(Close Window)
Topic: Johnson Hopping Halves Tarnished
Hello all,

I bought the Johnson's Hopping Halves set a little while ago, and when I got them they were pretty tarnished, not filthy dirty, just dark brown with no shine. I recently bought all new English pennies in like new condition. My question is will the Johnson gaffs return to a high shine and bright copper color if they are polished?? What is the best polish for copper coins?? Thanks.

Stevie D
Put some vinigar in a glass, a pinch of salt, and dunk the coins in the glass. It takes just a few seconds and they will be bright and shiney as new.
Use the brass cleaner called "Brasso." It works very good. It can be found at most drug stores in the cleaning aisle.
If you ese the salt and vineager trick do it to the new cois too and the will tarnish at the same rate as the old ones
So if I use the salt and vineager, should I also polish them with brasso or I wouldn't even need to?? Well anyway I'm gonna try the salt and vineager and see what happens.

Thanks
Wow, in seconds my coins went from being completely brown and dark to bright and shinny just as rowdymagi suggested, thanks alot! I wonder if it would work wonders for copper cups....

Stevie D
I use MAAS polishing cream and a soft, cotton cloth. You can get it at Wal-Mart. It removes tarnish and polishes just about everything, (brass, copper, silver, stainless steel, etc.).
The problem with the salt an vinegar trick is it strips a minute layer of copper. if you don't seal the coins with some sort of polish they will tarnish faster in the future. that's why I suggested doing it to your new coin as well. or just polish them all
I didn't realize that vinegar removed a small layer of the copper. I have never really noticed that they tarnished any quicker than if I polished them with a product like Brasso etc.
Thanks for the info.