(Close Window)
Topic: Stage levitation...any ideas?
Hi magic friends! I am designing a levitation for stage and I could use the wisdom of some of the clever minds out there.

It can not be wires, and would likely be operated from behind the rear curtain. Kind of a beam with a bicycle seat on it...but a little more sophisticated. Not a huge budget, but great performing conditions. Could use b**** a**, and the person I am levitating would have a flowing costume...actually a witch on a broomstick. Plus - no other props, such as a table or chair, so I could not used anything gimmicked.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there any plans out there for this?
Check out the Multi Purpose Levitation.

Best,

Tim
Wow - this looks perfect. And he sells the plans, too.

Thanks very much, Tim.

Julian

P.S. Great illusions on your site!
Thanks Julian,

I have the MPL plans and am just waiting for the time to build it. If you get the plans and build one before I do I'd love to see some video of it. There used to be some fantastic video of the effect out there but I can't seem to find it online anymore.

Best,

Tim
How much are they selling for right now?
The plans are $250 and the entire prop is $1500 ( a real bargain in levitations ) . I should mention the plans are very detailed and easy to follow.

Best,

Tim
Excellent - thank for the lead on this. I think you may have just saved me months of trial and error, sweat and tears, sleepless nights and dropped assistants!

Best,
Julian
I have been interested in a levitation illusion but am looking for info. The Multi Purpose site seems very vag. I would need to know more about an illusion before I purchased it. There is a Ariel Levitation on the Magicauction.com that is selling for about 1/2 of what is cost new. My concern is the weight of the crates you would have to move.

Any suggestions
Could you please provide a link to see the Multi Purpose levitation? Thanks!
http://www.levitationillusion.com/
http://www.levitationillusion.com/
I too am still awaiting someone to show me a video of it being performed, its been a year now that I have been waiting anybody has the unit?
Why don't you send an e-mail to the manufacturer? Or phone him. I wouldn't sit around on my butt almost a year, if I wanted a levitation.

I don't think you are very serious about this.
LOL I did that 6 months ago. TWICE! Theres a difference between not serious and being very serious when you purchase illusions....takes time to consider if it should be worked in your show. Not a choice you make on the fly with no video or demo, you keep it on the back burner until someone sheds some light. I waited almost a year to hear comments or see about a version of impaled. Was not good so I eneded up getting Wellington to build me one. So serious? VERY Serious
I am here also on the Café, and the present version of the Multi-Purpose Levitation is going through another transition. I am making it into a stand-alone unit with remote control. I've had the proto type working with a 300 lb person, and I need to revise it to reduce the weight factor of the unit.

It use to rise from the floor to four feet, which wasn't high enough for my rise from a chair suspension, so I increased it's height rise to six feet. I am now reducing the weight factor. to much steel and weighs over 200 lbs. I want to get the unit down to about 100 lbs.

I might be trying to make it perfect, and do more stuff. I am disappointed in most suspensions and levitations in that they can do only one thing. I truly want this unit to be versitile so it can be used in differnt forms and more than once in a full length show.

This year I change a chair suspension into a levitation during my Halloween Illusion Show. Next year I am considering making an electric chair levitate and rising an audience member.

I am just having fun with it and not really pushing sales because it still blows people away. What will the finish product look like, I don't know because I keep changing it.

My close friend said "Den, that will sell like hot cakes" because this version is remote controlled and no need for a stage hand to operate it.

He has sat on it, standed on it, and raised himself to where he hits his head on the ceiling in my 8 foot room. He has seen me do a chair suspension to a levitation, do several vertical standing lifts, make my Laflin table rise, and has played with it. It's a dream illusion.

At my last SAM meeting, several illuionists, and full time magicians including Dick Gustfson, & Mike Snyder have just been amazes of it's construction and what it can do. Several members of the audience have the exact same chair suspension as I do. So when I grabbed the second chair, their mind went wild saying if I pull that chair the girl will get hurt. Of course their jaw dropped when I did it. It was "The Prestige" moment that made it worth that "planned pause" to allow them mind to grasp what I was about to do, before pulling that chair. What a rush!

You've heard the expresion, "Somethings I do for myself" and it's true here. My wife keeps asking me when am I going to market it... I'm not pushing it just having fun with it.

Dennis
Dennis, I can understand that , and with that I will continue to wait, one will wait for the reason of what you wrote.
[quote]
On 2006-11-13 04:29, Bill Palmer wrote:
I wouldn't sit around on my butt almost a year, if I wanted a levitation.[/quote]

If you could levitate, you wouldn't need to sit on your butt ever again... :)
If I could really "fly", do you think I would be performing magic?
Sure. Copperfield can fly, and he still performs magic.

:)