(Close Window)
Topic: Rings
I guess this is the right place to post this.
How many of you wear rings? How many rings?
I love silver rings as they compliment your hands. I wear 5 rings at the moment on a regular basis. My audiences seem to like them as they have complimented them on several occasions.

What do you think about jewellry in general for complimenting the hands? By this, I don't mean only rings, also bracelets, watches or whatever kind of jewellry you like.

-Matt
I'm someone who habitually wears a ring or two on any given day, and I rarely feel the need to change that when practicing or performing magic. In fact, they can come in handy -- for example, I've found that wearing a big, shiny, gaudy ring on one hand can sometimes help keep attention focused there and away from my other. And if one of the rings you're wearing is "special" (PK, for example), some people are suspicious enough to suspect it sometimes... but if it's merely one of several rings you're wearing, it's more likely to blend in as being just another adornment.

Rings, like everything else in a magician's wardrobe, should be considered carefully, but they probably can't hurt or help a performance much on their own. If they compliment your performing style and the persona you're trying to project, or at least don't interfere with it, and they appeal to you as an individual, that's fine. If there's a risk they might interfere or distract in unwanted ways, you probably need to rethink them. All in my opinion, of course.

(For clarity's sake, let me add that when I say "you" need to do this or that, I intend it as a generalization, and not necessarily aimed specifically at Matt.)
Hi Matt
Once I was at a juggling convention, there were hundreds of jugglers on the gym floor practicing, and not one wrist watch, so I wear no rings, no watch, and no bracelet not even a wedding ring. There is only one exception to this rule, I do carry about 10 or more rubber bands on my left wrist for an inpromptu magic show.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
IMPORTANT:

Has anyone purchased a "Black's Ring" that came in a crystaline box, a photocopy of our directions, and the ring is very thin? If so, contact me right away; someone is selling Vortex rings as ours!

James
1-877-877-7878
I, like Al wear no rings, or wristwatches. As a juggler I found out the hard way how soft some rings are. A heavy hammer handle coming down on your hand can do a lot of damage if not caught right.

I wear a pocket watch instead. This is more of a personal choice. I have worn a pocket watch since I was a teenager. I find it is different, classy and it doesn't showcase my thin wrists (darn genetics). Plus since I keep it in my left pants pocket, it balances out the chain coming from my wallet in my right pants pocket.
On a normal day? No jewelry whatsoever.
Ok. I wear a watch to work.

When I use to perform regularly, I wore a ring and had a duplicate slit ring for linking. I also wore a wedding band on occasion.
I wear a silver ring, with a thunderbird engraved into it, on my right little finger. I don't juggle so there's no problem there.
I sometimes wear a ring that I use in a routine. If I'm not doing the routine I don't wear it. I find they get in the way with coin magic.
Watch - yes, because I need it for several routines
ring - yes (but it is a piercing that no one can see... kidding)

I would say that it depends on your performing character to wear a ring or not.
No one should be interested about how much worth your jewellery is. As no one
should be impressed by the car you are driving. They should be impressed by your
performance. And if a ring (or even rings) fits here - why not?
Definitely getting a nice one when DeRing comes out. Classy!!!

Monte
I usually only wear rings or watches when I get dressed up or perform. A stylish Skagen watch and a silver "M" ring. I do VERY little coin magic, but I practice with them on to make sure there is no talking. I think too many rings and things looks gawdy and can be distracting. Not just for magicians, but for anyone.
For me it depends on the show...
In most of my shows I wear a lot of rings. I don't do any serious closeup work, so it is not really an issue. Three Rings on each hand, seperate fingers (In fact, my right hand one is on the thumb). In my defense, it is extreme character work. I also have leather bracers on my wrists and a bright red satin sash at my waist.
Ren Faire shows...got to love the excessive accessories...
For fire shows, all of the rings go. I can't hold my chains or spin a staff properly with them on. The bracers go too unless I am doing fire claws (Keeps me from burning my arm hair off!).
Table work...Also no rings or jewelry unless they are deliberately a part of the routines I am doing.
So really...Do the rings match your character? Are they practical to wear given the type of show you are doing? Do you like wearing them?
Answer those questions, and you will have your own answer.
Gwyd
As long as the rings don't impede your performance or detract from it, I see no reason to not wear them assuming they compliment the character you are portraying.

However, I would say whatever choice you make, but especially if you are using gimmicked rings, make it consistent...
Does anyone who does coins have a problem wearing their wedding band when performing? I find that left ring finger to be the worst spot for a ring, causing extra effort to avoid a "clink" in many coin routines.
Rings and coins can be trouble. I wear a thumbring if I can get away with it.

If the ring will "clink" with a prop- coin or otherwise- it may be best to disappear the ring. :bwink:
"Disappear the ring?!" My wife would kill me!

At this point the lilly white tan line under my ring would be more of a distraction than the clinking sound.

Might be a nice lead in to that Moving Tan-line trick, though....hmmm....
[quote]
On 2007-01-05 20:32, magicalaurie wrote:
Rings and coins can be trouble. I wear a thumbring if I can get away with it.

If the ring will "clink" with a prop- coin or otherwise- it may be best to disappear the ring. :bwink:
[/quote]
Thanks for your thoughts. I like the idea of having a ring on a different finger such as the thumb, because I feel strange having absolutely no ring on the hand. A pinky ring may not get in the way as much as a ring finger ring either. Until I get another ring, I will go with your suggestion and lose the ring if I think there is any chance of prop hitting that shouldn't. I'll live with the tan line for the performance.
Very welcome, larrylegal. :)
There are rings that can improve your performance. A PK ring can help a lot especially in mental and bizarre magic. A ring also can be used as pendulum. I use a ring that is a replica of an ancient magic ring sold at a museum shop in Halle/ Germany.
The magic ring of Pau▀nitz and a deciphering of the engraved runes can be found at http://www.landesmuseum-fuer-vorgeschichte-halle.de/funde-der-monate/02.02/entschluesselung.htm
I work 8-5 in an office setting and typically wear both a watch as well as 2 rings - my wedding band on the left ring finger and my college class ring on my right ring finger. Both are gold and both provide a nice accent to a dark shirt or jacket. I practice my coins with both on to learn to avoid the "talking" that can occur. Also, this is more real-world for me, as I am more likely to perform impromptu dressed as I normally would to work or church.
I'm a canadian engineer, so I have ring on my right pinky and I'm getting married in 3 months so I'll have new ring on my left ring finger.

As for coin magic, I once asked a magician who was wearing a ring that I thought you weren't supposed to. He placed a coin in his hand and I heard it clink against the ring, then he opned his hand to show it had vanished. He used the ring and the sound of the clinking to his advantage.
I wear a PK ring in place of my wedding band. I'm told they break easily, but so far I've been lucky I guess.

I'm with Earl though. If I went to my restaurant without a ring on, I'd catch some heat from my wife.

I juggle knives, torches, etc...and have to take my ring off then. Way too painful otherwise.
Yea Chad
A wristwatch, or bracelet will make me juggle with a limp, and the machetes are painful no matter what you do.
Al Angello
I'm unmarried, so I wear my wedding band PK ring on the middle finger of my right hand. I'm only 21, so it's somewhat in style for people my age.
The only ring I wear is the wedding band Lucy gave me.

Due to an autombile accident in 1987, the pinky and ring finger sometimes give me a lot of pain. (The bones in both were just "powdered" and the pinky was sewn back on.) After remarkable surgeries five Thursdays in a row, they both work. The primary problem is that "Hot" sensors are about the only nerve sensors still working. (I've been know to throw down a cold can of Coca-Cola becaused it "burned" me.)

Because vibration from steering wheels can be very painful for prolonged periods, on long drives, I take off my wedding ring. Otherwise, when they find the body, I should still have it on. Definitely, I wear my ring in public. (And if I'm performing magic, I certainly hope it is for the public!)

I also understand why many performers do not perform in jewelry. (I often remove my watch before going on stage.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
As much as I love my rings, I do have one problem wearing them in one of my shows. In my Ren Fest shows, the one where I wear the most jewelry, I also play the Dumbek (A middle-eastern drum) for part of the act.

The rings on my left hand get bent severely. The one I wear in the middle finger is actually square now. So no real problem wearing them for anything I do, just do severe damage to the rings themselves.

This is very common for Ren performers. A sword-fighting friend of mine forgot to take his off before a fight and it got smashed so bad he couldn't get it off.
Part of the job I guess.
Gwyd
The wearing of rings and other jewelry should be guided by good taste and style as well as the magic that you do. I wear from none to several rings depending on the character.

Gishde I get to wear rings in my Ren Character so I do :) but no sword fighting. I take the off just before the fire eating portion of the show.
Al, Mike,

I really don't think we should warn the younger guys about the ring in the nose the older guys have learned to endure. It comes with a recording that says "You paid WHAT for that magic prop?"

I was promised that in time our hearing would fail.
The only ring I wear is my wedding ring.

In fact, apart from my watch, it is the only jewellry I've ever worn.

Tom