one suspects anything. The reason for this is that I have established in the routine what I call "naural misdirection". I learned that I could do a certain move that was so natural for me to do and so logical, that the audience is none the wiser.

It is funny to me because it came about from trying so many ideas and different methods over the years and never really liking any of them. They all felt too awkward in the routine I was doing. Then it dawned on me that the answer lied right in simplicity. I have been doing it this way ever since and love performing the routine now for audiences of 5 to 500+.

I would like to share the switch idea, but since this is a public thread, I will keep it to myself as to not cause any problems. However, one can learn a lot just by applying what Pete mentioned above.

Kyle
I have a set of the Magic Circus DVDs. The handling, when I analyzed how Mark Wilson did it, was so simple, yet it is highly deceptive. I might just learn it to add to my repertoire.
Why not reproduce the silk via a die tube, that'll allow you to change the colour of the silk before producing the rabbit.
Paul
Thanks for all the feed back I'll take them all into concideration.

Best,
Jeff
If I recall properly, I once saw someome take a white silk, roll it in his hands and an egg appeared. The egg was real and cracked open over a glass. Looked pretty good actually.
Paul actually gives a pretty nice idea and an easy one at that. If you use the dye tube that could be a great way to transition form one effect into the other. Just make your patter make sense for what you are doing and tie it all together.

Kyle
HOward Bamman created a routine for Don Alan (and made the props, which I now have).

You changed a silk to an egg, explained it in the usual manner, then after you broke the egg, you poured the egg-matter back into your fist and re-produced the silk, THEN A WHOLE EGG.
I use both white eggs and brown eggs. Especially if also using Weller eggs, white is the only remaining choice. However, brown eggs are much less likely to flash. I have gimmicks for both.

There is also the reality of life on the road. White eggs are more frequently available than brown ones. We use what is avaialable. Many of my real eggs used on stage came from the last place I ate. That is not magician's choice!

I have noticed that many magicians do not understand that brown egg gimicks are very available in the upper end props.

As far as the color silk used, since I am the magicians' silk importer, I use whatever colors go with the rest of the show, costumes, stage colors, etc. When in doubt, use red.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I saw Howard do it a number of times as an emcee (in the 70s, if I recall) ...but never knew that he developed it for Don. I just thought it was Howard's trick. I resisted the temptation to imitate it, but it wasn't easy.
Dana Daniels does this trick GREAT!!!!
Don't forget that a plastic egg also makes a great pull.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I think that another magician actually developed a method for doing the silk to egg using the egg as a pull gimmic that Bob mentioned above. I had it for a while before developing a much easier and much more deceptive way for me to handle it in my own routine. I think it was Loren Christopher Michaels who developed the concept.

Kyle
Kyle,

I have no idea who started using that idea. I do know that it is at least fifty years old with plastic eggs. We also know that the elastic pull is not even Western World. The question is how Pre-Columbian it really is. The use of egg shells as containers for other things pre-dates the discovery of Australia. America was hundreds of years too late.

Bob
On another forum someone in the UK complained that they only have brown eggs and he cuoldn't find a gimmicked egg in brown.

I told him to buy spray paint, darkish flesh-color, from a display firm (the paint used to touch up window manequins) and paint both eggs to match.
Pete: Sometimes the most obvious of solutions are overlooked by us trying to hard. hehe

Kyle
[quote]
On 2006-10-04 13:34, Pete Biro wrote:
On another forum someone in the UK complained that they only have brown eggs and he cuoldn't find a gimmicked egg in brown.

I told him to buy spray paint, darkish flesh-color, from a display firm (the paint used to touch up window manequins) and paint both eggs to match.
[/quote]

An old white-haired guy you guys know has used BandAids! That is all some of my dye tubes ever had.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Awwww bandaids. =) That is one item I always keep on hand in my magic tool kit along side of the duct tape.

Kyle
Band aid use started, I believe, with Billy McComb. He used it to cover his dye tubes for the half-dyed routine.
I do recall him mentioning this once at a convention. Great guy and always willing to sit down and chat with most anyone. The banaids work really well and an easy fix to a lot of problems.

Kyle
Hey Pete,

I was just searching for information on Howard Bamman and came across your post here about his Silk To Egg. That is one of the effects I have been searching for. Any chance you would be willing to share that with me?

Marc
Hi Marc! If my memory (which is long, but growing weaker) serves, ya hafta work from a stool as Howard did. It was delightful to watch Howard do it.
Karrell tipped his "Super Simple Silk 2 Egg" to me a long time ago. I made a tiny change and have used it ever since. He later published it in "For My Next Trick" (page 95) Brown or white eggs "work", and NO SWITCH IS NEEDED!
I kinda figured that Dick, but I'm sure there are other ways to work around that. I'd still love to hear from Pete what the "reel work" is on this.
Mark: wanna trade?
This is Rice's Sucker Silk to Egg from Encyclopedia of Silks:

http://youtu.be/qg_jx0ZS_LI
So simple, thanks for postsing. It's amazing how so many 'improved' versions are HARDER to do.
Love the routine from pop haydn. I like to give an thought to concider. maybe not for POP but for those who are working on the routine. most magicians do it like POP: first show the egg then show the silk.

Don Alan always did it the other way around. first show the Silk then the egg. the difference is that, after showing the silk, the audience wants to see what is in the hand. "OH, it is an egg!" this way always got more reaction then the other classic way. I pass this on for you as an thought.
I'm not sure how that would work when you are using two silks, Robert. I think Don Alan was only using one scarf. Is that how you do it?
I have Don Alan's props. He used a totally different egg (made by Howard Bamman)... and at the end, he poured the contents of the egg (from the glass) back into his fist and there was the Egg (restored). A real magician fooler. :bigdance:
[quote]On May 14, 2014, Pete Biro wrote:
So simple, thanks for postsing. It's amazing how so many 'improved' versions are HARDER to do. [/quote]

Right Pete! Remember Al Baker's comment? ("...Many a good trick has died of improvements!"

Now, MY improvement is to make the trick "stage size". It uses a 6' Rice Butterfly silk and an ostrich egg.
POP, I have the same set up as you. I push the silk in the fist (egg) take out the silk from the pocket. I wait for reaction then show the egg. his routine is on the Magic Ranche dvds. I just reviewed the Magic Ranche dvds and Don is using 2 silks. I don't go in detail if you see the footage you understand. POP or PM me. people think they understand, this way gets a reaction. I have been doing it all the time.
I will check it out.
I watched it, and I don't like it. It doesn't work well with the switch. I don't like the idea of ever putting the egg back in the pocket.

In Rice's routine, the egg is apparently always in view. In Don Alan's, it is easy to work backwards to when the egg was switched.

I don't see what the advantage is of showing the egg after retrieving the second scarf.

I think Don Alan's method is clumsy and not nearly so powerful and clean as Rice's.