(Close Window)
Topic: Dunninger's Encyclopedia
Hi Everyone,

I recently found a copy of Dunninger's Encyclopedia of Magic yesterday at a rummage sale for a few dollars. It is a fun read, with quaint and charming illustrations, actually a lot more pictures than text. There are a lot of seance-type effects; hands, bells, etc. They all seem a little archaic and transparent (not that it detracts from my enjoyment!). I was wondering it anyone had looked at this book, or adapted anything from it. I have just skimmed through it at this point.

Cheers,
Thamiel
I have had it for years, whenever it was first published. I don't think I have ever used anything from it. It is still an interesting book to look through. I wouldn't give mine up.

Bill
From the way it was written and illustrated (and from when it was published), I always thought it was a book intended for "lay people," to give them a sort of fun idea of how magic works. I never found anything usable in it either.
What?!?

This is probably the best book of magic I have ever seen!

You guys are missing out...

It is full of inventive genius...

Many effects sold in shops are here in all there early stages...

It is a DIY manual of magic and contains all the classics...

The balancing ace!

Tricks of mediums

spirit writing

pocket shocking coil

how to take plaster casts for masks

look at the bottom of page 24 for example this is a secret worth its weight in gold...

people are making up this stuff, repackaging it, and selling it to you under new guises...ha ha!

I am glad I'm the only one recognises its value...

It contains more information than any other sigle magic book I own, and the drawings are excellent...

Corona. (shocked and stunned)
Corona

Don't leave out the water fountain effect.

Lots of good stuff, you just have to realize what you're looking at. Same thing goes for the Gibson book.

Tony
Ah Tony a man with one eye in the kingdom of the blind,

Are they missing out or are they missing out?

I have had this book out from my local library many times over the years, and recently someone gave me a copy, yippee!
The jumping spoons!
I don't have it in front of me here at my day job, but there is great material. The orange tree effect, some mentalism, several good productions. The pictures alone help inspire.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Tony
True.

'A useful piece of apparatus' page 205...
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 16:34, Corona Smith wrote:
What?!?

This is probably the best book of magic I have ever seen!

Corona. (shocked and stunned)
[/quote]
[b]Oh. So you[/b] didn't [b]get my book yet, I see...[/b]

:)

[b]No this book is an amazing contribution to the craft...changed my world when I was a young lad... seen it again for the firt time in 20 yrs. last summer... still amazed...[/b]
Your / my book is still on holiday in Indiana, I await it with baited breath, Lucia has told me to expect greatness!

All the best, Corona.
I wonder if anyone knows this Dunninger book - I've had it since I was 7 years old.. it was magazine like - slightly larger than a readers digest.. the front page is missing and the back as well... the very first page I see has Harry Houdini on it with his sleeves rolled up - then an article about famous magicians from HH Blackstone etc to Dunninger... then a piece of Dunninger - and then a bunch of his effects with lots of black and white photo illustrations... this really implanted the magic bug in me from wayyyyyy back... I should have known I'd be a bizarrist - the effects I liked the most were the scary and weird kind - like the 'Pharaoh's Finger' ... the seance effects with luminous painted images you whip out in the dark... phantom music... etc.... the coin vanishes, the "force a card psychologically" etc didn't grab me until much later when I realized I could dress it up with a story of dark design!

This isn't the same book is it? All I know is, although very scant on description and method etc. I have encased the old tome in a leather cover of mystic design and have it on the shelf with my other prized books.....
[b]Same book...[/b]
Not sure it is...

Unless I have a different edition, don't see the Houdini pic?

First page after contents is 'Magic for Everybody'

It is a large hardback book published by SPRING BOOKS 1970 (year I was born).

Corona.
The one I picked up yesterday has no photo illustrations, only line drawings, and is packed with probably a thousand effects. I haven't spent much time with it, only a cursory reading. It did seem that many of the effects seemed dated, so I was wondering what to expect; an enjoyable curiosity for my shelf, or some workable stuff. I was wondering what others thought of it. It seems opinions are mixed, I guess I'll determine my own answer after I read it more. There were numerous pages devoted to making puppets/dummies, which was interesting.

Cheers,

Thamiel
Ok, then that's the one I got--line drawings..BUT houdini, I recall is in there too, as a line drawing, I believe.......either way, the book rocks..

ya'll gonna make me go all the way to the basement to dig 'er out once again...
You got a bargain Thamiel, this book costs 25 on Amazon, that's about a thousand dollars to you guys.

Corona.
Welllll, I didn't say I did not like the book. I said I have never used anything from it (at least directly). I had always assumed it was meant for lay folks, too.

Bill
Bill hold your Turban, no ones pointing claws at yu... :)

ah, the use of a WALNUT for a candle w*** is pretty cool...............
By the way, the book is BIZARRE, by all accounts...still gives me the creeps...a bunch o' guys sipping matini's,listening to sinatra, and making back door mafia deals, while doing Pharoahs finger...is the impression I got :)
"ah, the use of a WALNUT for a candle w*** is pretty cool"

Is that one in there? that's great! I can remember that being the first trick I did when I was a child. Walnut for the w*** and apple for the c*****, then down the hatch while my parents and siblings humoured me. I can't wait to go through it again after work.
Sorry - my memories are wrong..

page 3 Intro - line drawing of Dunninger... can't read the scrawl of the editor at the end.

4 Dunninger a biography

6 That picture of Houdini - starts the section on Magical Memories (lots of great photos - with him and Doyle, escapes,goes through all the greats... p 24 has a skeletal mummy in a case on stage... Blackstone with it - looks cool...

28 Performance Pointers

p30 starts the effects.... starts with card force

p34 is funny 1/2 page of text and 6 pics decribing THE PASS... still never mastered it :)

p42 - levitating glass - but is a patter a bizarrist would be proud of - in fact, there are some really cool eerie stories he attaches to some of the effects

p60 the pharoah's finger

p61 where I first learned to burn sugar

Spirit writing etc

The dreaded jumping cigar band.... and the Houdini Match trick that won me some comic books etc when young...the use of stooges...how to make the face of a coin cry... initials on match... caglistro 2 person mentalism code... the cute ghost in the dark......

A very cool book....

Anyone know what the heck it is, please tell me.

(I should say all the pics are and writing are sepia) -
I can tell you it is not Dunninger's encyclopedia...

Some of the same effects perhaps.

Sounds good though.

Corona.
We still like you though, DR. Spektor....I do anyhow...
Hi Dr. Spektor,

Sound like: 100 Classic Houdini Tricks You Can Do (originally printed in 1954, and reprinted several times since).

As for Dunninger's Complete Encyclopedia of Magic, it's a marvelously entertaining comics-style coffee-table book. Between the more far-fetched entries and the standard boy's-book stunts is far more workable material than most people realize, contributed by Flosso, Gibson, Jaks and others.

Best,
Neil
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 16:39, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Lots of good stuff, you just have to realize what you're looking at. Same thing goes for the Gibson book.

[/quote]

Which Gibson book are you referring to, Tony? I have three.

I also have the Dunninger Encyclopedia. There is some useful stuff in there. It includes the full secret of Dunninger's Q&A act. Mine has a cover price of 30 shillings, but I bought it in a half-price sale!

Barry
I always wanted to make 'The Ghost Flame' on page 259 (along with many other effects), but never got around to it. I'm afraid I'm going to be arrested for buying the chemicals used in this type of trick! :winker:
Barry:

I'm at the office right now, I'll get back with the title when I get home, but it is the big yellow one.

Tony
[quote]
On 2006-10-26 06:17, Harlequin wrote:
I'm afraid I'm going to be arrested for buying the chemicals used in this type of trick! :winker:
[/quote]

FOR REAL!!
Great, now Baba has to run down to the basement, again, to see what chemicals he is talking about. Baba, not that kind of chemical. :)

Tony
Thanks Neil! That makes sense!
Baba, I'm talking about chemicals that can be used to create explosives, of course. If government agents came snooping around to investigate me for buying certain chemicals, I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time explaining some of my props! Do you know of some ritual to avoid police investigations? :coolest:
Ritual of the Roadrunner.
:)
Neil sums up Dunninger book well, some of the effects and methods are sheer craziness, and I am sure many were just made up as he went along, but the creativity is very inspiring, and many diamonds are hidden in there...

Apparently the book is a compilation from a 3 volume set titled 'Dunninger's Popular Magic', I imagine they are very rare.

Can't seem to find reference to the illustrators though...

Corona.
I have this out of the library right now. I recognized the greatness in it, but haven't had the time to go through everything and pull out the most valuable ideas yet.
Okay, okay, I can tell when I'm outnumbered... :)

I'll pull out the book, curl up in my easy chair (after nudging the cat out of it) and peruse the book again. Sigh.
The Dunninger Encyclopedia is great. Love the old ideas for Stagecraft. I think the book was quite well packed considering that it even tells you how to make your own Ventr. Dolls. And has a very old but still entertaining Dialog in the back, "I want to go Hooooooooome..."

I have used MANY effects from this book. I think it rates on the same level as the Tarbell collection for me.

And the Medium stuff is mean to be done in the dark. That is why it seems simple, trust me many of those effects work WELL!!!

Regards
Wolflock
I also would praise Dunniger's as a source of valuable infomation. My copy is quite dogeared.
John
I am putting up a digital copy on my website it will include notes and such. Look for it b y the end of the night...
Dunninger's actual methods from his own act ARE in that book, even his Q & A method. You just need to learn to see gems when they are hidden within the pages. There are many amazingly good old books out there with some of the best magic that is not being done anymore because most magicians think they are "above that old stuff" BUT there has been at least one well known magician who did just that. Went to old sources of magic, found things that were not being done anymore, updated them and used them to turn David Blaine into a NAME on television.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Paul:

I thought you were going to say Ricky Jay.

But if the old book that Blaine read had directions to Tannen's, then I agree with you on that.

Tony
I have used a number of these classic methods from the Dunninger's Encyclopedia over the years. I love the Rose that changes from white to red- sort of a Vampire thorn effect if you will! Made my first one about 25 years ago.....The wind glass that self fills is good also especially since the advent of the plastic party ware flutes. I think most folks have forgotten much of what was in this book, as it has been OOP for a bit. Just like they have forgotten much of the wxposurte they have seen on TV.
k
That q and a is phenomenal. I just finished digitizing this. The text is 100% searchable and includes some bookmarks and notes to my favorite effects. The 2 person serial number divination, blindfold facts, georgia magnet stunts, and q and a methodology made me cry when I tore the spine to scan it. But I pain stakingly did the community a favor and now it will no longer degrade and can be the new " Desktop Book". You know, that tome you keep on your desktop for reference and when you're bored?