(Close Window)
Topic: Accent?
Hey R.P.
Welcome to the Café. Pull up a chair and grab a hot chocolate. Or a beer if you like stronger alcholohl. Your accent is different now, how would you describe it?
D. WAYNE
I was born on Cyprus, raised in Singapore and, by the time my parents returned to Scotland I had a strong southern ENGLISH accent! This was thanks to the military schools overseas - teachers and most friends were English.

After a year of having the English beaten out of me I developed a Scottish accent but it has never been a strong "Groundskeeper Willie" type accent.

When I was in the forces I picked up pieces of other accents without really trying. I can't mimic an accent at all so it seems to be a natural habit from somewhere.

Since I started travelling so much my accent has flattened out even more but the Scottish comes back whenever I'm home.

There's one advantage to this - unlike many of my countrymen, I am easily understood abroad without resorting to carefully pronouncing every syllable!

P
[quote]
On 2006-12-12 03:25, R P Wilson wrote:
There's one advantage to this - unlike many of my countrymen, I am easily understood abroad without resorting to carefully pronouncing every syllable![/quote]

Pardon? ;)

Sorry, Paul! Couldn't resist that one!!!

Peter
:)