(Close Window)
Topic: Most Powerful Impromptu Trick You Know
When I say Impromptu I don't mean no props (coin, cards, you name it), just no gimmicks.

When I say powerful, I am talking about something that is as powerful as [b]Sinful[/b] and Reformation.
And that would be??
Man... I bet this list is going to be [b]short[/b]....
Huum no props at all:)

levitation: the balduci move
street magic: Feeze from paul Harris

that's the 2 that comes to my mind right now:)
Doc Daileys last trick

ambitious card

coins across

bill switch

crazy mans handcuffs
Stigmata, Twisting Arm, Ring and String.
Gregory Wilson's "On the Spot" DVD has a lot of winners. Florida Keys, Recap, 3/4 Across, A questionable Trick etc.
You're post is too vague, there are hundreds of tricks that don't need gimmicks, ask any card manipulator!
Gotta love Banachek's PK Time.
But it isn't really just a trick. It's a twisted and incredible moment.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Dec 20, 2006 07:03AM)
Guess it depends on your taste. You seem to like effects with kickers, so try stigmata.

Andy
Banachek's PK Time, DG's Quarters (modified), stigmata, amibicious card, or sinful. All good. And I'm starting to like that KAOS CTW.
You said it in your opener. Nothing cleaner and more stunning an effect than [b]Sinful[/b].
Benson Bowl with all borrowed stuff. [b]Nothing stronger[/b] for me.
I'll second Daddyof2. Crazy Man's Handcuffs is one of the most powerful penetrations you can do. Two ordinary rubber bands passing through one another is a miracle in my eyes. :)

The best,

Cameron
Impromptu at its finest = Apollo doing pickpocketing.
[quote]
On 2006-12-21 20:46, Pete Biro wrote:
[/quote]

Pete, is that Roy Benson's Bowl with sponge balls with borrowed stuff? Sounds great. Is it in Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic by Gardner?
Here's my top 5 for impromptu effects in NO particular order

1) My own version of a CARD STAB (inspired by Ted Lesley BUT totally impromptu). If your a member a magicvideodepot.com you can watch it. Just type danik's card stab in the search box. Tell me what you think.

2) RING OF TRUTH (Banachek) Something different involving the audience. Plays big.

3) DEVASTATION (Geoff Williams) That one really kills the laymen. My favorite impromtu effect out there along with my card stab version.

4) Good old TRIUMPH

5) Any good AMBITIOUS CARD routine
EKN
Slo Mo Coins
Mr. Clean Coins Across
Trapeze Trio
Ring Thing
A Back In Time effect by jim Pace
Mr. Clean Coins Across is a favorite of mine!
PK touches! All you need are fingers!
[quote]
On 2006-12-22 18:13, Tom Bartlett wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-12-21 20:46, Pete Biro wrote:
[/quote]

Pete, is that Roy Benson's Bowl with sponge balls with borrowed stuff? Sounds great. Is it in Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic by Gardner?
[/quote]
I have the Martin Gardner book here, I can't find any mention of it. I can't remember seeing the details in print, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Bruce Elliott mentioned it in "Classic Secrets of Magic" but didn't describe the routine. Johnny Thompson teaches it on Volume 1 of his "Commercial Classics" video series.
If someone at college ask me to show them something I usually do ReCap followed by coin in cap. I really like doing magic with pencils: they remind me of magic wands. I might even be able to do a cups and balls at the Caféteria :P (Carton coffee cups, rolled up paper, HB pencil)
You can't go wrong with mr clean coins across and cmh.
Impromptu to me means somebody walks up to me, I'm completely unprepared, and asks me to do something. For that, I immediately go into Conti-Mental.
For me it's a bill switch and Kundalini Rising.
Well, let's see...SINFUL is great, but I'm not ready to show that...I have MUCH more practice to do...

I tried KAOS (Card Thru Window) recently...it got WOW's all around...but the MOST powerful?

Prohibition (Cap In Glass Bottle)!!

I've heard the words, "Holy ****!" more often doing Prohibition, than ANY impromptu trick I've done. That one stands alone, in my opinion.

Doug
I'm surprised Kaos doesn't get more attention. Despite the hyped-up production values, the effect is really in the miracle class.
Signed coin in coke can as performed by Criss Angel.
[quote]
On 2007-01-08 03:36, breeze4507 wrote:
[/quote]

Yep. That was going to be my suggestion. Borrowed can of sealed soda. Borrowed quarter. No gimmicks. Amazing reactions.
Recap! Cheers.
My favorite is Impromtu out of This World with their cards.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I rather like Mixed Symbols by Jim Sisti. To avoid redundancy I already described it here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=165683&forum=206&start=60

Look down the page

I like it because its impromptu and nearly self working. I've gotten some nice reactions from it. I usually have a deck on me since I'm working through RRTCM and the deck provides me with distraction if I'm caught somewhere waiting (doctor's office, picking up the wife, etc).

Cheers,

Kevin
My favorite is my Card Stab. You can watch it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWU8c68M4aI

Hope you like it!

PS: I also love devastation by Geoff Williams

Danik
Does prohibition really qualify?
I would
Coin through soda can
Kaos
Torn
3 Fly
Stigmata
Don't forget a couple of oldies but goodies:

Crazy Man's Handcuffs

Coin-thru-table under salt shaker ;)
[quote]
On 2007-01-12 22:30, Danik1 wrote:
My favorite is my Card Stab. You can watch it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWU8c68M4aI

Hope you like it!

PS: I also love devastation by Geoff Williams

Danik
[/quote]

Hah! A cheese knife, no less!
I really love Coin Through Soda Can that Criss Angel performed. I do it every chance I get.
Stigmata, Twisting Arm Illusion, and Recap are also favorites of mine.
Tomer
Devastation and Match/No Match by Geoff Williams
Indecent...(wow)....
I like shade although I need a lot more practice, sinful is good I do any of the pick a card tricks that use the Basic sleights, part one of Rubbermaid with just the Ring and the rubber band.

The Biddle trick gets good reactions for my classmates at school and at the end of my card tricks I usually throw in a few manipulations such as the Snap production (one of my favorites of all time Lol) and a couple Ken brooks singles.

These are usually enough tricks to make the people happy and at the very end I do the Cards from mouth ...all impromptu and all great in my opinion, and I know I left a lot out.
The best in my opinion is Magician's Mind Control by Steve Fearson. It's found on his free download page. It is so awesome!!!

I also like the French Drop (a routine I devised), Stigmata, and Sinful.
I do a mini ambitious card with a triumph ending into a card revelation on my skin (actually a tattoo). It's probably one of the strongest things I perform impromptu.
Hundy 500 I carry it in my wallet so I can perform it anytime.
When they see the five one dollar bills turn into five hundred dollar bills
most people drop their jaws.
Silver Dream and Aaron DeLong's Haunted Pack cataclysmic.
Justin N. Miller
Reversal by Banachek. If done correctly, it is as close to real magic as it can be. And best of all, completely impromptu.
Greg Arce's Scorch. I have the card in my wallet at all times, but you can also write a prediction on a piece of paper.

For that matter, Free Will with borrowed objects is excellent.
For me it would have to be a spoon bending routine, a la Banachek's Psychokinetic Silverware. It is so strong and uncanny to see. That or a center tear divination of a thought of name. Both effects push the 'belief' envelope.

David Tong mentions reversal by Banachek: much as I love that effect, I too frequently encounter people whose mathematical abilities are woefully inadequate. This has dropped off my list for this sad reason, too many people just can't handle the maths!
I always get the best reactions from spoon bending (Gallerian Bend and PK Silverware influenced). I've also floored with Mindbender.

Funny thing is, I'm not much of a mentalist. I guess my personality just lends itself to making weird faces while crap bends.
The one my grandfather used to show me with his thumb.....He could pull it right off his hand and put it back on. REALLY he could....

or

Messiah vanish (sankey)
My version of Harry Lorayne's Broken and restored rubberband called Breakaway Bracelet,, this effect gets nothing but gasps.......
vinny
I like to use a verblal card forces or if I get the chance a key bend.
What about:
1. Silver Dream
2. Indecent
3. KaoS
4. Any good Spoon bend
5. Sinful

also this is about a good street magic performance you can get. Completely impromptu and great for any party. Inf act I only use these trcks when I'm at partys. The magic is fast and very good.
One of my favorites is "Stigmata" with a business card. That really blows people away as you borrow everything...especially their thoughts!!

Posted: Feb 10, 2007 2:12am
Sorry I forgot to mention in the above that Gregory Wilson's "On the Spot" gives some good ideas, but they do take some practice as does any good illusion.

Posted: Feb 10, 2007 12:59pm
I forgot to mention "Indecent" and "Sinful" as well!!
I like sinful...really like it and also if it can considered impromptu prohibited its VERY strong. Almost like sinful.
.3 Fly

.Out of this World

.Sinful
Greg wilsons all around vanish,always gets good reactions.
I must put another check beside recap! It catches these people totally offguard and who expects the pencap to end up in the ear? It's just great! Gets the people comforitable
[quote]
On 2007-01-08 03:36, breeze4507 wrote:
[/quote]

That'd be SINFUL. :)
INDECENT DVD :: Reno Outtake
Greetings!

I just posted an outtake from the INDECENT DVD on You Tube - I thought you guys might enjoy it. It ended up getting cut from the DVD because of audio problems, but the reaction was GREAT! It just keeps going... and going... and going... If you are interested, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YkF8WOYns

I'll talk to you guys soon!

W:H
Wayne Houchin
http://www.waynehouchin.com
Sinful, Indecent, and King Rising
Hi Wayne;
I'm new to magic, and want a real killer trick for a few specs, family & friends. I have good patience with training, but don't know much sleight of hand as of now... Which one out of Sinful; Stigmata and Indecent would you recommend?
Cheers;
Mr cleans coins across and gadabout coins for me and jay sankys one coin flurry from rev....
Banacek's Pschy Touches is indeed fearsome. You need nothing, except 2 spectators.
Magicians who have been present when I have performed this swear it's stooges. Ha ha.
Another great impromptu is Marc Paul's Any time, Any place Any Book, book test.
All you need is to be given a book. no preparation. Flick the pages open, they look at a word. You tell them the word. It's as quick as that.
Sly and subtle.
Allen Tipton UK
[quote]
On 2007-02-17 01:35, W:H wrote:
INDECENT DVD :: Reno Outtake
Greetings!

I just posted an outtake from the INDECENT DVD on You Tube - I thought you guys might enjoy it. It ended up getting cut from the DVD because of audio problems, but the reaction was GREAT! It just keeps going... and going... and going... If you are interested, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YkF8WOYns

I'll talk to you guys soon!

W:H
Wayne Houchin
http://www.waynehouchin.com
[/quote]

I wouldnt say this is that impromptu, I like more stuff that is really done anywhere at anytime, because when do you carry a zip lock bag with you? I don't know anyone who deos this!! so the fact thsat you need to bring the bag with you takes the impromptu side away, i´d rather take my thimb tip with me and vanish a silk. or do a card to ceiling or bring an invisible deck.

as impromtu tricks, sinful is not bad but I like more the kind of things you do when sitting on a restaurant with someone, or at a party, or simply at school, job or walking around.

I like a lot the ring thing, great routine from gregory wilson, or coins across, and my new favourite is the old paper balls over the head from Slydini, great trick!
Just gimme a good old fashion pocket knife, a key, coins, etc. If you are a magician worth your salt, you ought to be able to perform at a moments notice.
Houchin all the way:

1. Sinful- Isn't this a Houchin, and not Angel origination?;
2. Incdecent;
3 Stigmata
My favorite impromptu effect is Stigmata. I also like to perform Sinful.
I like Warp One if there's a card available. A little slight with coins is a good time. If I literally have nothing to perform with you can very quickly whip up a mentalism trick with a few items. Quarter in the sugar packet is super lame but can impress. The devil coin (more slight) ALWAYS gets 'em. I've been doing the PK silverware bending and keep getting great reactions. Crazyman handcuffs is also really great as well in the office.
1) My sponge ball routine (SPONGE BALLS!!!)
2) Three-Phase coin vanish/reappearannce.
3) ACR.
Crazy Mans..
Pinnacle
Sinful
Stigmata /with Number from 10-100, uneven, no doubles...
Warp One
Kaos
The Phantom Safety Pin. Tarbell Vol. 3
Coin in and out of pencap routine.
M
Well, if Prohibition is considered "impromptu", I'd also have to include a variation of John Archer's 4-card presentation of Kolossal Killer (using equivoque and ultra-thin manipulation cards) and the index of the Stealth Assassin.
Do you have a link to Sinful? I am embarrassed to admit I don't know it.
Nevermind. found it on youtube. coin in soda can.
Where can I find John Archer's version of KK? Also, since the SA wallet is smaller than a poker-sized cards, do you fold your cards or use bridge size?

Thanks.
I always carry a TT - that way I'm always prepared for a bill switch, a cigarette vanish, salt up the sleeve, mustard pack vanish, water suspension or what have you. I know the thread started on the no gimmick principle, but its smaller and easier to carry than a pack of cards and lets me adapt to whatever situation I'm in so I feel like I'm always prepared to perform some sort of impromptu miricle that isn't a card trick. Don't leave home without it.
A bill effect and prohibition as I considered it impromtu.
Other than cards? Recap
When I think of impromptu magic...
I think of only ordinary objects, no extras, no gimmicks, no set up what soever.
And I don't consider Prohibition to be impromptu.
It can't be done without being prepared, so it doesn't count.

Crazy man handcuffs & Skinner Matches.

Skinner matches, or my version of it, is the best impromptu bar magic there is.
Pick up a book of matches.
Do a couple of passes, the penetration, throw a couple of lit ones in your mouth, make one vanish and end up back in the pack that you burned up.
Very good stuff.

Randi
I'd have to second (third, fourth???) CMH. So simple but really effective!
THE CRAZY MAN'S HANDCUFFS

;)
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Mar 31, 2007 07:36PM)
The Two strongest impromptu effects I do are Recap by Gregory Wilson and an effect called Sanswitch which can be found in MAGIC Magazine in the 2001 issues (Cannot remember which one).

Michael Kras
[quote]
On 2007-02-19 06:06, fless wrote:
Hi Wayne;
I'm new to magic, and want a real killer trick for a few specs, family & friends. I have good patience with training, but don't know much sleight of hand as of now... Which one out of Sinful; Stigmata and Indecent would you recommend?
Cheers;
[/quote]

I don't have any experience with Indecent, but Sinful and Stigmata can be done without knowing any sleights of hand, just some training. They are both really good effects and on top of that really easy to perform as well.
If it counts as a trick, the boomerang rubberband gets huge reactions.
Stigmata.
[quote]
On 2007-02-25 17:10, leverkus wrote:
[quote]
I like a lot the ring thing, great routine from gregory wilson
[/quote]

Ring Thing is from Garret Thomas, not Greg Wilson.
The Ring Thing. It's the best impromptu effect. Just a ring on your finger and you are set to go!
Just one or two coins is enough to do some really strong magic
I'm a huge fan of Gregory Wilson's Recap. It gets incredible reactions everytime I do it.
1. Recap
2. Crazy man's handcuffs
3. Twisting Arm illusion
4. Triumph
5. Center Tear
Yeah Recap!
If its strong totally impromptu magic, its more about how you perform. The effects you'd use would depend entirely upon the situation. Someone random walks upto you and asks to see some magic. Borrow whatever you can off them. You could entertain with strong magic for ages with a borrowed coin or two.

I regularly borrow coins and rings and perofrm strong magic. They key is that the object is borrowed, and whatever routines your doing creates the illusion that the magic happens in there hands, with there object.

Chan
I like the idea of Pete Biro's Benson bowl with borrowed items, but the sponge balls would be difficult to borrow? Maybe to do it with their ball and your sponges which you can leave them to look at after the effect, this would be almost as good?
If I have nothing on me at all I usually do Stigmata. I hype up the effect and it gets tremendous reactions. I always have my business cards and a pen so this is great. At the end everyone is freaked out and wants my card. I even get a few infamous slur words to go along with it. Its trully killer.
Kirkham did impromptu magic often but improvised it on the spot. He just simply used his vast store of methods to come up with an effect.

There were two magic shops on Hollywood Blvd. One was run by a guy who was outside the regular pack of magicians. He was a bit confrontational to other magicians that came in his shop.

Kirkham, Kelly Green and Torchy Towner were visiting the shop. The owner confronted Kirkham with "If you're so good, lets see you vanish this" handing him a fake turnip. Chuck asked for a scarf, draped it over the turnip, had the stem sticking out visibly. He shook the cloth and the turnip was gone.

He did a variation of the napkin vanish that was going around in the 60's.
Message: Posted by: Johnny Butterfield (Jun 23, 2007 12:07PM)
Triumph
Twisting The Aces
Torn and Restored Match (from one Jay Sankey dvd or the other - probably Anytime Anywhere)
Partial Knowledge (on Sankeys Anytime Anywhere)
Hanging Coins
CMH
When you say NO props... rip the buton off of the spectators shirt and put it back...They usually drop their mouth wide open when they hear your thumbnail make the noise.

When you say NO props, there are several streching and missing finger moves that are not commonly known or published which are very efffective.

Jay Leslie
My aspiration in life is to be the next David Coppernickel, David Blaine, and Chris Angel combined..so in that case I would perform the "TT"...no.no..I would do the "raven"..If you want to know the truth you can find me performing random acts of 3 card monte at any given time..I'd say that's my alltime favorite.
This is it!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=215170&forum=15&1
You can see who I've performed it for on the Café in the link supplied at the bottom. :)
Café Tested!
Personally, here's the ones that get good reactions for me.

1) Twisting arm.
2) Finger fantasies (only for one or two due to angles).
3) Multiplying cigarettes followed by vanishing cigarettes and finally torn and restored cigarette.

These work for me because I don't need anything apart from my body and my cigarettes (yes, I'm a smoker). But remember: Smoking is EXTREMELY bad for your health! DO NOT take up smoking just to perform a few tricks. IT'S NOT WORTH IT!
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Jun 30, 2007 12:53AM)
Recap :)

Quarter Up The Nose By Mike Skutt

STUCK BY Greg Rostami

Twisting Arm Illusion

Shirt Happens by Angelo Carbone
My UNBIASED favorite impromptu tricks are . . .

1. STUCK!
2. Galerian Bend
3. Penomenon
4. My version of ReCap with a coin.
5. Ring Thing
6. Twisted arm Illusion
7. Ghost Bills
8. Pen through Bill (ala Misleading Mislead)
9. Warped with Business Cards
10. Matrix with Bus. Cards and quarters
11. And if I can find a deck . . . COSMOS 2 (demo coming soon)

Even though I absolutely LOVE Prohibition, I don’t consider it impromptu.
If I can find a quarter, marker, the right kind of unopened can, a knife or pliers, I love doing Sinful. I’ve gotten AMAZING reactions from Sinful, until someone tries putting their own quarter into a can. Even with Pete Biro’s addition to Sinful, I sometimes get caught by the logic of the coin fitting through the opening of the can.

cheers,
Greg Rostami
Stealing watches
5) Ambitious Card
4) 3/4 Across
3) A Questionable Trick
2) Stigmata
1) Whack Your Pack
Cardiographic and multiplying bottles, great one two punch. And they're always even morfe amazed at how I can carry all that suff on me without it being noticed.

GlenD