(Close Window)
Topic: Tired of some performance style...
Hi all, I was watching some clips of illusion performed on YOUTUBE.COM and you know what? I'm tired to see those magician style where the magician performed his illusions to music in a really fast speed and than make a ''TADA'' pause to get his applause. Believe me, I have seen lot of those clips including some of well know magician. I really don't pretend to be a great magician but I think that an illusion should be perform with a great story line. We have to build illusion around a story and not just around a piece of music. First of all find a great story that fit your style and your illusion, than find a good music to go with it. I really don't think that the prop and the music make a good magician. However I think that when we could develop a great personnality style, a great story line, we can present some great illusions.

Just my thought

Johnny
BRAVO Johnny-

You get the idea! The story of [b]why[/b] is more important to the audience is much more important than the puzzle of [b]how![/b] It takes plotting, dramatic (or humorous) scripting and action to make stage work seem more than a carnival caravan of mildly amusing but forgettable oddities.

In the posting nearby on blade boxes and baskets I reveal that one routine took me two years to get together. I [b]know[/b] that the best Copperfield, Burton and McBride stuff takes much longer to mature. One piece took McBride 20 years to get to the point he finally tried in in public -- another I am familiar with on the use of light has been at least seven years in growing....

You might check the bizarre threads in the Café for a start on some ideas how things can be routined for interest. Recent book by Kotah - and all the works of Punx will be important to you too.
100% agree with you. Right know, I'm working with mini illusion Gut Buster by Andrew Mayne. I have bought it about 4 or 5 months ago and you know what? I have never performed it yet. Why? Because I'm creating a routine and a story around it. Not just a ''TADA'' performance to music. I really like the effect but I know that it is my performance that gonna do justice to the effect.
Talking about Copperfield. I don't think that it is the ''best magician'' in the world. BUT because he is creating story around his illusion, the man is incridible with what he is doing and I think this is why laymen enjoyed his show.
Please everybody be creative. Make a director of yourself and critic your performance.
Now, I'm sure that some of you performed for large crowd just with you illusion and music. Good for you. But I think it would be better if you add a great story around it.

Anyway, I've said enough for today

Johnny
Johnny...I'm seconding Chmara's sentiments.
Visit the bizarrists...With them, the magic is almost incedental. Massive Paradigm shift.
Gwyd
Amen!
Although a piece of music can have a great storyline...

As a magician and musician myself I can say choosing the right music to go with any act is crucial. You can choose the music first. In some cases that can happen. You can inspiration from a piece of music. You can also create a story first too. However you do it, there should be some "logic" and reason to your show/effect. The story can be anything from dramatic, to comedic, to erotic and even just plain fun. Don't just be up there doing the illusion for the sake of the illusion (unless you have a reason to do so...which is possible).
I agree with you. The routine can be build around a piece of music. Right now I'm thinking to Christopher Hart with his tearing sheet of music or his moving hand routine but there is lot more.
However it seems that there is also performers who choose a music and just do the illusion as fast as they can. What's the deal with it? This is not what I call creativity. Lucky for them, they have some great prop but that's it. For me it takes lot more than a big boxe to be impress. Maybe its because that in my other life I'm working in television and it is all about creativity...

Johnny
I think what many performers forget is that they need to connect with the audience at an emotional level, that's what makes it work. I was looking back through the old Copperfield TV specials recently and you can see that whether the illusion is part of a story or just set to music, he always connects with the audience.

What I don't get is that people spend all this money on an illusion to get it done and out off the way in less then 2 minutes, it makes sense to get the most out of your investment and create a routine where the audience are enthralled by the whole performance not just the illusion, cause when you rely on just the illusion all that happens is the audience sit there discussing how you did it.
Instead of watching [b]and[/b] then discussing how you did it.

So why do so many go for the tada approach, because its easy
and that is such a shame.
The problem is some view is as easier when they are missing the point of a performance. You don't give people what they want, you give what they need. There is no easy way to do this except through creative thinking.

In the long run, one who does not do any storylines in their routines end up making it harder for themselves. I found this out the hard way and have gone back to storyline with illusions. Once you start it is pretty easy hard work.

Hopefully I made some sense there.