(Close Window)
Topic: This video sells!
Message: Posted by: The Drake (Nov 4, 2006 02:05PM)
As someone who desperately needs to update his own promo video ( working on that now actually ) I am sometimes caught off guard by a really good one.

These days you seem so many videos that show so little about the performer and focus on flash that really tells you nothing about what you'd get if you hired that person. Who are they? Are they any good? What kind of magic can I expect from them? What kind of personality do they have?

I found this video online and think it answers all of these questions. I met Bobby about 2 years ago after a show I did in Toronto and he gave me card. I eventually looked up his website and enjoyed his demo video.

I've never seen this guy perform but have referred clients to him based on his video alone. that's a rarity for me. I usually don't recommend someone unless I have seen them perform.

Anyway... check out a promo the way it should be done. http://www.mottamagic.com/images/bobmotta.wmv

Best,

Tim
Message: Posted by: edh (Nov 4, 2006 11:17PM)
Nice promo.
Message: Posted by: RobertBloor (Nov 4, 2006 11:27PM)
Timothy...

I'm not sure if you're serious about it being a good "promo" or not.

You said it answers questions...

1) I have no idea who this guy is.

2) I have no idea if he's good. Sure he looks like David Blaine, and at the very least he can stage a video shoot like David Blaine. (But I still don't know if he's good)

3) As for what magic one can expect from him - looks like 4 or 5 different card tricks. Whoopdido.

4) I'm not sure what his personality is other than he can do 4 or 5 card tricks and surprise people.

[b]Now mind you, I'm not saying this guy stinks. Far from it. At the very least he is, or at least hired, a very good video editor.[/b]

In fact, if he's got the sense of mind to make his video look like a David Blaine special, he's probably pretty good at what he does.

And the video is edited GREAT. But I disagree on how much you can "tell" about this performer. And as a "promo" video - I have NO idea what he's trying to "promote" or "get me to do."

Robert Bloor
Message: Posted by: The Drake (Nov 4, 2006 11:53PM)
Hi Robert,

I appreciate your comments. I was curious what other magi thought. Maybe we are seeing too different videos? LOL When I said... the video lets us know who he is I didn't mean literally I meant " what type of personality he has" . Watch his face in the video.... he is very comfortable in his performance. His little thumb sliding joke also tell me he is comfortable with his magic and not taking himself to seriously.

Yes he does the " blaine type of style" ( bit more outgoing though ) but about a million others do the Copperfield type of style. BTW.... I heard from a television production company who was looking to shoot a commercial with a " blaine type of street performer" and I recommended this guy to them. He emailed me to thank me and told me he got two call backs and was second runner up. ( the other guy got the gig )

My point wasn't that Bobby is the worlds best but rather that he has a promo video that shows a client what they can expect. The video also has some pretty good audience reaction in it which I feel is also a huge selling feature to clients.

Any others have opinions? I'd like to hear them.

Best,

Tim
Message: Posted by: RobertBloor (Nov 5, 2006 01:16AM)
Tim,

I agree the video is "good," I disagree however that it can "sell."

Obviously if I'm looking for a "Blaine" type performer, then it sells. Now, you know what, as I typed that I realized, maybe I should step back. Perhaps that IS what Bobby is going for? If that is his niche - man, he's got a lock on it. (and in that case, and EXCELLENT seeling video)

I noticed the thumb trick as well and got a giggle. But would a buyer notice?

From a production AND selling stand point, after the first 20-30 seconds, there is no draw, no reason for someone to continue watching.

That said...man this is all my opinion. I'm not trying to say anothing about this guy, or whether he's great, good, bad or indifferent. If that video is REALLY selling for him - awesome.

Robert
Message: Posted by: Chris Stolz (Nov 5, 2006 07:00AM)
I somewhat agree that it started slow but once it got going it was really quite excellent. I'm sure he books a LOT of restaurant work with this! That portion of the video was particularily good.

Aside from the fact that he was on the sidewalk, I didn't pick up a sense of "Blaine'ism" at all. For starters, this guy knows how to SMILE!

Thanks for posting Tim that was great.

-Chris.
Message: Posted by: The Drake (Nov 5, 2006 08:34AM)
[quote]
On 2006-11-05 08:00, Chris Stolz wrote:
I didn't pick up a sense of "Blaine'ism" at all. For starters, this guy knows how to SMILE!
-Chris.
[/quote]

Hi Chris,

That was one of the big differences I picked up on. If you want to see something hilarious take a look at this spoof of Blaine where the guy look so serious all the time while incredible magic is going on. Its my favorite spoof of Blaine and even Blaine fans will love it. ( especially Eddie Garland..LOL )

http://www.break.com/index/david_blaine_spoof1.html

Best,

Tim
Message: Posted by: Bill Nuvo (Nov 5, 2006 08:36AM)
As some of us know (especially here in Southern Ontario), you can have a crappy show and get lots of work for well produced marketing materials. There is a particular perform in this area who does just that.

This video was well done. Yes it was "Blainish" at times, but was a lot different too. Just from the promo, I like his personna that comes across...fun and mysterious. You will notice too that the focus isn't totally on the tricks but a lot of audience reactions. That is what sells.
Message: Posted by: Review King (Nov 5, 2006 08:52AM)
[quote]
On 2006-11-05 09:34, Timothy Drake wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-11-05 08:00, Chris Stolz wrote:
I didn't pick up a sense of "Blaine'ism" at all. For starters, this guy knows how to SMILE!
-Chris.
[/quote]

Hi Chris,

That was one of the big differences I picked up on. If you want to see something hilarious take a look at this spoof of Blaine where the guy look so serious all the time while incredible magic is going on. Its my favorite spoof of Blaine and even Blaine fans will love it. ( especially Eddie Garland..LOL )

http://www.break.com/index/david_blaine_spoof1.html

Best,

Tim
[/quote]

The Baline fellow did excellent. It would have been better if the two spectators weren't doing their shtick.

Chris
Message: Posted by: DanielSteep (Nov 5, 2006 10:11AM)
[quote]
On 2006-11-05 09:36, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
As some of us know (especially here in Southern Ontario), you can have a crappy show and get lots of work for well produced marketing materials. There is a particular perform in this area who does just that.

This video was well done. Yes it was "Blainish" at times, but was a lot different too. Just from the promo, I like his personna that comes across...fun and mysterious. You will notice too that the focus isn't totally on the tricks but a lot of audience reactions. That is what sells.
[/quote]

I had seen this performer a couple times and wonderd how she got booked. then I saw her site and promo video.. andill say if I had never seen the show before. I would probably book it just on her promo stuff
Message: Posted by: Phil C (Nov 5, 2006 10:39AM)
I think the original promo video is not bad.
I have seen better, but it is not bad.