(Close Window)
Topic: John Born's "Meant To Be"
As I posted in another thread, John Born's book "Meant To Be" is probably my favorite book of all time. [b]If[/b] you're a ACAAN fanatic than this book is definitely for you. It has tons of great routines and ideas from many top pro's. He has a wonderfully unique style that reflects in his writing. The 34 page essay on creativity is worth the price of the book alone. It really gets you thinking about making your magic actually look magical instead of being just a mere trick.

His "Meant To Be" system is amazingly clever. It is one of the main focuses in this book. I haven't actually gone through it yet but I know it will be a wonderful show piece. Baker's Bested is probably one of my favorite routines in the book as well. [b]So[/b] easy and it kills. What I like about Born, is that he strives for simplicity whenever he can, but let me tell you, this guy has some crazy talent when it comes to manipulation especially with coins. Check out his DVD's "Cutting Edge Cards and Coins" if you don't believe me, which by the way is great too. A ton of material for the price you pay.

I hope people don't steer away from this book because they don't do a [b]memorized[/b] deck. Some of the best routines in the book don't use a memorized deck at all. So don't let this scare you away. There are easily over 20 routines in this book, that's not including all of the great ideas and techniques you get along the way. He has an excellent section on the dribble force which I know will help many of you.

By the way, if you order stuff directly from him, it will be at your doorstep within a couple days.. very fast delivery. He's a pleasure to do business with. Do yourself a favor and go pick it up now.

I wish the best to John, and hope he keeps putting out great stuff.
John Born is a great, awesome stuffs from a very talented magician.

His book is a great read, I really like to read about his theory and his involvement in magic and creating his ACAAN plot.

Cheers,
Andrew Loh
Where is this book available?
You can get it directly from John at johnborn.com
Yes, I quite like the book myself.

Incidentally, his book includes routines by a number of other people as well (his web page has them all listed).
Do any of the effects in this book use mem-deck?
[quote]
On 2006-11-26 17:50, Jay Elf wrote:
Do any of the effects in this book use mem-deck?
[/quote]

Yes but not all of them
Dear daddyof2,

I'm not sure but I've heard John Born's ACAAN effect uses two decks, which he performed at conventions. And get rave reaction.

I'm a mem-decker.
Thank you for your clarification.

@Jay@
Hey guys. Glad you are enjoying the book.

My featured creation in the book is with one deck, created with the ultimate named card, named number conditions in mind. However, my work on Al Baker's approach to the any card at any number with two decks that has gotten a lot of attention is also fully explained as well. The are many extremely good versions with and without memorized deck featured in Meant To Be.

Hope this helps...

John B. Born
John, judging by the high praise for your work, you obviously weren't Born yesterday, even though you were. Is your book mainly card effects?
Hi Todsky -

The purpose of the book is to exemplify how a systematic approach to creativity reaps huge rewards in effect. After sharing my systmatic approach, I exemplify it through the "Any card at any number" plot, as well as several other mysteries and techniques with a deck of cards.

You can reads more detailed reviews of the book here

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=162010&forum=110

http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0609meantobe.html

as well as last month's Genii Magazine with a review from Michael Close.

Hope this helps...

John B. Born
Thanks for that, John.

Todd
Hers a review...this is a great book...the first 80 pages will tell you so much about magic and what it should look like its one of my all time favorite books and its recommended for anyone who wants to be good....who wants to take it to a very high level

kozmo
I love this book! It is filled with terrific MemDeck magic.
But it was really great to read the way that he worked through the presentation problems. He set goals for what he wanted his trick(s) to look like, and then he whittled away at them until he had a near-perfect solution. It was quite educational just to follow his thinking.
I met John too. He's very friendly.
Just a quick questio, that may or may not have already been covered, but with regards to the mem deck routines in this book, does the book explain the actual systems, or do you need to already be familiar with a memorized deck system?
Just a few words, only about the high quality of service of Mr. JOHN BORN : the book is a small format and beautiful made.

It's clear that Mr.J.BORN has very high quality standards for his products.

Impressive delay of response : less than a week between the order and the reception of the book from U.S.A. to France ! (just one small drawback : the cover has been a little bit damaged during the tranport : may be a bubble warp would have been better than the thin warp supplied).

And now I start to read the book...
[quote]
On 2006-12-07 07:12, pkmagic wrote:
Just a quick questio, that may or may not have already been covered, but with regards to the mem deck routines in this book, does the book explain the actual systems, or do you need to already be familiar with a memorized deck system?
[/quote]

You need to already be familiar with a memorized deck
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Dec 7, 2006 06:01PM)
Oh dear, another must have book, I am afraid.

thanks for the review

Andy
You need to already be familiar with a memorized deck system? Is that true? I'd assume otherwise.
Im seriously considering buying this book for obvoius reasons - it sounds like a corker. However, I assumed that it explains methods using memorized stacks and inpromptu versions. Clearly, the memorized deck versions will be the cleanest of the effects, but does the book not teach one memorized system? If not, can anybody advise as to which system would be the best to learn with regard to the effects in this book?
John Born uses the Joyal stack, FWIW.
Where can I learn the Joyal Stack though? Does Juhn explain this in the book, or do I need to learn it from another source?
Pkmagic, you can learn about the Joyal Stack at Martin Joyal's site:
http://www.joyalstack.com
It is the subject of his book on memorized deck work, THE SIX HOUR MEMORIZED DECK (1997), published by Hermetic Press but now out of print.
Here is a link to his page showing the stack order:
http://www.joyalstack.com/Pages/MemorizedDeck/JoyalStack.html
I don't believe the memdeck work in John Born's book is specific to any particular stack.
Richard is absolutely correct; the memdeck work in John Born's book is not stack specific. And John does not give you information about how to learn a memorized deck.

Pkmagic, even though the Joyal book is out of print, you should still be able to find a copy if you look around a bit. (Maybe Richard can help you. :) ) Of course, you could use any of the other popular stacks, including the Aronson stack and Juan Tamariz's Mnemonica.
I just picked this one up based on the recommendations I've read here and in other threads. I'm only 90 pages in so far, but I have to say I'm quite struck by the ingenuity of Born's ACAAN "solution". I'm quite happy with this pick-up.
Ive been reading though but need to learn a Stack, now I hear that Joyal is the simplest, and its out of print "WHY WOULDNT IT BE" Anyway I'm not really into a lot of mem work at the same time I've never given it a shot, so what is my next step fellas?
I'm working on the Tamariz stack and I've found it a lot easier to learn than I expected. The methods taught in Mnemonica is very effective, and is fun to do.
[quote]
On 2007-07-24 20:21, paisa23 wrote:
Ive been reading though but need to learn a Stack, so what is my next step fellas?
[/quote]

I used new deck order for a MONTH after getting the book, while I practiced, got the routine down and performed. No memorization required, just subtract and add from 13, 26, 39, etc.
Stevens Magic (John worked there for about five years) has this as well.

Bob Phillips

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=9088
Joyal stack is what I use, and I had it down in six hours as the title states.
The thought of memorizing a full deck was intimidating, but it truly was very easy.
Memorized deck work, truly does open so many more doors, that I think someone don't truly relize until they actualy get one down.
I just received my copy of "Meant To Be"... I ordered it after reading the review in MAGIC (or Genii… not sure which it was). I also just started working on the 6 Hour MD (Joyal) a while back... nice coincidence. My initial look through Born’s book reveals some very creative (if not ingenious) ideas… lots of good stuff in this tome. Born and Joyal will keep me busy for (more than) a while I suspect.