(Close Window)
Topic: The Prestige for the Prestigeous
After making sure everyone in the audience has seen "The Prestige", either by having a private party when the DVD is finally released, or by having an after-theater party, the bizartist invites them to "watch closely." He gets into a curtained cabinet and closes the curtain. There are lightning flashes from within and electrical noises as from a high powered Tesla coil (steal them right off the soundtrack!). The curtain falls onto the floor of the cabinet, revealing that it is empty. The curtain should seem to be steaming or smoldering. Either from another cabinet, or just from a closet or another door to the room, the bizartist makes his reappearance. "Listen!" he commands. From the direction of the first empty cabinet, we hear a muffled gunshot, perhaps coming from beneath the floor. "You can't be afraid to get your hands dirty in this business," say the bizartist. "You have to be ready to die for your art."
I don't mean to sound offensive, but you seem to be suggesting to prep the audience for two and a half hours of movie to perform a five minute effect which by itself has no real frame of reference other than alluding to the movie? You might as well have them read the book so they have a deeper understanding of the "sacrifice" involved.
No, he is talking about using the effect to cap off watching the movie. And, yes, that did seem offensive.

Bill
In the Bay Area, we have some FRY's electronics stores, and one of them (they each have some decorative theme) has several large "Tesla" devices, a monster Jacob's ladder, and such. Every now and then they fire them up and the sound literally cracks through the entire store....I wonder........! What a venue!
k
Bill,

If you really are in a cave near Lhasa, a couple of things. First, even with heat yoga, you are probably freezing about now. Second, change the Latin to Tibetan (I think I will have to refresh my Tibetan language skills) :rotf:

Gotama (Stuart)
Long since departed from my cave near Lhasa.
Obviously vmendoza doesn't understand the sacrifice of living for one's art and that no preparation is too outlandish for the desired result in magic. He probably would not approve of Randi's setup of Richard Feynman which took a couple of days to accomplish. However, I am not offended by those who have no taste for this sort of bizarre magic. It takes true dedication, like living in a cave in Tibet.
Actually, Gotama, I don't need to use heat yoga (gTumo?), my physical body is really in Florida; only my astral body lives in that cave! And I'll have to refresh my Tibetan language skills right along with you! :rotf:

Sorry, Spellbinder, I guess I'm just not THAT dedicated :cry: (and I hate snow!)

Tashi delek,
Bill
I know Bill's in Tibet, He's using my Astral Compass.
Is that the compass you use to tell your elbow from your astral? Sorry... I can never pass up a feed-in like that.
Gee, that's something I never could figure out, compass or not! :arg:

Bill
While the Tesla Coil could never create a duplicate, it HAS been used to hold a quarter (the coin) in a time stassis so that when released, the quarter appears to have shrunk to a dime sized coin. That's pretty magical and bizarre by itself. I think one of those "Mysterious Box" effects, instead of being used to contact the "other world" might be rigged instead to duplicate the "Prestige" effect in miniature. You could simulate the lightning and static noises by having a strobe light and a voice recorder inside the box. The audience would not see this directly but as you open the box towards yourself, they would hear the crackling noises and see the flashes of light reflected from your body. Then you might toss a rubber ball into one box and immediately a rubber ball comes bouncing out of a second box near by and the first box is then shown to be empty. Or something like that.
Bill,

Okay, let's see: te tsi gzhas, te tsi zhabs bro, te tsi chu mar babs gos thung. (A little song, a little dance, a little water down the pants).

It is a little rough and needs work. I do not know the Tibetan for shelzter so I used water instead. I also used "zhabs bro" for dance instead of "'cham" that is normally used for a religious dance. Any help would be appreciated.

Gotama
ROTFLMAO! Thanks for that, Gotama!

My knowledge of Tibetan language is limited to a few words. I could never have translated "A little song..." into Tibetan. I think it is really cool that you did that.

Bill
Spellbinder, my astral compass directed me towards your website, and the Paypal button, Don't pick on my compass.
Bill, you really have to get out of your cave more if you want to learn the language. Egregor, your compass is in good hands; I only pick on guitars.
Spellbinder, most guys have to search for a girlfriend. The guitar player has his pick.
Bill,

The guitar player, however, tends to string them along.
:rolleyes: :yippee:

Touche'!