(Close Window)
Topic: Making a Rubik's cube?
I've been thinking of adding a die box to my magical stuff, but I was always suspicous of the die, after all, who has ever seen a three inch (or larger) die. Someone mentioned that the small die boxes used cubes almost exactly the same size as a Rubik's cube. I want to use a larger cube though, so I went looking for a large Rubik's cube. Couldn't find any. A quick google search for making a cube didn't reveal anything either.

Has anyone made a Rubik's cube? It would be cool to put the cube into the die box, do the usual gags and have a real cube reappear. I'm sure that, given the opportunity, someone will actually try to play with the cube. It would be nice to allow them to do that.
I've seen them in Dollar stores, so the best way to learn how to make one would be to cut one apart. Reverse engineering, they call it!
I've taken them apart, but I've learned from making other stuff that sometimes there are little "gotchas" that you don't discover until you actually do something. I wouldn't be surprised if making a Rubik's cube has these too. Until you make something or do something lots of times you don't know what is important and what isn't.

I'm hoping that someone has already figured it out and is willing to share what they have learned.
On "The World's Online Marketplace", if you do a search for "large rubiks cube", you should find a 9cm one from someone in the U.K.

Amos McCormick
Here's a good place to start:
http://www.geocities.com/pjgat09/misc3a.html

But there's another solution, and that is to combine your large cube die box with a shrinking die, where you shrink the large die down to the size of a key-chain rubik's cube, perhaps multiply them even, and that's what you toss out to the spectators at the end. The large size cube is your regular die box die, decorated to look like the Rubik's Cube. Shrink it down half way to a standard Rubik's cube, and then down to the key-chain sized ones.