(Close Window)
Topic: How can you explain this?
Everybody says that spectators will not do anything against their will while they are in hypnosis/trance state. So, how did this happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwthqRJ1Khg&mode=related&search=
And while your at it, can someone explain why ANYONE watches "Two and a Half Men"?
Look up a guy named Annemann. Then look up, in the psychology section, Stanley Milgram.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
I have read Milgram's study, and I have many of Annemann's books. Can you be more specific, please?
Milgram speaks of obeying an authority, but Derren was clearly approaching strangers on the street who didn't know him.
Or was he?

We don't know that for sure...

We only know what he wants us to see..
Suppose he knew that was Derren Brown. Why would he give him his personal belongings? We see, CLEARLY, that it wasn't set up, and it was not a part of a mentalism piece that was set ahead with the spectator (he was confused to give Derren his things, he wasn't relaxed). If it was a set up, why would the guy run after Derren to claim his items?

So, it's not so obvious after all.
Any more suggestions?
The subject was Hypnotized throughout the entire sequence.
I can only think of waking hypnosis, since Derren didn't emerge him from it. Something that he usually does to his hypnotized spectators.
[quote] If it was a set up, why would the guy run after Derren to claim his items? [/quote]

Maybe that was part of the set up?

Just a thought. ;)
Oh, c'mon people...you actually buy that as real? If a guy could actually pull that off, they'd be retired in about 6 weeks and have 3 hot strippers following them around. Then again, if they can just find the kind of people that would buy into a video like that as real....hmmmm... Hey guys, I'm having a party next month where you bring as much money as you can, and I will guarantee that you leave the party with no more than 3 times what you came with!
So you're saying this was all set-up? :rolleyes:

What Derren was doing was a little more sophisticated than just asking them for their stuff. You can see a variant of the handshake induction taking place for starters.
The original question, posed by Hypnotize, was about people doing things against their will. Make the assumption all was as presented here: He FREELY gave the objects of his FREE will....
He didn't understand why, and questioned his own behavior, but did nothing against his WILL; only something irrational. A big difference between the two.
Annemann's most famous principle involved 13 people... to accomplish something...

Milgram's study was on social compliance to authority. Connect the dots.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
I reckon they were hypnotised before the filming, and the shot of him explaining that had a happened was edited.

I don't think it's possible, based upon what I saw, to do that.
Perhaps the subject was just released from the "Shrink Tank". :)
Finish this quote:

"If it takes thirteen people to..."

Annemann said it. Apply liberally to this situation.

How much more obvious do I have to BE about this?!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Give 'em ****, Lee!
Lee,

Unfortunately, you are only being obvious to those who already know of what you speak. To the others, your quite obtuse. NOT your fault, mind you.

Heck, I could argue that those who fall for the routine and believe it is real as spectators are in a sort of trance themselves, but why muddle the issue?

Lee is dead on accurate here, people.
Sock it to 'em, Daniel!
I am a VERY absent-minded person who takes great joy in helping others. This would totally work on me if done by a pro like Darren, and my wife agrees. After studying hypnosis, I have realized that I spent about half of my waking hours under light trance anyway. In the situation on the video, I would be so focused on helping him along with his pacing and leading, I am quit confident I would just hand it over.

But, please, don't try it! lol

Jon Dee
I've seen this performed by others. I never actually tried it myself, but it is very much possible.
Everyone.....Please!......Don't take the Russian Scam too seriously.....

It's on TV....therefore, it is entertainment!
Message: Posted by: joshua the magician (Dec 4, 2006 06:18PM)
[quote]
On 2006-11-27 02:52, mesmer wrote:
....therefore, it is entertainment!

[/quote]

Entertainment, it is! Very funny, if I might say so myself! If only I could do that...
So if it is on TV, it is entertaining?
[quote]
On 2006-10-15 04:34, hypnotize wrote:
Milgram speaks of obeying an authority, but Derren was clearly approaching strangers on the street who didn't know him.
[/quote]
Just because someone is a complete stranger, doesn't mean the individual can't appear as an authority figure. Most cons to this day utilizes this principle...you arenít conned by people you know. You are conned by complete strangers who convince you they are to be trusted, and many times they wear police uniforms or use titles of authority that convince you they are an authority. All cons use this principle, and they are all performed by complete strangers.

It seems most magicians here doubt that Darren's scam is legit (whatever that means). However, I'm a little more open minded because I also remember the first time my psychology teacher told me about the famous Milgram experiment. My first response to hearing it was DOUBT. Even the Milgram experiment seems impossible at first. I couldn't believe it was true. It goes against all common since that those people could be driven to do what they did...but they did.

I just can't understand how you people can understand that 37 out of 40 people (a vast majority) could be convinced to give life threatening shocks to complete strangers, yet you can't believe that one individual out of a crowded street of many can't be convinced to hand over his watch, keys, and phone. Let me tell you the original Milgram experiment still seems far more impossible to me...
OK, who said I believe that about the vast majority of people?

Second of all, what Derren is doing is far from "experimental". It involves TONS of trial and error and showing the best results with some editing.

See, here is my main problem with it. PEOPLE THINK IT IS FAKE.

Let's say for sake of argument that it is indeed NOT faked, but 100% real. IF those who watch it feel it is fake, then it is pointless.

It is a lot like the induction. Not really necessary, but still used so people believe more.
[quote]
On 2006-10-12 09:01, suspectacts wrote:
And while your at it, can someone explain why ANYONE watches "Two and a Half Men"?
[/quote]

Mass Hypnosis. That, or a deal with Satan.
To those who assume it's fake, consider this: as big a celebrity as Derren Brown is in England, it's certain that the British tabloids have tried to track down people who appeared on his shows and pay them to say that their bit was set-up, that they were stooges. To date, this has not happened. Not proof, perhaps, but certainly a point in his favor.

And keep in mind, confusion has a powerful effect on people. It... well, it... confuses them. Keep that in mind.
Alzheimer's?
I've got a couple of relatives that would do this. :)
I love 'em even more, now!